PDA

View Full Version : Hacking in DX:IW!

LuminousG00
13th Jul 2003, 12:04
The hacking system in DX1 could definitely be improved... how many times I could have just crushed the mouse looking at the little ICE breaker bar reducing and recharging! Anyone who's played System Shock 2 could agree - hacking should be fun and interactive, and actually involve chance and logic. To take control of a turret through the security system for example... how cool would that have been in DX1!? Or for the security cameras to have listening capability, or.... any suggestions? I'm not saying the systems in DX were bad for the time, but so much more could be added in DX:IW! Then again, if the game's being designed for console gamers and a broader audience.. sigh. :(

Trollslayer
13th Jul 2003, 15:04
It is my belief the hacking in DX2 should be either like System Shock 2, or like Shadowrun for ye olde Sega Genesis.

Big Ragu
13th Jul 2003, 16:45
Shadow Run...ahhh, good times.

Ductonius
13th Jul 2003, 16:51
Originally posted by Trollslayer
Shadowrun

Wow. Someone else has actually played that game. I'm shocked. I really am. I though I was pretty much the only person on the face of the planet who liked that cart.

I still boot it up every once in a while.

Trollslayer
13th Jul 2003, 17:35
Originally posted by Ductonius
Wow. Someone else has actually played that game. I'm shocked. I really am. I though I was pretty much the only person on the face of the planet who liked that cart.

I still boot it up every once in a while.

The game was great, yes? It had the usual restrains of any game that takes a PnP license and has a version made for PC/Console (restrains in this case being the repetitiveness of missions, small gameworld, and not much NPC interaction) but, sure enough, was great :D

Nothing like making your way trough the Sprawl, doing the measly package runs or ghoul killing, until you were fit to grab a cab and waltz down to Downtown Seattle, checking out the local gangs, sights and Johnsons... then it was all about the corps, nerve splicing and sinthetic augmentations... and all the nuyen they cost. Winston Marrs and Freya were my recurring 2 partners, along with Stark, Illene Two-Fists and Trent. Damn, that feeling of skulking trough a corp's floors, dodging camera sweepings, timing guard shifts and the cold sweat each time your Electronics skill wasn't high enough to open Maglocked doors, but still high enough to not let the alarm ring... *sigh* They don't make games like that anymore...

But here's hoping that, now that Microsoft has the license to the game, that they might do something good out of it... eh, who knows, maybe a future PC game based off Shadowrun will actually resemble Gibson's Neuromancer a lot more (since it was the original inspiration).

Ductonius
13th Jul 2003, 23:07
Originally posted by Trollslayer
The game was great, yes? It had the usual restrains of any game that takes a PnP license and has a version made for PC/Console (restrains in this case being the repetitiveness of missions, small gameworld, and not much NPC interaction) but, sure enough, was great :D

My favorite tactic to take on the corps was getting a fake ID along with a super high maglock passkey from a contact (cant remember which one though). Still nerve wracking because of all the things you coulnt control that can get your killed.

Hacking system was great, that is, besides the tarpits which kept nuking my programs. Then again, that was the game, and I could have jacked out when I fount out what it was.

There were a bunch of flaws in the game (like the fact that running the easiest corp missions took top notch equiptment and skills) but nothing that couldnt be worked around.

I keep hoping someone will do someting like it at some point in time.

vick1000
13th Jul 2003, 23:28
Shadowrun was like Deus Ex to me,a breakthrough non-linear
world,the game was easily beaten quickly,but took forever to
master.So much about thta title was awsome,the music inside
the nodes was so ambient.That contact with the Maglock passkey
was the one you get from Vigor & Jarl,Max I think.Did you guys
know about the node hack cheat,where as long as you have
acsess to a node next to the node you wish to acsess,you can
enter it?I always carried a level 1 Analyse around for those
nasty Tar Pits,and rebound for those evil Black ICs,since the
Tar Pits were usually on the CPUs of the Big Five,and Ito's system
you just burn the Analyse on the Pit,then Reboud the Black IC to
death.How about ABBACAB,if you know what that is,did it ruin the
game for you?I think I would still be playing the game if it was'nt
for that.And,oh yeah,those God-forsaken Hellhounds(no pun),
MAN were they a b1tch.I miss games like these,unforgettable
games,games that require thought and provoke thought,and
provide a truely unique expirience.It is my hope that DX:IW
does'nt disappoint.

Trollslayer
14th Jul 2003, 00:06
Those Hellhounds gave me a run for my money. I avoided them as best as i could, but i had my fair share of deadly encounters with them. Ah well, nothing some Jolts and silenced SMGs didn't cure ;)

And ABBACAB didn't really helped me much the first time i used it. O'course, 250,000 credits and Walk Faster were nice, but i resorted mainly to my personal skills :D

vick1000
15th Jul 2003, 02:44
You know the +10 Karma was cumulative,right?Save after
getting it,reset and repeat.It just kinda' made all those runs
for Gunderson so tedious,1 Karma for each run,just so I can
burn 24 or more on speed to keep me alive while I ran from
Halloweeners,LOL "HalloWEENERS",I JUST realised the pun there.