PDA

View Full Version : A couple of issues...

Pierre_André
12th Jul 2003, 05:47
I have recently switched to a GeForce FX 5200 128 Mb to replace my previous GeForce 4 MX 440 64 Mb and I have noticed that I am not able to play the game using the previous graphics/video settings. In the sense that with the GeForce FX 5200 I had to 'downgrade', sort of, the settings. Hence, the resolution I had to set at 1024 by 768, whereas previously I was running the game at 1280 by 1024 with no slowdowns. The PC is an Athlon 1.2 MHz, 512 Mb SDRAM and Audigy I.

Despite the 1024 by 768 resolution, when I reach the St Aicard Graveyard in the initial stages of the game, everything, quite literally slows down to a crawl. Is this related specifically to my system specifications, graphics settings or the game? In the other areas of the game, at the 1024 by 768 resolution, everything is smooth.

Also, I understand that the problem with respect to the FMV sequences having no video has not yet been resolved. Am I right on this?

Thanks for you help.

projo
12th Jul 2003, 13:21
I have just read a couple of posts related to graphics problems when using AMD and not Intel.

You can maybe fix this by going into OPTIONS and setting which configuration your graphics card is working with. Uncheck "AMD 3d now" and see what happens.

If you want to read the post for yourself, it is the one in the thread started by the Tech guy to find bugs : "Asking for assistance" or something like that. (in the AOD forum)

Pierre_André
12th Jul 2003, 16:38
I will try out the suggestion but would this make sense in view of the fact that my CPU is an AMD Ahtlon?

In the meantime I have uninstalled and re-installed the game, this time, however, stopping short of applying the patch. To my surprise I have noticed that the game does not statter, despite being set to 1280 by 1024 resolution. In fact, after installation was complete the only setting I changed was the resolution and I left the rest to the default/suggested setting.

Of course, without the patch I'm getting no FMV whatsoever, neither video nor audio.

I have yet to reach the St. Aicard Graveyard in this new scenario, i.e. no patch (I forgot to backup my saved games from the previous installation). My guess is, however, that I will experience slowdowns, especially at this resolution. This issue too seems to be widepsread.

Thanks.