PDA

View Full Version : Great wall of china or local French Cafe?

*jimbo*
15th Jul 2003, 10:50
Well its a hard choice. Haha Laras been to india, egypt atlantis at the bottom of the ocean etc.. so many wondeful places. Countries and continents most of us can only dream of going to. Now the local french cafe, the garage, the pawn shop. Granted theres a few tombs but if it wansnt for the fact that its lara I wouldnt have bothered.

What the hell happened to the creative department at core. Theyve been replaced by idiots. All the polls and people thats say the game is good. Try and forget the graphical improvments its a pretty game without the bugs but by far the wost tomb raider ever. I would have sooner they re made the TR1,2,3,4, maybe 5 again. The only thing good about AOD is it looks nicer has good music, um um and the dvd case looks good. help me out somebody.:(

ShyLad
15th Jul 2003, 12:05
I agree, Tomb Raiding my arse!!!

Paris and Prague is that it!!!

Marijn
15th Jul 2003, 12:22
Well, wasn't it the original plan all along to having to get Lara 'back into tombraiding again'? If I recall it right, I already read about this storyplan for over a year ago. After her tragic accident in Egypt, Lara was supposed to be out of the 'exploring' for quite a while and, on top of that, got this bad reputation over her that she needed to get rid of. What they did in this game was just sticking to that original plan! You could have known it all along.
And besides, Catsuit&Ponytail already made a very good statement before: Would you like to start exploring ancient tombs fulltime again right after you've been in a serious accident in Egypt, being left for dead and burried deep underneath an ancient pyramid? I think that they have let some fresh breeze of air go through the storyline and have, very originally, designed her 'comeback' on PS2, quite literally! Also, I'm sure that in the following games she'll be a lot more into exploring tombs again. We'll just wait and see. In the meantime just enjoy the current game please! The graphics are great, the levels are cool and the plot certainly has some surprises in it! If you don't like any aspect of this game, well, maybe you should move along then after all and forget about the whole new TR games. I know that I've been a fan ever since the first game got released back in 1996 and I still love the whole series to pieces! :):cool:

Marijn
15th Jul 2003, 12:24
Originally posted by ddd
I agree, Tomb Raiding my arse!!!

Paris and Prague is that it!!!

And I love your reply btw. You make a real good statement there, defending your case very well and with wise consideration---also showing great sympathy and respect to people who have actually put quite some effort in creating this game. :rolleyes:

ShyLad
15th Jul 2003, 12:46
Originally posted by Marijn
And I love your reply btw. You make a real good statement there, defending your case very well and with wise consideration---also showing great sympathy and respect to people who have actually put quite some effort in creating this game. :rolleyes:

I love the Tomb Raider Series too, I've owned/completed all previous versions except completing Chronicles on the PSone. The control system isn't ideal as I preferred using the D-Pad even when they introduced Analog control during the PSone Series. Otherwise the game is the dog's bollocks.

I'm an addict so much so I'm currently borrowing my friend's PS2 so I can play it. I bought the game even though it isn't my PS2. I used to take the day off work when each version was released so I could play it all weekend!

It doesn't bother me there's just Paris or Prague. I agree regards to the story. Maybe they should change the title of the Series to reflect what Lara is doing. i.e., Adventures of...

Marijn
15th Jul 2003, 12:51
Right. Now you've, at least, made a to-the-point and clear case! Thanks for sharing your view and opinion. :)

susan
15th Jul 2003, 13:13
I don't mind if she's in literal "tombs" or not. Paris and Prague is fine as long as they can keep the feeling of exploration that I love. I liked the London levels on TR3 but this game is nothing like that.

The exploration quotient has dropped to almost zero. Yeah, the scenery looks nice, but if you stop looking at it you soon realise all you're doing is moving from one small "room/environment" to another. You couldn't get lost if you tried. The exception being the Paris Ghetto - but only because the game reloaded every 2 steps and so it was hard to keep a picture in your mind where everything was. (Especially when the dodgy controls made Lara turn back and trigger another reload by mistake. :rolleyes: ).

When I played this game I never felt I was in Paris/Prague/Bio-Dome, whatever, but when I played the other TR's I kinda felt like I was there somehow, if that makes sense. For example, in TR1 when I first entered St. Francis's Folly - woah! I actually experienced vertigo.

*sigh*

This is why I'm disappointed with AoD. As games go - it's OK. As TR games go - it's not up to scratch.

moe888uk
15th Jul 2003, 13:25
"(Especially when the dodgy controls made Lara turn back and trigger another reload by mistake. ). "

Dont wana annoy you, but if you try to go forward, she goes forward. Such errors are usually user errors.

susan
15th Jul 2003, 13:38
Originally posted by moe888uk
"(Especially when the dodgy controls made Lara turn back and trigger another reload by mistake. ). "

Dont wana annoy you, but if you try to go forward, she goes forward. Such errors are usually user errors.

Don't worry I'm not annoyed ;) But I think I have a different definition of "user error". Trust me, you had to be there....:D

TR-AOD: I deliberately didn't look at the maps around the place to try to keep a feeling of exploration. Similarly I didn't read the notebook entries until quite far into the game. By then I knew there was no suspense (for me) that the notebook help bits could ruin. :)

owen10
15th Jul 2003, 14:00
Regarding the initial post, Chronicles remains the worst Tomb Raider, in my opinion. It made similar geographical choices as this game, but the execution and environments weren't as interesting.

salvestrom
15th Jul 2003, 20:17
Going back to something Marjin said, about storyline. Another post on this forum mentioned the likely hood that AoD is just the beginning levels of what was intended to be a larger game - moving on to Turkey and the last Nephilim stronghold. I think it was in an interview that the person being interviewed stated the content was so big they realised they could make two games out of it.

Well, I'd like the longer game please :)

Seems to me what we got was Half-life's Blue Shift mini game, compared to the full Half-Life.

The game should have been put out at a lower cost than it was, but it's too late for that.

What do you all think of, say, getting AoD, bug free/outstanding problems resolved, as a free bonus CD in the next game? Or even that the next game has the full story including Paris and Prague. Sort of get Winston to sweep this one under the carpet maybe :)

As an aside, how will we start the next game? With Kurtis's disc weapon, I expect, but what about the two nice machine guns I "ended" the game with? And the respirator and aqua-lung and a few nice goodies I didn't get to sell cause Eckhart killed the pawnbroker?

Sal.

Grave_Robber
15th Jul 2003, 21:33
I thought it was all set out pretty good but abit short, tomb of ancients was set out great. but vault of trophies was far too short.

*possible spoilers onwards*

Take paris, at first it was basicly find out what the hell ur doin, then ur getting equipment from some one finding out more about the story as ur doing so. U then make ur way to the tomb and enter it, i thought the dig was great, working out all the stuff to open the entrance. Ur in do what ur gotta do and leave with the painting.

Then u wanner go and find out about the other painting and find out where they are through the engravings finding out that the baddies are off to prague although i got rid of the cleaner from the apartment and started too look for these 4 engravings that i was ment to be looking for, got info about story. i spent ages trying to find some secret room werner probably had that stored em. Got bored, took out the cleaner, map over. no engravings ???
instead 5 of these shards apeared.

does any one know what the hell is going on at this bit. in cutscence and stuff u go on about u got the 4 engravings, errr no and there are only 3 shards and ur ment to only have 1.

well anyway there is prague, u find out where the tomb is there then u go off to find it, u get to the entrance not as good as ancient tomb one but looked nice. tomb its self was crap, few jumps and ur were at the last room, i cant help but feel it was rushed this one, it had a nice entrance the last room was nice but the bit in the middle was terrible where was the room like the hall of seasons for this one.

Anyway, i think the outside bits are nice, finding out about the stuff ur up too and where ur tombs are u gotta raid. as long as the tomb is worth it. I think its better than just starting in the tomb, its nice to play the part of cracking the code to opening it and if done right, finding and getting to the entrance.

The story could continue, like at the end u stick the thingy in the sleepers leg but there were no indercations it died, well it was the only time it was active really.. lara ran off before we seen anything.

Lone Raider
16th Jul 2003, 01:27
Regarding the initial post, Chronicles remains the worst Tomb Raider, in my opinion. It made similar geographical choices as this game, but the execution and environments weren't as interesting.

Seems to me there are two basic differences here, the tombraiding, and Lara croft´s adventures.
As much as I love tombraiding (I remember writing an email to Eidos when I first heard about plans for TR6, saying, no way guys, I´m going to quit if you change Lara like that, I´ll never play again:D d´oh cause i do because i am hooked), I very much enjoyed the submarine story, cause it´s fast-paced action all the way. You can play it like a real film, and I did, with my kids and their friends watching, they loved it.
Think about it. If you were working on the Core team and you haven´t done anything but build tombs surely you´ll get bored with it some time. Why not explore new horizons? I don´t mind that at all.Now.
As far as I´m concerned, I´d even play "Lara, the Space-Hog" :D

*jimbo*
16th Jul 2003, 19:02
Seeing as I started this thread off Id like to thank you all for your varied opinions. I myself am as bigger fan as any of you, I’ve played them all and made levels and basically loved every single one of them. I can’t love this game. I want to because its tomb raider but I cant because of what’s wrong.

Lets go to the beginning, November 2002 we were all waiting maybe Christmas maybe Easter they finally announce a firm date and still manage to delay it for two weeks. July 2003. Thank god. Now the plot as mentioned previously in the forums “what happened after Egypt.” I thought that was a huge cliff-hanger we didn’t know whether she would come back or was dead. However an Egyptian pyramid collapsed on me last week and I’m fine. Art obsura paintings an interesting perspective but I don’t want to read a note book and go find pictures I want a dagger a scion even four bits of meteorite are more exciting.

Now quickly combat and overall movement are crap. Dual pistols ??? its like taking Indy’s whip away. Bugs glitches crashes and a few. Or maybe the whole game is a mystical colourful adventure with doors changing colours and peoples heads with holes in them??

I played the game for an hour a day as not to finish it to quickly. Loading in Paris and other places because you’ve moved two meters was a joke. I’m rambling now, I’m going to stop.

The comments about the design time. Well we’ve contributed them a vast some of money and they’ve made a reasonable game 4/10. The people who make GTA vice city, half-life, the old tomb raiders, Doom etc… I take my hat off to them I have more pity for the people who have just come into the tomb raider experience for the first time. If you have go and buy one of the earlier ones because you will see what tomb raider is about. Thanks all..

D3v1L80Y
16th Jul 2003, 19:17
Well IMO, calling TR 2,3 or 5 a 'Tomb Raider' game is a bit of a misnomer. The first game took place in a tomb or tomb-like (Natla's Mines) environment for virtually the entire game. TR4, or Last Revelation again was primarily tomb or tomb-related as it took place in Egypt. TR2 starts fine at the Great Wall, another ancient location, but you lose the whole tomb concept when you get to Venice. TR3 is the same as you start in India, raiding temples and the sort, but the whole Area 51 and London levels again lose the concept. And TR5 or Chronicles....well do I really have to talk about that one?

AOD follows the path of those three games in the fact that while there is at least one level worthy of being called a 'tomb', the rest of the game takes place in an urban environment.

It is my opinion that if you are going to call the game 'Tomb Raider', then it should at least primarily take place doing just that, raiding tombs.

Grave_Robber
16th Jul 2003, 21:02
well there were sort of actualy 2 tombs in AOD, there is the Tomb of the Ancients and the vault of trophies just the vault of trophies didnt have a hall of seasons type room.

like i was trying to put in my last post on this thread, i think its great all the playing the part of getting the info and getting into the tomb. well alot better than just apearing in it like the first TR. Only really works if the tomb is good and the setting.

tomb_raiding
16th Jul 2003, 22:47
Tombs will be back in TR7 I'm ReALLY REALLY SURE :) :cool: