PDA

View Full Version : Problems with Radeons?

LCTR
14th Jul 2003, 23:36
I've noticed a large majority having problems with Radeons. Id like to know what the deal is. Are Nvidia Users having the same problems? Maybe it's just the newer batch of dx9 cards? Anyone who has performance problems that shouldn't(meaning u have above the reccomended suggestions)post here plz!

Raven
15th Jul 2003, 00:11
My card is a Radeon 8500 Lite. My specs are well above the minimum and in fact the recommended, and my game freezes quite often, usually in certain areas. When this happens I have to restart the whole PC :rolleyes:
Apart from this there are quite a lot of areas in the game with missing textures-this is more of an annoyance than anything.

jso2897
15th Jul 2003, 01:07
I'm using a mere 7200, 32mb, but some things I did bfore even installing AOD: Went to ATI site and downloaded and installed latest Catalyst suite of drivers, etc. Went to Windows update and downloaded and installed DX9, latest version, Tested all of above in DXDIAG and made sure it was running right, Then, after installing the game, I installed the patch. I think doing it in that order helps a lot.

Dragen
15th Jul 2003, 05:11
haha...
raven, jso: i have both those cards :D both rocks.
im using the 8500le with 128 mb ddr gfxmem on it, and the game is laggy when there is smoke/fog/water/grass/plants etc :(

gangstaplay_the_third
15th Jul 2003, 06:40
I'm using the Radeon 9700 and, IMHO, the game is still absolutely worth getting.

There are flicking textures here and there, the occasional oddly coloured door, and the annoying system crashes to watch out for.

Regarding performance, I have been able to get mine running at 1280x960 60Hz by turning all the effects and filtering etc. up rather than down. That is most odd, but I am certain it caused a significant improvement in the speed of the game (since I have begun to re-play it) and therefore my enjoyment of the game. There are very fiew laggy bits, in fact the only place where the frame rate dropped noticeably was the graveyard. Plus with all the post-processing, levels like Le Serpent Rouge and The Hall of Seasons look stunning.

LCTR
15th Jul 2003, 06:53
I'm using the Radeon 9700 and, IMHO, the game is still absolutely worth getting.

There are flicking textures here and there, the occasional oddly coloured door, and the annoying system crashes to watch out for.

Regarding performance, I have been able to get mine running at 1280x960 60Hz by turning all the effects and filtering etc. up rather than down. That is most odd, but I am certain it caused a significant improvement in the speed of the game (since I have begun to re-play it) and therefore my enjoyment of the game. There are very fiew laggy bits, in fact the only place where the frame rate dropped noticeably was the graveyard. Plus with all the post-processing, levels like Le Serpent Rouge and The Hall of Seasons look stunning. Yeah I tried Your suggestion cuz My system is similar to yours, cept i have a 9500 PRO. But even still it shoulds run better than it does. Im in the graveyard and I only get 15-20 fps in 1024X768 and less in the mode u suggested. Im using all the latest drivers... The game does run much better without shader hardware turned on, but then I loose all the cool shader effects that m card was built to do! I can play unreal 2 in 1280X1024 with 2x fsaa on! And splinter cell I can run in 1024X768 just fine! So theres gotta be something up. Gangsta what mobo are you using and what chipset?

gangstaplay_the_third
15th Jul 2003, 07:21
LCTR,

This is a Dell system so the motherboard is not a retail one. I think the chipset is Intel i850e. One thing I did with the Radeon before playing the game was to install the latest Catalyst 3.5 drivers from the ATI web site. I then went into the ATI 'Advanced' display settings (the ATI control panel) and changed the Direct3D settings to the default 'Balanced' mode. If you have this set higher, the driver can override the AA and AS settings in the game, which could well reduce performance.

LCTR
15th Jul 2003, 20:36
Yeah mines set to balanced. I am using the 845PE chipset with all the latest drivers. I guess Ill just have to play untill someone figures something out. Or untill another patch comes out. I haven't ever been impressed with eidos's support :( But it's there atleast.