PDA

View Full Version : FFXIV: Jobs, Classes and Races

Pages : [1] 2

Grimoire
1st Apr 2013, 06:03
~Viangaa~ (http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/pr/blog/000029.html)

Sonicfayt
4th Apr 2013, 06:28
The Kingdom Hearts / Final Fantasy April Fools joke was good too, I think this would of left fans a bit more confused.

Reaper83
1st Jun 2013, 10:38
Im thinking 3 different classes either Lancer,Maurder, or Gladiator my guys gonna be the Big Guy cant remember what the race is called so what one do you guys think would be more helpful and easy to solo when needed

x3Noctis
1st Jun 2013, 12:29
Lancer's are more squishy but they do a lot of damage. If you don't know how to play safely, for the beginning, you either might die a lot or you'll get through it easily. Since they do lots of damage.

Gladiators do combo like damages in quick successions but their damage is a bit weaker compared to Lancers and Marauders, however they're very tanky so it makes sense. If you like tanking and prefer soloing, Gladiators are the way to go.

Marauders are also good soloers too. Pretty balance class and not surprising since they become Warriors. Tanky and with good damage. Almost as great as a tank compared to Gladiators who becomes Paladins in the future.

But in the end, it depends on what Job you want to be/focus on. And eventually, you'll max level that job and the two classes required to be that job. You can then level every other class/job. :) Just saying. It's okay to be indecisive, you'll be able to change your class/job easily.

Edited.

Reaper83
1st Jun 2013, 12:33
thank yuo for ur input

CHASER33
1st Jun 2013, 13:05
I am For sure going gladiator just cause everyone loves tanks, And im veryintersted in seeing how the tanking mechanics work =)

Reaper83
1st Jun 2013, 13:51
Yea gladitor would be ok but the Paliadin does look awesome I really want a DPS classs so probably Lancer

x3Noctis
1st Jun 2013, 14:54
I'm going Paladin. <3 I always love being a tank and the sword and shield look is awesome. :D

venkaramon
1st Jun 2013, 15:48
Same with me Saha I'll be prioritizing PDN as well but will eventually play every class for flexibility which is the fun thing about the game no restrictions. quick question though if anyone knows can you change to absolutely every class? like all disciples? even land and hand?

Tachimeh
1st Jun 2013, 16:47
I'm going for Conjurer or Thaumaturge. Can't decide if I wanna roleplay as a good or evil mage....hmmm /tools/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/img/smiley-wink.gif Add me on psn: stephenboii

AngelPhoenix77
1st Jun 2013, 17:37
im unsure atm im waitng for the ninja or samurai to get into the game. but if they come in after the game launches, im thinking lancer.

tICAL2399
2nd Jun 2013, 02:12
I'm gonna go black mage, although the character I'd like to play as doesn't exist. As a fan of Bleach I'd like a chracter that was similar to a Gotei 13 captain. Uses Katanas, high footspeed and the ability to use a few spells. I think Samurai will be in the game at some point but I doubt they will be able to use any type of offensive or defensive spells.

I Think FFX spoiled me. I liked having Auron use all his Samurai type skills in addtion to protect (which I made it a point for him to learn).

member_10571060
2nd Jun 2013, 04:12
Same with me Saha I'll be prioritizing PDN as well but will eventually play every class for flexibility which is the fun thing about the game no restrictions. quick question though if anyone knows can you change to absolutely every class? like all disciples? even land and hand?

You can. There are no restrictions at all. A lot of people in 1.0 had each DOH and DOL at 50. It makes for quite an interesting economy.

Reaper83
2nd Jun 2013, 07:38
Now that Ive been reading Im thinking of leveling lancer to 50 then go to gladitor to 50 then decide if I want paldine or draggon

x3Noctis
2nd Jun 2013, 22:29
I'm gonna go black mage, although the character I'd like to play as doesn't exist. As a fan of Bleach I'd like a chracter that was similar to a Gotei 13 captain. Uses Katanas, high footspeed and the ability to use a few spells. I think Samurai will be in the game at some point but I doubt they will be able to use any type of offensive or defensive spells.

I Think FFX spoiled me. I liked having Auron use all his Samurai type skills in addtion to protect (which I made it a point for him to learn).

The class I think is closest to what you depicted is probably the Ninja class. Based on my experience, they use Katanas (Sometimes Dual Wield Katanas), and cast elemental damage. All of them. They're also fast and such too.

Naoki Yoshida said they'll come out in the near future.

Mikealpotter06
2nd Jun 2013, 23:35
I gotta say, Bard/Archer is really appealing to me... Disciples of Hand/Land are more of a sub-class the supports your current main (Paladin, Monk, Marauder, etc.) class, right? Or are there ways being implemented to make it appealing to just be a fisherman? X_x'

Kayo1
3rd Jun 2013, 11:42
I think Disciples of Land/Hand are the crafting jobs which they basicaly just turned into actual classes. Not sure if you can level them all or not but I dont think most players will be leveling them as their main class. Some dedicated crafters maybe.

Ill be doing Archer/Monk. Not sure how the whole clas>job transition works in 14 but thats what ill be focusing on first. Not a big fan of Bards ... at least not in concept. Ill probably try it out eventually though.

Grafulrich88
3rd Jun 2013, 17:42
Hey Ladies and Gents!

I want to be a Paladin. I'm interested in Fisher, or Culinarian (just to mix it up from the norm). I play for fun not level grinding (unless it's needed). I want to build a nice home and if allowed do some "Fable" stuff like Marry a NPC, have children, buy businesses, and open up my own storefront and sell my goods to players. Ok so this is "Fable" stuff is wishful thinking but I hope it can come true. I like to see my kids grow up and adventure with me or take over the family business.

Cheers!!!

Rob

PSN: GrafUlrich88 (feel free to send me a friend request)

member_10292472
3rd Jun 2013, 17:46
I like using dual wepons and spells so the Ninja class sounds like an awsome class to me. :)

FugitiveGunslinger
3rd Jun 2013, 22:31
I haven't decided on my race yet, but it will either be a male Miqo'te or Elezen. I am going to be playing as an Arcanist; SMN was my favorite job in FFXI.

aznleester
4th Jun 2013, 00:34
Since this thread is about Classes I shall ask my question here. Does anyone know if I am able to make a Bard and be a blacksmith at the same time? Be great to play the game as a Bard and be able to craft your own Weapon or sell at End-game.

venkaramon
4th Jun 2013, 01:25
Since this thread is about Classes I shall ask my question here. Does anyone know if I am able to make a Bard and be a blacksmith at the same time? Be great to play the game as a Bard and be able to craft your own Weapon or sell at End-game.

You can be any class at any discipleship anytime so yes. You can even be a cook and a lancer at the same time. Cook the meat you catch

I think Disciples of Land/Hand are the crafting jobs which they basicaly just turned into actual classes. Not sure if you can level them all or not but I dont think most players will be leveling them as their main class. Some dedicated crafters maybe. Ill be doing Archer/Monk. Not sure how the whole clas>job transition works in 14 but thats what ill be focusing on first. Not a big fan of Bards ... at least not in concept. Ill probably try it out eventually though.

Sadly from what I've been reading in the lodestone forums it seems some land / hand classes are being downplayed / being made too simple hence removing them from being real classes that you have to spend time and effort to invest in. But still its not official official yet so here's to hoping.

The class I think is closest to what you depicted is probably the Ninja class. Based on my experience, they use Katanas (Sometimes Dual Wield Katanas), and cast elemental damage. All of them. They're also fast and such too.

Naoki Yoshida said they'll come out in the near future.

Indeed yoshi has said he'd like more classes to come out, since ninja / samurai / musketeer have been popularly asked he's considering those but since samurai is up there too I think if ever ninja dual wields it might be dagger since they both can't have the same wep type. Just sayin' XD But in terms of balance they should come out with another magic class first imo. Maybe a blue mage?

venkaramon
4th Jun 2013, 01:55
I know its too early to talk about this seeing that the game isn't even out yet but then again it's never to early to speculate and dream.
So the producer yoshi-p himself has talked about wanting more classes instead of having current classes equip more variety of weapon.
He also spoke of future classes that seemed to be "wanted" or popular.

So far Classes confirmed / considered : Scholar, Musketeer, Samurai and Ninja

Races considered: Viera (due to popularity with western audience) and a reptilian / beast class such as the Bangaa

What would you like to see in the future of ARR? There's no limit to our imagination right so dream away fellow future Eorzean's

member_10292472
4th Jun 2013, 02:34
I totally want the Ninja class. Should be a good one. Not sure what a Viera is so I guess ill be looking that up. lol

Leaferian-379423
4th Jun 2013, 02:41
I would really prefer it if they made the Viera available in male as well (from what I understand from XII Ultimania, male Viera are INCREDIBLY badasses), but other races I would like to see are the Yukes (http://www.rpgfan.com/pics/Final_Fantasy_Crystal_Chronicles_Crystal_Bearers/art-004.jpg) or Lilties (http://www.uffsite.net/images/news/crystalbearers/art-28-aug/Althea.jpg) (from Crystal Chronicles), the Aegyl (http://images.wikia.com/finalfantasy/images/7/7e/Sky_Warrior_RW.png) or Gria (http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20071015160408/finalfantasy/images/6/6c/GriaGeomancer.jpg) (XII, Tactics Advance 2), or perhaps even the Ronso of Final Fantasy X. If we're going to go beast races and we MUST separate by gender, I would really like it if there was a Bat-like race for males to play. I love bats, and I'd really like to play a character with big batty ears, fangs, some awesome skin/eye colorations, and batwinged/clawed arms/hands!

As for classes I hope they bring in the Red Mage, a Spellblade-like class, that kind of thing. A thief-based profession that becomes Ninja would also be nice! Eventually I would like a Dark Knight or Necromancer styled class that gets access to battlescythes. If I could make a bat guy with a scythe and Dark/Gravity magic? I would be playing the game CONSTANTLY.

It would also be nice if we could, eventually, go across the ocean to the islands that the Lalafell came from. Maybe a few other countries, even.

member_10292472
4th Jun 2013, 02:47
Ok forgot about Viera somehow. And a agree about a spellblade class. That would be awesome. I like dual wepondps and spells. So want a class thad can have dual swords as well as cast some cool spells. :-)

venkaramon
4th Jun 2013, 03:41
I would really prefer it if they made the Viera available in male as well (from what I understand from XII Ultimania, male Viera are INCREDIBLY badasses), but other races I would like to see are the Yukes (http://www.rpgfan.com/pics/Final_Fantasy_Crystal_Chronicles_Crystal_Bearers/art-004.jpg) or Lilties (http://www.uffsite.net/images/news/crystalbearers/art-28-aug/Althea.jpg) (from Crystal Chronicles), the Aegyl (http://images.wikia.com/finalfantasy/images/7/7e/Sky_Warrior_RW.png) or Gria (http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20071015160408/finalfantasy/images/6/6c/GriaGeomancer.jpg) (XII, Tactics Advance 2), or perhaps even the Ronso of Final Fantasy X. If we're going to go beast races and we MUST separate by gender, I would really like it if there was a Bat-like race for males to play. I love bats, and I'd really like to play a character with big batty ears, fangs, some awesome skin/eye colorations, and batwinged/clawed arms/hands!

As for classes I hope they bring in the Red Mage, a Spellblade-like class, that kind of thing. A thief-based profession that becomes Ninja would also be nice! Eventually I would like a Dark Knight or Necromancer styled class that gets access to battlescythes. If I could make a bat guy with a scythe and Dark/Gravity magic? I would be playing the game CONSTANTLY.

It would also be nice if we could, eventually, go across the ocean to the islands that the Lalafell came from. Maybe a few other countries, even.

Who doesn't love additional world to explore right? Imo a necromancer type is a hard fit for the game but a dark knight is definitely being discussed about. Red mage sounds good as well a hybrid between the magic / war trees. Although I'm putting my money on a blue mage type of class I definitely would like to see samurai or ninja soon. Just think of all the people who would flock to that.

Seeing we have a lot of DD classes I for one would like to see some sort of a different kind of support class come in to play. And as for races since the producer personally wants to see a more reptillian beast like race they could go down the path of a female viera but the male counterpart is a male beast thing. Just putting it out there

Cordane
4th Jun 2013, 03:51
I know its too early to talk about this seeing that the game isn't even out yet but then again it's never to early to speculate and dream.
So the producer yoshi-p himself has talked about wanting more classes instead of having current classes equip more variety of weapon.
He also spoke of future classes that seemed to be "wanted" or popular.

So far Classes confirmed / considered : Scholar, Musketeer, Samurai and Ninja

Races considered: Viera (due to popularity with western audience) and a reptilian / beast class such as the Bangaa

What would you like to see in the future of ARR? There's no limit to our imagination right so dream away fellow future Eorzean's

I would like to see Thief back in play.

Leaferian-379423
4th Jun 2013, 03:56
Yeah, I think that's kind of a terrible idea despite the fact that Yoshi already mentioned that he didn't want to add male Viera. To be perfectly honest, I'm really sick of gender-locked races. We had to fight Yoshi-P every frelling step of the way to get male Mi'qote and female Roegadyn already, and I am pretty sure the same fight will just happen over again. What it actually comes down to is that the beastlike races like Mi'qote and Viera make it really easy to create hypersexual and mostly naked looks, and Yoshi's team doesn't want to have to animate similarly sexualized males. If we have to have genderlocked races, I'm also kind of tired of the male race always being some hulking monstrosity. I'd rather something mystical, like the Yukes I mentioned above, or something with a really unique look.

I believe Yoshi mentioned they wanted to add more magic classes before they add more physical classes, and that they also wanted to add new kinds of support and a ranger-like character. With Arcanist/Summoner added and whatever class leads to the newly-confirmed Scholar Job, that puts us at 4 Magic, 5 War I believe. Since the Bard is supposed to be a support character too, I'd imagine there will be at least one Magic Job based around supper. I guess the Scholar might be, but if not then they might decide to pull Green Mage or something into the mix.

I'm curious as to what a Blue Mage job would come off of, class-wise, and also what their weapon would be. For that matter, I wonder how they would let you Learn stuff.

venkaramon
4th Jun 2013, 06:55
Yeah, I think that's kind of a terrible idea despite the fact that Yoshi already mentioned that he didn't want to add male Viera. To be perfectly honest, I'm really sick of gender-locked races. We had to fight Yoshi-P every frelling step of the way to get male Mi'qote and female Roegadyn already, and I am pretty sure the same fight will just happen over again. What it actually comes down to is that the beastlike races like Mi'qote and Viera make it really easy to create hypersexual and mostly naked looks, and Yoshi's team doesn't want to have to animate similarly sexualized males. If we have to have genderlocked races, I'm also kind of tired of the male race always being some hulking monstrosity. I'd rather something mystical, like the Yukes I mentioned above, or something with a really unique look.

I believe Yoshi mentioned they wanted to add more magic classes before they add more physical classes, and that they also wanted to add new kinds of support and a ranger-like character. With Arcanist/Summoner added and whatever class leads to the newly-confirmed Scholar Job, that puts us at 4 Magic, 5 War I believe. Since the Bard is supposed to be a support character too, I'd imagine there will be at least one Magic Job based around supper. I guess the Scholar might be, but if not then they might decide to pull Green Mage or something into the mix.

I'm curious as to what a Blue Mage job would come off of, class-wise, and also what their weapon would be. For that matter, I wonder how they would let you Learn stuff.

Correct me if I'm mistaken but a blue mage usually uses a whip right ? :) and i kinda find that funny that you had to fight him for a male mi'qote seeing as thats the last race / gender he used on the last live producer video but yeah I agree since he himself speaks of freedom and flexibility gender locking should never be done -.- you wanted to give us freedom then give it to ush! :D Unique but yes not a hulking monstrosity that I can agree with that I too am looking for that.

And so far people still go for Ninja I guess as a class they want to see. I mean who can blame em everyone loves stealthy ninja assassins, I blame tenchu.

SoulEaterQUEEN
4th Jun 2013, 11:18
I personally would love to see Viera in the game. I just hope it wouldn't be oversexualized though.

As for classes, it would definitely be Ninja, Dark Knight, Samurai, Blue Mage (but I want it to have a gunner style of some sort) and maybe combine it with a Beastmaster class, where you can enchant pets while using monster abilities for magic/buffs for guns. I'd also like to see red mage (dual wielding magic class) -- maybe it can connect with scholar?

Personally I thought it would be very cool if you started off as one class, and then have two pathways for each, for example, if you started out as a warrior, you can develop into paladin OR darknight. Or if you started off some mage class, and it could become scholar OR red mage, or if you did thief, you can be ninja OR corsair.

member_10292472
4th Jun 2013, 11:43

I have to agree about the big hulking males, way overdone. A new male charactor thats more ethereal or mystical would be cool. Id like to see them do a race where the male is more attractive then the female. Make the male the small one and the female the hulkier one. Like how some animals have the male more attractive then the female. For example a peocock male has the buatiful feathers and the female is the dull looking one. Something like that would be different and unique for a game.

I myself love the male MIOQ'TE and plan on creating one first thing, just not sure if i want Sun or Moon. I will have to see the charactor creator options for both to decide, but thinking Moon.

A new Magick class would be fine with me. I lean more to those type of skills. So anything thats uses spells is game. Like the Red Mage that was just mentioned above.

Leaferian-379423
4th Jun 2013, 12:38
Correct me if I'm mistaken but a blue mage usually uses a whip right ? :) and i kinda find that funny that you had to fight him for a male mi'qote seeing as thats the last race / gender he used on the last live producer video but yeah I agree since he himself speaks of freedom and flexibility gender locking should never be done -.- you wanted to give us freedom then give it to ush! :D Unique but yes not a hulking monstrosity that I can agree with that I too am looking for that.

And so far people still go for Ninja I guess as a class they want to see. I mean who can blame em everyone loves stealthy ninja assassins, I blame tenchu.

As far as I recall, depending on the games Blue Mages use staves, daggers, or swords. Specifically, saber/shamshir-type swords. In X-2 the Blue Mage was called Gun Mage instead, and they had a sort of arcane pistol that used "Blue Bullet" magic. I don't actually recall a game where they get access to whips. And yeah, Yoshi has been using a male Mi'qote with white hair for a while now but it was after the playerbase basically said "Give it to us in 2.0 or we're not playing". As I recall, he said he thought male Viera would be "weird" and that the team wouldn't want to make them. Damn shame, because those things are frelling BEASTS. And kind of terrifying.

Hmm, true enough. I think Ninja is just so much a Final Fantasy Job by now that it's weird to now have one. I rarely play Ninja except to get access to the Dual Wield ability, but I know they are lots of fun for others. :) I wonder if the Ninja shouldn't get some passive speed and stealth bonuses. Y'know, move faster and be harder to see by monsters? Would make it great for getting around.

I personally would love to see Viera in the game. I just hope it wouldn't be oversexualized though.

As for classes, it would definitely be Ninja, Dark Knight, Samurai, Blue Mage (but I want it to have a gunner style of some sort) and maybe combine it with a Beastmaster class, where you can enchant pets while using monster abilities for magic/buffs for guns. I'd also like to see red mage (dual wielding magic class) -- maybe it can connect with scholar?

Personally I thought it would be very cool if you started off as one class, and then have two pathways for each, for example, if you started out as a warrior, you can develop into paladin OR darknight. Or if you started off some mage class, and it could become scholar OR red mage, or if you did thief, you can be ninja OR corsair.

Unfortunately, I think the ship has sailed on oversexualization. They implemented breast size and jiggle physics already, and the outfits for Mi'qote (at least so far) seem like an absolute joke. Being honest, I'm sure half of the team is sexually repressed and has this game has their only outlet.

Certainly interesting ideas. As for Classes branching out, I believe Yoshi-P said that he wanted to look into having two jobs for each class. Since Jobs are equippable/unequippable party-based specializations, branching jobs would just have to be specialized in a different stat from whatever came before it.

I have to agree about the big hulking males, way overdone. A new male charactor thats more ethereal or mystical would be cool. Id like to see them do a race where the male is more attractive then the female. Make the male the small one and the female the hulkier one. Like how some animals have the male more attractive then the female. For example a peocock male has the buatiful feathers and the female is the dull looking one. Something like that would be different and unique for a game.

I myself love the male MIOQ'TE and plan on creating one first thing, just not sure if i want Sun or Moon. I will have to see the charactor creator options for both to decide, but thinking Moon.

A new Magick class would be fine with me. I lean more to those type of skills. So anything thats uses spells is game. Like the Red Mage that was just mentioned above.

I might still make a male Mi'qote depending on what the new options are like. The first two phases of the beta were very limited by necessity, so here's hoping the character creator is much freer now. Seekers of the Sun are generally what I prefer, but the Keepers of the Moon have some pretty awesome eye stuff going on. According to some of the new screenshots of character creation shown a while back, though, it looks like a ton of options were added to several sections.

member_10562115
4th Jun 2013, 14:13
I'm going to play as a male Miqo'te pugilist/monk with conjurer,lancer, and archer skills

Reaper83
4th Jun 2013, 15:58
now are the races gonna have certain stats for each class, ie Elves will have a higher stat in archer then the Big muscle guys where the Big guys will be better suited for Paladins Maruders and Gladitors or will the all start out with the same stats no matter what class u pick for ur race?

SpaceWolf87
4th Jun 2013, 16:41
Most likley, thats how it was in Final antasy 11.

SpaceWolf87
4th Jun 2013, 16:44
Im going in as a Thaumaturge and maxing that bad boy out before heading to Black Mage. Gonna be a Midlander Hyur, even have his name already picked out. Can't post it on here though, people love stealing names! lol

LennethLionK3
4th Jun 2013, 18:21
I believe Yoshi-P said race stats will not be like FFXI, and will all be the same. He didn't want people to be discouraged from playing the race and job they want to because of the stats.

sqex_3651635
4th Jun 2013, 19:06
I know what you mean that's why I'm not putting my name up either. I think I'm going to be a sun mi'qote paladain and maybe a white Mage if I need to.

sqex_3651635
4th Jun 2013, 19:08
Yeah but all races will have slight stat differences, but it won't be anything too major. Only like one or two points in a certain stat.

LennethLionK3
4th Jun 2013, 19:29
Hmm, do stats start a little different but grow the same?

sqex_3651635
4th Jun 2013, 19:50
Yeah I think so but I'm definatly sure that all races start just slightly different like seekers have 1 point Moore on STR and keepers have 1 more point on piety

alanman178
4th Jun 2013, 20:02
I believe Yoshi-P said race stats will not be like FFXI, and will all be the same. He didn't want people to be discouraged from playing the race and job they want to because of the stats.

I thought the stats in FF11 made perfect sense. But, I don't see a problem with having just the jobs make the actual difference in gameplay.

LennethLionK3
4th Jun 2013, 20:09
Yeah I think so but I'm definatly sure that all races start just slightly different like seekers have 1 point Moore on STR and keepers have 1 more point on piety

Ok, I just remember Yoshi-P didn't want race to be at a disadvantage compared to other races when it came to selecting jobs/classes.

LennethLionK3
4th Jun 2013, 20:10

I thought the stats in FF11 made perfect sense. But, I don't see a problem with having just the jobs make the actual difference in gameplay.

I didn't dislike the way FFXI did it, but it was lame how a Galka wasn't really accepted by all as a Mage, and a Taru as a Tank.

venkaramon
5th Jun 2013, 00:52
Aren't stats added manually as you level a class? Sorry never played XI or 1.0 :) just wondering

venkaramon
5th Jun 2013, 01:00
Quistis got stuck in my mind. Hence the whip reference. *wapish*

And as for ninja I think blending sounds cool but the inc. mspeed alone is enough to get past monster. Not that you need to because from what I hear this game's difficulty level is on training wheels mode.

For the branching out I believe there's a rumor that scholar might be a branch out of the summoner. Or the job for muskeeter which is a long range class mind you though they are all rumors which might be answered come e3. I'd love to speculate more about branching out but I never played 1.0 or the alpha / beta so I don't even know how many jobs were allowed to try. I think I recall two at most? Regarding oversexualization I agree it has looong sailed. Though personally I don't mind it I just hope it doesn't come out awkward.

Well for beta 3 all customizations will be a go. So if you're in it have fun :D the rest of us will have to wait for the 2nd benchmark which includes a character creation software. :/ Personally I'm going for a male hyur although I'm fighting the urge not to make a female instead. Why the female just looks awesome esp monk -.-

venkaramon
5th Jun 2013, 01:01
Im going in as a Thaumaturge and maxing that bad boy out before heading to Black Mage. Gonna be a Midlander Hyur, even have his name already picked out. Can't post it on here though, people love stealing names! lol

I got a few names picked out too. But just a quick question how long is the maximum allowed for a name? and spaces are allowed if I'm right right? :D

SpaceWolf87
5th Jun 2013, 02:25
I wanna say you could have a first and last name, Red, I think that's how it was in FF11. Been so long I can't remember, so don't hold that to me!

SpaceWolf87
5th Jun 2013, 02:28
Man I hope the races have differnet stats, that was the best part about customization in FF11 to me. Mixing and matching!

venkaramon
5th Jun 2013, 04:49
Starting stats I think they'll more or less be the same but from what I know each level up you can place / assign the growth yourself. I never played 11 so I wouldnt know but wouldn't the difference be miniscule I mean its just starting stats?

venkaramon
5th Jun 2013, 04:52
Well when I checked lodestone and see the posters' chara names I can see at least a first and last. I just hope its allows me to type my whole planned name out its kinda long -.- at least my first choice

kushite
5th Jun 2013, 09:50
As a black guy I have a strange want to be a lancer. . .lmao but yeah deffinateky going lancer. . .one reason. . .jump

also I cancelled my dcuo subscription for this game. add me on psn tengushinobi33

Paladin_Locke
5th Jun 2013, 11:56
I know I am going Lancer/Dragoon all the way. I may use Gladiator/Paladin when playing along with my girlfriend though. Beyond that, I'll probably running A LOT of crafting/farming jobs. Probably Mining/Armorsmith/Blacksmith (I like making my own gear) and Botanist/Alchemist (Can never have enough potions). Granted, I may not advance as quickly as most players, but I think in the end I'll be better off for it.

P.S. I love the fact we get the Ultros server name here. SOLD!

Paladin_Locke
5th Jun 2013, 12:06

I got a few names picked out too. But just a quick question how long is the maximum allowed for a name? and spaces are allowed if I'm right right? :D

Spaces I don't know about. If you are asking whether or not you can space to use a first and last name, that is already done for you. If you want to use a two word first or last name, I have no idea. If I were you, I would simple assume that you can't, figure out a name that doesn't require it, and then possibly be pleasantly surprised on launch.

I have a name picked out that I used in my old Final Fantasy XI days. Which also means I'll be using a Midlander Hyur too. I genuinely prefer them because they are rather well rounded and aren't limited to any particular role.

Ruhyah
5th Jun 2013, 12:08
me, miqoute...I think Im going to start mine as a conjurer..so he can be a summoner...he in end be jack of all trades and master of all classes....I like switching to situation...Definitely like making my own equiptment and items...

Paladin_Locke
5th Jun 2013, 12:23
me, miqoute...I think Im going to start mine as a conjurer..so he can be a summoner...he in end be jack of all trades and master of all classes....I like switching to situation...Definitely like making my own equiptment and items...

Miqo'te is an excellent choice. It would be my second choice as a player race. You can't go wrong with slightly increased DEX. Due to my experiences in FFXI, I'm trying to avoid races that specialize in certain things like Elezen/Elvaan high melee power/low accuracy. Lalafel/Tarutaru high magic power/low HP. Roegadyn/Galka for high HP/Low MP.

In truth, it probably is going to impact jobs/classes far less than in FFXI, but in my own mind, I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Ruhyah
5th Jun 2013, 13:16
Have they posted this information on the race, its not on the official website. Or were these stats from 1.0? Be great to see them all for each race.

Paladin_Locke
5th Jun 2013, 13:18

I didn't dislike the way FFXI did it, but it was lame how a Galka wasn't really accepted by all as a Mage, and a Taru as a Tank.

I'm not sure about the server you were on, but when I made parties in FFXI, I loved Taru Paladins. More MP to heal themselves with, which also increased aggro per cast. Their extra MP for healing made it sort of balance out their low HP. Galka were just walls basically. I prefered Galka as NIN tanks because it didn't require MP, but it was good to have that high HP for when Utsu dropped.

As far as the other races go, they were pretty much even in terms of tanking. At least in my opinion.

Paladin_Locke
5th Jun 2013, 13:23
Have they posted this information on the race, its not on the official website. Or were these stats from 1.0? Be great to see them all for each race.

I did some reading since my last post, so I'll say what I've learned in that short time. Apparently, Yoshi-P said something about not making the races vary much in terms of stats. They might have one or two points higher in one stat than another race, but ultimately, he wants people to be able to play the race they most want to enjoy without letting stats decide it for them. I do know that at every level (physical level?) you get to place points of your own choosing into the stats you want to increase.

In short, choose the race you like visually or from a role-playing aspect. Don't let stats govern your decision.

Ruhyah
5th Jun 2013, 15:21
That was a good decision, as thats how most RPGs are....good I love the Miq's lol

Reaper83
5th Jun 2013, 15:37
ok so I was gonna go Gladitor Paladine but figured there will alreaady be alot of people playng that so I'm gonna go for lancer/dragoon cant wait for the samuri cuz I will become a samuri but not sure if I wanna be the big guy thinking he would look goofy using the jump ability considering hes huge so might go with the hume alot of people are probably going draggon as well hmmm lol I guess I'll see whats needed more PAL or DRA I think both classes would be a blast to play as hope I make it in the ps3 open beta so I can try out the classes and see what I want to be.

Reaper83
5th Jun 2013, 15:40
Well Im just trying to get peoples input I wanna see if theres gonna be more Paladines or dragoons that why I can decide what to play as I think both advanced classeswill be a blast to play but I wanna play as the one less played that way I dont have to try to fight to get in a group lol.

x3Noctis
5th Jun 2013, 16:11
Stats starts off different but it won't grow different. It's not like Pokemon. Haha, but yeah. Don't pick a race because of the stats. It's not much of a difference.

x3Noctis
5th Jun 2013, 16:19
Seeing as you can be whatever class/job you want. It doesn't really matter. However, there was a lot of Dragoons because of the way they look with their armor. If you want to get in groups more, be a Paladin, White Mage, or Bard.

Tank and Healer are mostly wanted. Bards are also wanted because of their support plays behind the team. They also do damage too.

x3Noctis
5th Jun 2013, 16:49
Arrgh! I was all set starting with a Conjurer but all your talk about Lancer makes me think I might be on the wrong track! :D

edit:

after some thought I think I'll start with two or three character/classes and make the one I like the most my main. After all I've already come up with names for seven chars! :p The alts can always do the bank alt or crafter duty.

Do you guys recommend trying FFXI to get a hang of the general system in the FF universe berfore XIV release - or is it a waste?

Just wait for the game. And it's a lot different compared to FFXI. And there's always a lot of people going Lancer - Dragoon cause of looks. But only a few people really stick to it cause Dragoons are kind of squishy.

I think it's better being a class/job that people need more in their team. :) That's why I'm going Paladin. <3 And cause they look awesome.

Reaper83
5th Jun 2013, 18:51
lol yea I was thinking PLA but I dont wanna try to find a group that needs one because I have a feeling there will be alot of people going for PLA

Reaper83
5th Jun 2013, 18:54
Thank you for the help I will go GLA then to PLA

Paladin_Locke
5th Jun 2013, 19:13
Arrgh! I was all set starting with a Conjurer but all your talk about Lancer makes me think I might be on the wrong track! :D

edit:

after some thought I think I'll start with two or three character/classes and make the one I like the most my main. After all I've already come up with names for seven chars! :p The alts can always do the bank alt or crafter duty.

Do you guys recommend trying FFXI to get a hang of the general system in the FF universe berfore XIV release - or is it a waste?

Stick with your original instincts. Gladiator/Paladin is a great way to go simply because it is a tank role. If you want to tank, you'll find parties much much faster. 90% of the time, tanks are what parties are always looking for. It's been this way in pretty much every MMO I've ever played. I'll be playing a Gladiator/Paladin too, but I'm saving that for when I'm playing alongside my girlfriend. The reason for that is so when we party together, we won't have to wait long.

Paladin_Locke
5th Jun 2013, 19:17
Seeing as you can be whatever class/job you want. It doesn't really matter. However, there was a lot of Dragoons because of the way they look with their armor. If you want to get in groups more, be a Paladin, White Mage, or Bard.

Tank and Healer are mostly wanted. Bards are also wanted because of their support plays behind the team. They also do damage too.

This^

As far as looks go, I actually think Paladin has the better look. I will indeed be playing a Dragoon though. I've loved the class since I played one in FFXI, but more than that, I like how they have aggro drops and pretty good damage. It just fits my play style.

x3Noctis
5th Jun 2013, 19:19
lol yea I was thinking PLA but I dont wanna try to find a group that needs one because I have a feeling there will be alot of people going for PLA

Only for those who can handle the damage decrease. Haha, Paladins aren't that strong. They're okay. The damage dealers are usually the most popular. Pugilists/Monks and Lancers/Dragoons.

Fubar4585
6th Jun 2013, 01:54
Hmmm. Hard choice. I almost always go for a DPS class in most MMOs I've played. I plan to go straight pally tank as well. First time I'll be a tank right off the bat. Now I'll have to cross my fingers that he will actually be made well and become useful. lol : )

Takeva
6th Jun 2013, 04:03
I want to master the whole Disciples of Magic for my female Hyur. Mainly Conjurer as her main focus will be healing. I use to be so afraid of being a healing class but now I completely love it! Just hope there will definitely be a variety of other types of outfits. Never really been fond of the White Mage's robes.

Oh I also want to make a Miqo'te Pugilist/Monk as an alt sometime later.

Can't wait >_< August seems so far away and I doubt I'll get into beta. *paces back and forth*

Reaper83
6th Jun 2013, 15:36
The warriorslook pretty strong are they DPS or Tank and would it be easy to get into a group being a warrior?

x3Noctis
6th Jun 2013, 16:00
The warriorslook pretty strong are they DPS or Tank and would it be easy to get into a group being a warrior?

Warriors are DPS types but they're a bit tanky. Paladins are the true tanks.

Paladin_Locke
6th Jun 2013, 16:25

Warriors are DPS types but they're a bit tanky. Paladins are the true tanks.

I think that the only straight DPS melee classes are Dragoon (which I am beyond excited to play) and Monk. Warriors I would describe as equal parts tank and DPS. They're versatile enough to be considered a go to melee class. I will agree that Paladin is the true tank class though, and probably the only other combat class I want to play as (I'm probably going to go nuts with all of the gathering/crafting jobs).

As far as choosing a Warrior goes, I'd say play it if you want a good DPS class that will off-tank in some situations. The possibility does exist for you to main tank if no Paladin is present.

Paladin_Locke
6th Jun 2013, 16:35
Hmmm. Hard choice. I almost always go for a DPS class in most MMOs I've played. I plan to go straight pally tank as well. First time I'll be a tank right off the bat. Now I'll have to cross my fingers that he will actually be made well and become useful. lol : )

I wouldn't worry too much about them making Paladin a good tank. Seeing as it is basically the only pure tank class in the game, they'll make sure it's done right. I can't say for most of the other classes, but think about the fact these classes have been balanced through TWO beta phases as a whole, and a few years fully implemented into play in 1.0, so I wouldn't worry.

Reaper83
6th Jun 2013, 18:32
What class would be easier to get group invites

Paladin_Locke
6th Jun 2013, 20:16
This is simply an educated guess, but since tanks are the most rare of all the roles, I would say Paladin will get you more group invitations. This isn't to say Warrior can't tank or won't get invites, but that Warriors (at least in my opinion) are more suited to off-tanking to give the main tank a moment to catch his/her breath. They also make a pretty good DPS.

x3Noctis
6th Jun 2013, 21:48
This is simply an educated guess, but since tanks are the most rare of all the roles, I would say Paladin will get you more group invitations. This isn't to say Warrior can't tank or won't get invites, but that Warriors (at least in my opinion) are more suited to off-tanking to give the main tank a moment to catch his/her breath. They also make a pretty good DPS.

Brett pretty much summed it all up.

Paladins will get into groups much more easily compared to Warriors. Tanks provide hate/aggro pull, defense buffs, heals, and all that good stuff to the team. Besides just tanking, a Paladin can make his team a little tanky which in turns makes it easier on the healer.

Fubar4585
7th Jun 2013, 00:32
LOL. I have a knack for doing the wrong thing with character building. Not sure why or how but I got skills when it comes to no skills. Still love to play though! : )

Paladin_Locke
7th Jun 2013, 09:06
LOL. I have a knack for doing the wrong thing with character building. Not sure why or how but I got skills when it comes to no skills. Still love to play though! : )

It's all good. Trial and error is always the best way to learn, so I would suggest that. Try some things out and see what works best. Make your own build and then check out builds other people are using, then try some out. This way you're gaining experience on how you best play your character. I've done this in almost every MMO I've played. Sometimes it takes a little bit longer than most to come into your own, but if you keep at it, you'll end up playing better than the better part of the population.

bigtakilla
7th Jun 2013, 13:19
Absolutely no one on here has talked about the Archer yet. Can someone tell me about this class, it's what I want to be (at least at this moment). What is the benefit of being this class, is he/she a higher DPS ranged? Really, just anything anyone knows about this class would be great.

Paladin_Locke
7th Jun 2013, 13:37
Absolutely no one on here has talked about the Archer yet. Can someone tell me about this class, it's what I want to be (at least at this moment). What is the benefit of being this class, is he/she a higher DPS ranged? Really, just anything anyone knows about this class would be great.

I'll just copy/paste what I read.

"Archers possess a situational awareness in combat which allows them to assault enemies from great range while simultaneously providing support to their companions.

Though weak at close range and limited by their quivers, an archer's expertise in positioning and arrow selection can easily determine the outcome of battle."

As you may already know, Archer becomes Bard. Bard is, at least from what I understand, mostly still an archer but with the ability to sing songs to suppost the party. Songs do things like increase accuracy or regenerate MP.

bigtakilla
7th Jun 2013, 13:40
Thanks man. I like the sound of that. Support and specialized arrows for killing enemies, I think that will be the class I choose.

x3Noctis
7th Jun 2013, 15:44

When the loadstone/FFXIV:ARR Official Forum gets a renewal. There be veterans from the previous games who would make guides. ALL KINDS. To help out the people that join the game. You can check them out after giving maybe 1 - 3 weeks since it's not easy making a guide. Maybe sooner if they decided to make the guide during fourth beta phase.

Llyendar
7th Jun 2013, 16:03
There is a graph break down on the Jobs/Classes played by percentage. I'd link it but I'm not entirely sure where it is myself, just that it exists as I have seen it. PLD and DRG both have a round a 10% or 15% play rate. The least played class is Warrior at 5%.

I myself will be playing a DRG. After taking DRG to 99 in FFXI and having to convince people to let me group with them just to convince them that DRG was a capable DD I am definitely taking advantage of the DRG in XIV being considered useful from the start.

member_10292472
7th Jun 2013, 23:39
Ok so I have a ?. I like the Idea of Dragoon class but not really into using a spear. So would it be feasable to use a sword. Not sure how well some of the skills would work with the change of weapon. I just remember playing Legends of Dragoon (love that game). I know the concept is quite a bit different but in that game they had different wepons. Sword, Spear, Bow, ect. Plan on trying it out eventually but wanted to see what others thought.

Thx

PSN: Cerious_-_

Fubar4585
8th Jun 2013, 03:30
Haven't given much thought to bard/archer but I gotta say it makes a great combo. Ranged DPS while using support for the whole group? Sounds like it will be a big hit with anyone who 'gives it a shot.' lol. Okay that was corny. : )

Paladin_Locke
8th Jun 2013, 08:07
Haven't given much thought to bard/archer but I gotta say it makes a great combo. Ranged DPS while using support for the whole group? Sounds like it will be a big hit with anyone who 'gives it a shot.' lol. Okay that was corny. : )

I would think that it would be the reverse of what you said. It sounds like a support class with a little bit of DPS. In groups, I would imagine other players not caring about the Ranged DPS nearly as much as the songs (Refresh?) to support tank and mages.

Llyendar
8th Jun 2013, 08:48
That won't work in FFXIV. Because in XIV your weapon is what determines your class/job. Equipping a spear or 'polearm' will change your class to lancer if you have unlocked dragoon you can also play as dragoon. While eqipping a greataxe would make you a marauder and a bow would make you an archer

Paladin_Locke
8th Jun 2013, 09:27
Ok so I have a ?. I like the Idea of Dragoon class but not really into using a spear. So would it be feasable to use a sword. Not sure how well some of the skills would work with the change of weapon. I just remember playing Legends of Dragoon (love that game). I know the concept is quite a bit different but in that game they had different wepons. Sword, Spear, Bow, ect. Plan on trying it out eventually but wanted to see what others thought.

Thx

PSN: Cerious_-_

You can't use a sword as a dragoon. Because of the armory system, you change your class when you change your weapon type. Being a dragoon and equiping a sword would change your class to that of a Gladiator/Paladin

bigtakilla
8th Jun 2013, 10:06
I agree with both of your points. but knowing you can (more than likely) do some real damage with specialized arrows (although limited by stock), and be the support of the group really makes the archer someone people will want in a group. Especially since it appears there aren't many people wanting to play that class due to the strategy it will take to make sure you have the special arrows made (or items used to make those in hand before you return to town after a quest) and in your inventory, understand what special equipment you'll need based off of the quest info when you take on a new quest, and the fact that it's more of a supportive role. I like a challenge though.

Reaper83
8th Jun 2013, 11:04
I plan on being a Warrior for the simple fact that I love being DPS/Tank so I can work both roles hoping people will give me a chance in groups I know PLA will get more invites but there are more people playing PLA then Warriors and Im not keen on having to get GLA to 30 then switching to CON to 15 just to be a PLA anyone have an input please feel free to post.

member_10292472
8th Jun 2013, 12:49
ok. Thx for your replys. wasnt sure how the whole class thing worked with the weapons. Was figuring it worked only with the spear, but was hoping not.lol will probly give it a try eventually. who knows i might love it.( but not my first choice).

Fubar4585
8th Jun 2013, 14:42
Oh yes. Most likely not a strong DPS class in comparison with dragoon or warrior. Givin how I phrased it, I didn't mean for it to sound like straight DPS. The supprot skills will be the highlight of the archer/bard for sure. I do wonder what will make it stand out in comparison to white mage for instance.

x3Noctis
8th Jun 2013, 18:27
You're kind of indecisive huh? You couldn't choose between Dragoon or Paladin, now you're switching to Warrior. I play many MMORPGS and from my experience, I think there's always a lack of Tanks/Healers. Cause in a group, say 5, you only need one healer, one tank. So that's basically 3 DPS. In a team of four, 1 tank, 1 healer, and the rest are DPS.

With the release of FFXIV, there was a lot more Warriors, Dragoons, and Black Mage compared to everything else. Some people even quit Paladin or White Mage because it was hard to solo and such.

So there is always lots of other groups who have enough DPS because a lot of players enjoy playing the DPS/DD classes. But remember, you can always switch classes and eventually near the end, you'll max out everything. There are lots of Legacy players who have done so.

And Warriors are subtanks, they can tank the not so crazy hard bosses but when it comes to the main ones, Paladins are a better tank. But yeah, play the class you love and enjoy. Experience other classes, sometimes you don't know what you like until you really try it out.

x3Noctis
8th Jun 2013, 18:38
Oh yes. Most likely not a strong DPS class in comparison with dragoon or warrior. Givin how I phrased it, I didn't mean for it to sound like straight DPS. The supprot skills will be the highlight of the archer/bard for sure. I do wonder what will make it stand out in comparison to white mage for instance.

I believe comparing Bard to White Mage is like comparing a Warrior to a Paladin. A warrior can tank but not as well as a Paladin. And likewise with Bard to White Mage with supporting.

However a Bard can't provide the best kind of support a White Mage can with certain bosses. For example if a White Mage can heal you for 5k over and over compared to a Bard who can only heal you for 2k, then the boss doing 3k will eventually destroy the team. But if the boss is only doing 1k and the Bard is healing for 2k, then it doesn't matter who's supporting since both roles are suitable. But the bosses that do that much damage are more suited to White Mage who can also do more than just healing. However having both in the same team is awesome.

Having 2 White Mage is also nice too but in raids/instances and such, people try to have different classes so loots can be applied fairly with no competition.

member_10545059
8th Jun 2013, 19:45
I'd suggest trying out all the ones you are interested in right away. make a little quick money with the first class, build it a few levels, and then use the money you made to buy your next class' starting weapon. Play what you want to play, and don't worry about "the trends".

I ran a lot of the end-game content in 1.0. There were a lot of times when we used 2 tanks (end-game content had 8 person parties). Warriors are usually that second or both. Some people have preferences where you won't get into certain parties. Most of the time that class won't be accepted as a dps class, simply because they are a tank. In my linkshell we would use either pld or war. Just depended on who we had and if that person could keep hate.

It's a fun class. I consider it the 2nd best for solo farming. (Conjurer was 1st. Not white mage, but conjurer had the attack power of a thaumaturge and the healing/buffing power of white mage) It's also my 2nd choice for parties after bard. But, 2.0, will probably be a completely different game.

Quick tip: i don't know if it'll be the same, but accuracy was a big issue for Marauder and Lancer. Early on, like around level 15, you could end up dying from missing your attacks too much. Eat some accuracy food and get some acc rings to counter that, if things are still like that in ARR.

member_10545059
8th Jun 2013, 20:01
This could all change come ARR, but in 1.0 we never brought a bard in a group for healing. Paladin had the 2nd best healing abilities. Dragoon and Monk could self heal for more than what a bard could heal. Thaumaturge had better healing than bard as well. You brought a second white mage in the pt if you drastically needed more heals.

Bards you brought for the songs, the extra raise and the extra stoneskin when the white mage was outside of range. Ballad of Magi ( mp regen), Minuet of Rigor (physical acc) and Paeon of War (TP regen) far outweighed whatever dps they could do. Their job was to make sure the other dps didn't have to slow down too much.

Paladin_Locke
9th Jun 2013, 00:05
This could all change come ARR, but in 1.0 we never brought a bard in a group for healing. Paladin had the 2nd best healing abilities. Dragoon and Monk could self heal for more than what a bard could heal. Thaumaturge had better healing than bard as well. You brought a second white mage in the pt if you drastically needed more heals.

Bards you brought for the songs, the extra raise and the extra stoneskin when the white mage was outside of range. Ballad of Magi ( mp regen), Minuet of Rigor (physical acc) and Paeon of War (TP regen) far outweighed whatever dps they could do. Their job was to make sure the other dps didn't have to slow down too much.

This is exactly what I was thinking. Since I was never in 1.0 I can't say for sure, but I hear Bards got a lot of hate. I can see how they would be useful in some situations, like raid groups where the songs could buff a lot of people. I just can't see one having a place in every smaller group. That isn't to say they wouldn't be useful in smaller groups, only that it isn't always a MUST for every group.

On a side note, I have sort of noticed how melee DPS seems to be a little more useful in this game. The only ranged classes being the bard & mages. It's sort of nice to see. I get really sick of seeing "LFM rDPS" in every damn game.

bigtakilla
9th Jun 2013, 00:06
I think it's obvious you don't bring a bard for healing, but you do bring one to increase defence, attack, magic, and skill regen ability (all of which I READ ONLY was going to be the job of the bard according to the FFXIV ARR wiki). Though it's dumb for me to take my info just from that page, would be a great way to balance classes.

member_10537451
9th Jun 2013, 14:02
I'm going to be making a Mi'qote because my GF wants to be a kitty. I juts hope there is a male version available on release LOL.

I really like the idea of the Bard, Versatility and movement have always been one of my favorite playstyles. Hit and Run and always keep you opponent guessing. On the other hand i've always been a healer. So i'll be maxing a White mage first and then playing around with the Bard to see if they are viable as a Healing/support toon by themselves, or if it'll be necessary to pair them with a straight White mage healer.

Onslaught_
10th Jun 2013, 01:20
I wish they had a job like the Dark Knight from FFXI. I loved swinging that big ol' scythe for big numbers and making the tanks sweat bullets trying to keep the hate! Being able to sling a little magic was cool too, but the elemental stuff was a joke. The dark magic was pretty slick. I was one of the few to run a samurai sub-job almost exclusively on my Dark Knight. I also refused to use anything but a scythe. Good times watching parties pass me by because I wouldn't be a cookie cutter dark or downplay my damage for a pitiful tank. (read as Ninja tank)

For now I think the closest thing to a DPS that can do spike damage would be the Dragoon. I personally prefer the warrior on looks and weapon, but I don't want to tank. I'm all about raw melee damage.

member_10459917
10th Jun 2013, 02:14
Due to my experiences in FFXI, I'm trying to avoid races that specialize in certain things like Elezen/Elvaan high melee power/low accuracy. Lalafel/Tarutaru high magic power/low HP. Roegadyn/Galka for high HP/Low MP.

In truth, it probably is going to impact jobs/classes far less than in FFXI, but in my own mind, I'd rather be safe than sorry.

In XIV when you level up (after lv10) you are awarded your own attribute points to put wherever you desire. This is for each class! So if you want to be a Lalafell PLD (me) you won't have to be worried about a low HP value, as you can put as many points into VIT as you see fit.

The same could be said about a Roegadyn BLM. No longer would they necessarily have a lower MP value than other races. It all depends on where the player decides to put their attributes. I really -really- like this change from XI. And this is for each class! So if I bomb a bunch of points into STR for my MNK for instance, I dont have to worry about my WHM having a ton of wasted attributes on STR, as when WHM lvls up it will gain it's own attributes to distribute!

That being said, I'm not entirely positive that all races are created equal stat-wise. Such as a Lv1 Lalafell GLD compared to a Lv1 Elezen GLD. Even if the starting stats are not static between all races, the difference will be negligible.

This allows you to play the race that fits your personality best, rather than your job wants. Even with the old (XI) system, you would see plenty of badass Taru PLD/MNK or Galka SMN/BLM etc ^^ But I still much prefer this flexible system. No two players will have the same stats!

See you in Eorza,

Emm ^^/

Paladin_Locke
10th Jun 2013, 02:16
I wish they had a job like the Dark Knight from FFXI. I loved swinging that big ol' scythe for big numbers and making the tanks sweat bullets trying to keep the hate! Being able to sling a little magic was cool too, but the elemental stuff was a joke. The dark magic was pretty slick. I was one of the few to run a samurai sub-job almost exclusively on my Dark Knight. I also refused to use anything but a scythe. Good times watching parties pass me by because I wouldn't be a cookie cutter dark or downplay my damage for a pitiful tank. (read as Ninja tank)

For now I think the closest thing to a DPS that can do spike damage would be the Dragoon. I personally prefer the warrior on looks and weapon, but I don't want to tank. I'm all about raw melee damage.

You sound a lot like me. I played a DRK/SAM in FFXI too. I pretty much refused to sub THF like everyone wanted me to. NIN tanks were pretty much a joke in the aggro department anyway, but with me in the group, even the PLD tanks had a hard time. I played a PLD too so I know how well they can hold onto the aggro.

Just to inform you, but there are quite a few classes/jobs that are going to be implemented into FFXIV in the future at some point. I did hear that Dark Knight was among them. If I can find where I read that, I'll post the link in this thread. Someone told me that Samurai would also be coming in at some point. Either way, I can't wait to roll up a lancer when I get into the game the first time!

SofaKingGood
10th Jun 2013, 12:44
I was thinking of running Archer/Bard, but from what Im reading it may be hard to find a party. I may give Marauder/Warrior a try just to be different, but it sounds like the game is going to be flooded with Gladiator/Paladin and Lancer/Dragoon

member_10459917
10th Jun 2013, 17:47
I was thinking of running Archer/Bard, but from what Im reading it may be hard to find a party. I may give Marauder/Warrior a try just to be different, but it sounds like the game is going to be flooded with Gladiator/Paladin and Lancer/Dragoon

If I had my choice of a WAR or a BRD to fill a DD role for my party, I would choose the BRD. A WAR just smashes things with a GA - a BRD buffs the entire party while doing -ranged- dmg. Not that there is anything wrong with WAR, just BRD is much more versitile. I don't see any problem finding a group as one.

Paladin_Locke
10th Jun 2013, 18:43

If I had my choice of a WAR or a BRD to fill a DD role for my party, I would choose the BRD. A WAR just smashes things with a GA - a BRD buffs the entire party while doing -ranged- dmg. Not that there is anything wrong with WAR, just BRD is much more versitile. I don't see any problem finding a group as one.

Sadly, Bard is only versatile until you get into a group for a serious event. As in most games, when you play a certain class, you have certain things expected of you. Bard won't be any different. You'll be asked to run support in pretty much every group event. So, yes, it may be versatile in solo mode, I doubt you'll see any versatility in group content.

Onslaught_
10th Jun 2013, 19:12

You sound a lot like me. I played a DRK/SAM in FFXI too. I pretty much refused to sub THF like everyone wanted me to. NIN tanks were pretty much a joke in the aggro department anyway, but with me in the group, even the PLD tanks had a hard time. I played a PLD too so I know how well they can hold onto the aggro.

Just to inform you, but there are quite a few classes/jobs that are going to be implemented into FFXIV in the future at some point. I did hear that Dark Knight was among them. If I can find where I read that, I'll post the link in this thread. Someone told me that Samurai would also be coming in at some point. Either way, I can't wait to roll up a lancer when I get into the game the first time!

That's be awesome if they did the Dark Knight again. I know it will work differently, but if they have the right idea going in I am hopeful. If you find that info I'd love to see a link.

Thanks. It's always good to see another Dark Knight fan!

member_10459917
10th Jun 2013, 21:46
Sadly, Bard is only versatile until you get into a group for a serious event. As in most games, when you play a certain class, you have certain things expected of you. Bard won't be any different. You'll be asked to run support in pretty much every group event. So, yes, it may be versatile in solo mode, I doubt you'll see any versatility in group content.

Of course BRD will be expected to support the party, it's what they excell at. The point is they will be supporting -and- doing dmg; WAR is just doing dmg. How is this not more versatile?

Judging by the recently released Job Actions trailer, BRD will still be dealing dmg whilst supporting with songs.

Riovane
10th Jun 2013, 21:55

Only for those who can handle the damage decrease. Haha, Paladins aren't that strong. They're okay. The damage dealers are usually the most popular. Pugilists/Monks and Lancers/Dragoons.

While many may start Paladin the dedicated will remain. Most will get bored and pursue the popular full DPS- Lancer or Dragoon. Be good at what you do, you'll be very welcome after the weak are weeded out.

x3Noctis
10th Jun 2013, 22:10

While many may start Paladin the dedicated will remain. Most will get bored and pursue the popular full DPS- Lancer or Dragoon. Be good at what you do, you'll be very welcome after the weak are weeded out.

It always happens. xD

Paladin_Locke
10th Jun 2013, 23:14

Of course BRD will be expected to support the party, it's what they excell at. The point is they will be supporting -and- doing dmg; WAR is just doing dmg. How is this not more versatile?

Judging by the recently released Job Actions trailer, BRD will still be dealing dmg whilst supporting with songs.

What you say could be true. We won't know for sure until it happens. I just think that Bard will be using songs and support spells mostly. I'm not sure if there will be enough time to DPS in groups. This is just my thoughts on it though. Don't let me sway in into not using it. It could truly be awesome for all I know.

ArmordudE
14th Jun 2013, 17:21
i started ffxiv arr and started as pugilist. i want to lvl gladiator also. i bought a sword but it says i need to unlock gladiator but how do i unlock it?

member_10249137
14th Jun 2013, 17:45
I've not played yet but I believe to unlock advance jobs you must level the primary related job to 30 and secondary job to 15.

For instance to be dragoon you must have lancer 30 pugilist 15...

member_10189748
14th Jun 2013, 19:42
For version 1.0, Glad was a starting class, eventually pairing with the pld job (with conj as the lol 15 req). Should just equip sword and then you're a glad... Dunno how it has changed 'cause this legacy CE/1.0 beta tester/PS3 applied tester from both FFIII and redone new applicant hasn't received his key yet...

ArmordudE
14th Jun 2013, 20:21
ok thanks. was a little curious about how it was working.

HF.f1Aw
17th Jun 2013, 16:00
Something bothers me. Why the hell are the requirements to switch jobs so not matching with the classes you need to level. for example to be a white mage your character must be a lvl 30 conjourer and a lvl 15 gladiator. wtf does being a gladiator have to do with being a white mage. likewise a black mage must be a lvl 30 black mage and a lvl 15 Pugilist.. does anyone else see any problems with this or is it just me?

UndefeatedIrish
17th Jun 2013, 17:29
Where'd you find the job requirements?

x3Noctis
17th Jun 2013, 17:40
I think the requirements are simple. If you're going to be a mage of any sort, you're going to need to do physical damage every now and then. A gladiator uses one hand and a shield so if a white mage uses any type of physical combat, it'll make sense for them to use that style of combat.

And I guess the pugilist for the Black Mage is variety.

HF.f1Aw
17th Jun 2013, 18:00
lol what black mage is going to punch monsters

Hanzou87
21st Jun 2013, 19:09
Wondering about other jobs and adv jobs? Like thief, rdm, blu, sam, nin and so on. If they're gonna merge them into one class like the default ones.

demyxx
23rd Jun 2013, 13:23
All I know is the next ones coming up are Ninja, Samurai and I bet Musketeer.

I dunno how they will do the merge crap tbh.

ninjamanface
23rd Jun 2013, 13:35
Ninja and Samurai sound sexy

Atma-Weapon
23rd Jun 2013, 13:37
My only current interest is in the Dark Knight class, otherwise Dragoon has me hooked.

oZZUNA
23rd Jun 2013, 13:41

I am doing what I did in XI, monk until samurai is released and then samurai ftw!!!!

oZZUNA
23rd Jun 2013, 13:41

Paladin_Locke
23rd Jun 2013, 15:00
Oh dear lord not Ninja again :(

All I have of that job are memories of having it forced on me to sub for like 99.9% of all FFXI jobs. If it really has to be added to FFXIV, please don't make it a necessity to do anything again. Being forced to level it to 37 (when the level cap was still 75) was SOOOOO irritating.

On a side note, woo hoo! Samurai >.>

tejas73er
28th Jun 2013, 11:34
I don't have beta access but to those that do, someone should post up some video of the magic using classes in action after this beta weekend. I'm not sure how the game/beta works but I really want to see some more black mage stuff. If anyone knows where I can find some footage, by all means point me in the right direction.

Hysteria97
28th Jun 2013, 11:38
Video is not permitted, due to the NDA. Sorry. Screen caps are permitted, however.

tejas73er
28th Jun 2013, 11:39
Video is not permitted, due to the NDA. Sorry. Screen caps are permitted, however.

oh ok. I mean there is already video out there and I don't really know how they enforce NDA but I will take whatever I can get. Thanks for the response.

Hysteria97
28th Jun 2013, 11:44
No problem. Most of the video you've probably seen floating around on Youtube is either v1.0 or official trailers from SE.

Nicrox
4th Jul 2013, 20:00
I was reading a few write ups on GAMEBREAKER TV and a new FF14 write was posted

www.gamebreaker.tv/mmorpg/ffxiv-thaumatu... (http://www.gamebreaker.tv/mmorpg/ffxiv-thaumaturge-class-breakdown/)

Enjoy

Reaper83
7th Jul 2013, 20:50
ok so after playing around with a few classes in phase3 I decided to go Lancer I really enjoy the class so I will have to fight a little more to get into parties but at least I'll have fun

Morgue101
7th Jul 2013, 21:12
ok so after playing around with a few classes in phase3 I decided to go Lancer I really enjoy the class so I will have to fight a little more to get into parties but at least I'll have fun

That's the class I decided on too...fun class to play I must say! Can't wait till release so I can go dragoon lol

darkskyguy
8th Jul 2013, 04:18
Go Lancers!

gameover2499
8th Jul 2013, 04:30
Yea i agree ive been playing with a glad but i want my main to be a lancer once phase 4 starts cause i think dragoons are just play awesome, kain anyone lol.

Fubar4585
8th Jul 2013, 05:41

That's the class I decided on too...fun class to play I must say! Can't wait till release so I can go dragoon lol

Well as long as your in a party/dungeon etc, you'll be a dragoon. Solo is class only viability. Glad you enjoyed yourself! See you next weekend or open beta.

gameover2499
8th Jul 2013, 05:56
while we are on the subject for classes what is everyones point of view on the bard class.

ExHumor
8th Jul 2013, 13:19
I can't say I've decided on my class yet, there's probably still more to come like there was with FF 11, such as the Ninja, Blue Mage, Dark Knight, etc.

For now, I don't particularly favor any class. The goal in Final Fantasy 14 seems to be simple; level all classes. In doing so, it matters not on what a party "wants", as you'll always be fit for any situation or outcome.

I personally enjoy melee classes myself, but, if it becomes a problem later on finding parties for certain dungeons, at least I'll always have an option, or work around to find a party.

Reaper83
8th Jul 2013, 15:27
Well in FFXI I was a DRA/SAM and I never had a problem finding a party

member_10552361
8th Jul 2013, 18:00
So which class will you be playing on release and why?

I found GLD to be boring but i love to tank, so I'm definitely leaning toward Marauder. Also Dragoon seems very seductive. What about yourselves?

member_10214938
8th Jul 2013, 18:22
I'm really wanting to play a black mage. Im assuming its prolly a dps class. But marauder looked freakin sweet for tank. Also archer is appealing to me.

member_10214938
8th Jul 2013, 18:23
So which class will you be playing on release and why?

I found GLD to be boring but i love to tank, so I'm definitely leaning toward Marauder. Also Dragoon seems very seductive. What about yourselves?

If playing on ps3 my tag is homeskilletbb :)

FoxtailDustR
8th Jul 2013, 18:32
Definitly feeling the Archer. And I like the Bard. So that may be my first route before doing a heavy Melee attacker.

Reaper83
8th Jul 2013, 18:37
Lancer all the way I found lancer to be a fun class I like dps classes

member_10654382
8th Jul 2013, 19:19
I hate to say it but I'm having such a hard time choosing. All the classes are so much fun that I keep flip-flopping.

member_10197357
8th Jul 2013, 19:40
At release I'll be playing ACN!

member_10571521
8th Jul 2013, 22:01
Always a fan of tanking, so the GLD seems right for me. Although that Dragoon is mighty tempting...

Paladin_Locke
8th Jul 2013, 22:17
I'll be going Lancer with no regrets. Of course, if there was a Dark Knight job in the game, I'd be playing whatever classes lead up to it. I'll also dabble in GLD, MRD and PUG to help supplement my LNC/DRG class. I think I've earned my right to play as a DPS though. I ran as a tank pretty much all 6 years I played FFXI. I'd like to avoid tanking again if it can be helped.

beelake
8th Jul 2013, 22:57
There is no way i can go against an archer, ranged dps always has been my favorite and im looking towards Archer in Arenas.

icyblade16
9th Jul 2013, 02:16
All of them and try all of them.Every time new mmo comes first weeks what i do is check every class and then judge what i do later on :p

WoolySkywalker
9th Jul 2013, 10:15
I'll be playing as a LNC, so I can become a Dragoon. I'm probably going to do some GLD, CNJ, MRD, so I can use some other abilities with my LNC. The 2nd will be a GLD/PLD. I've never tanked before, but I think it would be alot of fun.

Andryste
9th Jul 2013, 11:54
I will be making 3 characters so that I can have every class without to much grinding. I can't wait to try the Arcanist! I want my carbunkle, that adoriable ball of cuteness ^_^

member_10770603
9th Jul 2013, 12:59
I'm so torn between all of the classes... I've been thinking about which class I'm gonna start with for about a month and a half and I still don't know yet!!

Reaper83
9th Jul 2013, 15:28
I will have 3 characters as well first will be LNC/DRA then GLD/PLD and maybe a magic class I want to use a black mage

GoJapanese
9th Jul 2013, 16:50
if ninja is in release i will chose that class or job

lalaloca
9th Jul 2013, 19:25
i've started out with the lancer, and lovin it! so i think i'll start out with the lancer and branch out into other classes eventually.

cenie
9th Jul 2013, 23:16
I'm really looking towards Black mage, White mage, and Monk.. so I'll probably give the classes that corelate to those first.

member_10768975
10th Jul 2013, 01:46
On release Im gonna play Cnj and get to whitemage then get the arcanist up to summoner so I can have a dps and healing class while healing will be my main thing

gameover2499
10th Jul 2013, 04:24
i really want to be a dragoon but i am curious to how good a summoner and a bard will be.

JonSHouse
10th Jul 2013, 04:42
I'm torn between Marauder and Dragoon, I've played a bit of each in the Beta I haven't found Dragoon quite as fun as the Marauder but I don't really want to play as a tank.... So we'll see, I'll probably end up switching between the two.

Khal-Drogo
9th Aug 2013, 20:51
LOL, I'm feeling the same way, been hard to decide but I've got it down between the Archer and the GLD........but LNC looks good as well..Uggg....

njdarkstar
9th Aug 2013, 23:57
Ive been playing MMOs since Vanilla WoW. Played every role possible, Tank, Healer, Melee and ranged DPS. Being my fav char from any series (Kain from FFII/FFIV) I'm going for dragoon. Besides the novelty of playing the same job as my fav char, its the mix of ranged and melee DPS that Ive seen from this class that intrigues me the most. So on start up, I'll be a lancer also. Maybe pursue CONJ later on (for white mage) again, my fav role was healing.

Ryulonius
10th Aug 2013, 00:06
I'm so torn between all of the classes... I've been thinking about which class I'm gonna start with for about a month and a half and I still don't know yet!!

I'm kinda in the same page and wondered, if it's possible to create one character to do few classes: I'd like a one character=lancer/armorer/black smith and then move into the dragoon job.

I mean i was in the ARMY/soldier, and now i'm in 2 different industry=food+medical.

Nimzar
11th Aug 2013, 23:26
Hiyas everyone. I am hoping to get in on phase 4 beta if they actually do it on the 17th otherwise I will be in on opening day. Hope to see everyone there. Unsure of which class I will prolly be the nice guy and make a healer first

My PSN is Nimzar.

OutlawGamer
13th Aug 2013, 05:27
Im thinking about working towards being a Paladin!

Haha, ive always steered clear of anything healer related but I think itd be fun considering FF treats their jobs and classes traditionally to FF right?

What do you think? Also I heard Yoshida say hes thinking bout the old samurai job again so thatd be shweeeeeet.

Snooker79
13th Aug 2013, 15:40
Archer/Bard first then Pugilist/Monk
The reason for the first is because I enjoy ranged classes and support classes and archer/bard has all that in one.
The reason for the second is because I will be playing a Lalafel so I just have to make a Lalafel pugilist/monk for the awesome factor.

kirai07
18th Aug 2013, 11:02
Comment below~ :D

Pugilish.

Emisys
18th Aug 2013, 11:10
Pugilist got my attention first, but I'm still chosing between lancer or pugi. Since theyre both DPS ^^'

Roguekitty
18th Aug 2013, 11:57
Conjurer :D

kirai07
18th Aug 2013, 12:11
Personally. I was hoping there's a thread for us to talk about our classes so we can share abit of information every class....

kirai07
21st Aug 2013, 18:33
Say if we reach lvl 50. What make us different from other players with the same Class?
The only difference would be the skill rotation but other than that, We all have the same skills with the same buffs. Am I right to say this?

CryXis4
21st Aug 2013, 18:51
Attribute points will make or break the character probably.

Falconreaver
21st Aug 2013, 19:03
yea, during the beta i decided not to use my attribute points until i decided in which way i want to build it

kirai07
21st Aug 2013, 19:52
mahiko wrote:
1) Cross-class skill choices 2) Stat Allocation choices 3) Gear choices 4) Materia slot choices === in PvE === 1) Your groups strategy, emergent niche builds for certain encounters === in PvP === Your composition and strategy as a team will directly affect your stats and playstyle. A Bard built purely for burst damage will differ wildly from a bard who wishes to play the long game and outlive burst, eventually taking down opponents. Example: <span style=”text-decoration: underline;”>PvP Team 1</span> BRD + LNC + LNC Two lancers and bard attempt to zerg one guy down for it to be a 2v3. The bard will gear/stat/materia for DEX>CRIT>Determination <span style=”text-decoration: underline;”>PvP Team 2</span> BRD + WHM + PLD Outlast the enemy and win in a war of attrition. The bard will gear /stat / materia for DEX/VIT/MND. Team 1 now faces a hard choice = who to focus? BRD or WHM? Focus bard? Sticking to the bard in this situation might be tough, especially with WHM pushback and PLD cover. Burst the WHM? The bard and paladin can help heal/shield the WHM (who stacked vit), once their TP and cooldowns are gone, the attrition team beats them. If the burst team succeeds – they easily win a 3v2. this is just a theoretical answer, but there are many ways to separate yourself from everyone else. Player Skill and Ingenuity are the largest factors.

Got my answer from ffxivguild(dot)com

Kiritos
22nd Aug 2013, 01:17
Wanted to see what peoples first thoughts were going into the go live! I'm yet to make up my own mind but I thought maybe with this forum post it'll help me decide along with others!!!

Kiritos

Kiritos
22nd Aug 2013, 01:20
I'm leaning towards an Archer or a Gladiator to be a paladin. Played a paladin tank for 5 years in WOW but maybe a time for a change...hmmm....

Amcathra
22nd Aug 2013, 01:22
I'm playing a Duskwight Elezen Archer (Bard in the future), but will also take up the paladin job.

Mashr2010
22nd Aug 2013, 01:27
I'll be playing as a Miqo'te Keeper of the Moon, I'm torn between sticking with Archer and focusing on Arcanist however. I've always loved Archer classes, but I've also equally loved pet classes. It's torture deciding which one I want first! I'll probably stick with Bard since there will be less of a crowd that way, the Arcanist being as popular as it is right now.

Arkavius
22nd Aug 2013, 02:01
I'm going with White Mage.
Considering I'm an avid healer -It's what I enjoy doing.

Mashr2010
22nd Aug 2013, 02:03
I'm going with White Mage.
Considering I'm an avid healer -It's what I enjoy doing.

That's also why I'm torn with the Arcanist and Archer XD I love healing in groups as well, so Scholar is right up my alley seeing as it's a Pet class and also a healing class XD

Ravittsu
22nd Aug 2013, 02:10
Ill be sticking with glad most probably. ive heard some good things about arcanist..
scratch that ill play as EVERYTHING CANNOT WAIT FOR EA :P

Mashr2010
22nd Aug 2013, 02:11
Ill be sticking with glad most probably. ive heard some good things about arcanist..
scratch that ill play as EVERYTHING CANNOT WAIT FOR EA :P

My plan eventually, but want to focus on one class first, person preference and all that :D Though if you really wanna have fun (unless they nerfed this) play as an Arcanist and join up with 3 other Arcanist's to run the first three dungeons, it's a blast :D

AngelPhoenix77
22nd Aug 2013, 02:14
time to focus on something good instead of focusing on what's happing with my preorder.
im going elf monk/dragoon until ninja is the game :)

Mashr2010
22nd Aug 2013, 02:23
There's so many good classes and jobs in this game, lets just say that I won't stop playing this game until I get EVERYTHING up to level 50 (aside from maybe Culinarian, I'm adverse to cooking in real life and that seems to have carried into every MMO I've ever played! :D )

jester3993
22nd Aug 2013, 02:29
I will have two characters:

1. If I feel the need to heal a party, nuke some lost lambs, or terrorize the neighbors' dog, my Lalafell got that covered.

2. If I'm in the mood to flip the digital world on its' back and basically just OMGHULKSMASH, my Roegadyn can handle that.

I may even give them similar or matching names to further fit the Dr.Jekyll/Mr.Hyde thing.

Mashr2010
22nd Aug 2013, 02:31
I will have two characters:

1. If I feel the need to heal, nuke, or terrorize the neighbors' dog, my Lalafell got that covered.

2. If I'm in the mood to flip the digital world on its' back and basically just OMGHULKSMASH, my Roegadyn can handle that.

I may even give them similar or matching names to further fit the Dr.Jekyll/Mr.Hyde thing.

I do have to say, I hope your neighbor's dog is small, otherwise your Lala might end up as a mid day snack for it :P

Ravittsu
22nd Aug 2013, 03:09
My plan eventually, but want to focus on one class first, person preference and all that :D Though if you really wanna have fun (unless they nerfed this) play as an Arcanist and join up with 3 other Arcanist's to run the first three dungeons, it's a blast :D

haha i heard arc where op can someone explain how? i have to yet play as a mage type..
i will b focusing on conjurer once i have lv30 glad

Mashr2010
22nd Aug 2013, 03:12
haha i heard arc where op can someone explain how? i have to yet play as a mage type..
i will b focusing on paladin once i have lv30 glad

It's more of the fact that they're less OP and more that people need to remember to summon their Emerald Carbuncle in dungeon groups instead of keeping their Topaz Carbuncle out. Pet classes are better at solo content generally, due to their pet taking care of things. We have yet to see how they perform in higher level content, due to the level 20 cap that was in place during Open Beta.

However, running a dungeon with 4 Arcanists, all with our Topaz Carbuncles summoned and just using Bio/Miasma while keeping our Carbuncles healed allowed us to clear the three starting dungeons with relative ease. :D

Silvyrmist
22nd Aug 2013, 03:21
Seeing as I've only pretty much seen gridania and lvd this BP a conj to 15 and last BP an archer to about the same, because I work most weekends. I haven't gotten a huge grasp on all the class dynamics yet so I'll experiment a bit. But I like healing in mmo's so i'll probably focus on getting to White Mage first on my Mi'qote and probably archer>bard 2nd and eventually max everything. Then see where I go from there while maxing out crafting/gathering classes, because being able to make gear as you lv up is very useful to me.

Mashr2010
22nd Aug 2013, 03:24
Seeing as I've only pretty much seen gridania and lvd this BP a conj to 15 and last BP an archer to about the same, because I work most weekends. I haven't gotten a huge grasp on all the class dynamics yet so I'll experiment a bit. But I like healing in mmo's so i'll probably focus on getting to White Mage first on my Mi'qote and probably archer>bard 2nd and eventually max everything. Then see where I go from there while maxing out crafting/gathering classes, because being able to make gear as you lv up is very useful to me.

Don't forget to get some spirit binding on gear you make so you can later convert it into Materia! :D

View_Ryuuzoku
22nd Aug 2013, 04:14
Every MMO I've played I've been the Tank class. This time my plan is to ultimately master white mage and monk.

Ravittsu
22nd Aug 2013, 04:14
Don't forget to get some spirit binding on gear you make so you can later convert it into Materia! :D

damn there is still so much for me to learn. like materia/// may i ask how it works?
and the carbuncle pet. i only received the airship. how did u obtain the carbuncle pet?

Mashr2010
22nd Aug 2013, 04:22
damn there is still so much for me to learn. like materia/// may i ask how it works?
and the carbuncle pet. i only received the airship. how did u obtain the carbuncle pet?

Carbuncle is a combat pet that you can only have playing the Arcanist class. It's the Arcanist's main form of dealing damage. The airship is classified as a minion, and is merely cosmetic.

Materia, once you reach level 19, you will receive a quest that will teach you how to make Materia from gear. Once you get gear spirit bound 100%, most gear will be able to be converted into materia. After leveling a Crafting class to level 19 you will be able to get another quest that allows you to meld Materia, which allows you add bonus stats to gear with Materia slots in them (It will show green circles on the gear stats tooltip). There is a cap to the amount of stats that can be added to gear, the cap varies by the level of gear and the stats you are trying to add to the gear using materia. Basically, it's this games form of enchanting or adding gems to gear to increase it's stats.

Ravittsu
22nd Aug 2013, 05:25
Carbuncle is a combat pet that you can only have playing the Arcanist class. It's the Arcanist's main form of dealing damage. The airship is classified as a minion, and is merely cosmetic.

Materia, once you reach level 19, you will receive a quest that will teach you how to make Materia from gear. Once you get gear spirit bound 100%, most gear will be able to be converted into materia. After leveling a Crafting class to level 19 you will be able to get another quest that allows you to meld Materia, which allows you add bonus stats to gear with Materia slots in them (It will show green circles on the gear stats tooltip). There is a cap to the amount of stats that can be added to gear, the cap varies by the level of gear and the stats you are trying to add to the gear using materia. Basically, it's this games form of enchanting or adding gems to gear to increase it's stats.

ah this explains it perfectly ty mashr

Mashr2010
22nd Aug 2013, 05:28
ah this explains it perfectly ty mashr

You're welcome! If you have any other questions feel free to PM me on here (I'm heading to bed, it's 1:30am here and I have work in the morning >_> ) and I'll attempt to answer to the best of my ability! You can also direct other people you see with questions you don't know the answer to to do the same (Final Fantasy XIV related questions at least)

TRU-_-LY-YOURS
22nd Aug 2013, 05:40
MAGE, two reasons. He looks tight and has the most powerful move , (METEOR) nuff said.

YuriSensen
22nd Aug 2013, 05:44
I went with the Pugilist Miqo'te. Planning to branch off with Dragoon as my secondary though.

alexpn
22nd Aug 2013, 05:52
I've always been a melee kinda guy, but recently i fell inlove with the archer's class.
but seeing you guys talking about barb as 2nd for archer, that raises question in me. where do we obtain/gain barb as 2nd for archer?
because i ran around in beta lvl 20 archer but i can't find the barb school anywhere. can anyone please let me know so i can get the idea where to jump with my archer once EA start.. tyvm in advance XD

Mashr2010
22nd Aug 2013, 05:55
I've always been a melee kinda guy, but recently i fell inlove with the archer's class.
but seeing you guys talking about barb as 2nd for archer, that raises question in me. where do we obtain/gain barb as 2nd for archer?
because i ran around in beta lvl 20 archer but i can't find the barb school anywhere. can anyone please let me know so i can get the idea where to jump with my archer once EA start.. tyvm in advance XD

After getting Archer to level 30, and a specific other class to 15 (in the Bard case my best guess would be Conjurer as the second class) you will get a quest, I believe titled A Relic Reborn, that will allow you to get the item needed to become a Bard. There are no guilds associated with job classes (Bard, Paladin, Warrior, Scholar, Summoner, Monk, White Mage, Black Mage and Dragoon are all the job classes currently in game) and you obtain them all from quests linked to specific starting classes getting level 30 with another specific second class reaching level 15.

SGT_Lightning
22nd Aug 2013, 06:30
Miqo'te, Keeper of the Sun, Gladiator.

I'm an old school hack and slasher. Love going in for the kill, hit 'em hard, hit 'em fast and never let them see you coming. I figured if I played my cards right, I could be quick and nimble on my feet with high agility and hit 'em where it hurts hard with strength to back up the speed to back off quickly. Though I typically enjoy solo playing, I've been the heavy hitter in raids past on other MMOs just because I revel in the thrill of the kill. A little sadistic perhaps, but as a female, I assume it's not nearly as creepy... xD

Not to mention I find tails quite alluring. Oh and ears. Ears too. :)

Callico
22nd Aug 2013, 07:54
I want to play all the classes/jobs for sure and maybe even get them all to max level, but the classes/jobs that looks the most fun to me are white mage and botanist. :D

I always enjoy healing the most in MMOs (not that I dislike dealing DPS or tanking though), and I absolutely love the idea of running around in this beautiful world and enjoying nature so the botanist class also appeals to me. I also saw a video of a botanist in action, and while it doesn't look particularly exciting it does look fun. It should be a lot more fun than herbalism in WoW, especially because fellow botanists (as well as other disciples of the land) don't fight for resources.

I'm also definately going to be the new taru (keep forgetting their name lol). I've spent the last few days making my character and I'm finally happy with her. Originally I was going to make a kitty character, but I wasn't fond of the overly short skirt and that certain animation in the benchmark in which she'd almost completely bend over and show off her panties. Yeah, no thanks. :hmm: But even after I learned they wont always be slutty and catered toward male gamers, I was disappointed about the ears and tail not matching the skin color. I know that sounds weird, but for some reason that really bothers me. xD I guess because they don't really feel like their attached to the cat as limbs? Meh.

Actually I did make a black kitty that had a tail that matched her skin almost perfectly after spending almost a whole day on the character (of course during that day I experimented with other characters and many other design options), and I almost decided to go with her until I decided to try making a taru thing again. I enjoyed how full of emotion their animations were and I was able to make a customization that was cute, but not too 'kiddy' for my taste (if that makes sense) after working on her on and off for several days. I absolutely love her and can't wait to play as her! :D

AngelicPikachu
22nd Aug 2013, 08:09
TBH I enjoyed all the classes...I messed around with em all during beta cept for the Paladin xD...anyway I plan to have all the jobs at some point or another. I am such an alt aholic xD

My List in order (might change)
1- Arcanist>Summoner
2-Lancer>Dragoon
3-Conjuer>Black Mage
4-Archer
5-Maraduer
6-Thaumaturege
7-Gadiator

Most likley will start over, since during beta when the NA/Eu servers was down I had to be on JP server lol oh well, i will most likely be playing Lalafell, Miqo'te and Elezen...maybe the Hyur

I come from wow I heal enough as it is on my priest and tank on my druid time to for break from those lol...see you guys in Early Access (Cactaur and Faerie)

Hippy_Pickle
22nd Aug 2013, 08:11
I started as a Thaumaturge Miqo'te Keeper of the Moon, also been learning conjurer and the Arcanist. Planning on going for the Summoner, Scholar. Black Mage and White Mage. Got a lot of work ahead of me!

Jill1808
22nd Aug 2013, 09:40
I have my four characters from version 1.0.
First a Lalafell Thaumaturge/Conjurer-White Mage. These are his main classes/jobs so far. I want to top Conjurer and Thaumaturge and also get his Gladiator to level 30 for Paladin. Then I'll start on Pugilist for the Black Mage Job. Other classes are Miner and Gold Smith.
Second an Elezen Gladiator level 33 and Conjurer level 14 (working for Paladin Job).
Third a Miqo'te Marauder and Botanist. But he's still a bit underdeveloped. Still haven't really decided what to do with him.
Forth a Miqo'te Lancer. My plan for him is to become a Dragoon. Also starting on Carpenter and also Botanist. After reaching Lancer level 30 I start on Pugilist.
Can't wait to start playing again. Open Beta was to short :D

Keriakus_uk
22nd Aug 2013, 10:09
Main - white mage
2nd paladin

server Odin - EU

JackBoss14475
22nd Aug 2013, 10:15
1st: Dragoon
2nd: Warrior

Server: Moogle (EU)

SinisJecht
22nd Aug 2013, 10:22
I have chosen to be an arcanists to become a summoner, being a massive FFx fan I've chosen to make my toon look like Yuna, sad? maybe, but FFX was truly a great game.

aray0002
22nd Aug 2013, 10:50
as Robert Downey Jr. said in Tropic Thunder
" i'm the dude that plays the dude of that other dude " in this case... Lancer / Dragoon for me.
Come on SATURDAY why you so late to the party.. HURRY UP

TinSparrow
22nd Aug 2013, 10:56
Im going to go ahead and assume Female Miqo'te will be the most played Race in the game, not having played at all prior to ARR.

Falconreaver
22nd Aug 2013, 11:10
I have to agree, i have a female Miqo'te archer myself who is probably going to be my main

alexandrogomez
22nd Aug 2013, 11:10
level 20 thaumaturge mage from version 1.0 and kept it ever since. will continue from there.

Kiritos
22nd Aug 2013, 21:47
:) seems like everyone is getting excited with this forum post, im glad! Im undecided on Paladin for tanking and archer for dmg.... hmm tough decisions. During beta plays ( I didn't get to do so ) did anyone check out the paladin? Wondering how they are questing / tanking... Archer I assume is strictly dps so there isn't too much of a question there, unless there is something I don't know of lol

Ziah05
23rd Aug 2013, 00:21
Hi guys i tend to play the least played role in games but i rlly dont like tanking so aside from pally/warrior and white mage what is the least played class. atm im stuck between choosing bard dragoon and scholar any input would be much appreciated thx!

Mallust
23rd Aug 2013, 00:44
If you wanting fast que times just a guess here be a Tank class or a healer class they always seem to be lacking the most in any MMO's that I have played.

View_Ryuuzoku
23rd Aug 2013, 01:39
I'd advise you to go scholar. This is my own speculation, but it seems that they can mildly heal themselves and continue to DPS.

Ziah05
23rd Aug 2013, 02:04
thanks ill consider it but the more advice the better please continue to share your opinions and observations from beta with me! :D

GoldX18
23rd Aug 2013, 02:12
I'd say avoid arcanist, from personal experience, casting ruin all day and night is very boring, its like the only dps spell up to lvl 16

Lukums
23rd Aug 2013, 02:48
Hello All.

I've recently been playing in the BETA with a 20 ranger and a 15 Conjuer. Ready for the Bard class once I get my ranger to 30.

Questions I have.

Rangers in many games have been classed as "Kiting machines" "DPS Monsters" "OP PVP - stun lock - blind etc".

However changing a ranger into a Bard will mean, Defensive skills/heals (while playing songs as a harp) much like Songweavers on Aion.

Each class has it's ups and down but will a Bard be classed as a DPS or a defensive ultility class. I believe it would depend much on class skills and GEAR but we have to keep in mind you can always continue playing a RANGER without changing it into a Bard if you choose.

So continue Ranger or fuse into BARD? What's your say?

GoldX18
23rd Aug 2013, 03:28
I can't answer your main question, but I'd like to ask you one if thats ok, how did you find the skills as a ranger? was it boring spamming just a single move all the time like with the Arcanist, or is there multiple skills that actually do damage?

VictorSama
23rd Aug 2013, 03:28
Hi guys,

FF14 is here soon and I need to find a class that is most suitable to my playing style.

I want a class that is:

- Good for Easy Leveling
- Good overall attack preferably with some self healing abilities (But mainly attack power)
- Good against monsters including Raids
- Don't really like to be too busy in raids. Don't mind being "a bit" boring sometimes.

Which class is suitable for me?

Now, this is another question, what is the current OP class? Is that OP class going to be suitable to my playing style?

Mallust
23rd Aug 2013, 03:30
Just try it out if you don't like one you can always switch. No one can really say what you will like. But if you like being bit bored, (no offense to anyone) but healing seems to do that and they have faster que times. lol

Mallust
23rd Aug 2013, 03:31
But remember one toon can become everything in the game but you have to level it all. lol

Mallust
23rd Aug 2013, 03:32
I personally like to create different toon for every role like a healer , a dps and a tank so I have a variety to play.

VictorSama
23rd Aug 2013, 03:40
As a casual gamer myself, I can play around 2-3 hours(max) per day. How long do I need to max my character level? (What is the level cap btw?)
If it is not too hard to lvl up even the slowest lvling class, then I can ignore my "easy lvling "criteria.

VictorSama
23rd Aug 2013, 03:42
Just try it out if you don't like one you can always switch. No one can really say what you will like. But if you like being bit bored, (no offense to anyone) but healing seems to do that and they have faster que times. lol

I don't want to be a pure healer lol. Thats way too boring even for me xD (no offense to anyone lol)

TerakAlonia
23rd Aug 2013, 03:44
You will want to level several classes to 10-15. Each class gets some power (ability) that can be used by other classes. You can then build a healer tank. For example, start as Conjuror to get Cure and Raise. Use Thaumaturge to get basic magic attacks like Fire. Also get Stoneskin and Second Wind. These are just basic spells that support whatever class yuo use. Arcanist gives you a Companion-Pet, very useful.

Once you have all the basic skills you will have had enough experience to decide what class you want to make your main class. However, after you play awhile you will develop other classes you can also use. I personally like Archer and Pugilist, but I think Arcanist and Musketeer will be fun.

Turbotailz
23rd Aug 2013, 03:45
I would say Marauder, but since you added healing probably something with magic casting.

Mallust
23rd Aug 2013, 03:47
I didn't get to play Beta a lot but seemed pretty easy to level once you figured out the maps and how they work , I'm a quest person so I just quest quest quest and never ran out of quest the time I played Beta. I think you may enjoy Gladiator that can become a Paladin, which is from what I understand a tank type class but you will also have some heals from having to be part conjurer also. I think LOL. Didn't get far enough to see that cause you have to be like 30 Gladiater, 15 Conjurer, to choose job Paladin or something like that lol.

Mallust
23rd Aug 2013, 03:48
You can go here it is virus free site, unlike a lot out there that have some back door crap can check out the classes and abilitys.
http://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki/FF14_Wiki

Lukums
23rd Aug 2013, 04:17
I can't answer your main question, but I'd like to ask you one if thats ok, how did you find the skills as a ranger? was it boring spamming just a single move all the time like with the Arcanist, or is there multiple skills that actually do damage?

Well that's ok you can't help me but I can assist you with your question.

Rangers as a class are always fun and enjoyable, in regards to spamming skills. IMO - There are 4 skills that DO DAMAGE 1 is a DOT - damage over time the other 3 can be classed as nukes.

I think because of LACK of skills everything is gonna seem a bit... slugish and spamming skills is a real issue however, because this is only level 20 I would 100% say that I will be sticking with ranger.

Ranger does solid damage and skills most mobs before they even get close, for the tricky ones you can simply kite with ease. This helps if you wanna explorer higher area's which you may not be able to with a malee fighter.

Rangers have avoid moves such as the jump back which you get around level 12-15 can't really remember which is fantastic to manuver between mobs.

Sorry for the wall of text just really excited to get into game.

So long story short, they do huge amount of burst damage which I've been holding aggro in the dungeons so far, keep in mind. I'm in FULL pink/green gear so it does help.

Any other questions more than happy to answer.

Mallust
23rd Aug 2013, 04:19
I really wish people wouldn't get on this band wagon of OMG this class is OP or that class is OP. So tired of that after 9years of reading it on WoW forums lol.

Lukums
23rd Aug 2013, 04:23
I really wish people wouldn't get on this band wagon of OMG this class is OP or that class is OP. So tired of that after 9years of reading it on WoW forums lol.

Nothing against you Mallust, but no where did I say Ranger was op or other wise. He asked for my opinion and I believe that was a reasonable and informative answer. I myself hope it doesn't come to this character is op and what not myself. I believe most if not all of us have played WoW at some point in time and don't wish to see FF become similar.

If you have something positive to add to this discussion please feel free :)

Note: I do understand my title saids OP but that is a very vage term as in "Cool" - "Enjoyable" - "Interesting" NOT AS DAMAGE sorry let that just be mentioned.

LegendeRisen
23rd Aug 2013, 04:57
Male Hyur
Bard
Archer
Lancer

Dpes bro, deeps.

LegendeRisen
23rd Aug 2013, 05:00
Bards are mad tightz yo

Ammiel
23rd Aug 2013, 05:32
Aside from Thief, Samurai, Dark Knight are there any hints from Yoshi if the puppeteer will come out in the furure? Thanks!:D:D:D

Mashr2010
23rd Aug 2013, 05:37
Aside from Thief, Samurai, Dark Knight are there any hints from Yoshi if the puppeteer will come out in the furure? Thanks!:D:D:D

From what I've been able to find, a Puppeteer job has not been mentioned. While it is possible more Pet based classes will be in the game later, I haven't seen this one mentioned anywhere or hinted at yet. Sorry D:

Ammiel
23rd Aug 2013, 05:37
I see, thanks sir!

Maetern
23rd Aug 2013, 06:42
Going for Duskwight Elezen Black Mage. Just sticking with one class.

fuuma
23rd Aug 2013, 10:32
I was thinking of going a bard but after reading this thread I might have to reconsider. I usually go for the underdog classes that are the least played and often underpowered. Im not a sadist so I don't know why I want to do that all the time. ^_^ I usually don't like the caster classes so i've been trying to force myself to go that route lately so I might check that out if there are to many bards hanging around.

VictorSama
23rd Aug 2013, 10:45
I just look at some info. How aout Arcanist + Thematurge?
It seems Thematurge has some great dmg and Arcanist has some heal. Hopefully when I promote to black mage, I can still use my Arcanist ability to heal myself a bit?

It's my first time playing a mmorpg where you can choose more than one class for yourself. So kinda confusing to me.

Hippy_Pickle
23rd Aug 2013, 10:49
I would have suggested Arcanist as it has offensive magic and defensive buffs/healing. Obviously you could just level on several classes and add the additional traits. For example a level 10 Arcanist can have 2 addtional skills from any other class you've leveled (as long as the skill matches your current level)

Jellyfishing
23rd Aug 2013, 12:47
I will continue my cute little Lalafell, which is a conjurer, and most likely a white mage. And an avid fisherman. Well, lady.

Drakeos
23rd Aug 2013, 15:55
Just wondering would Monk be perfect class for me cause iv used to love monks back in FF11 though i miss it alot

Mallust
23rd Aug 2013, 15:58
I say whatever you find fun to play, all the classes are great in this game. Just personal preference is your factor.
You can read more here on classes and stuff its pretty helpful not complete but pretty good.

Ravittsu
23rd Aug 2013, 16:19
I say whatever you find fun to play, all the classes are great in this game. Just personal preference is your factor.
You can read more here on classes and stuff its pretty helpful not complete but pretty good.

yup all about personal preference and how you want to play the game..
and if u decide u dont like this class anymore just pick a new one

ill personal go for the paladin class then maybe bard? ive heard some good things about the bard class

Drakeos
23rd Aug 2013, 21:27
But i prefer to do high and fast dps

ryanpie190
24th Aug 2013, 15:31
Hey guy's, just wondering if any of you can clarify as to which secondary class i'll be needing to roll BLK mage? I thought it was lvl15 Pugilist but i'm now reading about it being Arcanist? Anyone know which it is? Thanks :)