PDA

View Full Version : JC's Horrible voice

operative x
8th Jul 2003, 02:53
I hope they change JC's voice so badly. He just sound like such a danm nerd to me. I want them to get a better voice acter. The guy just did not fit the part i think.

soeren
8th Jul 2003, 08:17
I like JC's voiceacting a lot.

[SYN] Nexus
8th Jul 2003, 08:56
wtf thats the coolest voice they can give him.I dont want them to change it!Its one of the coolest voices possible for him

Loreleye
8th Jul 2003, 11:56
I totaly agree, he should not get any other voices! that would sound dum if he suddenly had a difference voice!

Skylink
8th Jul 2003, 18:20
agree
his voice suits him very well =)

Big Ragu
8th Jul 2003, 18:41
I agree. Has anyone heard if Ion Storm is using same voice actor?

Somniac
8th Jul 2003, 19:53
I really like JC's voice....

WSimons
8th Jul 2003, 20:28
I have to agree with everyone else, I love his voice. His and Walton Simons' voices are the best in my opinion!! I enjoy when JC says, "Suuuure" when agreeing to pay for the girls' way into the Lucky Money.

Somniac
8th Jul 2003, 22:29
wow, 15 vs. 0 .........

operative x
8th Jul 2003, 23:35
:o :eek: :confused: i guese im alone on this:(

Lawnboy360
8th Jul 2003, 23:43
Hell yeah.

"JC's horrible voice" - What?

operative x
8th Jul 2003, 23:48
yeah! his horrible homo ****ing voice!

Lawnboy360
8th Jul 2003, 23:53
Originally posted by operative x
yeah! his horrible homo ****ing voice!

http://community.the-underdogs.org/smiley/misc/rolleyes2.gif

crimson_stallion
9th Jul 2003, 01:05
Jc's voice is cooool ! :cool:

WSimons
9th Jul 2003, 04:15
Maybe it should be a light voice with a lisp!

soeren
9th Jul 2003, 06:47
Originally posted by WSimons
Maybe it should be a light voice with a lisp!
LOL :D

TheDerf
9th Jul 2003, 07:09
Hey now... if operative x thinks JC's voice is terrible, why isn't there a tally in the "No" section? Or am I wrong in thinking that the creators of the threads involving polls are allowed to vote?

crimson_stallion
9th Jul 2003, 07:30
Originally posted by TheDerf
Hey now... if operative x thinks JC's voice is terrible, why isn't there a tally in the "No" section? Or am I wrong in thinking that the creators of the threads involving polls are allowed to vote?

Why not :)

WSimons
10th Jul 2003, 04:27
It's still at 0, maybe he's lying about not liking it and voted that he liked it!

Leo
10th Jul 2003, 06:15
I enjoyed JC's voice, it just gave him his personality

JeffDenton
12th Jul 2003, 03:33
I'm with pretty much everyone else... JC's Voice RULES! They should stick with the same voice actor...

Ductonius
12th Jul 2003, 15:15
:o :eek: :confused: i guese im alone on this:(

"Sure."

cball05
12th Jul 2003, 23:13
JC was always cool under pressure - there would be 20 soldiers aiming at his head and waiting for him to finish his conversation, and he just continued talking in that smooth, cool voice. Until the conversation ended and he was blasted to bits :D

talley
13th Jul 2003, 08:32
Originally posted by cball05
JC was always cool under pressure - there would be 20 soldiers aiming at his head and waiting for him to finish his conversation, and he just continued talking in that smooth, cool voice. Until the conversation ended and he was blasted to bits :D

now that sounds a little bit like the equilibrium (2002) movie, doesn't it? :D

indx
13th Jul 2003, 19:55
Yeah I like his voice, I thought everyone did.

Obviously not.

Vladimir Denton
14th Jul 2003, 23:28
The actor they used was the guy from California Dreams, that **** show remember? It was Jake Sommers, the guy with the bike and leather jacket.

JC is coming back in DX2 however since Jay Franke (actor for JC) is not working for Ion Storm anymore so I do not know if they will re-hire him or whatever

Vladimir Denton, Communist!

operative x
14th Jul 2003, 23:33
Jc was played by that guy!? Wow. I don't know what the hell is wrong with guys he sounds f'n horrible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
15th Jul 2003, 07:49
that would be a good question : who would you like to voice Alex in DX:IW?

for male and/or female Alex)

(and, operative x, who would you have had voicing JC? (<-- wow, was that english?)

operative x
15th Jul 2003, 19:57
well... off the top of my head maybe... how about that guy from Minority Report. That guy with the blond hair and first starts explaining how the precogs work to the detective( played by colin farrel). He was also in the scene in the ally with the jet pack and he says to Tom Cruise "You don't have to run John" Then Tom Cruise says back "Every body runs... every body runs" And he is also in the show "Boomtown" i think he plays a lawyer. He is the guy under the BOOM he is looking up (http://www.nbc.com/Boomtown/)

Bio}{azard
16th Jul 2003, 06:17
I personaly want(ed) Jc or alex to be the guy who does the voice
acting for Sam Fisher

he has a cool voice

crack_head
17th Jul 2003, 03:35
i like JCs voice its cool

Bio Denton
17th Jul 2003, 09:28
Originally posted by Somniac
wow, 15 vs. 0 .........

Errr :P

WSimons
18th Jul 2003, 00:06
Originally posted by Ductonius
"Sure."

Hahaha good one!! I love when he says that!!

operative x
18th Jul 2003, 05:44
?! "I'll check back with you later"

Big Ragu
19th Jul 2003, 06:07
I was watching to one of the German videos again and I picked up Alex talking in the background talking to a kid. Its hard to hear over the German guy, but from what I can tell, he sounds pretty generic..

Mr.Tellurian
20th Jul 2003, 14:44
Just as all of the Voiceacting in DX, I liked JC's voice very much. It just fitted the character perfectly... so I never actually felt any need to complain about it.
Alex's voiceacting seems to be just as solid, though that is nothing i can say for sure from the little thats heard in the videos.
I actually don't think that Michael Ironside (Redchack or however that's spelled from Starship Troopers) would be a good choice for one of the Dentons. He was great at voiceacting fisher, but his voice sounds way to old to be one of the Dentons.

Big Ragu
20th Jul 2003, 15:50
This is 15 or so years after the first one, maybe they sound a bit older?

Mr.Tellurian
20th Jul 2003, 18:06
JC or Paul COULD probably sound a bit older yes, if those Nanoborgs age in the same way as normal Humans. They are somehow Clones with Superhuman abilities and stuff so who says they have the same aging-cycle? Which I have to admit is actually a bit much hypothetical. ;)

Big Ragu
22nd Jul 2003, 01:08
I see your point.

PS: Does anyone know if Walton had a clone because it certainly seem logical that he does. Probably an enemy in IW or perhaps, the third installment of Deus Ex?

aklein
22nd Jul 2003, 02:11
Well IMO his voice wasn't bad, but the acting was. He completely lacked emotion, it wasn't like coolness, it was apathetic sounding, like he didn't care. I mean, most of the other characters had evil sounding, scared, whatever voices, but he was like a robot.

-A

The_Monopolizer
22nd Jul 2003, 02:33
Thats because he always had it under control, you know.
You can't scare JC...

aklein
22nd Jul 2003, 02:36
But I'd like a little emotion, maybe just a hint that he's not a robot. It just sounded like bad acting to me, and not coolness. PCGAMER and Gamespot agreed way back in there reviews when it first came out.

-A

operative x
22nd Jul 2003, 03:46
EXACTLY!! It just sounded like someone reading a script as quick as they can.

Serephin11
22nd Jul 2003, 04:27
The voice acting could have been better I spose, but still the sound of his voice suited the character of JC, calm, cool, collected. Im not saying that if there were emoition in alex's voice it would be bad or anything but still he has to sound like a profesional. :cool:

Big Ragu
23rd Jul 2003, 06:08
Originally posted by aklein
But I'd like a little emotion, maybe just a hint that he's not a robot. It just sounded like bad acting to me, and not coolness. PCGAMER and Gamespot agreed way back in there reviews when it first came out.

-A

What do you mean he didn't show emotion, there was that one time when...no that was someone else.

Oh, when he was talking to....wait, that was Paul.

Well, so he sounded like a robot, I mean give him a break, he is part robot.

Catman
23rd Jul 2003, 13:16
Actually, JC does show a bit of emotion if you discover the bomb on the helicopter in Paris. And that, alas, was definitely some bad acting.

But overall, the flat, emotionless delivery was just what Warren Spector had in mind.

Big Ragu
23rd Jul 2003, 17:15
All I know is that Deus Ex would have been really wierd if JC was all happy or over dramatic.

Overall it did fit him.

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
24th Jul 2003, 08:20
Yes, imagine JC voiced by Joe Pesci, ala Lethal Weapon. (that would be fun)

WSimons
24th Jul 2003, 18:08
Originally posted by Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
Yes, imagine JC voiced by Joe Pesci, ala Lethal Weapon. (that would be fun)

That would be so weird!!

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
25th Jul 2003, 07:46
I'm sure We could find something funnier

Poll : which MALE actor would you think to be the WORSE to voice JC?

tomb_raiding
25th Jul 2003, 11:48
JC's voice is Great, plz don't change it !! :)

Catman
25th Jul 2003, 13:42
Originally posted by Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
I'm sure We could find something funnier

Poll : which MALE actor would you think to be the WORSE to voice JC? How about John Fielder (http://www.aveleyman.com/ActorsF/P00021456.html) (the voice of Piglet in the Disney Winnie-the-Pooh movies, Mr. Hengist in the Star Trek epidode Wolf in the Fold)? Don't get me wrong here &mdash; decent enough actor, but definitely the wrong voice.

MobileEMP
25th Jul 2003, 17:06
Well since JC isnt in IW it would be hard to have his voice there. But his clone Alex is and I still think that its the perfect voice for him too.

SoloX2
27th Jul 2003, 22:30
Mobilemp what are you talking about JC is in IW you just dont get to play with him.

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
28th Jul 2003, 08:06
Originally posted by MobileEMP
But his clone Alex is and I still think that its the perfect voice for him too.

(at least if you choose a male Alex)

Trollslayer
28th Jul 2003, 11:41
Originally posted by MobileEMP
Well since JC isnt in IW it would be hard to have his voice there. But his clone Alex is and I still think that its the perfect voice for him too.

Actually, i think he is in IW.

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
28th Jul 2003, 14:03
yes, if I remember correctly, they said he will be here more like a Mentor, and you can choose to fight him.

Hannibal
28th Jul 2003, 19:41
I read a while back that they gave JC his voice because they wanted an emotionless character, so that you could form your own emotions in the game.

I loved Walton Simons in the first game.

Bob Page on the other hand. God that guy was awful.

Picasso
6th Aug 2003, 04:11
I read a while back that they gave JC his voice because they wanted an emotionless character, so that you could form your own emotions in the game.

That's true. They were hoping that the player would be able to project their own character's personality onto JC's blank voice. As for whether it worked out, well...

Poll : which MALE actor would you think to be the WORSE to voice JC?

David Spade.

operative x
6th Aug 2003, 05:52
Well if you guys like his voice then your making ION Storms job a lot easier because now they know that they can use any shmuck's voice and you guys wouldn't care:/

This is off topic but, how are they going to make jc's face in IW? Because in DX1 when you first start the game you can choose different faces for JC. Like, there was a black version of JC and an old man version (or some dude with REALLY white hair). What if someone did not pick the default face of JC?

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
6th Aug 2003, 08:00
that's good for replayability: each time you start a game, JC's model changes...

(OK it's a little not enough to replay the game...)

maybe he is like DeBeers, in a sarcophage, so you can't see his face?

crimson_stallion
6th Aug 2003, 09:00
Well if you guys like his voice then your making ION Storms job a lot easier because now they know that they can use any shmuck's voice and you guys wouldn't care:/

This is off topic but, how are they going to make jc's face in IW? Because in DX1 when you first start the game you can choose different faces for JC. Like, there was a black version of JC and an old man version (or some dude with REALLY white hair). What if someone did not pick the default face of JC?

but... but... most people liked his voice...and thought it didnt sound 'smucky' if thats a word lol. I think jc's voice and the dude from splinter cell make for the two best character voices in any games.

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
6th Aug 2003, 09:13
at least, more than 90% of posters here found JC's voice OK

PDenton
6th Aug 2003, 15:21
how are they going to make jc's face in IW? Because in DX1 when you first start the game you can choose different faces for JC. Like, there was a black version of JC and an old man version (or some dude with REALLY white hair). What if someone did not pick the default face of JC?
I think Alex is supposed to be a close of JC isn't he? Therefore if you choose what alex looks like at the start as you do in DX, then they could just make JC look the same as Alex. I mean they did that with JC and Paul.

Hannibal
6th Aug 2003, 17:51
Originally posted by PDenton
I think Alex is supposed to be a close of JC isn't he? Therefore if you choose what alex looks like at the start as you do in DX, then they could just make JC look the same as Alex. I mean they did that with JC and Paul.

If you choose to play the female Alex, then that would make her one ugly-ass broad. ;)

operative x
6th Aug 2003, 19:08
ahahaha!!

gareis
8th Aug 2003, 03:05
Originally posted by Big Ragu
PS: Does anyone know if Walton had a clone because it certainly seem logical that he does. Probably an enemy in IW or perhaps, the third installment of Deus Ex?

There was at least one clone on the Simons series in the Area51 tanks. His name was, I believe, Nick Pau...no, can't remember the rest of it. I'll play it again to see.

~gareis

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
8th Aug 2003, 07:15
Pausback, I think?

Florelle
10th Aug 2003, 14:45
I really liked JC's voice - the best sounbyte is where he says "beer please" in the bars and clubs. Sheer class :)

Trollslayer
10th Aug 2003, 16:15
JC's voice was very good for the role. But it had a problem. I don't know if voice actors are paid more if they drop their lines with emotion, but by listening to voice acting in games like Deus Ex and Max Payne, its easy to see the voices suit the main characters perfectly, but the actors kind of screw it up by talking as if they were reading from a paper, and in a hurry. Max Payne was evident on this - you looked at the story advancement by storyboards and saw Payne's gestures, moves, expressions - then his voice acting ruined the experience. No matter his feelings, he'd also act with the monotone robotic pitch sale, which also characterizes actor Nicholas Cage. He's a good actor, but i rarely see him with a varied voice tone. No matter if he's drunk, drugged, half-asleep, happy, bleeding, being shot at, his voice tone remains the same most (if not all the time).

Back on track this to me is the same problem with DX. Offhand, he only moment i recall where JC showed any kind of emotion was:

1) When he says "A bomb!" when refering to Jock's helicopter.

2) When he dies and screams.

Which leads me to wonder (again), is expressing feelings in dialogue that hard for voice actors, or do they act like moneysucking leeches for these kinds of tasks?

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
11th Aug 2003, 08:27
since I am in France, I get used to bad voice acting (I mean, dubbing is ALWAYS awful, in films, in games etc...)

fortunately, I had DX1 in english (even in the french version, the voices where in english, only the text was in french). This didn't compare with Max Payne. Max Payne was (at least in french) the worst voice acting I've ever heard. I wonder if the english version is as bad

and in my opinion, JC doesn't show emotion, when he dies, he shows pain (understandably).

And (this has already been said), the game producers wanted JC to have a blank voice, on purpose. (in which they succeeded)

Trollslayer
11th Aug 2003, 10:20
Well Max Payne's voice acting for the entire cast is reasonable... but Max Payne's voice is like JC - you can tell they're reading the lines quickly. Specially Max Payne... i hope the sequel will have the main voice actor breathe between lines :D

Hannibal
11th Aug 2003, 11:57
JC's death scream is the same as what everyone else has. Everyone from Joseph Manderley to Walton Simons have the same death scream.

oceanskie
12th Aug 2003, 03:22
i must say, i absolutely adored the voice of walton simon. "...this agency is broken, and needs an overhaul..." and to reply the thread, personally i'd like to hear a tomcruise style of voice. it'd put some humanity to this "50billion dollars" and not to mention the JC's voice sound's like an tired old man who's either a) drunk b)drugged

Hannibal
12th Aug 2003, 15:56
Originally posted by oceanskie
i must say, i absolutely adored the voice of walton simon. "...this agency is broken, and needs an overhaul..." and to reply the thread, personally i'd like to hear a tomcruise style of voice. it'd put some humanity to this "50billion dollars" and not to mention the JC's voice sound's like an tired old man who's either a) drunk b)drugged

Walton's Simons voice was simply awesome. The little speeches that he gives you in the Ocean labs right before you meet him personally are chilling. It's remarkable that it wasn't even a professional voice actor (it was Tom Hall, the lead guy for Anachronox).

ginger_grunger
13th Aug 2003, 11:31
i thought there was personally nothing wrong with the voice acting...being an actor myself(and not gay!) im good at recognising tone and stuff, and i think that JC's voice was deliberately supposed to sound un emotional like that, because it reflected his character...for the sequel, i dont want it to be like terminator 2 where Arnie actually gets some feelings, it just sounds wrong...lol

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
13th Aug 2003, 12:36
"Desire is irrelevant, I am a machine" (no, that's T3)

I don't see why there should be more emotion in JC's voice, there is not a lot to be excited about in his world. after all, he has "nerves of steel".

Trollslayer
13th Aug 2003, 17:05
Originally posted by ginger_grunger
...being an actor myself(and not gay!)

Good of you to share your sexual preferences with us.

ginger_grunger
13th Aug 2003, 19:56
lol, i said that as a reference to another thread talkin about the use of the word 'gay'...and hell, thankfully im not

Florelle
19th Aug 2003, 11:03
There is some really great voiceacting in Deus Ex. Walton Simons is by far the best ("We are ready to make a grab for WASHINGTON!"), and as for JC's being a little flat - the same guy does the voice for Paul, and Paul's voice is pretty decent.

Evil.Assassin
19th Aug 2003, 21:23
I think the original voice for JC was pretty cool, but it would be pretty sweet if they made him talk like he does in DX when he combines with Helios.

BrokenHelix
20th Aug 2003, 00:58
The way J.C. Denton talked said he was never a social creature, Walton Simon was the same. They both talked like all they've ever done were training and practicing. I liked his voice acting because it fits the profile exactly, I have to give thanks to the Ion Storm team for picking all the voice actors, they all were very good... And I'd like to find out, if it's possible, to find out a way to become a voice actor for them. :D

Zombi Z
20th Aug 2003, 01:24
Hope you don't mind OpX, but I too am thoroughly convinced that the voice for the Dentons was fine as is. While I can't quite stand with the others on 'Suuuure' as being his better line, I do believe there were winners.

Remember that one line in the subway area before the scripted fight with Hermann?

"Here comes your chance to be a hero."

The realization that the fight is scripted takes the awe out of the line, but it was there for a moment.

Maybe in a remake (You, me, or someone else, who wouldn't?) that scene would simply be a cimenatic: A Terminator vs. Jet Li brawl. Denton would kick, jab, and flip, trenchcoat flailing in the rain while Hermann bear-like blocks and grabs indifferently waiting for an opening to punch right for the jaw while teenage/early twenties UNATCO troopers stand in a circle cheering, waiting to haul off the unconcious Denton. Imgaine the fight lasting less than a minute... Ho! There I go off topic again. Crap.

[SYN] Nexus
20th Aug 2003, 09:56
Voice acting was awesome as long as they dont make Deus Ex2 like Terminator 3 cause that movie sucked ass.But Im pretty sure Warren will do his best :)

Lawnboy360
22nd Aug 2003, 14:12
But Im pretty sure Warren will do his best

DX:IW is Harvey Smith's game more than Warren's. Warren is mostly looking over Smith's shoulder saying "Good job" and does interviews as far as I can tell. ;)

Bio Denton
25th Aug 2003, 11:32
Originally posted by WSimons
I have to agree with everyone else, I love his voice. His and Walton Simons' voices are the best in my opinion!! I enjoy when JC says, "Suuuure" when agreeing to pay for the girls' way into the Lucky Money.

Ha ha yeah, I thought that was one of his finer moments, too

Hannibal
25th Aug 2003, 12:34
One of those chicks is carrying $100, so they were lying about leaving their money in the hotel.

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
25th Aug 2003, 12:36
how do you know that, did you prod her? (It might not be very good for building future relationships, you know?)

Hannibal
25th Aug 2003, 17:12
I took her out with the sniper rifle. I can't handle rejection. ;)

agent008
25th Aug 2003, 17:51
im not trying to be rude or anything but if you think the sounds of anything in the game are bad its probabily that you have a slow or old processor,memory and sound card and maybe video card also

you also might have set the wrong settings for sound in the sound options menu

Skandas
25th Aug 2003, 18:00
I personally thought the voice acting was fantastic in DX - I really liked JC's voice and Paul's voice and though the guy who did Bob Paige was pretty good too:confused:

Skul-Gun
25th Aug 2003, 18:25
I am in the same line of agreement with those that say JC's voice was fine, but his acting was nothing more than bad. I know it was done on purpose though so in the end it doesn't bother me and didn't hinder my enjoyment of the overall game.

fave JC quote: "Sticks and stones"

Paul's and Walton's were great. And if I'm not mistaken i could've sworn i heard walton's voice in the new trailer. perhaps that scientist guy is Nick Pau-something.

One thing that i absolutely must stress though, and i can't believe anyone hasn't mentioned this yet, is that the atempted chinese accents were appalling! especially the one that goes "Not advisable for tourists to visit the canals at night" *shudder*. Same with the french, although i didn't spend much time on the paris levels so i didn't notice it as much. Did anyone else notice this?

Oh and a bad JC voice actor? let's see. How about Graham Norton, Jack Black, or Chris Tucker :D

Hannibal
26th Aug 2003, 02:07
Bad Chinese accents?

"Prease put the paper back when you are done bwowsing."

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
26th Aug 2003, 07:18
Same with the french, although i didn't spend much time on the paris levels so i didn't notice it as much. Did anyone else notice this?

I just LOVED the french accent (I'm french)

I just couldn't stop laughing when I arrived to Paris.

I made a save here just so I can go back and listen.

agent008
26th Aug 2003, 17:18
ok do you laugh in real life when you hear people speaking french?

mikepayne666
26th Aug 2003, 19:19
jcs voice is fine

NamelessOne
27th Aug 2003, 08:29
JC's voice rocked. It was absolutely perfect for the type of character I was playing (A calm, iceman kind of guy). Some lines just sounded sooooo cool. "Maybe I'll pop a cap in his ass too" is a classic. I hope Alex sounds similar.

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
1st Sep 2003, 08:31
ok do you laugh in real life when you hear people speaking french?

I didn't say it was a good accent. I mean, Americans trying to imitate french accent when speaking english, the result was exhilarating. that's why it was so funny. (after all, when I mimitate americans speaking french with american accent, the result must be fun too

override367
2nd Sep 2003, 08:43
Originally posted by crimson_stallion
but... but... most people liked his voice...and thought it didnt sound 'smucky' if thats a word lol. I think jc's voice and the dude from splinter cell make for the two best character voices in any games.

I liked the villan from Baldur's Gate 2 enough to put him up there

I do agree JCs voice acting was horrible, the guy did a crap job voice acting, but it works! The cold dispassionate nature of it fits JC pretty well.

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
2nd Sep 2003, 08:50
Originally posted by override367
I liked the villan from Baldur's Gate 2 enough to put him up there

I do agree JCs voice acting was horrible, the guy did a crap job voice acting, but it works! The cold dispassionate nature of it fits JC pretty well.

hmm
since it WAS the effect they wanted, how can you say it's "bad" voice acting?

Hannibal
2nd Sep 2003, 11:42
Originally posted by override367
I liked the villan from Baldur's Gate 2 enough to put him up there.

The villain from Baldurs Gate 2 was David Warner. He is a very well-known actor who has been in quite a few movies: The Omen, The Man with Two Brains, Titanic are just a few.

Neuromancer07
6th Sep 2003, 02:23
I really liked JC's voice, especially WS and the other characters like Jock, Page, Savage, Manderely were great as well, but some of the acting is horrible.

"Oh my god JC a BOMB!"
"A bomb!"

That part was terribly acted, a lot of the dialogue is great though.

"Slavery, addiction is a form of slavery."

I would really like it if they did near-same voice with alex only with better acting. The only game which beats Deus Ex for Voice Acting would have to be Mafia, maybe Eternal Darkness. The characters in Mafia were so believe and life-like, but in Deus Ex their cooler.

They sould get that guy from the Hitman series who plays agent 47 (the hitman for those of you that don't know) to do alex's voice.

crimson_stallion
6th Sep 2003, 09:49
I think all the voice acting was very good. It really helped to set the mood. Everyone had a diff type of voice (pretty much) and it helped alot to make each person really 'feel' like their own person, rather then just a bunch of clones.

Simons was great, as was jc, manderly, his receptionist, the unactco troops, the mj12 mech troops (that voice just struck fear into me everytime i heard it), the guy in the ton (cant remember his name) and his daughter, the mechs. All of the voice effects were done very well, as was the scripting.

I remember when simons first arrived, and when the two MIBs told me that the cell block was off limits until simons was done with the prisoners. I wanted to go down out of curiosity, but there was a fear inside about what might happen if i did. I really felt that maybe it would ruin my game, get me in trouble with a manderly (and maybe have him deduct some credits from my bonus) or something. I attemped to look anyway, saw there was nothing special there, got told buy the guards that my intrusion would be reported, thought "blah iveh eard that before" and left. Only to be told off by the MIBs and i think also simons later.

Then i tried the next time i played through, to not do there. I leave the complex this time and the MIBs now greet me and thank me for not disobeying simons orders. Although these are not major plot changes, and are fairly insignificant on their own, they really make the player feel like they are there in a real world, where your decisions make a difference, and choices cannot be changed (unless you click 'load').

I think the first time i encountered this was the female toilets. When i wen tin there, talked to the woman, got threatened that she would report it to manderly, etc, i simply thought "haha they have a sense of humour, cool". Then when i went to collect my mission pay, and got that ear biting off manderly about it i was like "oopsy... wow she really did tell him".

Many games have situations like these, where people would threaten to report you when you do something wrong, but nothing actually happens. This distracts alot from the realism of the game. Another great thing is that you ARE given alot of freedom to be that charater you want to be. You may get punished, but in essence you can do almost anything. If you want to be evil and kill every civilian u see, you can. You dont get a message saying "you killed a civilian, game over". It is essentially impossible to make an entirely non-linear game, where you can do anything, and you actions will all completely change very outcome. This is because it would be so difficult to design so many different outcomes (e.g. 5 diff levels for level 2, etc). I think deus ex achieved this at least as well as any other game.

Anyway, I've gone way of topic here lol. Basically, what im trying to say here, is that I think that the sound effects in deus ex really added alot to the game. Each person had pretty much unique character, and it made them count. Everyone had a role of SOME kind. From the doctor, to jacobson, to manderly, to simons, to paul, to the girl who was stealing ammo, navarre and gunther (who managed to have clear emothional importance to each other - despite being machines) to the little kid asking for food, to the guards who talk amoungst themselves about their situations, and i could go on forever.

JCs voice WAS very emotionless, but this is not a bad thing. This is how his character was supposed to be and helped with immersion. Imagine if jc had a very 'nice' voice, like say, Jacobson. You cant picture that voice on a stone-cold killer, or even a stealthy assassin. If it was a really evil sounding voice, then you woudlnt be able to imagine it on any character that isnt evil. JC's voice was very neutral. It didnt sound good, but didnt sound evil. It sounded indifferent. It sounded like the voice of a person who didnt really care about anything, as long as what had to be done was done. I think this made it all the more possible to immerse yourself in JC's character (unless you are a female perhaps) because you can be evil, or good, an assasin, or a grunt, and either way the voice would manage so fit the role. Very few games achieve this.

Deus ex is arole playign type game, in that you make teh character who you want it to be. It is very hard to make a voice for such roles, because its hard to get avoice to fit every person. This is why most RPG's (neverwinter nights, etc) where YOU decide who you are, dont have voice acting. They usually have a selection of lines you can say, you choose one, and the only voice you hear is the other person you are talking to. The could have made deus ex the same way, it woudl stil have worked, but i think the way ti came out was best.

For these reasons, I think the voice acting in deus ex is some of (if not THE) best ive heard in any game. If no other reason, then because of the character it gave to each..umm..character.

crimson_stallion
6th Sep 2003, 09:51
p.s.
Before you say anything, yes, I do have WAY too much time on my hands.

All this talk has me contemplating firing up deus ex for a 5th time..dont feel like re-installing it though.

Ahh well, man i hope I war is at least CLOSE to as good as the original !

SirVincealot
7th Sep 2003, 18:16
Makes no diff to me, as I'll be playing the game with the chick avatar.

sackme
18th Sep 2003, 12:15
I agree with loreleye it would sound stupid if his voice sudenly changed

His voice is cool

LOL:D at operative x

AlteredGlyph
22nd Sep 2003, 15:47
JC is played by the same voice actor. This is a confirmed fact.

Ammo
26th Sep 2003, 21:56
I thought it was really good. Though, it could stand to be a little cleaner. Not as dry/scratcy sounding.

PDenton
27th Sep 2003, 11:20
Originally posted by AlteredGlyph
JC is played by the same voice actor. This is a confirmed fact.
Do you know if Jay Franke will be doing the voice for the male Alex Denton. I mean he is the clone of JC.:D. Whose voice I should add, to keep on track, was perfectly suited to his character. I can't believe that this thread has reched its eleventh page!!!:rolleyes:

illicituprising
27th Sep 2003, 13:59
If JC’s voice changed then it would sound weird but if any of the French characters come back I do not care if you change their voices!

operative x
14th Oct 2003, 02:19
Do you know if Jay Franke will be doing the voice for the male Alex Denton. I mean he is the clone of JC.:D. Whose voice I should add, to keep on track, was perfectly suited to his character. I can't believe that this thread has reched its eleventh page!!!:rolleyes: Whats more amazing is people actually like the voice acting for him, yes it fit him, but, it was performed badly.

AlteredGlyph
14th Oct 2003, 19:09
No, I don't know who(or what:) ) will be voicing the 2 Alex Dentons(1 male voice actor, one female.) In fact, I don't think anybody knows.

Machinax
14th Oct 2003, 19:18
Yes, the name was released in one of the previews. No, I can't remember what the name was. No, I can't remember which preview it was. And no, it's not Jay Anthony Franke.

operative x
14th Oct 2003, 20:41
its the dude who played vageta.

Random
15th Oct 2003, 00:36
Chris Sabat is doing the male voice, Laura Bailey the female. They've both worked on Dragonball Z among other things, and Laura also did the voice for BloodRayne.

http://pc.ign.com/articles/437/437267p1.html

gamergirl
15th Oct 2003, 01:45
I haven't heard either of the two Alex actors, but I LOVED JC's voice (and Paul's). The voice is at least as important as the look, so I'm sure they both will be suitable for the characters.

Amazon Warrior
16th Oct 2003, 23:25
I'm in the 'I liked JC's voice' camp too, but the voice acting is a bit ropey in places. Tho' there is a moment in HK, I was talking to the grocer blokie down in the canals, and he asked me how I knew something (this is a while back, so I can't quite remember the exact conversation), and JC replies 'I went swimming in the canal' (something like that anyway) and sounds properly embarrased! There were more comedy moments, perhaps they'll return to me... Time to play it again, methinks! :D

I think this made it all the more possible to immerse yourself in JC's character (unless you are a female perhaps)

Dunno about that, I'm female, and I felt...
....bereft (that's the most appropriate word I can think of) when I'd finished playing DX for the first time. Stunned and awed also spring to mind, but I was pretty short of sleep by this point as well, so the memory is somewhat hazy... but I'd been through a proper rollercoaster of emotions throughout the game.

They sould get that guy from the Hitman series who plays agent 47 (the hitman for those of you that don't know) to do alex's voice.

I really hope not. I'm playing that at the moment, and I can't listen to him talk without wetting myself laughing. I mean, talk about comedy! JC was funny somethimes, and occasionally said things that made me s****** or put my head in my hands 'cos I couldn't believe anyone could be that dumb, but I still felt highly involved with him as a character. I don't particularly find this with agent 47. Maybe this has something to do with the 3rd person perspective tho. I prefer 1st person.

gareis
17th Oct 2003, 00:43
Do you know if Jay Franke will be doing the voice for the male Alex Denton. I mean he is the clone of JC.:D. Whose voice I should add, to keep on track, was perfectly suited to his character. I can't believe that this thread has reched its eleventh page!!!:rolleyes:

It may be a different series on the Denton line. Remember, while Paul and JC were tremendously similar, they weren't identical, not completely. Their voices were different, for one.

Since there's a "female JC clone" option, I think it's obvious that MJ12 was experimenting with several different types of clones on the agent line. The Page line was for leaders, it seems, or perhaps the intent was for Page to have a number of avatars with which to affect the world. The Simons line was for strategists. The Denton line was for agents. It's often useful to have female secret agents; a woman has an access key wherever she goes--a smile and demurely dropped eyes work wonders.

`gareis^\

Esquire
18th Oct 2003, 14:35
"i'll hav a beerr please"