PDA

View Full Version : A story of addiction...

James Kein
17th Jul 2003, 01:01
Okay, I came on the net to find the answer to a hand of midas question. someone suggested consulting a walkthrough.

I looked for what I needed, and that was it. I passed it. Then the next level was confusing. i didn't know where to go, so I consulted the walkthrough. Pretty soon I was having my little sister read off sentince by sentince what I needed to do. Eliminating my brain, and my fun.

I have now (after a full day) realised that I am addicted. It does help you, but I find that it takes away something from the game. Figuring things out for myself was/is part of the fun!!! Part of me wants the easy road while part of me wants the fun road.

So I ask you - when is the appropriate time to consult the walkthrough? How much should one rely on it?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

AmO
17th Jul 2003, 01:05
well in my humble opinion, :p we should only consult the walkthrough when we are hoplessly stuck for a certain time and we really need to get on with the game.:D

Lord Pomposity
17th Jul 2003, 03:35
I ussually only do it if the level is pissing me off anyway *cough* Lud's Gate *cough*.

On a more serious note, i recommend trying The Tomb Raider Traveller's Guide (http://trinity.westhost.com/tomb/). It has a section that only drops hints without being a know-it-all blabbermouth.

THE True Lara
17th Jul 2003, 10:47
If you find yourself getting stuck stop playing, leave the game, and do something else for a few hours (or days ;) ) come back and start a fresh.
If you're still stuck after a while. Find a walkthrough, but only read one line (even if it doesn't entirely make sense) then go back and try and work from there. :)

To be honest I've only used walkthroughs when I'm lazy and want to get through the level in a hurry.
If you have the time, you can usually work out any problem if you just get a little distance or change your perspective -or in some cases, the lighting ;)

James Kein
18th Jul 2003, 00:01
these are all good suggestions. Now I only look at the walkthrough when I am in a room and can't figure out how to get passed it (I was in the first egypt level today, in the room with the sphinx and I couldn't find any keys to any room... skimmed to that part of the walkthrough "...go behind sphinx's head..." and tada!)

The game is officially fun again.

MR_BASKETBALL_MAN
19th Jul 2003, 17:54
I have had the same problem as you James.

I don't even try to beat it without a walkthrough now.

I need a psychiatriast.

James Kein
20th Jul 2003, 02:14
we should start "Walkthroughers Anonymous" LOL

Solange
20th Jul 2003, 17:14
You could also avoid the walkthrough by coming here and ask for hints. You can ask people to just point you in the right direction. That way the game wouldn't be ruined. Problem is it might take a few hours before you get an answer.

Did you enjoy "The Cistern"?

James Kein
21st Jul 2003, 02:42
When I got to the big room in it I looked around... tried it for a bit... and then went to the walkthrough for the entire level - it was kinda scary.

Solange
21st Jul 2003, 08:00
Too bad! I had so much fun there! And the music & sounds were so spooky! :) I also got stuck there, but my brother was kind enough to tell me that it's possible to swim through spikes... By that time I had almost given up! :D

Feisty Croc
21st Jul 2003, 20:08
I tell myself NO MORE LOOKING AT WALKTHROUGHS...then I just can't resist. And I can;t just look at the one bit I need to, I have to take a sneaky look at further in in the level. Then I hate myself for it. I am so WEAK :mad: :mad:

Lone Raider
25th Jul 2003, 15:29
we should start "Walkthroughers Anonymous" LOL

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!

seriously, some levels, like Lud´s Gate :mad: I would have never done without following good old Stella bit by bit:)
Usually, I only give up after I died around 15 times, then look for that very bit and ignore the rest... until the next impossibility is upon me again... like, in AOD, the bit in the room with that fish thingy swimming about and I just COULDN´T make it to the platform by climbing.
One walkthough said, just do a running jump. But I thought, why would they bother with a climbable wall if u didn´t need it? and found someone here in the forum who told me how to do it tombraiderstyle.....:rolleyes:

LittleSpender
25th Jul 2003, 18:23
Walkthroughs should only be consulted after you've beaten the game. Which is fine in theory, but I don't think I stuck to that on Last Revelation, certainly not Chronicles and only mostly on AoD.

TR1 was fantastic. I had it when it was first out in 1996, and I didn't have internet access then. I remember being stuck on Lost Valley for over a week looking for the last cog. I explored every pixel of that level and died a hundred times, but I'll tell you what - I didn't miss a pick-up or secret. Didn't go to bed before 3am any night if I recall.

TR2 and 3 weren't so hard, but Last Revelation was impossible, and several times, but only after a couple of hours of stuckedness, and I was consulting a web-based walkthrough.

Chronicles got boring for me after a while, and I only let myself be stuck for about 5 mins before needing a hint, and AoD is so easy I think I only needed one hint.

Seriously though, I get tons more enyoyment from a game if I'm stuck for ages, then suddenly manage to figure out or stumble on the answer instead of looking it up in a walkthrough. My suggestion - lock it in a cupboard (the walkthrough, not your sister!)

Jewell
27th Jul 2003, 03:29
Originally posted by James Kein

I looked for what I needed, and that was it. I passed it. Then the next level was confusing. i didn't know where to go, so I consulted the walkthrough... Eliminating my brain, and my fun.

*puts head in hands*
I have sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo been there. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too many times. It is so hard to put the walkthrough away- once you go walkthrough you'll never go back- I am always stuck, lol.
I've come up with a system- after wracking my brain and dying for at least 2hrs straight, i consult a walkthrough- but only a few lines, and then close the window (and never add it to your favorites), make sure it's hard to get to, or forget where you got it, or use a different one every time- that way it will be difficult to get to and you'll play the game for a while longer before going for help.
Hehe... wow... I really am an addict :p
And after reading this I look like a pretty bad "raider" *sob* ;)

felixthamuss
28th Jul 2003, 02:37
I admit it - I'm a walkthrough junkie too.
Started only to get a hint, then I needed another fix and then more and more until - god dammit I'd finished the game with the walkthrough, and was totally hooked. Mind you I was playing TR3 and had been stuck at that *beepin* swamp for days and days. Ohhh and LR - never would have got through that with out my walkthrough holding my hand all the way - I feel like such a cheat..........but at least I did finish 1, 2 and AOD without one - maybee that evens it out.

Walkthrough Anon - I like that idea, maybee Stella could head it up - cos she got me addicted in the first place!!

WesternWhiteWolf
31st Jul 2003, 21:13
You call yourselves walkthrough junkies???? I'm the junkie to end all junkies. I've gone through entire games sentence by sentence! (Poor pitiful me!) I guess it's because I started at a young age....cripes, using walkthroughs is like smoking!!!!:eek:

I don't understand: for me you can still use a walkthrough and have fun. It's like I read ahead a little and you see a scary or a cool part of the game and you say: I can't WAIT until I get there!!! Also, there's still a lot of tough parts because you just don't know what an areas going to be like until you get there, and it might be tough until you get it right.

Anyway, DON'T say that I'm not a true TR fan/expert or whatever just because I use walkthroughs. I'm not a puzzle person, I'm a combat person. It also means that you're making fun of a person who at the age of 9 didn't know any better.

I don't know if I can be helped. I'm like a smoker who has been smoking for like 40+ years. Playing w/o a walkthrough would really piss me off. :eek: Like withdrawal symptoms!!!!!:eek:

baylisst
1st Aug 2003, 08:37
i started tomb raidering when i was about 9, and i was using walkthroughs about 6 years ago to do TR1 when i first got it, i then gradually got worse and worse throughout the first 4 trs.

then when trc came out my brother got it (:mad: ) so i had a break from walkthroughs (they ruined the games for me, cause i ALWAYS remember what to do in what order) and then AOD comes out after about 3 yrs of playing my last TR session.

i found i was completely cured of my walkthrough addiction :eek: :D and didnt use it ONCE. now im back to the first few TRs and am remembering where to go and its really p**sing me off:(

my point is that if youre new to a game and the second you get stuck DONT USE A WALKTHROUGH, get a hint off a friend who has already done that bit instead

Feisty Croc
10th Aug 2003, 21:40
\o/

Just come back from holiday where we took our PS2 but had no internet access and I am proud to say we have gone from the Louvre to right near the end of the game with no help. This must mean I am showing improvement..... or does it just prove that AOD just isn't as detailed, difficult and imaginative as the first 4? (Chronicles doesn't count in my house as I thought it was not even worthy of a mention).

Anyway, I am proud of my achievement in a sad way!

millnatla
18th Aug 2003, 22:12
Good grief people they are not that hard to play. I suggest that if you need walkthroughs that bad , that you give up gaming and buy some lego . That might better suit you.:rolleyes:

Jewell
20th Aug 2003, 19:21
Originally posted by millnatla
Good grief people they are not that hard to play. I suggest that if you need walkthroughs that bad , that you give up gaming and buy some lego . That might better suit you.:rolleyes:

Way to burst our bubble......

Muad Dib
29th Aug 2003, 04:40
I posted this in another forum to a simialr question:

I used cheats/walkthoughs on my first TR game simply because I was tired of being killed every 10 seconds, on some levels, before I was familar with general game strategy and use of resources (med kits, weapons, etc). Now I like to get through without cheats or walkthoughs simply because it's more challenging.

What I do like to do though is get through a level/stage and then read the walk-through to see what I missed.

It's Ok for people to use cheats/walkthroughs if it makes the game more enjoyable for them. Especially beginners who need to learn what Lara is capable of and how to do it. A friend was watching me play TR4 one day and as I set up for a jump, he said "Can she make that jump? :eek:". I said "It will be close !". Well, Lara did make the jump :)! But he would have never tried it without someone, or a walkthough, saying "Line up on the edge facing the large boulder, etc...". You get the picture.

Remember, it's just a game, a GREAT game, but a game nonetheless.

It's more important for people to have fun playing it the way they enjoy it, than playing it a particular way."

The way I see it, the more people there are that play TR the longer it will be around in it's various evolutions. So play it the way you like to and don't feel guilty about it!

"Psssst, As long as you don't mind the snickering behind your back as you walk past true Raiders."

Just kidding!!! :cool:

thanhkim
29th Aug 2003, 21:20
Originally posted by James Kein
we should start "Walkthroughers Anonymous" LOL Hello my name is Thanhkim and I'm a walkthrough addict I don't play any tr games or other games for that matter unless I can a) cheat in some way via cheating the ps2 or b) walkthroughs there my confession I'm not good at playing tr at all but Lar's is just the best she is so cool. I have tried to play tr using my brain but it let's just say I didn't go very far. hmmm:rolleyes: :D

thanhkim
29th Aug 2003, 21:29
Originally posted by WesternWhiteWolf
You call yourselves walkthrough junkies???? I'm the junkie to end all junkies. I've gone through entire games sentence by sentence! (Poor pitiful me!) I guess it's because I started at a young age....cripes, using walkthroughs is like smoking!!!!:eek:

I don't understand: for me you can still use a walkthrough and have fun. It's like I read ahead a little and you see a scary or a cool part of the game and you say: I can't WAIT until I get there!!! Also, there's still a lot of tough parts because you just don't know what an areas going to be like until you get there, and it might be tough until you get it right.

Anyway, DON'T say that I'm not a true TR fan/expert or whatever just because I use walkthroughs. I'm not a puzzle person, I'm a combat person. It also means that you're making fun of a person who at the age of 9 didn't know any better.

I don't know if I can be helped. I'm like a smoker who has been smoking for like 40+ years. Playing w/o a walkthrough would really piss me off. :eek: Like withdrawal symptoms!!!!!:eek: That's me and I still have fun playing tr while using walkthroughs cause even if it's on paper just the way Lar's handles herself is cool hair swaying in the wind, guns firing, or when she is pushing a button or whatever cool. Go Lar's

thanhkim
29th Aug 2003, 21:37
The issue here I think is for those that can play without walkthroughs great those that can't so what just as long we keep playing tr is the most important thing!!!!!!!!!

So gang to those of us who play with walkthroughs don't feel guilty feel it's like a quest to help Lara that's how I see it as.