PDA

View Full Version : I'll tell you EXACTLY why you hated AOD, play it again and you'll see...



RebeL_fARmeR
14th Jul 2003, 12:42
I knew it...

Ignoring the bugs, I swear that the reason why people were hating the game was SOLELY because they weren't adapted to the new control system. I think this because I started a new game of AOD last night, beat it once so let's do it all again! I play through the 1st few levels and enjoyed it SO much more than the 1st time I played it.
This time I KNOW how to control Lara, I KNOW what to expect her to do, I KNOW what'll happen when I push this, that and the other. When I 1st played it I was all over the place as I had no idea how to drive Lara, didn't enjoy it that much. Actually, it took me until one of the last levels before I even found out how to stop her from walking before running (Push run and THEN a direction, release direction before pressing run) that was a major irritation, all over now!!!

People who hated the game initially probably hated it because the controls were completely alien, new, need to be adapted to. You can't just begin playing the game, you have to learn HOW to play the game first.
Therefore as soon as we all master the new control system we'll all be able to APPRECIATE how good the game actually is. A game with good playability is a good game, a game with no playability is a bad game. When half of us started playing AOD we had no knowledge of the new control system and therefore couldn't work it in the same, efficient way we worked the controls in previous TR games, that contrast makes us say "THE CONTROLS ARE TERRIBLE" and go off in a huff!

My old thoughts towards the AOD control system: Terrible, degraded immensely, absolutely destroyed

My new feelings towards the AOD control system: Glitchy and a bit restricting. Yet not that much different from the original TR controls. Sometimes AOD's controls have impressed me a lot, like climbing from one thing to another (pipe to ledge .etc) because it works well.

Conclusion: As soon as you adapt to the new control system you'll start to like AOD a LOT more.

The end!!! :D

BkBaby999
14th Jul 2003, 13:02
well I'll tell you exactly what my issue is with Aod. I can't put the bugs and glitches aside because they ruined the continuity of play and the immersion factor. On my PS2 they were everywhere. I, too, played the game again to see if it was better once I knew where everything was and what to expect and had adapted to the controls. On my second run thru I had less freezes, still a ton of fall thru floor glitches, slowdowns, instead of 114 ammo for Kurt I had 77.....bad glitches, good glitches......but every freaking where a glitch. Unacceptable! Need for constant saving aside....I found that the game was dull, dull, dull! There really isn't anything in the storyline that made me care about Lara and certainly not Kurtis. Kurtis was a waste! He looked funny and looked like he would smell funny :D You could open some things but not others, move some things but not others......how about a completely interactive environment. It's 2003 and folk are bragging about great graphics and great advances.......but there are no toys, no vehicles, no ropes, none of that old Tomb Raider sense of something new and adventerous. And when this is said out loud people get offended that others liked the old ways.....well, just what are we supposed to compare TR:AoD with if not old TRs....and it comes up severely lacking IMO. As for the controls, on my second time around, yes I used R3 more, in fact all the time, I had to swing the camera continuously and it didn't always follow, irregardless of popular belief. I don't like analog! Get it? I don't like it. Why should I have to have it crammed down my throat. It's 2003 and all these supposed new advancements and I don't have the option to choose.? C'mon now....how lame is that? Tell the truth.....how can there be options in older engines and not in this one. I did adapt to the controls and learn to use them....I made it thru the game twice....but I didn't like it and I still found the controls to be counter intuitive at times to what the game expected you to do! Graphics wise-only Lara looked great-but T&A isn't the reason I bought the game. The rest of the graphics-nothing blew me away. The music was nice.

In the end it's just a game and now I know to look before I leap before the next one so I won't get my feelings hurt. But AoD was a painful experience on many levels for me......basically if it were any other game it'd had found it's way back to the shop on June 21th but I stuck it out because I love Lara and Tomb Raider but I won't be played for a sucker by Eidos/Core again. Trust me on that. If you loved it and want to hand over your money and convince yourself it's so wonderful and great....have a happy! I'm not mad at you or trying to argue with you. I'm just not feeling the game! Also I am not the type of person to follow the masses....I can think for myself. Many people love Britney Spears over Aretha Franklin, some may even be convinced that Britney's a better singer. So to me just because everyone else likes something doesn't mean I have to!

moe888uk
14th Jul 2003, 13:28
BKBaby:I really feel bad for you BK. You really seem frustrated. I think you should just stop playin the game. No one should have to do what they dont want to, twice. Get another game or do something more productive rather than doing something you dont like. If you hated the game so much, I think you should forget about TR for a while coz from what Ive read, they're not gona make major changes to how the game plays for the second part.

Rebel: I very much liked the controls the first time round(finished the game last night, the end bosses sucked), but some of the moves are being missed badly. At least we got the sprint+jump move from this one, its like she flies. Agree once you are ok with the controls you can like the game more.

BkBaby999
14th Jul 2003, 13:34
do something more productive

I just played it again to see if I could get the dual pistols.....and what a travesty that turned out to be.....a useless left pistol dangling in Lara's hand for a hot minute! Trust me I'm thru with it and putting it on the shelf-it really was a waste of my time. Now I am doing something more fun and productive like cleaning, and packing, getting ready to move. :D Having a great time I must say!

Lucifer666
14th Jul 2003, 13:35
Personally I hate what they have done to the Tombraider game - the poor performance of lara - she runs slower now - she is less able,she's not as smooth - no rolling bolders for a reason - I don't think she'd actually be able to run and dive out the way!! - and please - the power ups are badly done.

Many many other things!

The controls haven't bothered me at all - other than the odd bugs in the controls of course!

susan
14th Jul 2003, 13:54
Originally posted by BkBaby999
well I'll tell you exactly what my issue is with Aod. I can't put the bugs and glitches aside because they ruined the continuity of play and the immersion factor. On my PS2 they were everywhere. I, too, played the game again to see if it was better once I knew where everything was and what to expect and had adapted to the controls. On my second run thru I had less freezes, still a ton of fall thru floor glitches, slowdowns, instead of 114 ammo for Kurt I had 77.....bad glitches, good glitches......but every freaking where a glitch. Unacceptable! Need for constant saving aside....I found that the game was dull, dull, dull! There really isn't anything in the storyline that made me care about Lara and certainly not Kurtis. Kurtis was a waste! He looked funny and looked like he would smell funny :D You could open some things but not others, move some things but not others......how about a completely interactive environment. It's 2003 and folk are bragging about great graphics and great advances.......but there are no toys, no vehicles, no ropes, none of that old Tomb Raider sense of something new and adventerous. And when this is said out loud people get offended that others liked the old ways.....well, just what are we supposed to compare TR:AoD with if not old TRs....and it comes up severely lacking IMO. As for the controls, on my second time around, yes I used R3 more, in fact all the time, I had to swing the camera continuously and it didn't always follow, irregardless of popular belief. I don't like analog! Get it? I don't like it. Why should I have to have it crammed down my throat. It's 2003 and all these supposed new advancements and I don't have the option to choose.? C'mon now....how lame is that? Tell the truth.....how can there be options in older engines and not in this one. I did adapt to the controls and learn to use them....I made it thru the game twice....but I didn't like it and I still found the controls to be counter intuitive at times to what the game expected you to do! Graphics wise-only Lara looked great-but T&A isn't the reason I bought the game. The rest of the graphics-nothing blew me away. The music was nice.

In the end it's just a game and now I know to look before I leap before the next one so I won't get my feelings hurt. But AoD was a painful experience on many levels for me......basically if it were any other game it'd had found it's way back to the shop on June 21th but I stuck it out because I love Lara and Tomb Raider but I won't be played for a sucker by Eidos/Core again. Trust me on that. If you loved it and want to hand over your money and convince yourself it's so wonderful and great....have a happy! I'm not mad at you or trying to argue with you. I'm just not feeling the game! Also I am not the type of person to follow the masses....I can think for myself. Many people love Britney Spears over Aretha Franklin, some may even be convinced that Britney's a better singer. So to me just because everyone else likes something doesn't mean I have to!

*Applause*

I just don't get it - why doesn't everyone feel this way?? What are they seeing that we ain't? :confused: :confused:

Mind you, I don't entirely agree with you on everything - I love Britney (yep, I do) as well as Aretha...their music has different times, places and moods ;)

RebeL_fARmeR
14th Jul 2003, 13:56
Personally I didn't encounter many bugs on the PC appart from graphical glitches and the 2-bullets-fired-at-a-time bug, therefore I can just ignore them and judge the game in other ways.

All this negative talk towards AOD, I appreciate what EVERYONE thinks of the game... but it seems that whenever I pick up on a negative point a forum member who will remain nameless has a go at me for it!!!

"Oh, trashing the game again? typical of Rf"

I'M STATING MY PERSONAL OPPINION! NOBODY ELSE GETS PERSONALLY CRITICISED FOR SAYING NEGATIVE STUFF, WHY ME?

I'd be getting my legs sawed off if I said any of the above and a certain somebody read it... :mad:

BkBaby999
14th Jul 2003, 13:59
lol @ Susan.....I don't know what they see. I know the last game I played was 007 Agent Under Fire. I hated the analog controls......and I really never liked any 007 game but for $20 it was just right. For $20 AoD would've been just right!!

PS not to say I don't listen to Britney music.....but just because millions of teenagers think she's the 2nd coming of Janet Jackson doesn't make it so....that's all ;) (some of us know who that crown belonged to :( )

BkBaby999
14th Jul 2003, 14:04
"Oh, trashing the game again? typical of Rf"
well rebel don't you know!!! (I personally thought you had said something good about the game.....my English must be rusty.....oh wait it's my primary language
:D )


I'M STATING MY PERSONAL OPPINION! NOBODY ELSE GETS PERSONALLY CRITICISED FOR SAYING NEGATIVE STUFF, WHY ME?

other than being told I'm frustrated, must be on the rag, and I should shut up because I complain too much.......naw, can't relate dude ;) shoot I could go to work for this abuse ya know!

GoranAgar
14th Jul 2003, 14:06
Originally posted by Susan
I love Britney (yep, I do) as well as Aretha...their music has different times, places and moods ;)
I don't really like either.

And I wouldn't really feel the urge to express how little I like them. Maybe if I had to listen to a whole album I'd express my dislike once. But I am pretty sure I wouldn't start arguing with anyone about it.

Long live Aretha and Britney. ;)

LARAMANIAC
14th Jul 2003, 14:07
WOW BK!!! This game has really got you worked up!! I agree I think you should just pack it away and forget about it. I have thought, until now, that the majority of people with glitches and bugs must have been playing on pc, as I'm playing on PS2, like you, and have experienced hardly any problems, it seems not though. The analogue thing, I agree, I wasn't pleased at having the analogue procedure stuffed down my throat in the first place, but I've gotten used to it, I still have major line-up probs with running and jumping at the same time, but this seems to be down to the fact that the old controller system is permanently imprinted on my brain, and I insist on pressing the wrong buttons. I will not be beaten, or put off by controllers. I empathise its a shame that this game has put you off Tomb Raider, and I find that sad. But I still have to say that overall I'm enjoying AOD, it feels like a new beginning, a beginning that will be exploited further in future installments. I do agree that the exploration, puzzles and the general wow factor that was TR is subdued this time around, but I have a feeling it will be back. Please note I said subdued and not missing altogether! I'm still enjoying it, I'm no sheep either, if I like something I like it for myself not because everyone else says I should. Hell I love Bon Jovi.........................when most rockers consider them nothing more than a 'hair' band!!!!!!! :p Just to use your music analogy!!!!! ;) I'm sorry you've had such a bad time with AOD, really I am!!! :(

owen10
14th Jul 2003, 14:08
I think disliking the game is largely dependent on understanding and being able to intuitively use the controls. If you can't, your entire experience will be tainted from beginning to end. They're less intuitive than before by a long way, but on PS2 they become manageable after a bit of effort (not what you're really after, mind).

I played the first level through again myself the other day, and had no problems. It's actually one of the better levels in the game, aside from the obvious choices (Hall of Seasons, Tomb of Ancients).

I tend to agree with what people are beginning to say about the controls; they are ultimately restricting and glitchy. Lara isn't as smooth and able as she once was, and her actions cannot be as intuitively linked as before. There's no shooting while jumping, no twisting somersault, no drawing guns while rolling. The system seems less versatile, such that combat often employs very little skill at all. When it does (Boaz) it's tiring and difficult, due to the inadequacies and absences of moves present in previous games. There are some improvements though, notably the last chance grab and being able to climb out of vents without having to face the opposite direction.

However, the level design is probably my biggest grate. Too many environments are small and linear, removing the exploratory action of previous TRs. Kurtis' section is tiring and dull, thanks to a series of identikit corridors and uninteresting combat. Chronicles seems to share much in common with AoD, and it's not surprising that close to this it's probably the worst in the series so far.

However, I did have a lot of fun with AoD and see a lot of room for improvement. My game only ever crashed in the Serpent Rouge bit (and I've played past that part twice now) and glitches were minimal and not overly horrendous.

GoranAgar
14th Jul 2003, 14:16
BTW, I played TR:AOD on a PS2 yesterday. You all have my sympathies. LOL, I was so useless and I have thrown the controller away before I reached the roof in the training level. I guess it is a matter of getting used to one way or another. I might be too old for the PS2 way.

Did anyone play Indiana Jones on the PC? We are so lucky with our PC controls.

Lucifer666
14th Jul 2003, 14:22
Originally posted by RebeL_fARmeR
Personally I didn't encounter many bugs on the PC appart from graphical glitches and the 2-bullets-fired-at-a-time bug, therefore I can just ignore them and judge the game in other ways.

All this negative talk towards AOD, I appreciate what EVERYONE thinks of the game... but it seems that whenever I pick up on a negative point a forum member who will remain nameless has a go at me for it!!!

"Oh, trashing the game again? typical of Rf"

I'M STATING MY PERSONAL OPPINION! NOBODY ELSE GETS PERSONALLY CRITICISED FOR SAYING NEGATIVE STUFF, WHY ME?

I'd be getting my legs sawed off if I said any of the above and a certain somebody read it... :mad:

I get personally criticised too!!!!!!

I have proof too!

BkBaby999
14th Jul 2003, 14:25
And I wouldn't really feel the urge to express how little I like them. Maybe if I had to listen to a whole album I'd express my dislike once. But I am pretty sure I wouldn't start arguing with anyone about it.

maybe if you likened it to your favorite artist has put out 5 albums and you have them all and you eagerly await their next album.....and when it comes out it's in a genre completely alien like say if it's techno or rock and now it's country or hip hop, and it doesn't really work for them.....that you wouldn't have a huge WTF? moment. And then some people try to tell you that since it's so and so you should still buy it and love it and support it. And try to say that because you don't like it you must have PMS?!?

I'm not arguing with anyone over the game. The game is what it is to whomever and like I've said over and over again is I'm happy for those who like it. So what IMO it's not all that. I can live with that too. I gave it a good honest fair chance because it's Tomb Raider and based my decision on my experiences.

What I really don't like though is 2 things....that people have the nerve to think they can tell other people what to think or do or say....regardless of whether it's a "public" or "private" forum...it doesn't belong to anyone but Eidos...so if EIDOS has a problem with what I'm saying then they have the right to give me the boot and no other. And I don't appreciate being spoken down to for standing up for myself and expressing myself.....and it only makes me (unfortunately that's one of my weaknesses) less likely to shut up. I don't like that at all.

like Christina Aguilera said
"so what am I not supposed to have an opinion
should I keep quiet just because I'm a woman
call me a b**** cause I speak what's on my mind
guess it's easier for you to swallow if I sat and smiled"
sorry folk, that's my theme song for life....I speaks my mind and my heart, and don't bite my tongue.

owen10
14th Jul 2003, 14:27
Nevermind. (Edited)

BkBaby999
14th Jul 2003, 14:28
You all have my sympathies

finally some sympathy ;) we could almost be at the group hug stage now!

susan
14th Jul 2003, 14:32
Originally posted by GoranAgar
I don't really like either.

And I wouldn't really feel the urge to express how little I like them. Maybe if I had to listen to a whole album I'd express my dislike once. But I am pretty sure I wouldn't start arguing with anyone about it.

Long live Aretha and Britney. ;)

It's just disappointment after so looking forward to AoD... But, I didn't realise I was starting arguments...Sorry, if anyone feels I am.

Long live AoD *cough* ;):D ...and Janet Jackson :) :D

LARAMANIAC
14th Jul 2003, 14:33
Agreed!!!!!!!! :D

GoranAgar
14th Jul 2003, 14:34
Originally posted by BkBaby999
maybe if you likened it to your favorite artist has put out 5 albums and you have them all and you eagerly await their next album.....and when it comes out it's in a genre completely alien like say if it's techno or rock and now it's country or hip hop, and it doesn't really work for them.....that you wouldn't have a huge WTF? moment.
Been there, suffered that.

Have you in all your rage noticed that it is for example me who stfu most of the times? Have you? You know very well what my thoughts about the game are because I stated them once or twice. But I am not argueing about it? Can I say that? Am I free to say that? I was just talking about me. That is all.

Lucifer666
14th Jul 2003, 14:34
Originally posted by BkBaby999
maybe if you likened it to your favorite artist has put out 5 albums and you have them all and you eagerly await their next album.....and when it comes out it's in a genre completely alien like say if it's techno or rock and now it's country or hip hop, and it doesn't really work for them.....that you wouldn't have a huge WTF? moment. And then some people try to tell you that since it's so and so you should still buy it and love it and support it. And try to say that because you don't like it you must have PMS?!?

What I really don't like though is 2 things....that people have the nerve to think they can tell other people what to think or do or say....regardless of whether it's a "public" or "private" forum...it doesn't belong to anyone but Eidos...so if EIDOS has a problem with what I'm saying then they have the right to give me the boot and no other. And I don't appreciate being spoken down to for standing up for myself and expressing myself.....and it only makes me (unfortunately that's one of my weaknesses) less likely to shut up. I don't like that at all.


GnR did that with a album then disappeared!

And the second thing - fair play - somepeople must surely think that others are less importaint than them and don't deserve a opinion......

LARAMANIAC
14th Jul 2003, 14:35
My agreement was for the group hug - Susan snuck her answer in just before mine - LMAO!!!! :D

GoranAgar
14th Jul 2003, 14:35
THE PC VERSION OF AOD ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:p

Lucifer666
14th Jul 2003, 14:36
Originally posted by Susan
It's just disappointment after so looking forward to AoD... But, I didn't realise I was starting arguments...Sorry, if anyone feels I am.

Long live AoD *cough* ;):D ...and Janet Jackson :) :D

Here here - just not the part about Janet Jackson.!!!!!

Lucifer666
14th Jul 2003, 14:38
Originally posted by GoranAgar
THE PC VERSION OF AOD ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:p

Then falls apart and crashes.

Just like a badly tuned engine (Unless it's a verywell tuned V - but it's not!)

LARAMANIAC
14th Jul 2003, 14:38
One word for you Goran - but I will not say it here!!! :D:p

GoranAgar
14th Jul 2003, 14:39
Originally posted by LARAMANIAC
One word for you Goran - but I will not say it here!!! :D:p
PM me! :D

BkBaby999
14th Jul 2003, 14:40
Have you in all your rage noticed that it is for example me who stfu most of the times? Have you?

have you noticed that I never asked you to stfu, darling. So you just come right over here to the group hug......obviously some of us here can agree to disagree without geting all personal or hateful. :D

I'm not mad or bitter....I'm just saying as I saw it, don't hate on lil ole bkbaby no mo!

LARAMANIAC
14th Jul 2003, 14:42
THIS is exactly what I dont understand!!!! How can two people playing on the same medium - pc - have two such total opposite reactions to a game????????? Is this down to hardware or what??????? :eek: :confused:

Goran - mail!! :p

GoranAgar
14th Jul 2003, 14:45
Originally posted by BkBaby999
So you just come right over here to the group hug.....
http://home.t-online.de/home/plasma1/load/party43.gif

:D

(Is there a group hug smiley???)

moe888uk
14th Jul 2003, 14:45
BKBaby:I see you havent gotten over 'that time of the month' joke. It was a joke. I even made smiley faces. Maybe you are just on the 'good stuff' again. :D Look a smiley face. Its a joke. I dont mean that you take drugs.

Lucifer666
14th Jul 2003, 14:46
Originally posted by LARAMANIAC
THIS is exactly what I dont understand!!!! How can two people playing on the same medium - pc - have two such total opposite reactions to a game????????? Is this down to hardware or what??????? :eek: :confused:

Goran - mail!! :p

Isn't that what opinion is about? - some are different?

No problems with my hardware - I wouldn't allow it...!!!!

My little fella works every time - ahem...!!;)

Hey Mod, who do you work for - is it core/edios?

BkBaby999
14th Jul 2003, 14:47
you're the mod you should know....if not you should go make one right now!!!!

(ps I know where to find one tho if you need help)

BkBaby999
14th Jul 2003, 14:50
these questions are for the ladies!

1) any lady here find a "time of the month" joke funny?

2) any lady here impressed by a man who calls his hardware lil fella

no men need answer these questions!;)

GoranAgar
14th Jul 2003, 14:52
I don't work for either of them. I am doing this mod thing as a contribution to this fine community.

BkBaby999, post it. When it comes to group hug smileys I indeed need help.

LARAMANIAC
14th Jul 2003, 14:55
*LM passes Goran a http://pages.prodigy.net/rogerlori1/emoticons/grouphug.gif

Lucifer666
14th Jul 2003, 14:59
Originally posted by BkBaby999
these questions are for the ladies!

1) any lady here find a "time of the month" joke funny?

2) any lady here impressed by a man who calls his hardware lil fella

no men need answer these questions!;)

You don't have a name for your PC?

I bet you have a name for your car!!!!!

Lucifer666
14th Jul 2003, 15:01
Originally posted by GoranAgar
I don't work for either of them. I am doing this mod thing as a contribution to this fine community.

BkBaby999, post it. When it comes to group hug smileys I indeed need help.

But you must have some affilation with the company - this is after all their site - right?

susan
14th Jul 2003, 15:01
Originally posted by BkBaby999
1) any lady here find a "time of the month" joke funny? Err, yeah...when I was a bloke in a previous life :rolleyes:

And, before any man says it....it's NOT my time of the month :mad: :rolleyes: !!!!

LARAMANIAC
14th Jul 2003, 15:01
Originally posted by Lucifer666
Isn't that what opinion is about? - some are different?

No problems with my hardware - I wouldn't allow it...!!!!

My little fella works every time - ahem...!!;)

Hey Mod, who do you work for - is it core/edios?

Opinions differings - yes!!! But you claim to have had nothing but problems with AOD, glitches, bugs, crashes the whole shibang!! Whereas Goran seems to be have a pleasurable experience with his copy! What I actually meant was, how can two users have such different experiences in that way???? :eek: :confused:

Time of the month jokes most definitely are not funny.

BkBaby999
14th Jul 2003, 15:01
I was just coming back with my http://pages.prodigy.net/rogerlori1/emoticons/grouphug.gif but I see I got beat to the punch :D

"what the world needs now is love, sweet love" you need more love smilies here maybe then we could all be happy, happy, happy.....although a certain smiley's about to get a Lara roundhouse special!

BkBaby999
14th Jul 2003, 15:06
I bet you have a name for your car!!!!!
I'm a gal.....of course I don't name my car.

thank you ladies! Just wanted to make sure that my humor was still intact!:rolleyes: Usually I'm a funny gal.

Lucifer666
14th Jul 2003, 15:07
Originally posted by LARAMANIAC
Opinions differings - yes!!! But you claim to have had nothing but problems with AOD, glitches, bugs, crashes the whole shibang!! Whereas Goran seems to be have a pleasurable experience with his copy! What I actually meant was, how can two users have such different experiences in that way???? :eek: :confused:

Time of the month jokes most definitely are not funny.

Hey I never mad any time of the month jokes - Learnt years ago from the wife on that one!

I don't know they could be fundamentaly different - does he use a US one? - Is it different?

All hardware that I use is DX8.1 and 9 compliant - that should do it - thats how it works!

I wouldn't say "nothing but problems" either but I generally get very annoyed when I have spent good money of a game that is not really suitable for retail.

As per forum "If it was a car" - you would take a car back if it broke down right? - or the breaks failed - or you could occasionally see through the floor??

It's just really really sloppy and I don't like it!:mad:

But hey - wouldn't it be boring if we all felt the same way????;)

moe888uk
14th Jul 2003, 15:07
LM: that hug looks very nice. well done.

Bk: Sorry sorry, I think i apologised before as well, if its not the time of the month, then whats this rage and agression all about.

Lucifer666
14th Jul 2003, 15:10
Originally posted by BkBaby999
I'm a gal.....of course I don't name my car.

thank you ladies! Just wanted to make sure that my humor was still intact!:rolleyes: Usually I'm a funny gal.

Don't name your car - indeed!:confused:

One of a few - most females I know do. . . .

It helps you love and talk to them. . . .

susan
14th Jul 2003, 15:14
Originally posted by Lucifer666
But hey - wouldn't it be boring if we all felt the same way????;)

Agreed. So what if you don't agree with everyone else, who wants to be a clone/robot/drone? Nobody, I hope. :)

GoranAgar
14th Jul 2003, 15:17
Originally posted by LARAMANIAC
Opinions differings - yes!!! But you claim to have had nothing but problems with AOD, glitches, bugs, crashes the whole shibang!! Whereas Goran seems to be have a pleasurable experience with his copy! What I actually meant was, how can two users have such different experiences in that way???? :eek: :confused:
There are a million possible configurations for PC's. The combination of hardware, OS and driver can make all the difference.

Of course I have some of the bugs mentioned. But I don't have any crashes. And for an application running on a Windows system, what more can you ask for? :D

What I don't understand it people who say it is not Tomb Raider anymore, it doesn't feel like TR anymore. When you have arrows shooting out of the wall like in TR1, what more Tomb Raider feeling do you want?

The beautiful level and Lara design and the little quotes from the older Tomb Raider games make it a wonderful game (to me).

Lucifer666
14th Jul 2003, 15:21
Originally posted by GoranAgar
There are a million possible configurations for PC's. The combination of hardware, OS and driver can make all the difference.

Of course I have some of the bugs mentioned. But I don't have any crashes. And for an application running on a Windows system, what more can you ask for? :D

What I don't understand it people who say it is not Tomb Raider anymore, it doesn't feel like TR anymore. When you have arrows shooting out of the wall like in TR1, what more Tomb Raider feeling do you want?

The beautiful level and Lara design and the little quotes from the older Tomb Raider games make it a wonderful game (to me).

Bugs - many - crashes - many - on XP - I know may have something to do with it but hey XP is older than the game - this should have been sorted if it is a factor.

Also as long as your PC is DirectX compliant and the game is - should all work without a problem and virtually the same on all PC's - thats the reason for DirectX right? - a Platform for games programers make their games with...........

As for feeling like tombraider - WHere is my:-
T-REX
Waterfall
Mountain tops
Jungle
T-REX

(There are others - I just can't summon the power to type it yet again!):rolleyes:

GoranAgar
14th Jul 2003, 15:25
T-Rex?
Waterfall?
Mountain tops?
Jungle?

Not again. We had that before. How boring. ;)

moe888uk
14th Jul 2003, 15:26
It does feel like a tomb raider, but the game has evolved for the better. The next installment will be even better with the technology already in place. Long live TR.

Lucifer666
14th Jul 2003, 15:28
Originally posted by GoranAgar
T-Rex?
Waterfall?
Mountain tops?
Jungle?

Not again. We had that before. How boring. ;)

You telling it didn't do it for you before?????

And with now the capabilities of the hardware and software (Well most software!)

It could be done soooo much better and really get ya. . . .

GoranAgar
14th Jul 2003, 15:29
Originally posted by Lucifer666
Also as long as your PC is DirectX compliant and the game is - should all work without a problem and virtually the same on all PC's - thats the reason for DirectX right? - a Platform for games programers make their games with...........

Correct. Should. But then you have lame companies like Creative Labs who don't release drivers for my Soundblaster Audigy1 (bought a year ago) that supports EAX for DX9 on WinME. Who is to blame?

LARAMANIAC
14th Jul 2003, 15:30
My feelings exactly moe888uk!!! :D

GoranAgar
14th Jul 2003, 15:36
Originally posted by Lucifer666
You telling it didn't do it for you before?????

And with now the capabilities of the hardware and software (Well most software!)

It could be done soooo much better and really get ya. . . .
I don't have a problem with another T-Rex. But I bet a lot of people would complain about of lack of creativity or imagination if the game had a T-Rex again.

BkBaby999
14th Jul 2003, 16:16
Bk: Sorry sorry, I think i apologised before as well, if its not the time of the month, then whats this rage and agression all about.

apology accepted!

ps I rage and aggress because the game is horrendous and not for any other reason. you only need to take it personal if you're the one who personally made the game.

well did ya? because if so I have some more choice words for ya! If not we are all hugging and moving on!


Don't name your car - indeedOne of a few - most females I know do. . . . It helps you love and talk to them. . . .
ok, does damn POS rustbucket count as a name :D cuz I know a lot of guys who call their car the same thing...........
no, I love my car but I don't talk to it or name it....too busy yelling at other drivers and flipping the finga, I guess, letting out all my rage and aggression! ;)

*breathe* hugging and moving on, hugging and moving on, hugging and moving on

BkBaby999
14th Jul 2003, 16:19
I don't have a problem with another T-Rex. But I bet a lot of people would complain about of lack of creativity or imagination if the game had a T-Rex again.

wait isn't the rumor that there's gonna be a T-REX in the next game........:confused: should I just start complaining now then.....before I see it :p

I just want my flip and shoot and some controller options and some ropes please!

Mangar The Dark
14th Jul 2003, 16:39
Originally posted by GoranAgar
I don't have a problem with another T-Rex. But I bet a lot of people would complain about of lack of creativity or imagination if the game had a T-Rex again.

Agreed.
The first time we saw the T-Rex in Lost Valley, the reaction was "Holy #!@%! That's a T-REX!" Then when we saw dinosaurs in TR3, it was like, "Oh, cool, dinosaurs! Kind of like in the first game... again." I think my reaction upon seeing more dinosaurs at this point would just be, "Ah, okay. I guess Core figured they'd fall back on this crowd-pleaser."

On the other hand, watching a T-Rex stomp through ghettos of Paris may have been mildly amusing.

(btw- the next TR game will be called, "Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The T-Rex Strikes Back." Remember, you heard it here first.)

Mike89
14th Jul 2003, 16:54
50 bucks just doesn't seem to mean that much to some people these days.

I don't know about some of you guys but when I spend $50 on a game, I have certain expectations. I'm basically spending $50 for an experience.

I'm quite amazed to see the number of people in this forum steadfastly defending this game. I don't know how you guys do it and what your standards are.

Frankly, there just isn't much to defend. If Eidos comes to the conclusion from listening to the defenders, they will continue to produce this kind of quality. This game doesn't just need a patch, it needs a complete overhaul from the ground up. Only if that happens will any future Tombraider games come up to the quality that the game should have had in the first place. Eidos is happily taking our money and will continue to take more at our expense if we continue to let them.

The game has some good points, (good story line, good graphics) but has many more bad points that just should not be there. I don't except those bad points and never will when it's my money I'm spending.

Lucifer666
14th Jul 2003, 16:57
Originally posted by GoranAgar
I don't have a problem with another T-Rex. But I bet a lot of people would complain about of lack of creativity or imagination if the game had a T-Rex again.

It has been the only really really intimidating monster in my mind - The words "bloody hell a T-REX" were soon to emerge.....

Even if not then - something better.

Something more scarey - haven't found on in this game - even the boss monsters only rated a "here we go again".....

And what about my waterfalls and mountain?:confused:

Lucifer666
14th Jul 2003, 17:01
Originally posted by Mike89
50 bucks just doesn't seem to mean that much to some people these days.

I don't know about some of you guys but when I spend $50 on a game, I have certain expectations. I'm basically spending $50 for an experience.

I'm quite amazed to see the number of people in this forum steadfastly defending this game. I don't know how you guys do it and what your standards are.

Frankly, there just isn't much to defend. If Eidos comes to the conclusion from listening to the defenders, they will continue to produce this kind of quality. This game doesn't just need a patch, it needs a complete overhaul from the ground up. Only if that happens will any future Tombraider games come up to the quality that the game should have had in the first place. Eidos is happily taking our money and will continue to take more at our expense if we continue to let them.

The game has some good points, (good story line, good graphics) but has many more bad points that just should not be there. I don't except those bad points and never will when it's my money I'm spending.

Hear Hear.

A valid good point for it to be deemed good is NOT "It's called tombraider" or "It's got lara in it" or "she looks sooo much better she wiggles! - if you wanna watch that sort of stuff and that is importaint for you in a game - go buy virtual valerie 2 or something!!!!!

If this is truely the engine for the next one I think we're in trouble!!!!!

owen10
14th Jul 2003, 17:02
Originally posted by Mike89

I'm quite amazed to see the number of people in this forum steadfastly defending this game. I don't know how you guys do it and what your standards are.

....

The game has some good points, (good story line, good graphics) but has many more bad points that just should not be there. I don't except those bad points and never will when it's my money I'm spending.
The people “defending” the game are largely those trying to state its good points in a sea of negativity, in a "half full glass" sort of way. The game certainly deserves the criticism it has received, but the positives should be noted so that future instalments can evolve. We're allowed to talk about both, y'know.

Lucifer666
14th Jul 2003, 17:03
Originally posted by Mangar The Dark
Agreed.
The first time we saw the T-Rex in Lost Valley, the reaction was "Holy #!@%! That's a T-REX!" Then when we saw dinosaurs in TR3, it was like, "Oh, cool, dinosaurs! Kind of like in the first game... again." I think my reaction upon seeing more dinosaurs at this point would just be, "Ah, okay. I guess Core figured they'd fall back on this crowd-pleaser."

On the other hand, watching a T-Rex stomp through ghettos of Paris may have been mildly amusing.

(btw- the next TR game will be called, "Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The T-Rex Strikes Back." Remember, you heard it here first.)

I'd buy it - tis gotta be better than a game I played recently!!!!

Lucifer666
14th Jul 2003, 17:08
Originally posted by GoranAgar
Correct. Should. But then you have lame companies like Creative Labs who don't release drivers for my Soundblaster Audigy1 (bought a year ago) that supports EAX for DX9 on WinME. Who is to blame?

Hey write to Creative or leave a fowl message on a forum of theirs - dodgy hardware!

Didn't you know the ME part of Win ME stand for MAY ERROR or Marginal Effort! - Hence it didn't last long.......

Be honest your not actually using WinME?

LARAMANIAC
14th Jul 2003, 18:31
This..............................


Originally posted by Lucifer666
Hear Hear.

A valid good point for it to be deemed good is NOT "It's called tombraider" or "It's got lara in it" or "she looks sooo much better she wiggles! - if you wanna watch that sort of stuff and that is importaint for you in a game - go buy virtual valerie 2 or something!!!!!

If this is truely the engine for the next one I think we're in trouble!!!!!

from the man who also wrote this................


Originally posted by Lucifer666
I would say:-

Lara wearing nothing.

Would sell games - hell it would sell anything.........

So??? Which is it to be??? :rolleyes: :p

Clyde
14th Jul 2003, 18:39
Unfortunately I never got the opportunity to even try the game. Purchased it and it would not install on my computer or some reason which installs every other program I've ever put into it. So I took it back thinking maybe it was a faulty disk, got a new one, same thing. Tech support seemed to think it was a faulty disk also (both) since I even bought a new cd rw and tried using that to install (what the heck I needed one anway heh) but it would not install so I just took it back and was able to get my money refunded. I always enjoyed the Tombraider series, probably one of the first 3D games I played and enjoyed the puzzle solving aspects. Maybe somewhere down the road will try again but at 50 bucks a pop I think I'll be watching the forums and looking for patches. SO far I've not found anyone else on the forums that has had this issue (better search again today tho its been awhile) so anyway glad to hear someones enjoying the game!

Lucifer666
14th Jul 2003, 18:40
Originally posted by LARAMANIAC
This..............................



from the man who also wrote this................



So??? Which is it to be??? :rolleyes: :p

Took you a while to find that one - I must admit I was waiting for it after reading your point in that thread.........

Do you not think it would sell anything???

I recon it'll probably sell cars. "Hey it did Landrovers!"

And no I didn't do the nude patch in the earlier versions.

Hey I didn't buy the game for jiggling boobs - was for the mountains, the waterfalls and the T-REX (WHICH IS MISSING!).:mad:

I would prefere her how she was in TR3 - as I think I've already said - there is no graphics that can subsitute for poor game play!!! - but if she knocked on my door asking for a cup of sugar, well I would be no longer married!!!!!;)

moe888uk
14th Jul 2003, 18:50
I think T-Rexes are scary too. But the AOD woulda been too soon for yet another T-Rex. On the other hand, mountains and jungles are as fun as tombs. Great environments for adventures.

I hope they make more non-city areas in part 2.

Lone Raider
14th Jul 2003, 19:08
hey Rebel_fARmeR,
glad to see you´re enjoying it finally!!
I started playing the game twice , first time got to the Serpent Rouge via Pierre, then via Bernard just cause I was nosy about him, and thats exactly what happened to me:)
by the way, I totally love your Lara toons :))

LARAMANIAC
14th Jul 2003, 19:15
Originally posted by Lucifer666
Took you a while to find that one - I must admit I was waiting for it after reading your point in that thread.........

Do you not think it would sell anything???

I recon it'll probably sell cars. "Hey it did Landrovers!"

And no I didn't do the nude patch in the earlier versions.

Hey I didn't buy the game for jiggling boobs - was for the mountains, the waterfalls and the T-REX (WHICH IS MISSING!).:mad:

I would prefere her how she was in TR3 - as I think I've already said - there is no graphics that can subsitute for poor game play!!! - but if she knocked on my door asking for a cup of sugar, well I would be no longer married!!!!!;)

LMAO - busted!!!!!! :D The last bit is the bit I don't understand, Lara is a pixelated game character, why would you consider leaving your wife for her???? :eek: :D This is my whole point, its a game!!!!! :p Much as I love Tomb Raider, which boy do I, this is not a life-threatening issue, its just a game!!! ;)

Lucifer666
14th Jul 2003, 19:21
Originally posted by LARAMANIAC
LMAO - busted!!!!!! :D The last bit is the bit I don't understand, Lara is a pixelated game character, why would you consider leaving your wife for her???? :eek: :D This is my whole point, its a game!!!!! :p Much as I love Tomb Raider, which boy do I, this is not a life-threatening issue, its just a game!!! ;)

If Angelina Jolie knocked on my door - I'd go......

So would most men on the face of the earth!!!!!

Lone Raider
14th Jul 2003, 19:28
hmmm. so would I ... and I´m a gurrrll :cool:

LARAMANIAC
14th Jul 2003, 19:29
Fickle creatures, thats what most of you men are!! :p

LARAMANIAC
14th Jul 2003, 19:31
Originally posted by Lone Raider
hmmm. so would I ... and I´m a gurrrll :cool:

Whatever floats your boat dear!!!! ;)

triprocket
14th Jul 2003, 21:02
It does feel like a tomb raider, but the game has evolved for the better. The next installment will be even better with the technology already in place. Long live TR.


why dont the just kill lara and give KT the show and change the name?



where are the dinosaurs?

LARAMANIAC
14th Jul 2003, 21:39
*siiiiiiiiiiiigh :rolleyes:

BkBaby999
14th Jul 2003, 22:07
I'm playing Tomb Raider, the original, right now. Lara looks so small, there are pointy boobs, and my fingers are all screwy from AoD but guess what folk-the graphics are cheesy, the controls are taking some getting used to, there are very very minor textural glitches and I'm being attacked by bats and wolves-I'm so happy happy happy!!! I have dual pistols, I have uncomplicated health, I step back when I press back, and forward when I hit forward, and I can flip and shoot at the same time. There's no people about chattering in my ear. I am home! (and I went for a run in the mansion too and a dip in the pool) Me and old happy Lara are gonna go play now and you all can keep new millenium 38 year old Lara-I think she's hitting menopause as I'm sure some people who like to worry about womanly functions would say :D (I put Mr Smily here to show there are no hard feelings and that I am HAPPY)

PS I would not let Angelina Jolie in my place....1st off she's one crazy wench! And women don't float my boat anyway :D (happy happy face, oh so happy)

Ta ta....off tombraiding I shall go......

tomb_raiding
15th Jul 2003, 00:48
I'M GLAD THERE R SO MANY PEOPLE WHO LOVE AOD

i JUST LOVE THIS gAME

tomb_raiding
15th Jul 2003, 00:53
I'm Glad u r happy BK

Scavenger
15th Jul 2003, 03:37
Originally posted by BkBaby999
I'm playing Tomb Raider, the original, right now. Lara looks so small, there are pointy boobs, and my fingers are all screwy from AoD but guess what folk-the graphics are cheesy, the controls are taking some getting used to, there are very very minor textural glitches and I'm being attacked by bats and wolves-I'm so happy happy happy!!! I have dual pistols, I have uncomplicated health, I step back when I press back, and forward when I hit forward, and I can flip and shoot at the same time. There's no people about chattering in my ear. I am home! (and I went for a run in the mansion too and a dip in the pool) Me and old happy Lara are gonna go play now and you all can keep new millenium 38 year old Lara-I think she's hitting menopause as I'm sure some people who like to worry about womanly functions would say :D (I put Mr Smily here to show there are no hard feelings and that I am HAPPY)

PS I would not let Angelina Jolie in my place....1st off she's one crazy wench! And women don't float my boat anyway :D (happy happy face, oh so happy)

Ta ta....off tombraiding I shall go......

Hi BkBaby999

AOD is my first venture into the Tomb Traider series. I was never really interested in the games, until I played this one and thought hmm I kind of like this. I'm thankful that I've not expereinced any of the big major glitches and bugs on my computer that people have been talking about. But now I'm tempted to try one of the older Tomb Raider games and was thinking of trying Last Revelation. Or should I go for one of the older Tomb Raider games?

RebeL_fARmeR
15th Jul 2003, 08:05
Originally posted by Lone Raider
hey Rebel_fARmeR,
glad to see you re enjoying it finally!!
I started playing the game twice , first time got to the Serpent Rouge via Pierre, then via Bernard just cause I was nosy about him, and thats exactly what happened to me:)
by the way, I totally love your Lara toons :))

I was enjoting it until I got to the Serpent Rogue, then I nearly dislocated several fingers as I battle with the control ststem again!!! I know, I know, forgive my moanings. I just can never seem to be able to draw my weapon while doing anything other than standing still or going forwards! The rest of the control system I can handle NO problem... but that... :(

And what happened to my thread??? :D It's all car names and pop stars!!! :confused:

If Angelina Jolie turned up on my doorstep I'd close the door on her and laugh!!! HEHEHE

P.S. Oh yeah! I remember my Lara toonies, a distant memory restored!!!

BkBaby999
16th Jul 2003, 00:48
But now I'm tempted to try one of the older Tomb Raider games and was thinking of trying Last Revelation. Or should I go for one of the older Tomb Raider games?

YES YES YES! by all means you must play the original!! It will look dated but it's still so much fun to play because you just snoop around and wander for hours and you get good frustrated, not bad frustrated, and you get this wicked sense of accomplishment when you figure something out! Then you must play TR2 (I feel like I'm giving a shameless plug but hey....I loved TR and was very happy) to watch how she grows and gets to do new things. TR3 is painful but man, you get through it and you feel like you can do anything (TR3 was when I started getting into the whole cheat idea :D it was so fricking difficult sometimes!!) I love the Last Revelation-gorgeous and you get the sense that Lara is really complete....she almost has everything you like and she's so funny sometimes.....I liked London the best, trying to shoot that.....er, witch who kept hitting at me with her blue light special! I liked Chronicles :D what can I say? I have the Lost Artifact but I couldn't stand trying to play it....I have a laptop but one day when I get a joystick or something I will play it....I thought the whole Loch Ness thing was cool! I loved Lara!!! and had a lot of trust in Eidos/Core. I'm no hardcore gamer at all....I basically like my Final Fantasy (another one about to get screwed up by the Online thing), and Tomb Raider, and some fight things like Mortal Kombat and X-Men/Marvel. I've vaguely tried the neices Resident Evil, Tekken, Spyro, Metal Gear Solid or played demos like Spiderman....I have never met another game series I like. For me to not really care for A0D is huge....I just finished 007 Agent Under Fire last month and hated it but at least there were vehicles, and toys and it was bug-free and I spent $20....so it was worth what I paid. To me Aod is wrong on so many levels that it's sad....but I'm glad you are enjoying it but YES go get the older ones, plus they are a nice price on the PC versions:D

jso2897
16th Jul 2003, 02:08
Well, I just got it a few days ago, but I've had a chance to play it some, and I just haven't had the problems people are reporting. That's been the case with most TR games - I've never seen 90% of the bugs folks are always talking about. My PC is nothing to shout about either - 600mhz Celeron, 7200 Radeon, onboard sound. But I installed DX9, Catalyst suite, tuned everything up before installation, and installed the patch before starting play.
At the very start, it was a little slow, and lara kind of lumbered around, but after the first powerup she started to act normal. Graphics are perfect and beautiful, sound and music great, even in software mode, and I like the controls (of course, I HAVE actually played American McGee's Alice) just fine, thank you.
The game is harder than Chronicles, for me anyway, and I don't want it to be too easy - no fun. I may change my mind later on, but so far I'm happy.
And what's all the sniveling about the weapons? Weapons are weapons. You kill things with them. You get paid. You go home.

And the stealth mode? Yeah, it's dumb. But Lara looks soooo cool doin' it!!:D

gamechik
16th Jul 2003, 03:08
Ah, I love the stealth mode!!! :D It rocks! I sneak up behind as many people as I can and break their freakin' necks... ooooh... yes! yes! yes! [crack] aaaaahhhhh. ;) :D

I haven't run into the problems that most people here seem to be having. I think the graphics are kick ass. I'm enjoying the controls, though they are a bit different and did take some getting used to. I like that it is a bit different than the others, it livens it up and makes it fresh. I'm enjoying the interaction with the characters and the choices of what she should ask or say.

I've only had it for a short time and I haven't played too far into it yet, but I'm looking forward to playing more. :)

jso2897
16th Jul 2003, 03:45
Originally posted by BkBaby999
"I'm playing Tomb Raider, the original, right now. Lara looks so small, there are pointy boobs, and my fingers are all screwy from AoD but guess what folk-the graphics are cheesy, the controls are taking some getting used to, there are very very minor textural glitches and I'm being attacked by bats and wolves-I'm so happy happy happy!!! I have dual pistols, I have uncomplicated health, I step back when I press back, and forward when I hit forward, and I can flip and shoot at the same time. There's no people about chattering in my ear. I am home!"

Have you tried GLIDOS? It allows you to play original TR in 3D graphics, with glide.http://www.glidos.net/ check it out, I love it - makes it look as good as TR3 or 4.

Nemhauser
16th Jul 2003, 03:51
I've played a lot of games with all sorts of different control-systems. And this is definitly one of the poorest ever.

Tony Ellen
16th Jul 2003, 05:41
As a die hard TR fan I completely understand what BKBaby999 is saying. Tomb Raider TLR is sheer perfection. You just want to kiss this game when you think about it. I wish that Core would model TR7 after the standards and workmanship done on The Last Revelation. Everything goes baby, dual pistols, 180 aerial spins and capping foes while doin backflips. IT'S THE LIFE!!! I hate to discriminate on my favorite game but TR1 & TR4 FOREVER WHOOO!!!