PDA

View Full Version : I love it i hate it i love it i hate it i love it i hate it

TR-AOD
14th Jul 2003, 23:53
ok i've just reached the strahov fortress level and i still cant make my mind up as to wether or not i like the game. (i have tried not to give too much away about the game, but may contain spoilers)

like many people i had waited for years for the arrival of the next gen Lara, pre ordering the game it arrived 2 days before its uk public release. i put the game straight into my pc not expecting to view the outside world for a couple of weeks until i had completed the game.

my initial thoughts were cool, a curvy smooth new lara, new out fit new scenery, a new control system(i know a lot of ppl dont like) which i took an instant liking to and i thought "right lets go adventuring"

then the bugs started to apear, walking thru walls to pick up items well out of view, behind buildings etc. the drainpipe arms and legs and i thought wtf is this. the game also promised a new skills building lara, whereby after aquiring new skills you could go back to previousley unexplored areas, exploration was supposed to be rewarded with power ups getting you access to areas otherwise unavailable. so far this translates to you cannot get further into the level with out kicking the correct door or finding the right block to move a little dissapointing to say the least.

after the first couple of levels i began to wonder where the puzzles were, the first real puzzle with any difficulty (imo) was at the dig site trying to find the remaining 2 symbols. and addmitedly i personlally needed reminding to look in the note book. ah-ha i thought a nice touch. since then tho the notebook has just been a mish mash of usless notes that seem to apear in any order in the book so that when the note book icon apears you have to flick thru the entire book to find the new entry to find another apparently pointless memo.

then we come to the hall of season at last a real TR level, with its sub level quests, which personaly i didnt find too hard but i thought yay things are picking up. even after turning all the valves for the furnace tho, getting out of the room wasnt as tricky as first apeared, what started as a decent level ened quite poorly.
then you come to the red ghost which yeah took me a few attempts to collect the painting but not exactly a puzzle, just some tricky timing required.

the next few levels i breezed thru, no challenge at all, armed gaurds in the louvre wtf did they train? TA rejects i wonder a shot or two with the stun gun an they didnt even fire a shot. oh well onto von croys apartment.......
hmmm not too tricky here either shoot the bloke a couple of tmes, crawl under a trip wire, jump a trip wire, shoot the bloke some more, i bet there's another bloke hiding down them stairs...oh no its the next level

ahhh the monstrum crime scene, surley a puzzle or 2 to solve here......er nope the trickiest puzzle is getting the code for the hidden hidey hole, oh no hang on whats on this piece of paper hiding :rolleyes: on the floor right in front of the keypad oh look its the code. for christs sake couldnt they have made more of a puzzle of this, like hiding it in a book on the book case (e.g. a book under "o" as in obscura or "n" for nephilym" or something like) anything to get us to use our brains. moving on ,right we have the painting how do we get out? hmmm find a body in the cupboard an lara says "hmmm wonder if there is a key to get out of here" now where could he have hidden it ??? oh hang on a second whats that near my foot.pffft.

all in all so far i am very dissapointed in the difficulty level of this game, ok i understand younger people are going to be playing this too but personally i feel it would have made a better game if the puzzles were a little more challenging and the notebook was used to provide hints on the puzzles. i love the TR games and have played all of them, but AOD i just dont think it holds its head up to be counted asside from the odd level. other TR games i have onnly turned off when sleep or work beckoned, much to the annoyance of my wife, but this game i play it as and when it just isnt crying out and dragging me back to my computer

i think so far in the game i have used 3 medi packs (60%) two from falling from a mistimed/placed jump and another when fighting the cleaner. the sprinting, never had a use for it yet but i did notice that running about in the snow(monstrum crime scene) she can run around for hours without ever tireing.. adds to the realism i suppose :rolleyes:

a little long winded i know but some things i needed to get off my chest

owen10
15th Jul 2003, 12:15
I agree with everything you say and most of your points are the reasons why I can't wholeheartedly recommend the game beneath the bugs.

susan
15th Jul 2003, 13:32
Originally posted by TR-AOD
after the first couple of levels i began to wonder where the puzzles were...
Exactly.

ahhh the monstrum crime scene, surley a puzzle or 2 to solve here......er nope the trickiest puzzle is getting the code for the hidden hidey hole, oh no hang on whats on this piece of paper hiding :rolleyes: on the floor right in front of the keypad oh look its the code. for christs sake couldnt they have made more of a puzzle of this, like hiding it in a book on the book case (e.g. a book under "o" as in obscura or "n" for nephilym" or something like) anything to get us to use our brains. moving on ,right we have the painting how do we get out? hmmm find a body in the cupboard an lara says "hmmm wonder if there is a key to get out of here" now where could he have hidden it ??? oh hang on a second whats that near my foot.pffft.

Exactly...again. (And, LMAO :D )

*Deep sigh*

Sukerkin
15th Jul 2003, 19:26
I have to agree wholeheartedly with your thoughts above.

The only 'puzzle' which gave me trouble was the one in the archaeological dig area - and that's only because I never for a moment considered that the answer would be given to me in the notebook!

I spent a while considering what possible significance the symbols could have and if they related to each other in some way that would help me put them in order. Then I thought, "Hang on, Von Kroy's notes had some info on these, I wonder if that'll help?" ... opens and flicks through notebook ... "Oh :(" ... pull the lever a few times after locking things into place and all done; cue disappointment.

The other place I got stuck wasn't a puzzle per se, it was just so illogical that until I read here how to do it the Red Ghost had me beat.

It's sad that the game design doesn't include a little more to inspire the grey matter. As you say, I know that it has to entertain across a wide age range but a few brain teasers for us 'oldsters' to be able to apply our experience to (as opposed to tests of our deteriorating reflexes :)) would be nice.

BkBaby999
16th Jul 2003, 00:24
*Deep sigh*

you hit the nail on the proverbial head my friends
as a matter of fact I'm starting to think the game was perfect (ly dull) so they added the bugs and such to get people all riled up about it because as it stands with minimal glitches seen on my second run through it just didn't hide the fact that the game was.....basically blah and boring!

but now I'm back to TR1....still happy happy happy, running around and flexing that ole grey matter again

PS I love the way you English blokes talk :D (is bloke a good word?)

owen10
16th Jul 2003, 00:26
Bloke's a fine word. :)

tomb_raiding
16th Jul 2003, 09:40
Yep I agree http://forums.eidosgames.com/images/icons/icon14.gif

susan
16th Jul 2003, 09:52
Originally posted by BkBaby999

PS I love the way you English blokes talk :D (is bloke a good word?)

Yep, but only if you're talking about men. Bloke = man! ;) :D

CatSuit&Ponytail
16th Jul 2003, 12:04
Originally posted by BkBaby999
(is bloke a good word?)

Not if you are in Quebec. There it's an insult.

flatpanel
16th Jul 2003, 16:39
Hello,

I too am mildly disappointed with the game. It is in the soul of the game.

In Tombraider I, Lara climbed out of a claustrophobic cavern and stairwell into the vast expanse of the colliseum. The transition was exhilarating. The Venice level in TR II will always be my favorite. The music was inspired. The setting was exotic. The play varied in both land and water. The end of the scene was right out of James bond. Comandeering a speed boat, driving up a ramp, through an elevated bridge with glass flying and landing on three (unihabited) gondolas to shoot through a gap and beat the doors closing.

The push with this game was to get all the graphics going that they could. I imagine that with enough testing, I too could get the same performance that the Eidos testers were able to achieve. Still the best part of the Tombraider series has been the story-telling in places we could never go, like the tibetan monastery.

For instance, I don't get why she cares about Von Croy? She seems to hate his guts at the begining, but then we get an FMV with Lara cradling the dead Von Croy with affection.

I am probably being too harsh. AOD is a good game, but it has a long history to live up to. If Eidos is interested in the opinion of someone who played computer games long before pong, then perhaps they may concentrate on story and soul more than the technical wizardry.

Sukerkin
16th Jul 2003, 17:35
Sorry for diverging from the thread topic for a moment, TR-AOD but Catsuit & Ponytail has piqued my curiosity with commenting that, in Quebec, "Bloke" is an insult.

If it's publishable in a 'family forum', what does it mean C & P?

As Susan has already said, here in Blighty it's simply an informal slang term for 'Man' (somewhat like 'Chap' or 'Fellow').

Oh and Bk, I'm glad our style of 'talking' meets with your approval - I'm often afraid that I sound a little on the 'stiff and stilted' side so it's good to know it doesn't annoy.

TR-AOD
16th Jul 2003, 23:12
Originally posted by Sukerkin

As Susan has already said, here in Blighty it's simply an informal slang term for 'Man' (somewhat like 'Chap' or 'Fellow').

a "chap" or "fellow" wil drink either a port and lemon or gin, a "bloke" drinks lager or beer

BkBaby999
16th Jul 2003, 23:25
so what do chicks drink?;)

TR-AOD
16th Jul 2003, 23:27
alcopops............... sometimes drunk by chaps too when trying to look like a bloke :D

Sukerkin
17th Jul 2003, 05:59
Originally posted by TR-AOD
a "chap" or "fellow" wil drink either a port and lemon or gin, a "bloke" drinks lager or beer

:lol: - Good definition!