PDA

View Full Version : Oicture problems on the web OT

Sneak
9th Jul 2003, 15:42
This is a tad off topic but I do need some help. I have an odd one with either windows or IE. Not sure what occcured but on a bunch of web sites I am not getting pictures or even some link icons displayed. What I get are the placeholders [an outline with a small white square with red X]

One this site everything works fine but over at ttlg it isn't. Over there no pics display and no navigation icons either. Is odd because both forums use the same software. On gamespot.com I get no pics showing even from new game screenshots. On Newegg.com the pics do show until I click on a link to see a larger shot of a product and then I get a placeholder.

It does not matter whether the pics are gifs or jpg's. Also right click and show pics does not show them.

I have IE set to show pics under advanced properties and also have the placeholders options unchecked. I have done the usual repair IE, defrag, scan disk. I have checked and rechecked internet properties, set things to default and reset again. Done all the above several times. Always the same sites don't show the pics, is not random.

Seems something has gone askew but can't place it. Any help would be much appreciated.

Sneak
9th Jul 2003, 15:45
Another note: well more than half the sites I surf too will not display pics.

Sneak
9th Jul 2003, 15:54
HA I just realized that I made a big typo in the subject line of this topic. Oicture should be Picture.:eek:

theBlackman
9th Jul 2003, 17:27
Just a suggestion, but put the pointer on the X , right click, check properties.

Copy the URL and paste it to the Address Bar. Then see if you can get there directly. If you can't then, it may be that the Pic addy is not active at the moment. Or is no longer in use.

Example is the Photo Thread in COMM CHAT. Some of the links are no longer valid, and you only get the X for some of the earlier sites where the photoes were.

Sneak
9th Jul 2003, 20:48
TBM,
I tried that and I could get to the pics and they displayed. Funny thing was when I clicked the back arrow that particular pic would also display on the page.

I have found the problem though but haven't figured out how to make it stick. The problem is in IE. If you go to the view selection on the menu and then scroll down to encoding another menu pops out. There is my trouble, is set to Western European ISO and NOT Western European Windows.

When I set it to Western European Windows the page reloads with all pics and links showing. The trouble is I have to do this on every page and even a page I have been too. There must be somewhere to permenently set encoding but I can't find it.

Auto select doesn't work under encoding. It selects Western European ISO.

Any ideas?

theBlackman
9th Jul 2003, 22:19
You might have to tweak each site you visit, as a start you might try AUTO SELECT and see what happens.

If you do it on the EIDOS site, then surf around, you can easily come back to EIDOS and change back to WESTERN etc. If Auto Select kicks in you may be OK.

OR Select WESTERN close the browser then reboot your system and see if it takes permanently.

Sneak
10th Jul 2003, 03:29
Am working on it, Auto Select should work. Is funny but it selects Western European Windows for Eidos and Western European ISO for TTLG. When over there and I change the encoding, the page displays fine. Same with everywhere actually.

I thing Internet Exploder has lost its mind. Never had this prob before.

OK gonna surf around and see if the reboot helped anything.

Vanguard
10th Jul 2003, 15:16
Have you purged your browser's temp file cache (Temp Internet Files), including offline content? Purged your cookies (your browser's, not your own)?

Sneak
10th Jul 2003, 15:36
Well it seems to be working now. Don't know exactly what fixed it. I fiddled around with Ecoding on several pages and then rebooted. And so far so good.

Whatever it was seems to have reset itself when I manually changed encoding and rebooted.

Vanguard,
I have temp internet cache files set to auto clear on shutdown. I don't use any offline content but delete those files pretty often anyway just in case.

Never cleared cookies. I have removed a lot that I don't need. Oh boy, would have to go and remember some site passwords if I cleared those.

Vanguard
12th Jul 2003, 03:54
The option to clear IE's temp cache when you exit (it's *last* instance) doesn't work too well. Been many a time when I have even manually purged the cache and still found files in that directory. Same for cookies.

bravus
22nd Jul 2003, 02:42
I have found the problem though but haven't figured out how to make it stick. The problem is in IE.

I think there's an extra 'in' in that last sentence... ;)

Use Netscape!

But seriously, why set the cache to clear on exit? Means you have to re-download all the images every time you visit common sites, which increases bandwidth use for you individually and drag on the net on general. Why not just purge it manually once in a while, or if you have problems or get low on disk space?

Anyway, good to see it's working OK now.

Bravus