PDA

View Full Version : Were'nt the movie graphics better in TR4 than AOD?

Moogos
15th Jul 2003, 18:30
Well thats it really.

Seth
15th Jul 2003, 18:34
No, they were just compressed differently.

As well, they were rendered in a widescreen format, and then streched to fit a fullscreen monitor.

That being said, they're actually better, since this time around, thye used Maya, which has a more powerful renderer than 3DS Max.

moe888uk
15th Jul 2003, 18:47
In tr4, the ingame graphics were much poorer compared to the FMVs, so the FMVs looked great. With AOD, the game itself feels like an FMV(maybe an exaggeration), so the FMVs dont feel that spectacular. Answer to your question, no.

Moogos
15th Jul 2003, 18:50
MOVIE graphics people!!!

the start movie etc. not the cut scenes, not the gameplay graphics!

LCTR
15th Jul 2003, 20:43
Thats what FMV's Are! FULL MOTION VIDEO. The start movie is an FMV.

Omega_Weapon
15th Jul 2003, 20:46
No they're different. FMV's are different from cut scenes because cut scenes are made to the same level as the in-game graphics, while FMV's are not made in game time, and are often enough made by completely different computers too. There is a noticable difference. In AOD, it's not much, but you can still tell the difference.

Nybis
15th Jul 2003, 22:36
The FMV's in TR4 looked alot better than the ones in AOD. I found it almost difficult to see what was going on some times.
The FMV's in tr4 was very detailed. In AOD they're not.

tomb_raiding
15th Jul 2003, 22:54
I agree the FMVs were poor, exept the Last one :)

owen10
15th Jul 2003, 23:16
If you watch them now, they're not too great. Compression is oddly better, but that's all. When Jean-Yves bends while talking to Lara, his stomach sort of glitches oddly. The content is more interesting, but the technology used in rendering the sequences is probably better in AoD.

tomb_raiding
15th Jul 2003, 23:37
I wish they used DivX, like in WarCraft III, that was DVD quality :(

owen10
16th Jul 2003, 00:16
Originally posted by tomb_raiding
I wish they used DivX, like in WarCraft III, that was DVD quality :(
Agreed. :(

Lr&Kt
16th Jul 2003, 04:46
Okay... the models used in the fmv´s for TR4 were different from the game models, in aod the fmv´s and game models are the same... so yes the graphics are better:rolleyes:

ZXcorr
16th Jul 2003, 11:01
Originally posted by Nybis
The FMV's in TR4 looked alot better than the ones in AOD. I found it almost difficult to see what was going on some times.
The FMV's in tr4 was very detailed. In AOD they're not.

Exactly.

D3v1L80Y
16th Jul 2003, 15:27
In fact, the movies in every game before AOD were better. AOD simply used the same graphics from the in game play for the movies. Sure the in game model has improved imensely since the previous games, but it still is not the same as the movies from the older installments.

And yes, cut-scene and movies are two different things.

BlueSkiesXXV
16th Jul 2003, 17:03
The FMV's looked very washed out.
We are talking about the quality of the images arn't we, and not the content?

Looks like they used a nasty compressor, that's all.

Raven
16th Jul 2003, 19:13
I was just reminiscing about The Last Revelation the other day....and one of the things that particularly sticks in my mind about it is the incredible quality of the FMVs. Especially that one where Lara drives her jeep off the bank and onto the ferry. The detail was amazing anyone else notice the fingerprint on the bad guy's weapon scope?
I don't think the FMV's in AoD are as impressive.

SnAcKeR
16th Jul 2003, 19:21
the FMV's are not as good quality in AOD as in TR4 - PERIOD.

mikeR
16th Jul 2003, 19:48
Guys, it doesn't matter which program they were rendered in, its the compression they use which makes the difference.
Maya's renderer is not condsidered to be that good anyway.

In production a lot of Maya uders use 3rd party renderers like Pixar renderman( of toy story fame)

It seems they have 'compressed' the movies more or they are 'smaller' in size in AOD to make them run faster or save on disk space, hence the 'banding' of colours and generally low quality look

A cut sequence is made using the actual game engine/editor.

The FMV stuff is generally higher poly and is made and rendered in a 3d program like 3dsmax or maya.

If I am not mistaken the FMV used to be 'field rendered' to make it look better
:cool:

Tomb Raider Fan
16th Jul 2003, 20:02
Yeah prob the TR4 graphics were better! But does it depend on what system you play it on? Like the P.C or the PS2, Iam not an expert on all the graphic areas but which has the better quality? I think the AOD PS2 movie clips are much better quality than the TRC movie clips...They wern't that good..:rolleyes: