PDA

View Full Version : What's good in AOD? (multiple)



sspears
15th Jul 2003, 18:47
Ok, not to cross swords with anyone but I want to have a poll on what people like about the game. :D

Choose as many options as you want to cast a vote for and select vote. If there's one you don't like, then leave that one blank. :cool:

Nobody
15th Jul 2003, 19:20
I have a sense of dejavu.....:p
look like my own poll that i made, but a little bit fixed up...:mad:
anyway ur welcome to use it with diffrent choices...:D

sspears
15th Jul 2003, 19:32
Thanks! I thought it would make for a good comparison and contrast. I changed a couple of the categories but overall it should look inverse to yours. We'll see.
:D

Nobody
15th Jul 2003, 20:07
no problem with me, except they are the same choices:mad:

PLZ REMOVE THIS POLL...

owen10
15th Jul 2003, 23:52
Gameplay is too all encompassing, so I left that. Level design is often too linear and confined and the puzzles weren't frequent enough, and often too obvious. The rest I ticked. :)

sspears
16th Jul 2003, 00:09
Originally posted by Nobody
no problem with me, except they are the same choices:mad:

PLZ REMOVE THIS POLL...

I guess you miss the point. This poll does have the same choices but you are choosing what parts are good instead of bad. It's the same but opposite. :D

Elvin Presler
16th Jul 2003, 01:32
You forgot one, so I just added it and X'ed the box here:

What's good in AOD? (multiple)

. Story
. Game Play
. Graphics
. Sound
. Music
. Level Design
. Animations
. Controls
. Puzzles
x Nothing

Mgardiner
16th Jul 2003, 02:08
Anyone getting sick of Elvin Presler? His whole TR:AOD bashing is getting old...

jso2897
16th Jul 2003, 02:24
Naw. Let him be. He's good for a chuckle.

sspears
16th Jul 2003, 03:36
You know, at first, stuff like that bothered me. Then I realized that, possibly, posters like him might actually increase the quality of the next installment. I am enjoying AOD but it did fail to live up to expectations. I wouldn't go to some of the extremes I've seen stated here. But I'll concede that it should have been better and the follow up must be better. So, yeah, leave him be. :D

t0Qt2BsNgl
16th Jul 2003, 07:31
AND KURTIS!!!

Sorry.. Gotta love his secksiness ;) :cool: :D

GoranAgar
16th Jul 2003, 09:26
Originally posted by Mgardiner
Anyone getting sick of Elvin Presler? His whole TR:AOD bashing is getting old...
As a moderator I couldn't say things like that.

tomb_raiding
16th Jul 2003, 09:43
I think Elvin shoul cool down a little and forget about AOD if hats it tooo much :)

Nobody
16th Jul 2003, 10:04
I made the same poll <whats....good?> but deleted it... coz the opposite of mine is urs...
What the heck sspears....
:DYOU ARE WELCOME:D

CatSuit&Ponytail
16th Jul 2003, 11:51
Originally posted by sspears
You know, at first, stuff like that bothered me. Then I realized that, possibly, posters like him might actually increase the quality of the next installment. I am enjoying AOD but it did fail to live up to expectations. I wouldn't go to some of the extremes I've seen stated here. But I'll concede that it should have been better and the follow up must be better. So, yeah, leave him be. :D

OR the game developers might say to themselves, "What's the point in making another Tomb Raider game? Everyone hates it now, and so do we because no one appreciated the work we slaved over for that Angel Of Darkness game! Let them rot before they see Lara Croft again." .......just a thought. :rolleyes:


In simpler terms: You catch more bees with honey!!!

susan
16th Jul 2003, 12:27
Originally posted by CatSuit&Ponytail
OR the game developers might say to themselves, "What's the point in making another Tomb Raider game? Everyone hates it now, and so do we because no one appreciated the work we slaved over for that Angel Of Darkness game! Let them rot before they see Lara Croft again." .......just a thought. :rolleyes:


In simpler terms: You catch more bees with honey!!!

C'mon there's no way they'll let this little money maker go until they've wrung out every penny. They are a public limited company and even if the games designers get a bit petulant about no-one appreciating their work, the work will still go on.

What Core and Eidos are getting from this site (which presumably is one of the reasons they have it) is FREE MARKET/CUSTOMER RESEARCH. Having worked in that area myself I know how INVALUABLE it is when people say what they think and don't try to butter up the product maker with nice "constructive" criticism.

Some people do do that in customer focus groups (normally because they want to be liked or not to offend)....when they do they can totally mess up a lot of R&D work. A product goes to the market that LOTS of people DON'T LIKE....hmmmm, that's food for thought....

:)

CatSuit&Ponytail
16th Jul 2003, 12:39
You are probably right Susan. All these focus groups and market research thingies are not my field of expertise. I know as a creator of something beautiful that if the bile I have seen on these forums were directed at my work, I'd let people die of thirst before quenching it with the sweat of my brow again.


Not a commercial artist, never could be such. I am my work where art is concerned.

susan
16th Jul 2003, 13:07
Originally posted by CatSuit&Ponytail
You are probably right Susan. All these focus groups and market research thingies are not my field of expertise. I know as a creator of something beautiful that if the bile I have seen on these forums were directed at my work, I'd let people die of thirst before quenching it with the sweat of my brow again.


Not a commercial artist, never could be such. I am my work where art is concerned.

I see your point. :(

Business just isn't a nice place and I feel for those people who've sweated on this game too. I feel disappointed about the game myself but I also know NOBODY set out to make a TR less than brilliant...

I want to show respect for their amazing work (it is amazing and beautiful despite the criticisms...we've been very spoilt in the past), but at the same time I also want them to have some real feedback....for TR7 !!!:D

Elvin Presler
16th Jul 2003, 16:43
Originally posted by CatSuit&Ponytail
I know as a creator of something beautiful that if the bile I have seen on these forums were directed at my work, I'd let people die of thirst before quenching it with the sweat of my brow again.

They get what they deserve. Release and sell an unfinished game, and you'll have angry customers. Make a good one like TR 1 - 4 and you'll have happy ones, like I was until now.

AOD is an unfinished beta version. That is not even debatable. It's not my opinion, it's an obvious fact. Anyone that says it is a complete and acceptably polished game is just ignorant and/or blind.

owen10
16th Jul 2003, 16:46
Originally posted by Elvin Presler
They get what they deserve. Release and sell an unfinished game, and you'll have angry customers. Make a good one like TR 1 - 4 and you'll have happy ones, like I was until now.

AOD is an unfinished beta version. That is not even debatable. Anyone that says it is a complete and acceptably polished game is just ignorant and/or blind.
The question is, who is responsible? Core or Eidos? From what I've heard, I'd say Eidos.

Toby Gard left Core because he didn't like the way external pressures dictated his work. His game, Galleon will be released when it's finished. Core didn't have this luxury with Eidos.

Elvin Presler
16th Jul 2003, 20:06
I wouldn't know about who to blame, but I'd have to call it on Core mostly. They must have contracted to produce in "X" amount of time. That time got extended nearly a year and still they failed miserably to produce.

I mean if you have a deadline, you have to work within that time frame. I don't know what Core's idea of a good time frame would have been, but the game was so long in development as it was that even the unfinished beta they pieced together looks like a 2 or 3 year old game for the most part with 2 or 3 newer effects slapped on top of it at the last minute.

Any longer and it would have been silly looking sitting next to the other vastly superior new games. It already is if you want to get technical. The ONLY thing that makes it ANY good at all is that it is a Tomb Raider game. If the exact same game was released with say, just Kurtis and no Lara....oh man would it have bombed and been laughed off the store shelves in a day! The same people saying how they liked it would be bashing it to a pulp.
:rolleyes: Yep. They would.

Tomb Raider Fan
16th Jul 2003, 20:19
Originally posted by Nobody
I have a sense of dejavu.....:p
look like my own poll that i made, but a little bit fixed up...:mad:
anyway ur welcome to use it with diffrent choices...:D

That is Dejavu mate......:rolleyes:

I gotta go with Story, Graphics and Level Design......Think there all great!

BkBaby999
17th Jul 2003, 01:06
First off, I don't like bees.
Second, if you can't take criticism then you probably shouldn't have a job, especially in creating or serving the public. Because every job I've ever had from lowly sales person to top boss....somebody will be unhappy and have something to say. And if you can't explain yourself or try to do better, then expect to lose customers......I know a girl who will drive 5 miles out her way because the Dunkin Donuts up the block makes terrible coffee. So I may appreciate the hard work, but if you have nothing to show for it then don't expect salutations. At the end of it all they are making a game and it's not that deep and thank god they are not in the business of saving lives or something because if they were doctors we'd all be mostly crippled, blind, deaf and dumb. But how did you feel when you heard that girl got the wrong blood type when she got a heart transplant? So do I ever feel bad to tell people to stay sharp and try to do the best job possible...heck no! That's what all of us should be doing....I don't care if you make Big Macs for a living, you should strive to make each and every one the tastiest Big Mac ever and if you forget the special sauce....I'm gonna say.....yo, where's the sauce?:D (where's the beef??)
Third, although I may not agree with Elvin that nothing was good about the game, for instance I choose the music, but he's right, nothing should have been an option just like the other poll-what's bad about AOD! He's entitled to his opinion about the game just like everyone else!

Are you men or mice at Eidos/Core, they can take my $50 no problems so they can take a licking....step up to the plate and try to hit a home run next time or don't be mad when you get booed for striking out!

GoranAgar
17th Jul 2003, 12:29
You want nothing? You got it.

:p