PDA

View Full Version : Where did the vehicle's go

grfegfg
17th Jul 2003, 02:30
Why haven't the last Tombraiders got any vehicle's? I remember tr2 and tr3 whit boats, quad bikes snow scooters, canoe's, the underwater unit's in tr3 when Ii tried chronicles (I haven't tried tr1 and tr4) there where no vehicle's, and when aod was released there where no vehicle's either

owen10
17th Jul 2003, 02:44
Another of AoD's unfortunate failings. Ah well, we can hope for some in the sequel, I suppose.

Nobody
17th Jul 2003, 02:59
yeah, thats right not the kind of a game play we expected, maybe coz the enviroments was little and wasn't that much opened to ride vehicles...

I think that figures it out...:D

GoranAgar
17th Jul 2003, 06:18
Originally posted by grfegfg
and when aod was released there where no vehicle's either
But there is:

http://home.t-online.de/home/plasma1/load/TR-Vehicle.jpg

XanderD2
17th Jul 2003, 06:52
They left out the vehicles probably because it would be an embarassment instead of a joyride due to the frequent pauses when the game loads the next part of a level.

Ringwraith6
17th Jul 2003, 10:50
Am i the only one who hates Vehicles in Tomb Raider? Most of them controlled badly (the quad bike and the cursed Underwater Prepolsion Unit?) they were utterly frustrating and apart from the Jeep levels in The Last Revelation and the Kayak i've never had any fun with any of the vehicles!! So good ridance to vehicles and let's and i for ine hope that they never make it back... If you want to drive cars and such buy GTA for God's Sake!!!

P.S. That suit Lara used in Chronicles to get the Spear Of Destiny WAS a vehicle in the same sense the U.P.U. was in T.R. III so this is the second T.R. without any vehicle in it (you people seem to forget that the original didn't have any vehicles either...)

RebeL_fARmeR
17th Jul 2003, 12:09
I never bothered with the UPU, I just swam about. I like vehicles for getting from A to B quickly but I'm not absolutely nuts about them.

Goran, I'd love to go for a drive in that digger, great fun!!!

As for "where are the vehicles in AOD?" They were all stolen.

D3v1L80Y
17th Jul 2003, 15:11
Maybe I am going to get stoned for this, but I absolutely HATED the vehicles in previous games. I found some of them a bit difficult to maneuver and at least for me, they took away from the gameplay. And you could not even shoot from them while you were driving (the land rover in Last Revelation comes to mind). Sure you could use some of them to just run over the baddies, but I would have rather shot them. In fact one of the reasons I like the first game over the others is the fact that there are no vehicles. So I am one of the few I suppose who is not upset that they are not in AOD.

snake
17th Jul 2003, 15:12
I m afraid that we will miss many nice things in this game. Now mr Kurt drives instead of us. No double pistols either. No good jumps.
No strong Lara. No mysterious silent Lara. No controls. No good music. The game is in my ps2 and I dont want to play it. Whats wrong with me??

Mangar The Dark
17th Jul 2003, 15:20
Originally posted by D3v1L80Y
Maybe I am going to get stoned for this, but I absolutely HATED the vehicles in previous games. I found some of them a bit difficult to maneuver and at least for me, they took away from the gameplay.

You’re not the only one who hated the vehicles. I remember whenever I’d see a vehicle in the previous games, I would think, “Oh no, here we go.” They were very clumsy to control, and I especially hated them in TR2 where you took damage every time you bumped into a wall. At least by TR3 the designers were a bit more lenient (they probably realized the controls the sucked.) Now, with all the complaints leveled against the controls in AOD, did anyone REALLY want to try maneuvering a quadbike through its levels?

Anyway, I think vehicles will return eventually. The design team had to much other stuff to work out with the new engine. They could barely get it working even as it is, so the last thing they needed to do was add something extra. Since the engine will remain the same in the next two games, I would be surprised if we don’t see some enhancements like vehicles and new moves (that’s what happened with TR2 and 3… same engine as TR1, but with additions.)

D3v1L80Y
17th Jul 2003, 15:26
Originally posted by Mangar The Dark
you took damage every time you bumped into a wall

Yeah, I never understood that either. Here you are, in a boat, jeep, quad-bike etc....surrounded by supposedly steel, wood or whatever....and you still took damage and lost health when you ran into something. And the stupid things never seemed to stop when you hit the brakes, leaving you to careen off the edge of a cliff.

Mangar The Dark
17th Jul 2003, 15:49
Originally posted by D3v1L80Y
And the stupid things never seemed to stop when you hit the brakes, leaving you to careen off the edge of a cliff.

Oh yeah... I can't even begin to count how many times I've had to watch Lara's jeep/quad/whatever plunge into a pit and burst into a fireball because the stupid thing wouldn't stop in time. So, as a result, I'd usually drive at a crawling speed... woohoo! what fun!

So, all things considered, I can't say I'm too cut up about the lack of vehicles in AOD.

jumper5836
17th Jul 2003, 17:48
I guess the people who don't like the vehicles becuase they are hard to control are console people.
Get a pc and stop wasting your time with crappy graphics and controllers.
The reason why the PC game is going down hill is becuase they are wasting time developing for the console game. Screw the console games.
I loved the vehicles and was extremly disappointed in tr-5 and AOD.

Mangar The Dark
17th Jul 2003, 18:20
Originally posted by jumper5836
I guess the people who don't like the vehicles becuase they are hard to control are console people.
The reason why the PC game is going down hill is becuase they are wasting time developing for the console game. Screw the console games.
I loved the vehicles and was extremly disappointed in tr-5 and AOD.

Um, I can't speak for the other vehicle haters out there, but I never owned or played a console system in my life (except back in the 80s when I had a ColecoVision.) All my TR games are PC only, and I just don't like the vehicles.

D3v1L80Y
17th Jul 2003, 18:27
Originally posted by jumper5836

I do have a PC, three to be exact. Plus a Macintosh and a Linux box. I have played the games on both console and PC. In an action/adventure 3rd person game like TR, I prefer the console as it is a bit easier to control. I play mainly FPS games on PC as I find the mouse/keyboard better suited for that purpose. That is beside the point, though. I just hate the vehicles in the game.

grfegfg
17th Jul 2003, 22:07
i agree, pc's are much better, they get faster all the time, while playstation stands putt

grfegfg
17th Jul 2003, 22:10
what kind of vehicles where there in tr1 and tr 4???

D3v1L80Y
17th Jul 2003, 22:35
what kind of vehicles where there in tr1 and tr 4???

TR I had none. TR4 had the Land Rover and the Motorcycle

JohnnyZ
17th Jul 2003, 22:35
TR1 - none
TR2- boat, snowmobile
TR3 - quadbikes, kayak, boat, mine cart, that underwater thing in london lol
TR4- motorbike, jeep
TR5- another underwater suit thingie lol
TR AOD - none

OK NOW??? lol
:D

tomb_raiding
18th Jul 2003, 00:02
Well there is a motocycle in AOD at the cafe metro, but I never tried it oud, I thought Kurtis will shoot Lara if I did :D

salvestrom
18th Jul 2003, 00:42
I thought the Skidoo's were the bees knees. I loved them. But playing TR III just recently I found the Quad bike was a pain to control.

Mostly I blame the arse about face way the controls were done. No brakes = no fun, since it makes driving about widlly as you make the run in one go nearly impossible. Accelerate and decelearte/reverse should never have been put on the jump and action keys. They should have been on forward and back arrows with action as the brakes and jump as the hand brake.

I always wanted to ride a bike trough a tomb raider. Through a tomb even. Gonna have to get LR it seems :)

As for AoD. Definitely room for a vehicle on the ride to Prague, trying to navigate some dificult terrain or something, instead of just rolling into the quadrangle :/

Sal

Mangar The Dark
18th Jul 2003, 12:45
u can't drive that motorbike

I think he was kidding (hence the big smilie face.)

Grave_Robber
18th Jul 2003, 13:04
U couldnt really have had vehicles in TR1. how was a tomb probably 1000s of years old that no one has been in before gonner have some modern vehicle.

Mangar The Dark
18th Jul 2003, 13:09
Originally posted by Grave_Robber
U couldnt really have had vehicles in TR1. how was a tomb probably 1000s of years old that no one has been in before gonner have some modern vehicle.

Good point. But apparently the ancient civilizations did leave behing plenty of medpacks, guns and ammo, so why not a landrover? lol.