PDA

View Full Version : OT: Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

Bat-mite
15th Jul 2003, 17:04
Hi, all. I just wanted to pass on my recommendation for visiting the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Museum in Cleveland, OH, USA. It is amazing. You can tour it in a day, but they keep changing exhibit items, so you can go again later and see different stuff.

My wife and I went this past weekend.

I saw John Lennon's original handwritten lyrics to "In My Life," Ringo's actual Sgt. Pepper uniform that he wore on the album cover, Pete Townshend's legendary #5 Gibson Les Paul, Madonna's "Virgin" bulleted bustiere ;), David Bowie's "Ashes to Ashes" jumpsuit, and a million other cool items. Plus there are films, videos, jukeboxes, etc.

A very cool thing is to see the handwritten lyrics with lines crossed out and replaced. Gives you some insight into the writer's thought processes. For instance, in "In My Life," Lennon had written,

There are places I remember
In my life, though some have changed.
Some for better...some forever.
Some are gone and some remain.

He crossed out the third line and replaced it with the more characteristically negative line "Some forever, not for better." Pretty cool.

BrokenArts
16th Jul 2003, 13:58
Everything is usually fluff in the entertainment world, as it should be anyway. But, it's great to hear about the personal side of their creations. Especially John Lennon's hand written notes. Doubt I'll ever get up there, if I do, I will go. :)

howie
17th Jul 2003, 04:29
For sure, there is lots of history in Cleveland's rock of fame time capsule. It is an interesting place to visit. I've been there once and was surprised to know how close rock-&-roll is to jazz.

Yandros
18th Jul 2003, 17:37
That's because they're both derivatives of blues. :cool: