PDA

View Full Version : FFXIV: Concerned about 'making things equal' approach

member_10089778
4th Jun 2013, 22:18
I am a bit concerned about some of the moves the development team seem to have taken regarding a few elements of the game.

They removed elemental weaknesses -
this is from a recent live letter:
Q29: Do you have any plans to implement elemental weaknesses/resistances? Also, please tell us why you eliminated these.

A29: There was already a lengthy response about this on the Beta forum, but to give you an example, if you are fighting Ifrit and his weakness is water, then classes and jobs that are proficient in fire would be excluded from participating. Since we want to make participating in content easy with the Duty Finder, we felt that this wasn't good and decided to get rid of it.

I have read also that race starting stats will be balanced for similiar reasons.

there have been a few other features that follow this 'everyone is equal' approach.

firstly, Im quite baffled at the descision to remove elemental weakness; it has been in every final fantasy up to this point, and it was something that required the use of strategy in certain situations.
secondly, in my experience a Black Mage has always relied heavily on elemental spells. Removing elemental weaknesses may level the playing field for other jobs/classes, but it seems to completely gut the utility of an elemental mage.

I am growing more concerned as I learn more about the game, that this increased focus on making things equal for all will diminish the need for player strategy and skill.

I am interested to hear how others feel about this.

venkaramon
5th Jun 2013, 00:51
This is quite hard to reply on but I'll try somehow. Hard because both you and the dev team make a point. From your side you're right in the sense that equalizing and making things more simple tends to lessen the strategic value. Then again the dev team is also right in the sense that there are people who tend to just specialize on 1 element. Why? Maybe just because of personal preference I know it sounds silly but there are quirky people like that. But I do disagree on you on one thing. They did add some new elements that require player strategy, like the need to move around in some NM / Primal battles, Titan anyone? For me the info I've seen now I'm satisfied a bit. I don't / can't expect too much from them. Like getting / answering most expectations because lets face it they rebuilt a game from scratch within what just a little more than a year if im not mistaken?

Oh and another thing I think they really just want us to immerse in the duty finder first, they've really been pushing for it as it seems. Maybe after they can implement the weaknesses back. Hopefully or at least add some sort of spell that makes a specific element type stronger against the said mob