PDA

View Full Version : :(

daemoniak
12th Jul 2003, 05:05
"We probably put too many missions into Deus Ex," he said. "People these days don't have 40 hours that they are willing to spend on a game. So we are going to have fewer locations. We will still have places like Cairo, Seattle and Antarctica, but with a greater level of detail." -spector

Why must you make baby jesus cry?

Picasso
12th Jul 2003, 06:21
Originally posted by DrLoomis, one of DX2's designers:

here's the deal:

dx1 was too long and had too much unused space. also, the narrative arc totally bogged down after a while. by the end of hong kong, you pretty much know what's up with the conspiracy and all that, but you have to go to paris and vandenberg and the ocean lab to do missions that had great gameplay but also didnt really move the story along at all.

plus, dx2 can be as long or short as you make it. it will take about 20 hours to play through the game if you just do all of the primary objectives and run through the whole thing quickly.

on the other hand, if you take advantage of the NUMEROUS side-quests and spend time exploring the spaces, you'll get a MUCH longer game. it's up to you.

add that to the fact that the story will dynamically react to your actions (unlike the first game, where lots of players wanted to stick with UNATCO after finding out that paul was with the NSF....unfortunately, the game did not support that) and consider that we're including way three times as many biomods as the first game (read: more character customization and replayability with different characters) and you guys have nothing to worry about.

also, maps are not smaller than in dx1, and even if they were it wouldnt be b/c of the xbox. anyone who saw our demo at e3 (which was running the EXACT same content on both the xbox and the pc) knows that we can put a LOT of stuff in a dx2 map.

daemoniak
12th Jul 2003, 06:50
you have hushed baby jesus

Trollslayer
12th Jul 2003, 12:40
Amen to that.

The first time i replayed DX1 i shot Lebedev with my pump-action, so i thought "this one will rank me higher in Unatco, and there's no way that Paul will try to recruit me!!", but alas, no. :(

cball05
12th Jul 2003, 23:16
When I started DX1 I was playing all the little extra missions, but by the end I started getting a little tired. It would be good to shorten the game a little and have lots of replay value

Daywalkermi
13th Jul 2003, 01:23
I would enjoy if Deus Ex's submissions also were a part of the devolpment of the character as it were in for instance Baldur's Gate...

The lebrowski incident is a good example... You can choose whether you want to assasinate somebody considering some sort of alignment you have chosen (you don't have to choose it in the game, it could just be your own feeling of Alex) again much as in Baldur's Gate e.i. ADAD...

Your actions and choise of missions should then affect you later in the game on some level.

maybe it is a little to much to hope for if you think that they are going to put many of such missions in the game, or even any, but it is supposed to be an adventure game, right??

crimson_stallion
13th Jul 2003, 03:38
Originally posted by Daywalkermi
I would enjoy if Deus Ex's submissions also were a part of the devolpment of the character as it were in for instance Baldur's Gate...

The lebrowski incident is a good example... You can choose whether you want to assasinate somebody considering some sort of alignment you have chosen (you don't have to choose it in the game, it could just be your own feeling of Alex) again much as in Baldur's Gate e.i. ADAD...

Your actions and choise of missions should then affect you later in the game on some level.

maybe it is a little to much to hope for if you think that they are going to put many of such missions in the game, or even any, but it is supposed to be an adventure game, right??

Or possibly effect the way characters interact with you :) i.e. if you are evil, good character will want nothign to do with you, if you are bad the reverse is true. This would be great. One similar situation in the original deus ex that i remember was at unatco. If you shot alot and killed alot of people in the mission before, and dependigng on what you said, the guy at the armoury (forgot his name) would refuse to give you ammo and give you lockpicks instead and charger prod or soemthing. cant remember exactly but it was along those lines somewhere.

Trollslayer
13th Jul 2003, 15:09
Originally posted by crimson_stallion
Or possibly effect the way characters interact with you :) i.e. if you are evil, good character will want nothign to do with you, if you are bad the reverse is true. This would be great. One similar situation in the original deus ex that i remember was at unatco. If you shot alot and killed alot of people in the mission before, and dependigng on what you said, the guy at the armoury (forgot his name) would refuse to give you ammo and give you lockpicks instead and charger prod or soemthing. cant remember exactly but it was along those lines somewhere.

In the armory, i'm guessing you mean Carter.

That was a good idea, but it had a "slight" flaw. I once exited castle Clinton without shooting anyone, but Navarre told me she was pleased with me because i wasn't afraid to kill... and Carter was miffed that i went in shooting :confused: At the time i reloaded and noticed Anna and the two UNATCO grunts were the ones who killed everyone :mad:

So i had to follow them to the entreance of CC, close the doors, and block the entrance with a large crate so that they didn't kill anyone.

The game should check who the PC kills, not if NPCs on your side kill NPCs that are not on your side.

vick1000
13th Jul 2003, 22:36
I just went in the "soda machine" entrance,and back out that
way,when you head towards the subway station just sit tight
and let Nevarra run up to you.But,your right,she still says
"you are not afraid to kill":confused: ,but the Carter cut
scene is different.

indx
14th Jul 2003, 19:40
I don't actually think Deus Ex is all that long. Yeah it's above average but I would prefer Deus Ex 2 to be longer. It's not like you have to keep playing it untill you complete it, you could just play it for an hour today.

Daywalkermi
15th Jul 2003, 23:29
Yeah pretty much as in mission 1, but instead of just making a funny sidenote then they could let it be something that had an effect throughout the game. or perhaps you could be evaluated in the end so instead of chosing which ending you prefer, you could choose through your actions. Maybe if you had behaved as badly as bob page helius would not deem you worthy of the merging either and so on...

Games often try to describe who the character, which you are "supposed" to feel some connection to, is, in stead of giving you some actual power in the matter. however i can see how this could be way to complicated to work in an actual game, but hey, this post is abaut dreaming right?? :)

NoNicknameForMe
16th Jul 2003, 02:51
There were so many boring, wtf moments in DX it wasn't funny... if they make it a bit smaller but more detailed I'm content. You do realize that with sub missions it will be even longer than DX, its just there wont be any points where your aimlessly wandering about with no idea what to do.

Picasso
16th Jul 2003, 02:53
Deus Ex was not long..And they should NOT shorten Deus ex 2

on the other hand, if you take advantage of the NUMEROUS side-quests and spend time exploring the spaces, you'll get a MUCH longer game. it's up to you.

add that to the fact that the story will dynamically react to your actions (unlike the first game, where lots of players wanted to stick with UNATCO after finding out that paul was with the NSF....unfortunately, the game did not support that) and consider that we're including way three times as many biomods as the first game (read: more character customization and replayability with different characters) and you guys have nothing to worry about.

Hannibal
29th Jul 2003, 15:00
I am a little bit disappointed about the length, but I won't be if it has the replayability that has been advertised.

BrainPrawn
30th Jul 2003, 12:53
MOD support would be nice too.

AlphaAssailant666
30th Jul 2003, 17:35
"We probably put too many missions into Deus Ex," he said. "People these days don't have 40 hours that they are willing to spend on a game. So we are going to have fewer locations. We will still have places like Cairo, Seattle and Antarctica, but with a greater level of detail." -spector

Excuses Excuses....

here's the deal:

dx1 was too long and had too much unused space. also, the narrative arc totally bogged down after a while. by the end of hong kong, you pretty much know what's up with the conspiracy and all that, but you have to go to paris and vandenberg and the ocean lab to do missions that had great gameplay but also didnt really move the story along at all.

plus, dx2 can be as long or short as you make it. it will take about 20 hours to play through the game if you just do all of the primary objectives and run through the whole thing quickly.

also, maps are not smaller than in dx1, and even if they were it wouldnt be b/c of the xbox. anyone who saw our demo at e3 (which was running the EXACT same content on both the xbox and the pc) knows that we can put a LOT of stuff in a dx2 map.

thats good to hear ....

but i want a long game AND replayability......

EDIT: sorry i shoulda quoted

Picasso
30th Jul 2003, 20:45
but i want a long game AND replayability......

What a great idea. Then we'll only have to wait until 2006 for the game to be released.

AlphaAssailant666
30th Jul 2003, 21:52
Thats not what im saying i would just like it to be at least as long as deus ex. Sure they added more branching thngs for replayability but thtas no reason to make levels smaller jus tso they can make the gamae as fast as possible i would be willing to wait a little longer. 2006 would be very exagerated

Random
31st Jul 2003, 02:32
Picasso, where's your other DrLoomis quote on level size? ;)

Picasso
31st Jul 2003, 23:37

El Padrino
1st Aug 2003, 09:37
Originally posted by crimson_stallion

Haha! I remember that. At the time, though, it wasn't quite so funny, since I was like "What? The last time I played this game I remember you gave me cooler stuff than this! What the hell? Don't you see I want to shoot people more this time around?" But looking back, I guess it's something that made that game as great as it was.

Ammo
2nd Aug 2003, 02:50
The more diferent effects the better. I am now playing it fot the second time. The first time I let the following die:

Paul
Jock
Lebedev
Hostiges

I didnt do so well

This time I have saved everybody and made diferent decisions from my first time through, and theres still more to do that I havent done. I even had cheats on the first time through, and it still took me about 60 hours (no joke, I kept track) to complete it.

Rotor Head
11th Aug 2003, 22:50
longer is better..................make it long please.....................

:D

Trollslayer
11th Aug 2003, 23:04
Originally posted by Rotor Head
longer is better..................make it long please.....................

:D

I sincerely hope you're talking about the game... :eek: