PDA

View Full Version : Should I get Deus Ex?

Mangar The Dark
8th Jul 2003, 15:50
I keep hearing great thing about the game, but my concern is that a lot of reviews compare it to System Shock 2. Being the odd person that I am, I really didn't enjoy SS2 much at all, so I'm wondering if you'd still recommend Deus Ex. How similar are they?

Catman
8th Jul 2003, 16:39
The answer really depends on what you didn't like about SS2, but I'll take a stab at it.

Deus Ex has live characters to interact with rather than just messages from dead characters, and the enemies are (with a couple exceptions) just regular folks.

You have a lot more option on dealing with enemies -- you can go through and kill everyone in sight, you can go through and kill no one, you can go through and kill just those who really annoy you ... your choice.

Your actions do have consequences, unlike most games. For example, in SS2, if you don't kill this monkey or that monkey, there's little impact on how the game unfolds (except you may miss out on a bag of chips or a monkey brain).

Best of all, no exploding protocol droids and no monkeys shooting fire balls at you.

Big Ragu
8th Jul 2003, 17:33
Dont' type anymore, just go out and buy it. You'll thank yourself.

Mangar The Dark
8th Jul 2003, 17:35
Thanks for the info. There were a few things I didn't like about SS2, though I suppose one of the main things was simply that there just always seemed to be a bit too much stuff going on (a bit too frantic at times), and it seemed I spent the bulk of my time looking for the next keycard to open yet another door. The hectic music annoyed me as well. And yeah, it did get dull just receiving messages from dead people all the time. A few live interactions would have spiced things up a lot.

WSimons
9th Jul 2003, 04:20
Deus Ex doesn't compare to any game!! It's great and there's no doubt about whether you should buy it!!

altF18
9th Jul 2003, 06:14
should you ask? :D

[SYN] Nexus
9th Jul 2003, 08:38
Go buy DeusEx its just the best stuff out there

plussi
9th Jul 2003, 10:01
Reinstalled last night for a blast.

Nothing compares :)

(P.S. - a belated hello to the Catman :D)

Zaccheus
9th Jul 2003, 11:27
DX is great fun.
:)

Mangar The Dark
9th Jul 2003, 14:46
Thanks for the feedback everyone! Of course, I guess it's kind of dumb to ask this sort of question on a DX forum... obviously you're all fans.

I'm one of the cheapest people in the world when it comes to buying games. I was interested in this game when it was first released, but couldn't bring myself to spend $50 on it because I wasn't 100% sure it would be my type of thing. Then I saw all of the great reviews, and I was still hesitant because I remembered the great reviews for System Shock 2 (which I didn't like), and this game looked similar to that one. Now it's available in a bundle with a few other games for about $20, and I still don't know if it's worth getting. Oh, and if that isn't crazy enough, I have a gift certificate for $35, so it wouldn't actually cost me anything (in fact, I'd have enough money left on the card to get another bargain game), but I can't decide. Am I crazy? (Oh, and yes, I do work full-time and make a decent living... I'm just overly cautious when it comes to buying things.)

RebeL_fARmeR
9th Jul 2003, 15:07
Look at it this way, it's a very good first person shooter that'll keep you happy for hours, because the game's ancient it's really cheap. I picked it up for £5, bargain!

What's to lose?

Cheerio Magnar, I'll see you back in the Tomb Raider forum!!! Hehehe! :D

Wolf_30
9th Jul 2003, 15:18
buy the game you dont have much to lose because

one i think you will be hooked on the game like all of us

two the game is really cheap in britian the game costs £4.99
which is about $8 american

so really what u got to lose not alot of money thats for sure

Mangar The Dark
9th Jul 2003, 15:53
Originally posted by slofish
a bundle!
Haven't seen that anywhere.
What are the other games? That could help you decide.
EMPHASIZE: must not be 'Limited Edition'
Skara Brae! Really? My mother says that area is beautiful.

I don't remember all of the other games in the bundle, though I think one of them was TR: Chronicles, which is wasted on me since I have that one already.

Um, I'm not REALLY from Skara Brae. It's a reference to The Bard's Tale (as is my user name.) To quote from the game's box:

Long ago, when magic still prevailed, the evil wizard Mangar the Dark threatened a small but harmonious country town called Skara Brae. Evil creatures oozed into Skara Brae and joined his shadow domain. Mangar froze the surrounding lands with a spell of Eternal Winter, totally isolating Skara Brae from any possible help.

I'm not quite as evil in real life.

Mangar The Dark
9th Jul 2003, 16:42
Originally posted by slofish
well a bundle would give you trading stock or presents for
someone else.
If by chance Thief is included, jump all over it.
You seem concerned that a reviewer 'compared' DX to SS2.
DX totally spanks SS2.
About twice as long and a LOT more environments.
Frankly it's worth the $20 by itself.
I never played SS2 twice. I played DX 3-4 times and might
start a new game any day now.
Most people here have played DX repeatedly.

I think it includes Thief 2, which is better for me. I have the original Thief, and thoroughly enjoyed the first level, and then those damn Zombies appeared, and I abandoned it. I hear there are fewer Zombies and more "normal" enemies in the sequel.

Anyway, I'm also considering a few other games, such as "Morrowind" and "Wizardry 8." I'll see what mood I'm in when I get to the store this weekend. Thanks again for the info on Deus Ex!

TRoosevelt_26
13th Jul 2003, 03:28
Keep playing Thief...you won't be disappointed. I've played Thief Gold and System Shock II more times than I can count, and Thief II twice, and Deus Ex is in the same class as all of them (currently on my fourth play-through). I can't recommend any of the above games enough.

You won't be sorry.

Big Ragu
13th Jul 2003, 04:59
It comes with Commandoes 2, Thief 2, Tomb Raider Chronicles, and of course, Deus Ex GOTY edition. $20

bonemachine149
13th Jul 2003, 21:19
I was skeptical about DX when it was first announced as well. I read about all the things the game was attempting to be and assumed it must be so full of compromises that it would be a piece of crap.

I was so wrong. I was floored. After 3 years it is still my favorite game of all time.

Above and beyond its other virtues, the best thing about DX is its intelligence. The storyline never underestimates the sophistication of the user, and while it is possible to play the game without investing too much of your heart or intellect, it is wonderfully rewarding to do so.

Get the game. Read and explore everything. Get to know the characters. Contemplate the depth of its political and religious overtones. Report back here.

Montial
14th Jul 2003, 11:00
If you're really bothered, find the demo first. You'll realise what a fool you've been and buy the game. I played the demo first (ist and 2nd levels) and was ecstatic to find it in the shops. (It seemed like such a low-funded game I didn't expect to find it in NZ)

Mangar The Dark
16th Jul 2003, 15:43
Good idea. I'll try the demo first. The premise sounds good, but I'm concerned about the interface, controls and such. I didn't much like the interface in System Shock2 (not sure why, I just didn't), so I want to be sure this one doens't bother me.

lalaji
3rd Aug 2003, 17:52
wats the diff between dues ex and deus ex:goty?is the difference so huge that we need separate forums for it?

Catman
4th Aug 2003, 02:11
GOTY has a few minor changes from the original release, but it's essentially the same game. So there's just one forum for both.

Hannibal
4th Aug 2003, 12:09
Originally posted by Mangar The Dark
Good idea. I'll try the demo first. The premise sounds good, but I'm concerned about the interface, controls and such. I didn't much like the interface in System Shock2 (not sure why, I just didn't), so I want to be sure this one doens't bother me.

The interface in Deus Ex is about as complicated as System Shock 2's interface. I found DX to be easier to use, but there is a lot going on with it. The advantage is that F1 opens up your inventory and pauses the game. Essentially, you can equp stuff this way, which is a big advantage. It helps you get through some of the more hectic spots.

Deus Ex, in general, is much easier than SS2. SS2 was just darned impossible at the beginning (but it does get easier), and that may have also affected how you felt about the game.

cball05
13th Aug 2003, 00:21
Thanks for the info. There were a few things I didn't like about SS2...The hectic music annoyed me as well.

It's quite the opposite with Deus Ex. THe music was so good that at times I was tempted to not complete a mission so I could hear the rest of the song :D

Bio Denton
14th Aug 2003, 20:47
*Looks at cball*

DarkForge
15th Aug 2003, 10:13
NO - don't buy Deus EX. Are you kidding? Why the hell would you want to go and do something that stupid?

Not really - I just wanted to be different! :D

Deus Ex ROCKS!!!

Mangar The Dark
20th Aug 2003, 17:08
I finally got around to playing the demo and, well... hmm... I won't be getting this game after all. Just not my type, really. I can't really narrow it down to a particular aspect of the game, I just didn't enjoy the demo much at all, though I can see why other people might. Anyway, I bought Wizardry 8 instead and have been enjoying it immensely. So I'm heading over to a Wizardry forum now. Take care.

Nazo
21st Aug 2003, 07:23
I think it includes Thief 2, which is better for me. I have the original Thief, and thoroughly enjoyed the first level, and then those damn Zombies appeared, and I abandoned it. I hear there are fewer Zombies and more "normal" enemies in the sequel.

Anyway, I'm also considering a few other games, such as "Morrowind" and "Wizardry 8." I'll see what mood I'm in when I get to the store this weekend. Thanks again for the info on Deus Ex!
I just got that game earlier today. The zombies are driving me crazy too. I'm kind of sticking with it as best as I can, but whenever one of the stupid things kills me 50 times I get sick of it and have to quit for a while. I can say one thing. It's quite enjoyable sneaking around in the shadows, knocking people out and then dragging the body out of sight (btw, I add on finishing them off with my sword just to be sure d-: ) Especially I love the water arrows since you can put out the torches to sneak around a little better. Enemies can be practically looking right at you and loose you in the shadows when it's completely dark. All the better for bonking them over the head, right? d-:

Anyway, Morrowind is kind of a little iffy. It's got some very nice ups, but also some downs. The engine has major flaws, the most obvious of which is the incredible slowness (you probably need at least a GF3 Ti I'd estimate, I got by with my GF4Ti4200, but at times the FPS could actually get below 15, and though you need 30 for it to be relatively smooth, you can get by with 15 ok at times, but when it goes below that it just starts to look bad. Luckily it was only certain parts with maximum settings that did that.) Also, as massive as the game world is, it just feels so small since you are on an island after I had played daggerfall which let you cover even more than one province, albiet with mostly the same textures and just a little too repetitive. Especially what bugs me is the careless way they sort of made nearly every path on the entire island sort of inside this sort of indentation so you feel like you are closed in inside a giant bowl a lot of the time. But, you can still manage to scramble over sometimes where you aren't supposed to and then just cut across areas which is kind of cheating. Anyway, basically once I started playing around with the editor and saw how everything was put together I just somehow sort of stopped enjoying it.

As for the upsides, it's a sort of action rpg with swords and sworcery, which is pretty darned rare in an FPS style game. The land can be kind of beautiful-ish at times too, especially with the water effect if your video card is able to do that. Also, despite what I said about it feeling kind of small and how you are on an island, it's a fairly large island and although the outside is limited, the inside is less limited. (By inside I mean anything besides outside, including caves, houses, castles, etc.) And, having played daggerfall first, there's one thing I definitely noticed about morrowind. It has MUCH better error handling and considerably fewer bugs d-: (If you've never played daggerfall, one of the most annoying bugs was when you sort of got stuck and suddenly fell through the floor/wall into an infinite pit. You had to "cheat" by modifying your savegame to get out of it.) Also, the game is very easily added on to whether you want to add new areas or make your own cheating equipment d-:

Anyway, morrowind is quite nice for a while, but, I just don't know if I'll ever want to play it again or at least any time soon. So I suppose it just kind of lacks replayability. By the time you've beaten it, you just kind of feel like you've done it all anyway, so who needs the openendedness and who needs an expansion pack adding even more to do. Plus I just really wish they had some of the more interesting creatures normally associated with such games, such as dragons. (Ok, I've been playing NWN too much.)

I haven't played Wizardry 8, so can't say much about it.

Originally posted by cball05
It's quite the opposite with Deus Ex. THe music was so good that at times I was tempted to not complete a mission so I could hear the rest of the song :D

Check this out: http://www.modplug.com It can play unreal umx files. If you liked the music, then you can play it outside the game too. (Just check the "music" directory.)

cball05
21st Aug 2003, 21:02
Originally posted by Nazo
Check this out: http://www.modplug.com It can play unreal umx files. If you liked the music, then you can play it outside the game too. (Just check the "music" directory.)

Thanks - I have the soundtrack but this is much easier :D Don't you love the begining of the Paris-Cathedral song?

Nazo
21st Aug 2003, 21:50
Sorry, I haven't gone through them all yet. Anyway, I think it sucks that they sell soundtracks to games. They should all just directly provide their customers with the tools to play the music to begin with. Darned companies with the whole squeezing every penny they can out of us and all )-: (Ok, a little annoyed since I wanted to upgrade my video card, but the next thing up is just too darned much.)

EDIT: Well, now that I think of it, that way people can get the music without getting the game. Plus it's ok if they sell to the people who are too ignorant to use a tool if they directly provided it and mentioned it in the manual. So I still think they should at least do that much.