PDA

View Full Version : not to thrilled with TR 3 so far

kathy 5
14th Jul 2003, 18:39
well lets just say If this Is to be the whole game than I'll skip this One & got to 4

every thing Is blended In so you can't see things I have no clue as to where to go & I'm at the place where you find the first secrect

I went Into the next room only to have to shoot the little monkey to get the small med pack cause the little bugger bit me!
so I went Into the water & found a tunnel & almost died
the flairs arn't half as long as they were In TR2 & all of the controlls are differnt too

I get out jump over to the door I opened with a switch that I found only to be crushed bu a wall I gave up :(

Lone Raider
14th Jul 2003, 19:20
this game is still the best for me. The levels are incredibly big and challenging, and even after three years I still found new ways of doing things and getting places. Just keep trying. Adjust your screen so it´s a bit brighter, I can assure you, it is quite wonderful. Don´t give up so easily :)
And if you really get stuck, there´s Stella to help you out. Her walkthroughs are brilliant.
Here´s the address:
Stella´s walkthroughs (http://www.tombraiders.net/stella)

kathy 5
14th Jul 2003, 19:25
thanks well I gave up for the day I just finished TR 2 today as well so I'm a bit tired maby I'll try again in a few days let my brain rest

Lone Raider
15th Jul 2003, 00:58
that room with the spiky wall:
press the switch, roll, do two running steps and a jump, and you´ll land in the window. The wall will go by and you can safely get to the exit. :)
I remember it frightened me too:)
And in the first level you don´t have to kill any monkeys. They are meant to lead you to places.

EddyBones
15th Jul 2003, 15:08
The whole point is for it to be difficult. Why else play it?

Mangar The Dark
15th Jul 2003, 15:17
Originally posted by Gandalf the Gray
The whole point is for it to be difficult. Why else play it?

To have fun, perhaps? There's a difference between difficult and downright annoying. While I enjoyed much of TR3, I have to say that at times it did become downright annoying. There were a few too many traps that would simply kill you the first time you encounter them (because you had no way of knowing the trap would be sprung.) For me, good game design allows you to see the trap first, thus giving you a chance to react to it. That's not to say it has to be easy, just fair.

Lone Raider
16th Jul 2003, 00:47
NO WAY DUDE!!!
That´s just it: you end up carefully sneaking around, tensed up to the max, cause u expect yet another sudden death!!! Next time, you know better. This is what I love about TR.
...Time for a nostalgic memory here... When I started TRC, I found myself in this little alley. Pulled out the guns, hairs on end cause I´d just been through TR4... Step by step I worked my way to the entrance of the backstage of the opera. Didn´t know that, though, cause it´s not very decipherable on the PS. So there I stood, in the entrance, expecting all sorts of monsters, mummies, zombies or God knows what... :D
Did I feel foolish afterwards when I realized it´s the training room :D:D:D

kathy 5
16th Jul 2003, 13:12
I love the wat lara would go ah ha when she found something & she doesn't make the noises like she did In 1 & 2 when she climbs or hits a wall

why get pople hooked In the first 2 games only to chang things In 3
???

Mangar The Dark
16th Jul 2003, 16:12
Originally posted by Lone Raider
NO WAY DUDE!!!
That´s just it: you end up carefully sneaking around, tensed up to the max, cause u expect yet another sudden death!!! Next time, you know better. This is what I love about TR.

I take it you're a fan of Roberta Williams' games?

EddyBones
16th Jul 2003, 17:31
Whozzat?

Mangar The Dark
16th Jul 2003, 18:42
Roberta Williams made graphic adventures such as "The Colonel's Bequest," "King's Quest," and "The Dagger of Amon Ra." They were good games, but you would die from totally unexpected things. For example, you might just be wandering around a mansion, talking to various characters, looking at things, etc, and suddenly, a chandelier would fall on your head and kill you. You had no way of knowing this would happen, and unless you saved nearby, it was rather annoying.

The original "Secret of Monkey Island" game made a parody of this. If you walked on a certain spot along a cliff, the cliff would suddenly break apart, and you'd plunge to your death. Then an ending screen would appear that looked exactly like the types of end-screens that appeared in all Roberta Williams' games, so it was obvious who they were mocking. (fortunately, a few second later, Guybrush would bounce back up and you could continue playing.)

Lone Raider
20th Jul 2003, 16:55
hi Mangar, been on a little holiday...
Uh, I never heard of Roberta Williams... and actually, I´m afraid, I´m a right TombRaider anorak, cause it´s the only videogame I play. Mind you, I work and have kids, so that restricts my playtime a bit...:)

EddyBones
20th Jul 2003, 17:13
Originally posted by kathy 5
why get pople hooked In the first 2 games only to chang things In 3 ???
I hardly noticed a difference, besides more weapons and better puzzles.
You can't keep the same old thing forever anyway, People would get bored with that.