PDA

View Full Version : Vehicles in Tomb Raider Series? and is TR series playable on Win XP?

jumper5836
15th Jul 2003, 17:06
I have a few questions I hope someone can help me with.
I would like to know what vehicles are in each game.
I am only intested in the PC games. Never had any use for a console.

I'd like to know what games in the series play on Windows XP.

Also is TR-3 : Adventures of Lara Croft and TR-3: The Lost Artifact
The same game? or are they completely different games?

Here is what I got so far. Correct it if I am wrong. Thanks

Tomb Raider
No Vehicles
Compatable on Win XP? Yes see How To Install And Run Tomb Raider 1 On Windows 2000/XP (http://members.cox.net/antisnipe02/tr1howto.html)
Patches?

Tomb Raider II: Starring Lara Croft with Golden Mask expansion
Kayak
Snow Mobile
Compatable on Win XP? Yes same as TR-1?
Patches?

Tomb Raider III: Adventures of Lara Croft
Kayak
Mine Cart
Quad Bike
Underwater Propulsion Unit
Compatable on Win XP? Yes
Patches? YES tr2.exe

Tomb Raider III: The Lost Artifact
Kayak
Quad Bike
Underwater Propulsion Unit
Patches?

Tomb Raider IV: The Last Revelation
Kayak
Motor Bike
Jeep
Patches? YES tombtlrpatch.exe

Tomb Raider V: Chronicles
No Vehicles
Patches?

Tomb Raider VI: Angel of Darkness
No Vehicles
Patches? YES TRAOD_PC_PATCH_V42.exe

Mangar The Dark
15th Jul 2003, 17:36
A few things--

Tomb Raider 2 is NOT the Golden Mask.
"The Golden Mask" is an expansion to TR2 (also known as TR2 Gold.) The actual subtitle to TR2 was "Starring Lara Croft" (yes, it's one of the worst titles of all times.)

"The Lost Artifact" can be thought of as TR3 Gold, since it's an extra set of levels using the TR3 engine. But, it was never marketing as TR3 Gold. TR3 was called "The Adventures of Lara Croft" (another bad title... jeez.) It was an enormous game. "The Lost Artifact" contained five additional levels that were similar to those found in TR3, but different.

I haven't tried all of the early games on XP, but here's what I know for sure--

TR1 will work, but not perfectly (at least not for me.) However, you can download a program called VDSM (available from several sites, including tombraiderchronicles.com), and it will fix some of the sound problems you would otherwise encounter. Other than those sound problems, the game works pretty well. I can't get 3D accelerator support, so it looks very blocky, but there is a program called Glidos that supposedly corrects this.

TR2: I haven't tried this one yet, though I hear it will be a similar situation as with TR1

TR3: Haven't tried it either, but "Lost Artifact" works with no trouble at all on XP, so I presume TR3 will also work (they use the same engine really, just different levels.)

TR4: Works fine for me. Can't remember if I installed a patch or not.

TR5: Works, but I can't view FMV sequences. In fact, if I don't disable them from the set-up menu, I can't load the game at all. There may be a patch for this, but I haven't looked into it.

jumper5836
15th Jul 2003, 17:59
So you are saying that they are the same game except they have additional levels and

TR-2: Golden Mask has replaced TR-2: Starring Lara Croft

and

TR-3: Lost Artifact has replaced TR-3: The Adventures of Lara Croft

I don't want to go out and buy each one if they are the same game with one having more levels then the original.

Mangar The Dark
15th Jul 2003, 19:04
Originally posted by jumper5836
So you are saying that they are the same game except they have additional levels and

TR-2: Golden Mask has replaced TR-2: Starring Lara Croft

and

TR-3: Lost Artifact has replaced TR-3: The Adventures of Lara Croft

I don't want to go out and buy each one if they are the same game with one having more levels then the original.

Neither title replaced the other one.

"The Lost Artifact" does not contain any levels found in TR3 (except for the training mansion.) It's a stand-alone game containing 5 all-new levels (and they're quite huge.) But it uses the TR3 engine, so don't expect it to look like Last Revelation. You can still buy "Tomb Raider 3: The Adventures of Lara Croft," so "The Lost Artifact" did not replace it.

The Golden Mask was a series of about four additional levels made for TR2. As far as I know, it only comes bundled with TR2, so if you want them, you have to buy TR2 again, making sure that the box indicates that the Golden Mask levels are included. You can also download a couple of the levels from various TR sites for free (sorry, the exact site names escape me at the moment, but try a google search and you should find them. I think Stella's Tomb Raider site has them.)

These days, if you find TR2 in a store, odds are it will come bundled with "The Golden Mask." But "Golden Mask" didn't really replace TR2. In other words, you're still getting "TR2: Starring Lara Croft," but you're also getting "The Golden Mask" levels.