PDA

View Full Version : How I finally got the game to work

zbellor
5th Jul 2003, 19:29
Like many others I had the problem of the game freezing after the intial Eidos splash screen. When this screen played, I could here the splash sound but after that screen I had nothing. No sound, no movie and I had to alt-tab to the desktop to kill the game. I tried all the usual tricks that were mentioned in here to no avail. Then the patch was released and I applied that. I still hung after the initial splash screen, but when I alt-tabbed to the desktop and back into the game I got the Core splash screen. Again the game froze so I tried the alt-tab trick one more time. Now I got the intro movie but again it froze, repeat alt-tab and now I was stuck at the press any key window. Nothing happened despite hitting several keys and mouse clicks.

At this point I was getting pretty bummed, after thinking that maybe I would be able to play the game after all. So I went back into settings to play around and this time I payed attention to the fact that I had 10 keyboard tabs in the settings panel. I had tab for keyboard and 9 tabs for Compaq Internet keyboard. So I disabled all the keyboard tabs except the first CI keyboard tab. This time when I started the game, every thing played through with no problems up to the press any key screen. Again I was froze here. So I went back into setting and enabled only the keyboard tab, and made sure all the Compaq Internet keyboard tabs were disabled.

Viola!!! Game works great now.

I haven't gone back and re-installed the game without the patch to see if this was the problem to start with, I am happy to finally be playing. Thought I would post my findings here in case it would help someone else.

Good luck and happy gaming!

Zach

Wallers
7th Jul 2003, 15:03
Worked for me as well. I had a USB mon?tor item which i had to disable.

Also had to untick Wait for Vsync for the menu to appear.

Eidos this is shocking you know? value your QA staff more, pay them more, don't treat them like scum and maybe you would produce cleaner games. Not being able to run then game on 'normal' systems isn't good enough!

CatSuit&Ponytail
7th Jul 2003, 15:14
:) Hurrah for disabling the superfluous input devices. I came across that fix the first day, and posted it a few times as a hint to others. But very few people seem to read FAQs or advice these days. They just want to vent their anger and spam about crappy this and that.

It was quite obvious to me from the first that a lot of problems were conflict issues. I haven't gamed so long just to learn nothing, eh? ;)

BkBaby999
7th Jul 2003, 15:22
good for you-don't you feel angry because you couldn't play your game and feel a little better now that you are playing....there's real treats in store for you now!

of course my probs were on a Playstation 2......so I can't really relate. I don't think I had to do anything to my computer to install The Lost Artifact or that it caused any probs at all. I just have a little bitty laptop Celeron so I wouldn't even try to put AoD on it :D and I don't think I would like changing my computer all around for a game either.

L3ST4T
8th Jul 2003, 13:07
Pfff.. I still can play it.. I look the keyboard list, but i only have one keyboard tab.. I tried to disable the Wait for V-Sync option, but nothing happens.. Somebody help me!!!

Exterminator
8th Jul 2003, 19:40
what settings screen do you mean??
can you maybe make a step by step reply??

so i mean...

first i go to
then i open...

etc

btw i have winxp

Greetz

coppertop
8th Jul 2003, 20:54
Here's what I had to do in addition to disabling all the "extra" keyboards:

1) Did a fresh "clean" install of the game.
2) Did a MINIMAL install.
3) Did NOT install the pc patch.
4) Chose "Software" render type.

Voila! the game worked after many hours of frustration!!!!! This is the ONLY way I could get the game to work on my system, which is:

800mhz PIII
ATI Radeon 9000
TBS Montego II
512mb RAM

Hopefully another pc patch will come out quickly to let everyone enjoy this game without all the hassles and headaches!!!!!!

Hammer07701
9th Jul 2003, 02:09
I was getting the "black screen of death" no matter what I tried. The game settings had a tab called "UPS". Since I do have a UPS connected to my system, I thought nothing of it at first but I did wonder why it would show up on my game settings. I was just about to give up when just for the hell of it, I disabled the UPS in the game settings and VOILA!, the game launched perfectly with ALL THE FMVs. What's even better is that I haven't come across any of the bugs other people have been complaining about. Here's the interesting part - I noticed that my disabled UPS shows up in the game's controller menu. Maybe part of the problem here is that the game attempts to detect every input device you have on your system and can't really determine if the device is a valid controller or not. Since my UPS is connected through my USB port, the game assumed it was a type of game controller and that was the conflict that caused the game to crash. Wouldn't it be funny if the people having problems have devices like webcams, MP3 players, etc connected to their systems and all they have to do is uplug them?? Well, maybe not that funny considering the frustration this game has caused for so many people. Anyway, this is what worked for me and I hope this info helps someone.

zbellor
9th Jul 2003, 10:11
Originally posted by Exterminator
what settings screen do you mean??
can you maybe make a step by step reply??

so i mean...

first i go to
then i open...

etc

btw i have winxp

Greetz

OK, the settings I was referring to is the settings tab on initial game start. When you first start the game, you get a menu screen with several radial buttons, start game, settings, readme and exit. Press the settings button and this will launch the settings screen. On this screen there will be several tabs across the top. The first three tabs should be general, your graphics card, and sound. After these tabs there could be tabs for almost anything the game detected on install. Make sure the first mouse tab and first keyboard tab are enabled and then disable every other tab there is. You might have to use the right scroll arrow to see all the tabs. I did this and left everything in the default settings and the game runs great. I even have AA enabled on my graphics adapter. Btw, I am running XP Home, SP1 on a 1.1ghz celery with 384mb sdram, sound blaster live! value, and geforce4 mx440 graphics card.

Zach

coppertop
9th Jul 2003, 15:03
A couple of other details........

The game also works on my system with "Fixed Function Hardware" selected. It will NOT work with "Shader Hardware" selected.

I still do not have the FMV's playing. The configuration of my system (see previous post) causes the game to go straight to the game play.

I haven't reinstalled the PC Patch. I will probably try that later today to see if I can get the FMV's working. Previously, installing the patch only allowed sound and no video.

At least I can play the game now. Note to Core Design: IT SHOULDN'T BE THIS DIFFICULT!!!!!!!!

My system is:

Windows 98se
800mhz PIII
ATI Radeon 9000 (bought just so I could play this game!)
512mb RAM
TBS Montego II

Hope this info helps someone with similar system.

:mad: :mad:

Wallers
9th Jul 2003, 20:16
Fixed Function cards are those which don't support Pixel and Vertex shaders, basically anything less than a Geforce 3 - Except the MX GeForce 4 cards. Your Radeon 9000 should run the full shader version, it should even run the 2.0 pixel shader version.

Make sure that you have the Catalyst 3.4 drivers from www.ati.com.

scott evil
10th Jul 2003, 00:27
frame rate compensation should help,i had it on smooth and i could see the main menu.i could here the menu sounds but had to restart,and changed the frame rate compensation to fast.it works now

coppertop
10th Jul 2003, 02:26
Thanks for the suggestion! I thought I had the latest drivers installed, but discovered them still in my download folder! After installing the latest drivers for my Radeon 9000, and installing the PC patch, everything works now! I can actually see the opening screens and the FMV's!!!