PDA

View Full Version : Warren Spector & Half-Life 2

Lawnboy360
4th Jul 2003, 16:14
From PCGamer's "From the Show Floor" article on E3:

"Warren Spector told us that after he watched the Half-Life 2 demo, he went back to the Eidos booth and cried. (Figuratively, we're sure: there was nothing to cry about "backstage" at the Eidos booth, where its spokemodels were happily chaging costumes!"

Trollslayer
4th Jul 2003, 16:21
Yup... HL2's engine is that good.

Big Ragu
4th Jul 2003, 17:33
It's amazing.

Lawnboy360
4th Jul 2003, 18:03
By the way, if you haven't seen HL2's e3 demonstration yet, get it from www.gametrailers.com . It's around 70mb, and it looks better than the huge (500mb) versions around. Believe me. Anyway, there's a .mov version of it, so you'll see right from the start the video quality. Around 23 minutes, it's very impressive.

Skylink
4th Jul 2003, 19:07
I had the same reaction as Warren. The engine is godlike

Big Ragu
4th Jul 2003, 22:53
Originally posted by Lawnboy360
By the way, if you haven't seen HL2's e3 demonstration yet, get it from www.gametrailers.com . It's around 70mb, and it looks better than the huge (500mb) versions around. Believe me. Anyway, there's a .mov version of it, so you'll see right from the start the video quality. Around 23 minutes, it's very impressive.

I downloaded it and the colors are distorted. The reds and blues are reversed.:confused:

Lawnboy360
5th Jul 2003, 00:15
Strange. Their were just fine for me. Water was blue and fire was red.

DarkForge
5th Jul 2003, 09:49
From what I've heard from info on other threads here, DX2 shouldn't give me any problems.

But I just pray that my system will be able to handle HL2...

Skylink
5th Jul 2003, 10:52
Originally posted by Big Ragu
I downloaded it and the colors are distorted. The reds and blues are reversed.:confused:

Try updating the codec

Lawnboy360
5th Jul 2003, 14:47
But I just pray that my system will be able to handle HL2...

Apparently one of the important feature of the source engine is scalability...

Believe it or not, but...

GamingNEXT - With the outstanding graphics that HL2 is using, what should gamers have, minimally, to run this game?
Gabe Newell - An 800 MHz P-III and a DX6 level hardware accelerator (e.g. TNT).
http://www.gamingnext.com/articles/index.asp?id=17

Big Ragu
5th Jul 2003, 17:19
Yeah on lower system Half-life 2 will look like Half-Life 1. Then it goes up with your system from there.

DarkForge
6th Jul 2003, 10:06
That's what I read, but it wouldn't be the first time that I been metaphorically "screwed over" in my life! :D

Actually, I can't even get the first "Half-Life" running on my new computer! Maybe it's because I'm running WinXP, I don't know. I've still got my old computer as a back-up, but I can't take advantage of the High Definition Pack on that one.

Hopefully, with a P4 2.4Ghz and a GeForce 3, I will have the power...

Now I just need the cash! :D

CluelessMorgan
6th Jul 2003, 18:10
I got xp and Half Life runs like a champ. I know my system will be fine to handle HL 2 but I dont know if my video card can handle max ( its a gforece 4 ti 4600) can handle everything maxed out but it will still work. It runs Ut2003 at max settings on most maps at full with 40 fps so.

operative x
6th Jul 2003, 18:35
I have seen the 70MB .mov version on IGN but it looks horrible. I downloaded the 600MB and the quality is amazing. But anyway, i am sooooooo excited about Half-life 2! That games is going to KICK ASS!!!

Big Ragu
6th Jul 2003, 18:45
Yeah, Ive had the 600mb one for awhile and it looks amazing. Im not only excited about HL2 itself, but the mods are gonna be amazing hopefully.

Trollslayer
6th Jul 2003, 20:06
I downloaded a film of Half Life's 2 presentation. While the quality wasn't that good, i'm still stunned with it. The game itself will no doubt beat Doom 3 in terms of scripted sequences and use of more fluid models and excellent AI, while no doubt Doom 3 will blow away HL2 with better ambiance and lighting effects and incredible textures.

Of course, im hoping both will have modding tools, so... MWAHAHAHA!