PDA

View Full Version : AOD Controls A Joke

Dis-Satisfied
16th Jul 2003, 23:08
:mad:

I have now made several purchases of Tomb Raider games, and i should have known not to buy AOD, the controls were bad enough on the first one. You cant always see where you are going, to many keys at once to make a simple move, and overall it has to be the absolute WORST controls of any game i have ever seen.

The graphics are awesome, but that isnt enough to waste another $50.00 on another Crappy controlled Tomb Raider game.

Cmon Dev's, did you hear that sound "POP" its the dev pulling their heads outta you know where.

Lets have a first person View like almost any other game on the market, and get your controls under CONTROL.

TR-AOD
16th Jul 2003, 23:22
try playing games like solitaire where you only need one button. ffs it anoys me when people say the controls are crap, its a different game, get used to the different controls. i remember playing TR for the very first time and thinking omg "how do i do that" you want me to press " up " " R1 " and triangle then im supossed to leave go and press "down" and "r2"

now if your a ps2 owner you have to wiggle a joystick with your thumb........just get used to it

<:D runs for cover>

salvestrom
16th Jul 2003, 23:40
Im' not surprised someone who doesn't get along withe TR control method really hates AoD controls. lol

But seriously, first person? It wouldn't be a TR at all if it switched to first person...

God, can you imagine how much harder it would be trying to complete a TR in first person.

I noticed they tried to split controls with the mouse and keyboard, but they messed it up good. Instead of putting turning on mouse control it should have been the look control, like it is in all other games with dual mouse/keyboard control.

I'm so used to the dual M/K control though that I had to remap the action, draw, roll and duck keys to the numberpad so I could use the arrow keys with my left hand lol

Manual aiming, a step forward for TR? Especially with the loss of the run around like a loonie, guns blazing approach?

Sal.

PS Sorry you don't think much of the control system. You don't really have trouble using 3 keys at once do you? No offence if you've only got two fingers or something...

felixthamuss
16th Jul 2003, 23:42
Good one TR-AOD, I agree with you 100% controls are just FINE.
:D

NrthnStar5
16th Jul 2003, 23:52
NO, listen people. the controls are bad because they are UNRESPONSIVE, especially in action sequences. you wouldn't believe how many times when i was fighting boaz i would push jump and kurtis wouldn't jump, or he i pushed forward, he would take a few slow steps, then start jogging. The controls are not that hard to get used to, and you get used to the feel of controling lara, but they are UNRESPONSIVE! The other tomb raiders we could run, jump, shoot, flip alot easier, adn it didn't feel like we were barely going. I feel like i have to slam on the keys to get them to go. They need optimized, that's for sure.

Dad
17th Jul 2003, 00:05
Controls were fine it's the hop thats useless if she goes somewhere else. IMO:D

Dazed
17th Jul 2003, 00:07
Originally posted by NrthnStar5
NO, listen people. the controls are bad because they are UNRESPONSIVE, especially in action sequences. you wouldn't believe how many times when i was fighting boaz i would push jump and kurtis wouldn't jump, or he i pushed forward, he would take a few slow steps, then start jogging. The controls are not that hard to get used to, and you get used to the feel of controling lara, but they are UNRESPONSIVE! The other tomb raiders we could run, jump, shoot, flip alot easier, adn it didn't feel like we were barely going. I feel like i have to slam on the keys to get them to go. They need optimized, that's for sure.

idd, the controls arent as they should be.. in all other TR games a punch on a key had an instant reaction.. ffs.. when I first started the game off with Lara.. I mean.. thank god I wasnt on a catwalk with no railings.. otherwise im sure I wouldve fallen of more then 10 times..

and those damned stairs.. Ive been trown backwards more times then I can count :P

JP2Fingers
17th Jul 2003, 00:22
Took me a while to type this... but I kinda like the controls...

:p

owen10
17th Jul 2003, 00:56
I feel that the controls are fine on PS2. They're somewhat sluggish, but situations where you need them to be more responsive rarely arise. Running (jogging) around is made much more pleasant with the analogue stick, such that a change of direction doesn't require a twisting somersault or roll to accomplish. The walk mode is a nice way of integrating the old TRs' more precise and delicate jump system, without impacting on general movement.

The new system is easy enough to use, but ultimately sees Lara handicapped, in the number of actions she can perform.

t0Qt2BsNgl
17th Jul 2003, 01:05
You people must be talking about the PS2 controls. If you're one of the lucky ones, and have played All the Tomb Raider games via PC, the controls stay almost exactly the same as they always have been :)

But hey! If you feel like you want a change, PC allows you to change every key to what you want it to be... granted her movements are slower in some areas, but it does tend to give Lara a much less robotic/inhuman appearance :D

Nybis
17th Jul 2003, 08:12
I never buy a ps2 game that I can get for PC so off course I have the PC version.
I have played alot of games with really wierd controls comared to what I'm used to. But after a while I always get used to them.

But it's alot harder to get used to the fact that the controls are slower than a snail. The responsetime sucks. And absolutley hated the walking tree steps before she start running. That alone get me killed plenty of times.
And I have had big problems with the "hop" move. she keeps turning in the air, missing the platform I was aiming to land on. More than a little annoying. :mad:

And also I would like to have the old targetting system back. This new system doesn't work for me. I got killed by the red ghost alot simply because I kept running into him because of the targetting.
And I want to be able to shoot while jumping. preferably with two guns.

RebeL_fARmeR
17th Jul 2003, 12:18
Aye, the controls in AOD are a joke but I ain't laughing...

as for the original TR controls, excellent! Perfect! Faultless! I love them, so dynamic, so co-ordinated, the other TR games handle like a Nissan Skyline R34, the AOD controls handle like a drag racer on a frozen road in Wales! WAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGHHHHH. :D

as for 1st person Tomb Raiding, I really doubt that would work. It's the main point of judging gaps... but now I think about it... hmm, very interesting, it might work, you know?
Yeeeeeeeeeeessssss

Main problem with 1st person TR is that you can't see Lara! WHAT'S THE POINT???

Riovanes
17th Jul 2003, 12:54
You say, "Let's have a first-person view like most other games on the market!"

I have never heard a statement so plainly ignorant of the facts in terms of market share of first-person games in my life. The only sorts of games that come in first-person views are flight sims and FPS's. Tomb Raider is neither of these - it is an adventure game, and as such, third-person perspective is actually the NORM for the genre it belongs to, as opposed to the exception.

Most other games? Seriously, maybe you should pull your head out of the same place you're accusing the developers of having theirs! Even if you're speaking of the PC environment exclusively, you're still dead wrong. Need a few examples? No problem.

AoD belongs in the adventure class, as I have stated. It could also be construed as an espionage style game. Games in this category that are third person on the PC include, but are not limited to:

-Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell
-Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver (1&2)
-Legacy of Kain: Blood Omen (1&2)
-Max Payne
-Starcraft: Ghost (as yet unreleased)
-Grand Theft Auto (3, and Vice City)

Number of adventure/stealth-class games with first-person as the main view: 1 - possibly, if you count Thief, which was much more an FPS than it was anything else, so it's very questionable.

That's just off the top of my head - and I'm not really a PC gamer to boot. But let's look at some of the console games that fit in the same genre, and are incidentally third person.

-The Legend of Zelda (Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Wind Waker, Four Swords, Link to the Past, Link's Quest, etc...)
-Tenchu (1,2, and Wrath of Heaven)
-Metal Gear (1, 2, MGS, MGS2, and Substance)
-Tomb Raider (All, including AoD)
-Dark Cloud (1&2)
-ODT
-Oddworld: (All, including Abe and Munch)
-Most of the recent Castlevania games.
-GTA (Iterations as PC)
-Azurik
-Legacy of Kain (Iterations as PC)
-Max Payne
-Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell
-Star Fox Adventures

Number of adventure/stealth-class games on consoles in first-person as the main view: 0

...Need I even go on at this point?

It's one thing to be upset at the blatantly unfinished quality of AoD - that I understand completely, because I was frustrated by it too. What is NOT okay is to scream at the developers and call them stupid for following the style of the genre they were developing for - that's like telling a construction foreman that he's a moron for using concrete to pour a sidewalk - it's just not done. So call them out for lack of quality - but not for doing what they were supposed to do in the first place. You can't deal with a third person game? Well guess what? "Most other gamers," on the market can, and DO - either adapt, or stick to your FPS's, alright?

BAH!!!

Dazed
17th Jul 2003, 22:34
Originally posted by Riovanes
You say, "Let's have a first-person view like most other games on the market!"

I have never heard a statement so plainly ignorant of the facts in terms of market share of first-person games in my life. The only sorts of games that come in first-person views are flight sims and FPS's. Tomb Raider is neither of these - it is an adventure game, and as such, third-person perspective is actually the NORM for the genre it belongs to, as opposed to the exception.

BAH!!!

not only that.. if they would make TR a firstperson view game u couldnt see anything.. Lara's b00bs would be in the field of view..

snake
18th Jul 2003, 01:54
The controls of TR 1 to TR 5 where ok. The difficulty was only in the beggining of TR1. When we learnt them, we played and enjoyed all the other tomb raiders. In AOD things are not so good with the controls. They changed almost all the buttons to make them worse and unsteady. I dont know why they did that. They could keep the old ones and add the new movements( kick and stealth). I m already tired of all these AOD mistakes and dissapointment. Buying TR for PC is a good idea. The controls wouldnt be that bad.
Lara in first person view is not a good idea. You wouldnt be able to see her... you know.
AND A FINAL ADVISE TO EVERYONE INCLUDING ME: NEVER AGAIN WAIT A SEQUEL WITH PLEASURE. BE CAUTIOUS, VERY CAUTIOUS!!

Mr.Deflok
18th Jul 2003, 09:37
All I want to know is why they got rid of the free-look option? I mean come on, who doesn't use free-look in a 3rd person game, honestly...

Stormgard
18th Jul 2003, 11:43
They didn't get rid of free look. Try holding the sprint button with you're not moving.

numb
18th Jul 2003, 12:12
NO, listen people. the controls are bad because they are UNRESPONSIVE,...

i agree (quite a bit of walking forward & over the edge because the 'jump' button didn't register?)...

but nothing sinks the new controls more than that they're coupled with a camera that no longer defaults to following lara - play an older game & you'll see the incredible difference it makes...