PDA

View Full Version : No, YOU QUIT IT!!!



Elvin Presler
14th Jul 2003, 16:33
The game does suck! It's a blatantly unfinished, definitely unpolished early beta with broken controls that don't respond to the button you press (Action+Forward and she pulls a crate backward!) and the longest list of unacceptable bugs ever!

So stop whining about people whining. They have every right to scream to high heaven. They were blatantly ripped off By Eidos to meet a deadline. :mad:

owen10
14th Jul 2003, 16:43
You seem to have more problems with the controls that most, which at the very least do work. They're just crap, which is a different matter. If you press action + forward near a crate, the only time she'll push it backwards is when you're facing the camera and the crate's in front of Lara.

I agree about the quality of the game though, which is quite shocking. If they cared about their market, they would have delayed it further. But they didn't, they cared about their money. Hats off to Eidos.

NrthnStar5
14th Jul 2003, 16:48
I've never had a game that frusterated me so much. I've had times when i tell her to do one thing, and she does another, but not a whole lot. The whole game is frusterating, and I hate it when i want her to take off, she walks a few steps then starts jogging, it's like, GET MOVING!

Elvin Presler
14th Jul 2003, 17:00
Originally posted by owen10
If you press action + forward near a crate, the only time she'll push it backwards is when you're facing the camera and the crate's in front of Lara.

I played the PC version. The camera was behind Lara and pressing Action + Forward/Up would cause her to pull the crate rather than push it about half the time.

Pressing Walk + Jump to do the small "Hop" makes her hop and curve hard left or right randomly 8 out of 10 times, rendering this move completely useless.

Drawing the gun.....then she puts it right back! Sometimes when you press Action to fire, she holsters the gun insted! WTF?

Pressing "Roll" would sometimes make her roll twice?!?!

The nitwitt Kurtis during the Boaz fight. If he gets knocked down.....he gets hit 5 more times while his patheticly long "getting back up" animation plays, and of course falls back down before you can even control him again. Then to further pee in your cheerios, he won't target properly, and fires 2 bullets at once so you get like 5 shots per clip and have to go run, pick up another one, get knocked back down 18 more times, repeat.

There are many more, but in short the controls DO NOT work properly. It's not that they changed them that's "hard to get used to", it's that they flat out DO NOT do the same thing every time. They DO NOT always or even very often do what they are supposed to do!

Then there's all the other bugs, the useless items, ammo and pawn shop, left holser, and doors because they simply didn't bother to finish the game and whatever they were going to put there is just not there. There's the fact that the game is rediculously short. And on, and on, and on, and on.....................

owen10
14th Jul 2003, 17:12
That sounds poor. Oddly, none of those happened in my PS2 version. I used the hop move all the time to negotiate small platforms (Breath of Hades and Eckhardt's Lab entrance) and pulling/pushing things never posed any such problems. The Boaz fight was hard though, as a result of Kurtis tendency to only target his gun when a foot away from the creature's gaping mouth. So, to reiterate, in my UK PS2 version the controls DO always work.

The other bugs exist mind, but at the very least don't cause the game to explode. I do demand better though, and the next instalment certainly has alot to deliver.

Lucifer666
14th Jul 2003, 17:14
Originally posted by Elvin Presler
The game does suck! It's a blatantly unfinished, definitely unpolished early beta with broken controls that don't respond to the button you press (Action+Forward and she pulls a crate backward!) and the longest list of unacceptable bugs ever!

So stop whining about people whining. They have every right to scream to high heaven. They were blatantly ripped off By Eidos to meet a deadline. :mad:

I've had this - it does happen - the "I want to walk forwards and left" so why and I suddenly walking back and left has happened too - it just sounds too silly to put on here - but it is true....

I also had her climb up a wall once and end up somewhere completely difference - she could only do it once and it was quite shocking! (In the sewers!)
She also decided that she could walk sideways between some bars in the sewers and I spent the next 4 hours trying to figure how to get her out - I had to reload and then found that it was some random bug coz she couldn't do it again - figured out what was supposed to be done and carried on - but how angry after wasting 4 hours on a bug!!!!!!!!

AAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Lucifer666
14th Jul 2003, 17:15
Originally posted by owen10
That sounds poor. Oddly, none of those happened in my PS2 version. I used the hop move all the time to negotiate small platforms (Breath of Hades and Eckhardt's Lab entrance) and pulling/pushing things never posed any such problems. The Boaz fight was hard though, as a result of Kurtis tendency to only target his gun when a foot away from the creature's gaping mouth. So, to reiterate, in my UK PS2 version the controls DO always work.

The other bugs exist mind, but at the very least don't cause the game to explode. I do demand better though, and the next instalment certainly has alot to deliver.

On the PC they must have built in a sucidal freewill option where whe'll hop in random directions and other silly stuff!!!!

owen10
14th Jul 2003, 17:17
Originally posted by Lucifer666
On the PC they must have built in a sucidal freewill option where whe'll hop in random directions and other silly stuff!!!!
Maybe it's those previously thought lost, "brain power" upgrades. "My brain feels stronger" :D

Lucifer666
14th Jul 2003, 17:20
Originally posted by owen10
Maybe it's those previously thought lost, "brain power" upgrades. "My brain feels stronger" :D

AAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't be giving core/eidos ideas!

BkBaby999
14th Jul 2003, 17:23
well that was part of the prob.....to play the game and something would happen and you're thinking "was that supoosed to happen or was it a glitch"......and the hardest thing is that these glitches happen very randomly (except the first slowdown on the roof and the walk off the rooftop and freefall) so we don't always know what's going on to see if someone else has the same glitch or not to confirm it that it is a glitch. And it's really hard when people start running around saying "it must be your PS2 or your computer because the game has no glitches"-that's just a lie. Out of everything going on, I bet if a poll went up saying Does AOD have horrible glitches, yes or no, the answer would be a resounding 99%!!! (not asking can you deal with them or not but just the fact of the glitches existing) And yes I know that all games come with minor glitches but we can go there and ask did you get minor or major glitches and I bet 75% would still have to be honest and say yes.

It's time to stop arguing tho and just state the facts!

Lucifer666
14th Jul 2003, 17:26
Originally posted by BkBaby999
well that was part of the prob.....to play the game and something would happen and you're thinking "was that supoosed to happen or was it a glitch"......and the hardest thing is that these glitches happen very randomly (except the first slowdown on the roof and the walk off the rooftop and freefall) so we don't always know what's going on to see if someone else has the same glitch or not to confirm it that it is a glitch. And it's really hard when people start running around saying "it must be your PS2 or your computer because the game has no glitches"-that's just a lie. Out of everything going on, I bet if a poll went up saying Does AOD have horrible glitches, yes or no, the answer would be a resounding 99%!!! (not asking can you deal with them or not but just the fact of the glitches existing) And yes I know that all games come with minor glitches but we can go there and ask did you get minor or major glitches and I bet 75% would still have to be honest and say yes.

It's time to stop arguing tho and just state the facts!

It's poll time. . . .

GoranAgar
14th Jul 2003, 17:27
Again?

BkBaby999
14th Jul 2003, 17:33
do you know if you read the word glitch 50 times your eyes will start to cross like Lara's in the game and bug out

muahahahahahahah

happy thoughts, happy thoughts, happy happy joy joy:D

dude....no more polls. the ostriches can have this one!

Lucifer666
14th Jul 2003, 17:34
Originally posted by GoranAgar
Again?

The last one worked didn't it - created a whole load of noise.......:)

Lucifer666
14th Jul 2003, 17:36
Originally posted by BkBaby999
do you know if you read the word glitch 50 times your eyes will start to cross like Lara's in the game and bug out

muahahahahahahah

happy thoughts, happy thoughts, happy happy joy joy:D

dude....no more polls. the ostriches can have this one!

You lit the fire on this one - I'm handing the blame to you for this one. . . . .

Go on VOTE........:cool:

Elvin Presler
14th Jul 2003, 17:40
I'm not bashing it because I'm a "Tomb Raider Hater" either. Quite the opposite. I have been a die hard Tomb Raider fan since the first one and always thought people were overly critical of TR games. This one, on the other hand is truly a gaming abomination! Even a die hard TR fan who wanted to like it and could have ignored more than most like me can't stand it and is sickened by it.

The people who say, "Oh, it works fine for me, best TR yet!!!" wouldn't know a bug if it crawled up their........ These people have just decided to like it and not see the flaws no matter what (perhaps I would too had I wasted $57 on it), like a mother who refuses to believe her little angel of a child did something wrong!

The reviewers and FPS fans always bashed it for bad controls. I have always loved the controls! They worked perfectly, quickly, and you knew how far she would jump, when she would jump and where she would land, by which combo of buttons you pressed. There was a learning curve for a Tomb Raider newbie, but the controls worked flawlessly. Now they don't.

The other TR games were relatively bug free, very polished, and nothing was overlooked. This one is not even finished. It doesn't have bugs.......it has friggin parts missing entirely! It's literally an early beta if not alpha! They just pulled the plug in the middle of development and began to sell it anyway! I find it almost inconceivable and blatantly wrong!

SHAME ON YOU EIDOS/CORE! A disgusting, embarassing shame!

Lucifer666
14th Jul 2003, 17:46
The other TR games were relatively bug free, very polished, and nothing was overlooked. This one is not even finished. It doesn't have bugs.......it has friggin parts missing entirely! It's literally an early beta if not alpha! They just pulled the plug in the middle of development and began to sell it anyway! I find it almost inconceivable and blatantly wrong!

This is going in my thread near the top of the post - I totally agree......

PSwartzell
14th Jul 2003, 17:47
Not that it SHOULD be this way, but I can clarify WHY she jumps left or right when trying to hop. Maybe it will help.

She always hops in the direction of the last key you pressed before hopping. So, if you were trying to line up the hop, you probably walk to an edge, push a little left, and hop. She will hop to the left. If you instead had pushed right and then hopped, she would hop to the right. After figuring this out, I always line up the direction, back up one step, move forward one step, and then hop. Since the last key was forward, she now hops straight.

FYI, I found the game frustrating, but it has a lot of potential. I would still buy the next one if they clean up the bugs.

owen10
14th Jul 2003, 17:51
Some people seem to think I'm lying about stuff, because my opinions/experiences aren't the same as others'/your own. The fact of the matter is 99% of regulars on this board play TR on PC. I don't, and I play on PS2. From my experience (1 1/2 times through the game), the controls always worked. They were horrible, unwieldy and at times difficult, but they did what they were designed to do. FOR ME.

The glitches and bugs on the other hand are a different matter, one which I have never attempted to defend or lie about.

It is of course an irony that a forum member can spout negative comments about the game and be agreed with, without actually having played the game (remaining nameless) and yet be held in higher regard than someone who has played the game, simply because he (that's me, kids) hasn't experienced similar problems.

It's probably time to stop arguing though, and lie.

Lucifer666
14th Jul 2003, 17:52
Originally posted by PSwartzell
Not that it SHOULD be this way, but I can clarify WHY she jumps left or right when trying to hop. Maybe it will help.

She always hops in the direction of the last key you pressed before hopping. So, if you were trying to line up the hop, you probably walk to an edge, push a little left, and hop. She will hop to the left. If you instead had pushed right and then hopped, she would hop to the right. After figuring this out, I always line up the direction, back up one step, move forward one step, and then hop. Since the last key was forward, she now hops straight.

FYI, I found the game frustrating, but it has a lot of potential. I would still buy the next one if they clean up the bugs.

Well noticed there - but it's a ridiculous feature - If I wanted to hop to the left I would push left - like if I want to jump to the left I would also push left!!!!

OWEN10 - give me names - I gotta know..........

brian92
14th Jul 2003, 17:59
So, if I am hearing correct, you didn't buy the game and you are still ranting this strongly over the controls and the bugs? Wow, I'd hate to see what you would be like if you actually bought the game.

I think everyone realizes the game has bugs and the controls are less than optimal (to put it nicely). But the controls do work. Yes, the game is unfinished and should not have gone out, but I think there is hope, but they need to iron out a lot of stuff first (controls, slow downs, bugs, jump/shoot move, etc.). Personally, I'm looking forward to the next one, but I wont buy it until after I read all the reviews. If it has the same problems as this one, then I'm done with TR.

owen10
14th Jul 2003, 18:13
Originally posted by brian92
So, if I am hearing correct, you didn't buy the game and you are still ranting this strongly over the controls and the bugs? Wow, I'd hate to see what you would be like if you actually bought the game.
You're not hearing correct. ANOTHER forum member (oh it was "ahch2003" :rolleyes: ) went on a bashing rampage without actually owning the game, a truth revealed many posts later. I myself have played and completed the game, and yet have been the subject of some derision under the illusion that I am lying. Simple as.

Lucifer666
14th Jul 2003, 18:15
Originally posted by owen10
You're not hearing correct. ANOTHER forum member (oh it was "ahch2003" :rolleyes: ) went on a bashing rampage without actually owning the game, a truth revealed many posts later. I myself have played and completed the game, and yet have been the subject of some derision under the guise that I am lying. Simple as.

Naa - you know too much.

Anyone that has given the game alot of time can see that......

Actually I seem to remember being there for that one. . . .

I'll wait for him to return, should hold some fun and interesting comments!!!!

Elvin Presler
14th Jul 2003, 18:17
Originally posted by PSwartzell
Not that it SHOULD be this way, but I can clarify WHY she jumps left or right.......*snip*

Ahah! Interesting. I never caught onto that one. Pathetic.


brian92 said
So, if I am hearing correct, you didn't buy the game and you are still ranting this strongly over the controls and the bugs?

If I had bought it myself, I would have returned it angrily and stubornly within hours. I would NOT have taken anything less than a full cash refund without doing some damage to someone.

Any decent retailer would pull this game from their shelves and return it to Eidos themselves with a serious nastygram (notorized and signed by F. Lee Bailey) about never sending them beta crap to sell their valued customers as a finished product again, and demanding full compensation for all shipping charges etc.!

Lucifer666
14th Jul 2003, 18:21
Originally posted by Elvin Presler
Ahah! Interesting. I never caught onto that one. Pathetic.



If I had bought it myself, I would have returned it angrily and stubornly within hours. I would NOT have taken anything less than a full cash refund without doing some damage to someone.

Any decent retailer would pull this game from their shelves and return it to Eidos themselves with a serious nastygram about never sending them beta crap to sell their valued customers as a finished product again!

So you rented/hired/pirated it????

I don't need to know which - I just wanna know that you've played it for at leas 5 or 10 hours.

I.e The time it takes for her to run down a street in Paris!

Elvin Presler
14th Jul 2003, 18:26
I got it as a gift, played it all the way through. It took about 10 hours, and that is exploring everything I could find. I couldn't tell you the exact time because even the in-game clock is bugged and kept resetting itself.

Tomb Raider 1 - 4 were all 4 times the size/length/content/quality of this little beta demo of a game.

Yes
|
|
V

Lucifer666
14th Jul 2003, 18:29
have you voted on my polls?