PDA

View Full Version : Proper use of cliffhangers!!!!

fneh
5th Jul 2003, 11:53
If there's one thing that annoys me about LOK is has to be the cliffhangers. The missing bosses, missing abilities and such aren' a problem. It's the fact that the story doesn't finish to ANY extent with each game so far in the soul reaver series.

BO had an ending, BO2 had an ending.

Now, cliffhangers can be fantastic if they're done properly and not just putting "to be continued" up half way through the story. That's called a commercial break!!!!:p

If defiance has a cliffhanger I'd want it to be something along this:

raziel and kain vanquish their enemies and sucessfully restore nosgoth. Raziel turns from kain and kain then raises the blood reaver as if to kill raziel from behind and imprison him within the reaver. Of course we don't actually see the outcome of this. nor does it say to be continued. We are just left wondering whether kain forged the soul reaver or if raziel escaped. THEY DON'T even need to end this cliffhanger. They could just make the next BO game and have kain holding the soul reaver and leave us in the dark. Afterall, the main story had come to a close.

Vampmaster
5th Jul 2003, 12:03
No, I think we should see if Kain traps Raz in the Reaver, and then get some hint (no matter how vague) of what coming next. Whether it be Kain's anouncing that he's going to try and free Raz or if Kain get's the spare wraith blade or Kain's pondering his next move.

fneh
5th Jul 2003, 12:05
Originally posted by Vampmaster
No, I think we should see if Kain traps Raz in the Reaver, and then get some hint (no matter how vague) of what coming next. Whether it be Kain's anouncing that he's going to try and free Raz or if Kain get's the spare wraith blade or Kain's pondering his next move.

yeah, I was just giving an example though. Y'know. Just pointing out that I don't want another ad break. The stoey needs telling properly remember. If anyone can do it right I'm sure Amy Henning can........right?

Zephonim
5th Jul 2003, 12:15
yeah, I was just giving an example though. Y'know. Just pointing out that I don't want another ad break. The stoey needs telling properly remember. If anyone can do it right I'm sure Amy Henning can........right?

I'd put money on it;)

Matt from Spam Buddies
5th Jul 2003, 12:21
Meh. Quite frankly, I don't give a diddley-squat about how they end Defiance, as longs as Defiance wont be the last LOK.

:D

But nice idea though, fneh.

- Matthew

Raz
5th Jul 2003, 12:27
I've seen people mention, in numerous places, that Kain may trap Raziel in the Reaver, though they seem to forget that Kain himself admits to Raziel that he must die in order for the Pillars of Nosgoth to be restored, which is Kain's goal... ;)

Vampmaster
5th Jul 2003, 13:39
I was just giving examples too. I just meant if they give us a hint of what Kains intentions are (and Raz if he's still around), or what's gone wrong then the ending's not so abrupt. I suppose it's difficult to to something like that without spoiling the next game. If we get to see what the Reaver actually does or why their enemies want it to be Raz who kills Kain. (Could be that if Kains soul is consumed it can never get back to the pillar.) Well if more of the questions like that are answered a cliff hanger might not be so frustrating. But, if there's nothing at all that we don't know by the end, then there's less to disscuss and it takes the fun out of it. I think it's better if we end up disscussing what happens next instead what just happened, maybe.

Matt from Spam Buddies
5th Jul 2003, 13:52
Indeed.

Sometimes it is very goot to speculate and discuss theories.

I say they should end it with a cliff-hanger or at least with an ending that will give us something to think about... and which will keep us eagerly waiting for the next chapter.

- Matthew

Lady_D
5th Jul 2003, 14:05
I'm with Matt, as long as Defiance isn't the last one (with Raziel :D ) we get to play, I don't care how it ends.

Apocrypha Roxy
6th Jul 2003, 00:57
The fangirls demand RAZZY!!!

I'm up for a cliffhanger - a good one. Something to get my hamster wheel turning, you know... like a good Hershey's bar, wondering how you get it wrapped up the way it was packaged after you open it and eat like 3/4ths of the chocolate...

The sheer complexity of it is overwhelming! I WANT TO KNOW!!!

:D

punkst4r
13th Jul 2003, 01:23
I like cliffhangers because they keep you inrterested but they can get frustraiting.