PDA

View Full Version : How serious are the BUgs in this game?

Lucifer666
14th Jul 2003, 17:27
OK,

So we know the game has bugs!!!!!

How serious are they - please Vote....

I am getting to be honest very fed up with people arguing with me saying that there are no sesious bug in this game - or there are only 3-4 bug.

My opinion is that this is rubbish and I wanna hear what the general view on this is.

To give you some idea - I voted for:-

The bugs are ruining the game for me.

My reason for this is that I have spent many hours stuck because of bugs when I could have been potentially enjoying the game.

I think it is appalling that a piece of software should be considered as suitable for release in this state!!!!

BkBaby999
14th Jul 2003, 17:39
playing AoD was like shooting the unkillable scarabs.....
the bugs kept coming and coming................;)
arrrgh no more polls dude, no more. IMO the game is a hot mess but people want to love it and kiss it and buy it, bugs or no bugs.....they just gotta work it out for themselves! My personal advice to those who don't have it is rent it on Fri, play it and finish it over the weekend, and take it back on Mon. 'Nuff said!

Lucifer666
14th Jul 2003, 17:44
Originally posted by BkBaby999
playing AoD was like shooting the unkillable scarabs.....
the bugs kept coming and coming................;)
arrrgh no more polls dude, no more. IMO the game is a hot mess but people want to love it and kiss it and buy it, bugs or no bugs.....they just gotta work it out for themselves! My personal advice to those who don't have it is rent it on Fri, play it and finish it over the weekend, and take it back on Mon. 'Nuff said!

Now that is a magic statement - I'm in awe that I didn't think of it!!!!!

However - my last poll has faded and I'm feeling the need for a new one - beside I feel strongly that People should know the general opinion on this game and for the arguements this should be cleared up fully.......

Lucifer666
14th Jul 2003, 17:49
I have to post this from a different thread - it's by Elvin Presler.

The other TR games were relatively bug free, very polished, and nothing was overlooked. This one is not even finished. It doesn't have bugs.......it has friggin parts missing entirely! It's literally an early beta if not alpha! They just pulled the plug in the middle of development and began to sell it anyway! I find it almost inconceivable and blatantly wrong!

I wont lie - so I wont say he is wrong!

I think this sums it up in one go. . . . .

LARAMANIAC
14th Jul 2003, 18:17
Playing PS2 version - I have encounted 3 or 4 bugs so far - nothing major - in fact one of them made me laugh - Lara walked around for half a level with a 20ft plank through her midriff - looked like a tightrope walker, but it went away when I saved!! As some of you know, I am enjoying Angel of Darkness, I think its brilliant, had some controller problems, but think they were more mine than the system, old controls firmly imprinted on my brain, took some removing!!!! :D Loving it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :p

owen10
14th Jul 2003, 18:23
Originally posted by LARAMANIAC
Playing PS2 version - I have encounted 3 or 4 bugs so far - nothing major - in fact one of them made me laugh - Lara walked around for half a level with a 20ft plank through her midriff - looked like a tightrope walker, but it went away when I saved!!
LOL, that happened to me as well. That one annoyed me, though, as I didn't save thinking it would still be there when I reloaded. Doh. :rolleyes:

For me, the bugs ruined my experience and enjoyment of the game, so option number 4 for me.

Lucifer666
14th Jul 2003, 18:23
Originally posted by LARAMANIAC
Playing PS2 version - I have encounted 3 or 4 bugs so far - nothing major - in fact one of them made me laugh - Lara walked around for half a level with a 20ft plank through her midriff - looked like a tightrope walker, but it went away when I saved!! As some of you know, I am enjoying Angel of Darkness, I think its brilliant, had some controller problems, but think they were more mine than the system, old controls firmly imprinted on my brain, took some removing!!!! :D Loving it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :p

Fair enough - if that is how you feel about it.....

I want more posts and more votes - keep em comming.....

Riovanes
14th Jul 2003, 19:12
Originally posted by Lucifer666
I want more posts

As is evidenced by your insistence on posting three or four times when you could cover your answers to multiple people very easily with just ONE post, and your continual posting of polls when no one actually cares that much.

You do realize the words "senior member" under your name are just that? Words? They're just there to indicate that you have 500 posts - and considering you're logging better than 25 posts a DAY, it's really not going to be an expression of any kind of seniority or even skill/knowledge - just an obsession with post-pumping.

But, of course, you needn't respond, because I can see it already - "My posts are legitimate! I respond to everyone individually because I think they deserve that respect! I'm not just pumping my post count, so stop attacking me."

En Vita Veritas - In life, the truth has a way of finding the air - I just wonder who else is smelling it at this point.:rolleyes:

BAH!!!

moe888uk
14th Jul 2003, 19:23
I dont think someone would just post to get their post count up.

moe888uk
14th Jul 2003, 19:25
Seriously I dont

Lucifer666
14th Jul 2003, 19:28
Originally posted by Riovanes
As is evidenced by your insistence on posting three or four times when you could cover your answers to multiple people very easily with just ONE post, and your continual posting of polls when no one actually cares that much.

You do realize the words "senior member" under your name are just that? Words? They're just there to indicate that you have 500 posts - and considering you're logging better than 25 posts a DAY, it's really not going to be an expression of any kind of seniority or even skill/knowledge - just an obsession with post-pumping.

But, of course, you needn't respond, because I can see it already - "My posts are legitimate! I respond to everyone individually because I think they deserve that respect! I'm not just pumping my post count, so stop attacking me."

En Vita Veritas - In life, the truth has a way of finding the air - I just wonder who else is smelling it at this point.:rolleyes:

BAH!!!

Nothing legitmate to say on this post - just thought you go for a personal slate.

Go away and be lonely somewhere else or put something in to do with the thread!

I'm bored listening to your abuse toward people on threads rather than putting something to do with the threads.......

Riovanes
14th Jul 2003, 19:28
*giggles*

No, of course not. We all know that posting single-sentence responses to major questions in several separate posts has nothing to do with post-pumping - because no one gets a power trip off the "senior member" bit. After all, everyone realizes they're just words that don't make a damn bit of difference as to whether you're still a joke or not...:rolleyes:

*Edit* Right, I'm the lonely one... seeing as I post possibly three times a day, if that... But I suppose having a job and a social life at night means I'm lonely, since I don't post multiple polls that essentially ask the same question...

BAH!!!

Lucifer666
14th Jul 2003, 19:30
*giggles*

No, of course not. We all know that posting single-sentence responses to major questions in several separate posts has nothing to do with post-pumping - because no one gets a power trip off the "senior member" bit. After all, everyone realizes they're just words that don't make a damn bit of difference as to whether you're still a joke or not...:rolleyes:

BAH!!!

Maybe at the tender age of 21 you would get such a power trip - as someone that can't handle power and would abuse it - your words....

But as you get older I'm sure that will change....

Riovanes
14th Jul 2003, 19:32
Maybe at the tender age of 21 you would get such a power trip - as someone that can't handle power and would abuse it - your words....

But as you get older I'm sure that will change....

Oh, I'm sorry - I should've said "sarcasm in black," right? That way you'd get the joke, as opposed to taking me seriously?

BAH!!!

Lucifer666
14th Jul 2003, 19:36
Oh, I'm sorry - I should've said "sarcasm in black," right? That way you'd get the joke, as opposed to taking me seriously?

BAH!!!

Still nothing valid to add to this post Eh??

Riovanes
14th Jul 2003, 19:39
Still nothing valid to add to this post Eh??

Apparently not - but that's not stopping either of us, is it?

BAH!!!

Lucifer666
14th Jul 2003, 19:56
Apparently not - but that's not stopping either of us, is it?

BAH!!!

Well I purchased the game and have been playing it for many many days - although I have been playing it I have failed to enjoy it as much as the others.

Tell me have you actually put more than a hour or two into it?

Did you actually purchase it?

Are you here because your a "Forum hoar" or do you actually have something to contribute other than to criticize what others say?

So lets see what were you views Riovanes on the Maximum security area?

How easy did you find it to Kill Boaz?

What part of the underwater level did you like most?

There are 7 questions here - how many can you answer?:p

moe888uk
14th Jul 2003, 20:11
I think Lucifer and Riovanes both are the same people. :p

Riovanes
14th Jul 2003, 20:14
Ahem...

First off, buddy, it's "whore," not "hoar." Being from the UK, I'd think you would've known that - considering everyone I work with here in London is even more of a spelling freak than I am - which I wouldn't have thought possible... *relinquishes his uber-geek crown*

Second, I've put a total of 40 hours into the game. Why? Because I write professionally for a review site, and I've been WORKING ON THE REVIEW. As you've chosen to say so many times before now - "Have you not read that far?" Try taking your own advice, and read before you post, yes?

Third, no, I did not purchase the game - when you work for a company that does reviews, you don't have to buy your work - that's just how the business goes, right?

Fourth - I've been contributing to this forum for over two years now (my registration date was changed when the forum was moved from its old home last summer) - and most of my contributions are legitimate. The flame thrower kind of arms itself when I start smelling trolls or post-pumpers - call it a knee jerk reaction if you want.

Fifth - my views on the Maximum Security area are as follows, taken directly from the text of my review. "As with most other areas in this game, the controls provide the biggest part of the frustration here - they're a bit too touchy and unreliable to successfully navigate the obstacles here on the first try - but then, that's been the story of the entire game so far. I really hope the other release versions aren't playing as poorly as mine (PS2-US-Build 1)."

Sixth - Killing Boaz was possibly one of the more difficult things I've done in a video game. Again, not because the game itself is particularly challenging (I think of it as Splinter Cell with a bit of a steroid pump and a little weaker writing), but because the controls were sluggish and unresponsive, and our male lead character seems to have severe issues with picking his sorry ass up once he gets knocked down. That, and the auto-aim on the game actually made it harder to fight Boaz than having a manual option would have - which is why I again compared it to Splinter Cell in the review - manually aiming shots is not only more realistic, but it's infinitely more accurate and less frustrating to the player - if you miss, it's your fault, and not a poor game engine's.

Seventh - The answer to this is the easiest. I didn't enjoy the underwater portion of the game in the slightest - in fact, it pissed me off more than anything else.

Well shucks, lookee there - seven questions, seven answers. Bear in mind that not everyone wants to dig up the same crap over and over again - which is why some of us don't like having polls that ask the same or similar questions to old ones posted over and over again.

But something was made clear to me here a moment ago by someone who gave me a bit of common sense advice. So, basically, I'm done with this little bit of stupidity.

Oh, and one last thing - if you'd like to check the veracity of my statement regarding the review company, go to www.justplaywiththem.com and look for any reviews or rants by Jason Redmon <-- that would be me.

Bear in mind that we're still in the middle of testing the pages, and it's only live on certain portions of the site. If you'd like to see some specific reviews, find "Super Mario Sunshine" and "Animal Crossing" under the Game Cube heading - I also wrote the review for Vice City, but the coding's not done on that part of the page yet. If you're feeling REALLY adventurous, you could read my social piece (re: rant) concerning the ESRB, violent video games, and the state of parenting in the US.

Thanks, and have a nice day.

*Edit* Omitted a word - me, a grammar mistake! I'm gonna go stab myself in the face with a spork now.:eek:

BAH!!!

bonnie :)
14th Jul 2003, 20:52
You know, I use this forum for information & fun. I can't understand why so many people waste space to argue & be rude to eachother. Even on this Poll section! I can guess your response would be "then why don't you just go to another forum?!".... I do & it's much better & more mature people seem to use it....Playstation.com forums. :)

tomb_raiding
14th Jul 2003, 21:07
LOL for the 1st option :D

I voted for the 2nd option cuz I have a great PC, not like your Crap, and I dunno know bout the PS2 version ;)

Lucifer666
14th Jul 2003, 22:08
Riovanes,

You finally added something valid to the thread.....
(I think)

Well done.

=========

Luc.

Sarcasm - most certainly in black!

BkBaby999
14th Jul 2003, 22:33
well so far 100% of people agree the game has bug and 2/3 think they are fairly serious bugs.....so the next time some people try to claim that the game has no bugs and is perfect and then go "whaaa" when I jump at them for trying to start false rumors......you just come check the stats!

Thank you Luce, I mean Rio, I mean...........:confused: yeah, er, you know who you are.....I think!

LARAMANIAC
14th Jul 2003, 22:36
Riovanes, I am seriously worried about you mate!! Methinks you need to go home, and do it soon!!! ;) :p

LARAMANIAC
14th Jul 2003, 22:49
Riovanes - what is the point of signing up as Lucifer too dear??? I don't understand, you are arguing with yourself!!!?? :eek: :confused:

owen10
14th Jul 2003, 23:02
Maybe everyone is Riovanes. :confused: It actually wouldn't surprise - me.

Lucifer666
14th Jul 2003, 23:04
Originally posted by owen10
Maybe everyone is Riovanes. :confused: It actually wouldn't surprise - me.

Maybe.

=====================

Sarcasm in black.

owen10
14th Jul 2003, 23:26
:confused:

Lucifer666
14th Jul 2003, 23:49
:confused:

We are NOT the same person - this was started by moe888uk - and is just not true - this is to be made clear and be understood...

And your right moe888uk I don't try to inflate my posts - what’s the point? - I just think that each individual is important enough to focus on individually.

Don't be confused Owen10 - I just don't have the energy to argue with him any more. I could carry on the pointless argument, but judging by what I've read he'll find it more insulting to be ignored...

How could people make such a strange mistake? While I tend to talk about the game, discuss and comment on the game - he would rather remark on how people behave and how they go about making their point on this forum.

It's been going on for days now and like I said I'm just not sure that I can be bothered any longer.

I have made many edits so as to stop this petty squabbling, and on reflection some of the things that I have said have been considered the wrong thing to say or do and have been removed on that basis. As far as I am concerned this argument has finished. And apologies to anyone that may have been offended in the process.

For those that haven't been to his site it is a very interesting site there - a whole bag of insight.;)

Riovanes
15th Jul 2003, 08:01
*laughs*

Well, since Lucifer already saw fit to go ahead and point out that we're not the same person, I'll just agree with him.

I mean, seriously - if I was going to sign two accounts to argue with myself, I'd like to think I could actually put up a FIGHT instead of using circular logic to dodge questions - and blame direction to deflect having to deal with anything that might just be calling me out.

Besides - unlike Luce, I don't "care" enough to create individual posts for each person I'm responding to - I just divide a single post up among multiple people - I figure if you want my opinion that badly (which I'm at a loss to understand why anyone would), you'll just read the whole thing, or pick out your part and read that. Either way, doesn't matter.

Just one thing, Luce - I should thank you for adding the extra traffic to my website - especially considering that project has been dead for... geeze, what's it been now... over a year. The manuscript I'd been posting there has been radically changed, mailed into the publishing company Tor, and accepted on an editorial basis (meaning I get to go back and tweak it). It'll be published in about a year - so if you feel like reading something that was utter cack, and that even I realize was a poor example of writing in its very best moments, then feel free to try to debase me by sending more people to the site - it just means more visitors on the counter - and having a high number of vistors *coughpostscough* makes me feel special!:D

Anyway, he's right - this thing has gotten silly. It was fun for a while, but I suppose we'd better cut it out.

BAH!!!

Lucifer666
15th Jul 2003, 08:12
I was referring to this one:-

www.justplaywiththem.com

I found your view on "videogames and violence" to be in line with my thoughs, if not specifically put quite the way you did.

But that’s dealt with - and I'm pleasantly surprised - Like men.

Riovanes
15th Jul 2003, 10:19
Ah yes - we always appreciate traffic at JPWT. There'll be more to it soon - we've been having some new-company hiccups, but those are clearing pretty quickly, so check back often.

As for the views on games and violence article - let's just say I don't brook the American tendency to "blame everyone but ourselves," all that well. I'm proud of my country - love it to death, actually - but we do some pretty stupid things sometimes - among them blaming the media and gaming for violence in today's youth. Trying to dodge personal responsibility makes me really, really angry - but I'm sure you read that in the article.;)

Anywho - now that this is over and done with - on to bigger targets!

Goran, where are you?!? I need someone to pester...

BAH!!!

GoranAgar
15th Jul 2003, 11:01
Rio, some of your prattling violated the Terms Of Use. Want a piece of soap? And no, you can not have the box. :p

tomb_raiding
15th Jul 2003, 11:12
LOL Goran :D

Riovanes
15th Jul 2003, 11:40
Originally posted by GoranAgar
Rio, some of your prattling violated the Terms Of Use. Want a piece of soap? And no, you can not have the box. :p

Feh - as if I'm the only one! And sure, I'll take the soap - if I can have a little knife too. And no, I won't tell you what it's for - but it has nothing to do with carving the word "box" into the soap and using that to stand on... Nothing at all. :D

BAH!!!

GoranAgar
15th Jul 2003, 11:47
:D
Have I seen that in one of your posts before?

Softy!!!!!

Riovanes
15th Jul 2003, 11:55
Psssh. Just because I choose to use some levity for a change doesn't mean I'm going soft!

You want a piece of this?!? Bring it, punk! I can take you... and... um... yeah!

*points off to the left* Look, shiny!

*runs*

(Gah - now isn't it just genius when you can get a mod to help you hijack a thread? I love this damn forum...)

BAH!!!

GoranAgar
15th Jul 2003, 12:09
My PC version doesn't show any serious bugs.

LARAMANIAC
15th Jul 2003, 14:07
Goran one word for you................naaaaaaaaah!! Best not to go there again eh mate??? ;) :p

Sukerkin
15th Jul 2003, 20:16
Well done chaps! A poll that was entertaining in and of itself - polite applause.

As to the subject matter at the heart of the thread, I voted that the bugs ruined the game. Even tho' there were no actual 'show stoppers', the constant graphical glitches and turgid/misfiring control system turned what should have been fun into a teeth grinding experience.

An unproven, small, neophyte company might have gotten away with it as everyone would have given them a break but an established company with (assumption here) experienced staff has to accept that they are expected to deliver the goods - that's especially true with a high profile franchise like TR has become.

owen10
16th Jul 2003, 13:26
Regardless, when a publisher becomes so "big" as to force a game to be released due to financial pressures, regardless of its status, you know full well that creativity has been stifled. Jeremy Heath-Smith's departure (forced or otherwise) speaks volumes about the state of the Tomb Raider franchise.

D3v1L80Y
16th Jul 2003, 18:22
Regardless, when a publisher becomes so "big" as to force a game to be released due to financial pressures, regardless of its status, you know full well that creativity has been stifled. Jeremy Heath-Smith's departure (forced or otherwise) speaks volumes about the state of the Tomb Raider franchise.

Indeed.

Tomb Raider Fan
16th Jul 2003, 20:15
Stop bickering!

I have only found 1 bug on the PS2.....That was when i was in the Derlict Apartment where she walked through the wall and couldn't get out! But nothing serious i guess..Just a re-load situation :)

Lucifer666
16th Jul 2003, 22:04
Originally posted by Tomb Raider Fan
Stop bickering!

I have only found 1 bug on the PS2.....That was when i was in the Derlict Apartment where she walked through the wall and couldn't get out! But nothing serious i guess..Just a re-load situation :)

Soooo, you would say walking into a wall and getting stuck not a serious bug?

PC version is more buggy......

tomb_raiding
16th Jul 2003, 22:25
Not it isn't

WHY AM I NOT HAVING SERIOUS BUGS??? :mad:

I want serious Bugs (I don't like to feel alone :D)

Riovanes
17th Jul 2003, 08:49
*Gives tomb_raiding an aged dung beetle with a monacle and a law degree*

That's one - collecting the rest is YOUR responsibility.;)

BAH!!!

tomb_raiding
17th Jul 2003, 09:43
LOL :D Very Funny :D

PS why do u always end your post with a "BAH!!"
I mean come on u sound like a sheep :D (no offence) ;)

Riovanes
17th Jul 2003, 10:58
Originally posted by tomb_raiding
PS why do u always end your post with a "BAH!!"
I mean come on u sound like a sheep :D (no offence) ;)

You'd be surprised how spot-on you are about that... And there's a joke in it - a very egotistical, personal joke about how I view people in general - I have a feeling you'll catch it rather quickly.;)

BAH!!!

tomb_raiding
17th Jul 2003, 16:41
BAH !! I hope so :D

debbie_bigpie
21st Jul 2003, 21:31
Well I don't understand why everyone is slagging each other off on this thread. The question was...has AOD got too many bugs.....and everyone is entitled to their opinion.

My opinion is....there are lots of bugs, and that just amuses me. I am a die hard Lara fan, and I think the game is great. OK, every now and then I can see her eyeballs through the back of her head, and sometimes she gets stuck on a block and I have to go back to a previous save. I don't care. It is an excellent game. I have had hours of fun. I guess I am just not that picky and I don't get too bothered when the game f****s up. It's just a game, right? And I am so near the end now, I just want to eek it out a bit more....

Maybe if I was a perfectionist I would be p*****d off, but it just makes the game more challenging, AND I LOVE IT!!!

So thats my opinion.......and I'm not stressed, frustrated or annoyed, just playing the game and having a good time. Isn't that how it's supposed to be?

Katie_Fleming
21st Jul 2003, 21:56
I am playing the PC version and the only bugs that I have encountered are:

1) the guy @ the cafe's face isn't normal
2) one guy at the louvre didn't have a face

That's two bugs that I've seen in the game, but they do not what so ever AFFECT game play.

Therefore, AOD is bug free :)

nowalruses
5th Aug 2003, 02:59
Geeez!!! I can't believe I read this highly entertaining thread in it's entirity. Thank you Lucifer, Rio, Goran, and the entire cast. I needed the laughs. I'm giving this thread two thumbs up...Fun for the whole family!

Now, back on topic, I think everyone is in agreement that this game has bugs(like just about every other game). But, I think the real debate and disagreement came from the fact that the bugs are not consistent from one player to the next. Everyone seems to have suffered them to a different degree. I guess that's what we get for buying an unfinished game.

Personally, I thought the bugs were quite serious just for the sheer numbers. But, after reading problems that others had and seeing some of the screen shots posted, I count myself lucky. I was at least able to play, enjoy and finish the game.

nayr
6th Aug 2003, 15:54
The simple fact to me is that if we are shelling out $50+ for a game, we deserve a good product. The game may be awesome in and of itself - but you cannot excuse bugs by saying the game is "still good anyway."

If we keep on buying these games at full price, we are telling them that it is ok to make a bug-filled game - "Go on, we're so addicted we'll buy it anyway!"

bonnie :)
6th Aug 2003, 17:17
Originally posted by nayr
The simple fact to me is that if we are shelling out $50+ for a game, we deserve a good product. The game may be awesome in and of itself - but you cannot excuse bugs by saying the game is "still good anyway."

If we keep on buying these games at full price, we are telling them that it is ok to make a bug-filled game - "Go on, we're so addicted we'll buy it anyway!" I agree. Since Core/Eidos has released other games without bugs as well as other companies have, then why did AOD have a few especially after all the delays? When I buy a product, I expect it to work correctly or give me a discount for its flaws.

Lucifer666
13th Aug 2003, 22:33
Originally posted by Katie_Tomb_Raider
I am playing the PC version and the only bugs that I have encountered are:

1) the guy @ the cafe's face isn't normal
2) one guy at the louvre didn't have a face

That's two bugs that I've seen in the game, but they do not what so ever AFFECT game play.

Therefore, AOD is bug free :)

Bug free?

Surley you just said that there were bugs?

So the unkillable bad guys without heads isn't at all able to ruin the game?????

The missing walls?

Skipping levels - generally by accident!

Random controls.....

There's more!

Tomb Raider Fan
13th Aug 2003, 23:22
U shud have bought the PS2 version..I didn't find any bugs what so ever!!!

Lucifer666
14th Aug 2003, 21:58
Originally posted by Tomb Raider Fan
U shud have bought the PS2 version..I didn't find any bugs what so ever!!!

I'm not sure thats really making me feel any better! :rolleyes:

Veronica Ma
15th Aug 2003, 05:20
There is a big one in PS2. i just encountered it this morning (before the lights went out)

i restarted a new game this morning and thought i'd handle those "question & answer" sessions differently than i did the first time through. So this time i selected all the rude responses to see what would happen.

Bernard would not give me keys to the garage, so i went to the Cafe Metro, spoke to the bartender and started the Serpent Rouge level from the back way. Got to that "disco" dance room. Went through the other door beside the one i just came out of and found half the hallway missing. Afterwards, i realized that it was part of the "Bernard" route through the garage way.

After exploring the invisible hallway, i went back into the disco dance room, went upstairs and saw part of the floor invisible, exposing parts of rooms below and completely missing some crates that i needed to move and climb to reach the next level.

Because the needed crate was nowhere to be found, i had to start the game from scratch as every one of my save files had this glitch in it.

i took screenshots. if anyone's interested i could post them somewhere.

veronica.

Roman_Y2K
18th Aug 2003, 20:49
I'm less than impressed with the bugs I've come across in the PS2 version.

To be fair, a friend of mine has completed the game and apparantly says he thought it was stable. He didn't consider it was anymore bugged than previous Tomb Raiders.

In my experience I had Lara quickly repeat instructions to me, at several points in the game, which sounded like a bizarre remix. I did struggle with the controls but found I got used to it quickly, save for the camera angle.

I've dropped through the floor twice and had to restart. Once in the garage, the other in the nightclub. In the latter, the room was partically built, Lara reacted as if there was a switch on the wall, where there wasn't. She opened a door to a void and walked through.

Lara also climbed on a railing without prompting only to fall off to her death when she realised she couldn't stand on it!

The AI of the enemies appears a contradiction in terms

Worst of all I completed the pawn shop bit, lowered myself into a new area, thought Id save my position only to die within a second. I now will have to replay from the beginning as I appear to have saved at the moment of Laras death. I do not recall there being an indication anything was wrong when I saved.

Having played all the previous Tomb Raiders, I was surprised that I was caught out in that way.

Can't at the moment understand the point of Lara's abililities. For example, shes not strong enough to performance an action, so pushing a handy object about gives her the strength. It reminds me of the things I hate in rpg's, where you are not strong enough for a battle so have to boost your stats by walking in circles and getting into random battles.

Not sure about the multiple choice responses either

I did like the fact that when discusing progress with a friend, that we got to the same place by different routes and means

I like the set up of the game and I like the look and sound of it. However I am very disappointed in the quality control of this game. I am also somewhat amazed that issues with this game weren't picked up (or at least not fixed after being reported by beta testers.)

Whatever the future of Tomb Raider, I will be there. But I just can't shake the feeling of being let down

jso2897
19th Aug 2003, 00:28
The game reviewers and others seem to have a double standard. I just bought GTA3, and have played it some. This was a game that the game reviewers and "serious" gamers raved about - and talk about bugs! Constant slowdowns, graphical glitches, nightmarish controls (you have to switch back and forth from keypad to mouselook when driving vs walking, among many absurdities) - this game's a mess! It's fun anyway, and I'm enjoying playing it - but if the same people who took AOD apart piece by piece had subjected this plotless, glitchy, and socially irresponsible mishmosh to the same standard - well, they wouldn't have made such a whoop about it. Just goes to show what crooks the game reviewers are.:D

Lucifer666
25th Aug 2003, 22:14
Originally posted by jso2897
The game reviewers and others seem to have a double standard. I just bought GTA3, and have played it some. This was a game that the game reviewers and "serious" gamers raved about - and talk about bugs! Constant slowdowns, graphical glitches, nightmarish controls (you have to switch back and forth from keypad to mouselook when driving vs walking, among many absurdities) - this game's a mess! It's fun anyway, and I'm enjoying playing it - but if the same people who took AOD apart piece by piece had subjected this plotless, glitchy, and socially irresponsible mishmosh to the same standard - well, they wouldn't have made such a whoop about it. Just goes to show what crooks the game reviewers are.:D

On the money!

GTA3 Vice City is a lot of fun too......