PDA

View Full Version : linear or non-linear stories?

operative x
4th Jul 2003, 00:55
What kind of story is the best, linear or non-linear strories. Like metal gear solid is linear and deus ex is non linear stroy. What would be the best type of story for a game??? please give your comments, Thanks:)

JeffDenton
4th Jul 2003, 01:05
Non-Linear is by far the best; I love it because it is FAR more realistic than completely linear. I love having that go anywhere, do anything capability that you had in Deus Ex. Other good features are the choices you made that changed the ending, or even some things before then (like killing Navarre on the NSF plane or helping Paul at the Hotel). It's just the perfect way to make an FPS.

Lawnboy360
4th Jul 2003, 01:27
Non-linear, if done well, is a lot more immersing because you -chose- to do this or that. We are still really far away from totally non-linear games... GTA3 is a non-linear game, but every player will make the same missions eventually. What I'm talking about is a game where just about everything is caused by the player's actions, of course it would need a system which would generate the content (missions, objectives, whatever). I'm dreaming, so I might as well go on : in dialogue, there would be a voice recognition system which would analyse your tone and the meaning of what you said, and it would generate the appropriate answer considering what you said and the personality of the person you're talking to, then process it, complete with adjustments to give the character a unique voice.

Like I said, I'm dreaming...

JeffDenton
4th Jul 2003, 01:53
Well, Lawnboy, that would be REALLY cool. A game based on everything you do and the opponents and enemies respond accordingly and customizing your character so deeply that he has even a unique voice... wow. But, although we are quite far off, I'm satisfied with the non-linear gameplay presented in DX. All I want to see is that built upon in DX2- and a little more character customization, AT LEAST as far as appearance goes...

Infinity MTX
4th Jul 2003, 02:05
LOL i agree Jeff heheh

TheDerf
4th Jul 2003, 02:08
Theres still nothing wrong with linear games. I voted neutral. Deus Ex was based on its... non-linearness. A game like Enter the Matrix is based on beating the **** out of people. A game like Metal Gear Solid is based on tactical espionage action (hence its subtitle). As long as the concept is good, and the story as well, then I say it'll be a good game.

JeffDenton
4th Jul 2003, 02:33
Deus Ex was not based completely on its "non-linearness." Much of it was the interaction between NPC and player, stunning graphics, long gameplay, appealing HUD, multiple endings, character development, great story, and a number of other things. It's non-linear gameplay just was one, and a main reason why it was great. It seems that the public generally likes to take time to explore such beautiful environments.

TheDerf
4th Jul 2003, 06:28
Deus Ex was not based completely on its "non-linearness." Much of it was the interaction between NPC and player, stunning graphics, long gameplay, appealing HUD, multiple endings, character development, great story, and a number of other things.
The game was not based on:
-who you talk to next
-walking around cities for a look at things
-spending as much time as possible playing the game
-looking at the pretty colors you can change the HUD to,
-(sadly) seeing what ending you'll get after all the time you've played
-or doing tasks for the sole purpose of making yourself stronger.

I couldn't say the game wasn't based on a story because it wouldn't make sense, but it is based on it's non-linear gameplay. Ion Storm made it so you'll be faced with doing key things at key moments and choosing the way you want to play.

(i.e.)You don't feel like running through the front door with your assault shotgun blazing? Fine, go to the roof and crawl through the ventalation system until you get to where you want to go.

You move through the game looking for another non-linear thing to do while advancing yourself through the story. Period.

Loreleye
4th Jul 2003, 09:45
The thing is that Deus ex is totaly non linear, cuz you could do whatever you wantet at whatever time you wantet, You can say that you could not travel to other destination, Thats logic, you id not have a way to travel on, Well do you always have that???? Lets not forget that you do aint a cop that could leave work at 4. and dont think about work, you where in the story, so surely you had to do something to get the next area, cuz it would not make sence to travel to Hong Kong at the beginning of the game! You also went where the chopter went, so you could not decide where to go, since that did the pilot! And he is a computer carachter, not a human!!!!!

Loreleye
4th Jul 2003, 09:46
You arent always in charge of your real life either, are you????

Trollslayer
4th Jul 2003, 16:04
As much as i liked DX its somewhat linear story path put me a bit down. I found more fun on the path branching each level provided.

On an aside, what i like most depends. If a linear story has a good emphasis on story and has path branching (like DX1), i'm good for it. If on the other hand it presents a non-linear storyline but has path converging, i also might like it. Depends, mostly.

JeffDenton
5th Jul 2003, 01:14
Well, the idea is that you helped to choose the outcome of the story. And as rebuttal to theDerf's comments, I did not mean the entire game was BASED on these aspects, but it was rated highly BECAUSE of these aspects. You cannot truthfully say the game would've been even nearly as highly rated, fun, or moving without even one of these aspects. That is what made this game great- the perfectly flawless integrating of all of these things.

Leo
6th Jul 2003, 08:16
as I read all the posts here I came over the idea:
non-linear game could be only multiplayer [but unfortinately the main objective "kill opponent" bleibs stehen] where every person [even a kid] is a player.

to make the player actions non-linear as much as possible the story should be linear, for example, the time goes on in the game, the days change, every day Alex receives new objectives, if not completed, for example, you left the game running and did not complete any objective the "boss" would fire you -> game over. But such gameplay comes with it's negative side - as the story never changes the player could save and load and prevent many happenings, like terrorist attack [Minority report], save ppl from sniper attack and whatever happens in the game
of coure, Alex could go as a bad guy :)

Prohass
6th Jul 2003, 10:57
This may have allready been said allready, but it largely depends on what the story actually is. It can be **** either way, I mean, Halflife had a linear story, it was great. Daikitana had a linear story, it was crap. Green? Super green?

operative x
6th Jul 2003, 19:22
well, i don't mind eitherway. Like MGS1 was linear but was really fun to play and uncover the story. And also Silent Hill, Silent Hill 2 was really fun also and that was linear. I think if the story is great, than i am all for it.

Loreleye
6th Jul 2003, 19:54
Ok, a game that is linear, can be perfect, but also the other way, it comes on to what you like, and dont, and how well the game is! what is it point exactly, one point in deus ex, is that you should interact whit your eviroment, and that you could kill whoever you want, and dont kill anyone!

Lawnboy360
6th Jul 2003, 21:52
Well, a game can be linear on different levels. The story can be linear, with only one ending, but also have non-linear levels. Medal of Honor had really linear levels, and the feeling of being on a rail was bad for the immersion.

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
15th Jul 2003, 07:54
yes, it's the same thing for Max Payne and Enter the Matrix, not only have you a linear storyline, but inside every level, you have only one way to go from point A to point B, it's like running in a corridor, with moving target on the way.

Arthanyel
16th Jul 2003, 22:57
Interactive storytelling has a long way to go in games. I have yet to see a "non-linear" story that is truly non-linear - Deus Ex was in effect a linear environment in that each mission had to be completed in sequence and key parts of the story line were completely fixed. It was, however, FAR more flexible during play than, say Metal Gear.

The single most important story feature from Deus Ex was not the story - it was the ability for a player to have the story play out successfully regardless of how the player decided to approach the game (rocket toter, ninja sniper, etc.).

I'd love to see feedback on whether anyone would be truly interested in a *real* interactive story - one where the story truly changes based on what you do. As one example of how DX did NOT have this (but what I would like to see) is:

At the point you have to chose between staying with UNATCO or leaving to work with the "terrorists", you have no options. A real interactive story would let you stay with UNATCO and the next mission(s) would be sensible for that, while continuing to show the clues that UNATCO is a front.

I work in the industry, and I know the conventional arguments about *real* interaction - but what do you all think?

Bio Denton
17th Jul 2003, 09:37
Actually, Deus Ex was almost completely linear, you had no real say in the way things went, other than picking the ending and a few minor elements.

Deus Ex was about the freedom to do what you liked between mission segments, but at the end of the day, there was no character development and you could not change the course of the story, other than a few, simple yes or no options, such as, "Does Paul survive?", "Does Maggie Chow die in her apartment or in VersaLife?", "Does Jock survive?", etc, etc. No matter your choices on these things, they did not affect the outcome of the story line to a degree where you could say that the game was anything but linear.

If they could give DX2 more freedom and add some levels of non-linear to the gameplay and storyline that would be great, but DX was not non-linear. You could simply take different paths to the same result.

(I just noticed the post before mine basically said this)

crimson_stallion
22nd Jul 2003, 14:51
Originally posted by TheDerf
The game was not based on:
-who you talk to next
-walking around cities for a look at things
-spending as much time as possible playing the game
-looking at the pretty colors you can change the HUD to,
-(sadly) seeing what ending you'll get after all the time you've played
-or doing tasks for the sole purpose of making yourself stronger.

I couldn't say the game wasn't based on a story because it wouldn't make sense, but it is based on it's non-linear gameplay. Ion Storm made it so you'll be faced with doing key things at key moments and choosing the way you want to play.

(i.e.)You don't feel like running through the front door with your assault shotgun blazing? Fine, go to the roof and crawl through the ventalation system until you get to where you want to go.

You move through the game looking for another non-linear thing to do while advancing yourself through the story. Period.

I wouldn't say it's BASED on its non-linearness, (if that's a word) but it was definately a major feature of the game. It was BASED on the life and adventures of JC denton i guess...

Hannibal
28th Jul 2003, 19:34
Non-linear stories tend to be fairly weak. That's because the story has to be able to accomodate a wider range of role-players. A few nonlinear-type games have managed to create a great story, like Planescape:Torment, but they are kind of rare.

El Padrino
7th Aug 2003, 02:34
Uh, while I thought Deus Ex was the best game I've ever played, it had a pretty linear storyline, and the fact that it had levels, much like most other First Person Shooters had levels, levels you couldn't go back to, it doesn't really have any more of a "go anywhere, do anything" feel to it than a game like Goldeneye or Doom has. You could do quite a bit, yes, but to say it had that kind of feel to it is stretching things a bit.

Deus Ex had open-ended gameplay, where you could tackle one obsticle in various ways. That's not non-linearity.

Morrowind let you go anywhere and do anything. I've never played it, but judging from reviews and watching my friends play, Grand Theft Auto lets you go anwhere and do anything.

Anyway, as for the poll, I don't know. I like them both, depending on their execution. But an open ended world seems more suited for online multiplayer games, like MMORPGS. It's always fun to run around doing whatever you want, but I think the comparitive advantage single player games have over massively multiplayer games is it's capacity to present a deep, focused, well paced narrative. And with that said, I guess I'll go with linear stories... with open-ended gameplay.

Trollslayer
8th Aug 2003, 15:37
Originally posted by El Padrino
Uh, while I thought Deus Ex was the best game I've ever played, it had a pretty linear storyline, and the fact that it had levels, much like most other First Person Shooters had levels, levels you couldn't go back to, it doesn't really have any more of a "go anywhere, do anything" feel to it than a game like Goldeneye or Doom has. You could do quite a bit, yes, but to say it had that kind of feel to it is stretching things a bit.

I believe that DX had a linear storyline, with few branching points. The true non-linear aspect of the game was how you could go about, and finish, levels. You could kill everyone on Liberty Island, or just avoid them. You could stun them, or snipe them. You could give Gunther a weapon, or let him fend for himself. Not forgetting your decision of which skills and augs to use/upgrade. Your decisions trough the fixed levels were what was non-linear.

Deus Ex had open-ended gameplay, where you could tackle one obsticle in various ways. That's not non-linearity.

Actually, it is non-linearity from a gameplay point of view, but its not non-linearity in terms of game advancement.

Morrowind let you go anywhere and do anything. I've never played it, but judging from reviews and watching my friends play, Grand Theft Auto lets you go anwhere and do anything.

Morrowind and GTA are slightly different in their approach to open-endness. Morrowind puts you in a vast gameworld (a vast island, that is :) ), and the vast majority of said island is open to you. Whats not open, you can lockpick, or find quests that deal with any closed off location. But it relies heavilly on a player's own exploration focus. The big problem with MW is that the main storyline in itself isn't that great - and since you can lose yourself in other quests, you lose focus. Had the story been more interesting, or the game had been shorter in size and bigger on story-focusing, it could've avoided being so boring at times.

GTA on the other hand is and isn't linear. You can walk all over around the city, jack and drive cars, boats and even a plane, kill pedestrians, policemen and gang members. You can find and buy guns and overall do what you will. However, it has limitations - you can go anywhere but not everything will be open to you, no matter what you do. For instance you won't be able to enter buildings at any time (except for construction yards, garages or in cutscenes).

The game structure itself puts you on one part of the city to begin with - after doing certain missions, the way to the other part of the city will open up. The same happens for all 3 parts of the city. The game is mission based, and while you can decide at times who you work for, the main-story missions have to be played out for the story to progress (and for the island to be completely unlocked). And the gameplay itself is more about car theft (as the name implies) and completing missions while driving, though that doesn't exclude missions where you can walk and do things. But since the maps are smaller, more populated and with more action, the game, while less open-ended as Morrowind, gives more immediate fun playing it. The fact that there are diverse missions and combat can be more strategic than MW's, it racks up more points in fun.

Trevion
12th Aug 2003, 05:06
Originally posted by Trollslayer

Actually, it is non-linearity from a gameplay point of view, but its not non-linearity in terms of game advancement.

Agreed -- I think that's the fundamental point that's missing in a lot of this thread. I think we'd all agree that, while games with completely linear gameplay can be interesting, games are more fun the more different ways there are to finish individual objectives. Ideally, a game would have a engine detailed enough that you could McGyver together solutions to any given objective all day.

However, non-linear story is a completely different idea. While it's true that some stories are compelling purely because of the world they're in, and that just walking around in that world would be enjoyable, I contend that most stories are compelling because of the choices the characters make. Crime and Punishment is not interesting because of the world Raskolnikoff lived in, but because of what he did, and the effect it had on him.

Similarly, to the extent that a game's story branches, it will diminish the time that the authors have to spend on any particular story line, and, in all likelihood, the impact of each story line as well. Of course, in an ideal story line, the writers of a game would have the time to develop a spiderweb Nobel-prize winning storylines for each game. This world is far from that ideal, though.

A common claim is that linearity gives games a forced and less enjoyable experience. I disagree. Linearity in solving individual objectives is certainly annoying -- it makes sense that I can kick over the trash can. If I can't, the gameplay is diminshed. On the other hand, if my character has been believably set up as a tough-guy cop who believes that the best way to deal with perps is to off them all up front, and in a cut screen he then misses a shot and kills the widow, I don't feel annoyed that I didn't get to try the shot myself; the action made sense in the context of the story, I accept it, and I'm interested to see where the story goes next.

Loreleye
13th Aug 2003, 08:43
I got a game where several numbers of ways to the end, is: starwars, episode 1 racer. I dont say that it wasnt a good game, but sometimes, there where one way you had to take in order to win, and that is not good to me at least. So several routs to end can be a bad thing to.
But I loved doom, and doom 2. They where linear. But I also loved the GTA games!!!

ginger_grunger
13th Aug 2003, 11:43
as long as the story is as great as DX1, with just as many different ways to complete your objectives, im happy...lets stop moanin and cross our fingers for the release of for me, the most anticipated PC game in development

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
13th Aug 2003, 12:45
Originally posted by ginger_grunger
as long as the story is as great as DX1, with just as many different ways to complete your objectives, im happy...lets stop moanin and cross our fingers for the release of for me, the most anticipated PC game in development

good try, but insufficient. We have been a few here to try to stop people from whining about how they know the game will be bad, dumbed down, etc, based on a few screenshot from 1925, a video from 1927, and a lot of unfounded rumors (not speaking about the wars between console players and PC players). it just doesn't work.

Trollslayer
13th Aug 2003, 17:02
Originally posted by Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
good try, but insufficient. We have been a few here to try to stop people from whining about how they know the game will be bad, dumbed down, etc, based on a few screenshot from 1925, a video from 1927, and a lot of unfounded rumors (not speaking about the wars between console players and PC players). it just doesn't work.

Yeah you're right. We should leave this forum and let it be ravished by "Dear Eidos, this Christmas, i'd like my DX:IW to have the following..."-themed lists, go deep into a bunker, and only re-emerge after DX:IW has been launched.

ginger_grunger
13th Aug 2003, 19:35
[QUOTE]Yeah you're right. We should leave this forum and let it be ravished by "Dear Eidos, this Christmas, i'd like my DX:IW to have the following..."-themed lists, go deep into a bunker, and only re-emerge after DX:IW has been launched.

totally...i think we should have an entry test for access to true gamers also, who dont whinge all the bloody time...any ideas?

Bio Denton
13th Aug 2003, 21:37
A "true" gamer being a pseudo-intellectual?

PDenton
13th Aug 2003, 22:00
Originally posted by ginger_grunger
totally...i think we should have an entry test for access to true gamers also, who dont whinge all the bloody time...any ideas?
Show them a few screenshots of a game and an old video, ask them what they think. If they say I want this, this and this changed because it's rubish and won't work, they fail. If they point out what they think may be a problem but don't winge and trust the company then they pass.:D

I think that we need these people who winge though. They give us a reason to be here and discuss our opinions. I mean what would the point of a forum be if everyone agreed and thought to leave the designers to it because it hasn't been released. No one would ever comment on the game! Besides some of the designers must look at forums time to time to see what the consumers want.;)

Back on track, I think that a completely non-linear game would be wonderful. I don't mean just like Deus Ex where it gave you one or two different options, I mean an intelegent game that could generate maps and characters with unique pesonalities. It would allow you do provide your own responses to a question and create mission objectives appropriately. This is of course impossible, and I'm just dreaming. Maybe one day, who knows?:confused:

IW shopuld definitely ad a bit more non-linearity to the story, for example offer different mission objectives if you act as a good guy (knock people out or avoid them), to if you go in guns blazing. This would really add to the replay value. I hope it has lots of side-missions a the time to complete the primary objectives it being cut shorter, or so i've read.:(

Trevion
13th Aug 2003, 22:08
Originally posted by PDenton
Back on track, I think that a completely non-linear game would be wonderful. I don't mean just like Deus Ex where it gave you one or two different options, I mean an intelegent game that could generate maps and characters with unique pesonalities. It would allow you do provide your own responses to a question and create mission objectives appropriately. This is of course impossible, and I'm just dreaming. Maybe one day, who knows?:confused:

That's pretty much an AI-complete (http://www.catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/A/AI-complete.html) problem. I wouldn't expect a solution any time soon.

IW shopuld definitely ad a bit more non-linearity to the story, for example offer different mission objectives if you act as a good guy (knock people out or avoid them), to if you go in guns blazing. This would really add to the replay value. I hope it has lots of side-missions a the time to complete the primary objectives it being cut shorter, or so i've read.:(

I strongly support that idea -- as long as it doesn't take priority over telling a good story.

Trollslayer
13th Aug 2003, 22:31
Originally posted by Bio Denton [/i]
A "true" gamer being a pseudo-intellectual?

Whos acting like this?... :confused:

Originally posted by PDenton
Show them a few screenshots of a game and an old video, ask them what they think. If they say I want this, this and this changed because it's rubish and won't work, they fail.

Ok folks you heard the man. 90% of you, leave the forum. You have ten minutes before we loose the hounds!

Actually this would be very good for DX:IW. You'll remember from DX1 that the standard "Mission failed - Game Over" shtick was removed. Contrary to other mission based shooters, failure on an objective did not represent a complete failure of the game itself. This was visible in DX1, with examples like Savage's daughter - failing to save was not the end of the game, merely a failure to an objective, and it still let you progress (another example would be shooting the NSF commander on top of the Statue). In the same way, different reactions from people would change depending on win/lose situations, and except on very specific moments (like when working towards merging the AI's, for example, where you couldn't fail) this approach is welcome. A dynamic-matrix style of game is possible, in terms of storyline. While not necessarily branching it out ad infinitum, (there could be a compromise between freeform and story-driven) it could present, both mission and story-wise, variations of play in terms of achieving/faling objectives. Going against orders and shooting a terrorist officer might shorten your pay, but you might get a discount from the weapons quartermaster; if you find about a possible terrorist cell working in an abandoned factory before the story hints that you might go there will allow you to check it out earlier; etc..

Of course, while these are nice, too much will probably not suit DX:IW's style of play. While the game is about choices, its still not to a degree that they might create such varied results storywise and missionwise; it might get too diluted. Who knows, in a future Spector game, perhaps...

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
14th Aug 2003, 07:29
Yeah you're right. We should leave this forum and let it be ravished by "Dear Eidos, this Christmas, i'd like my DX:IW to have the following..."-themed lists, go deep into a bunker, and only re-emerge after DX:IW has been launched.

hmmm. or we take all the "I want" lists, and put them all in one bunker with not enough food, and go on with our discussions.

seriously, what I meant was : most of the threads here end up being either a rant against the game, or the company, or the console/PC players.

I prefer the more constructive threads (the thread about punching was a good discussion, no complain, no insult, just constructive arguments).

jungernaut
14th Aug 2003, 08:50
DX2 needs a linear story--whatever that means. To me it means that the story should be based on Alex's decisions about how to go through each level (each part of the story), but each level is premade--there are only so many variations Ion Storm can come up with.

True freedom would mean Alex could hang up his jacket and put his boots in the closet, forsaking the spy/antiterrorist, etc. world and marrying young. (S)he could do anything at all, but we gamers are forced to live in the real world, with real risks--no game over messages telling us to try again.

The point is that the game has to have direction, a limited number of possibilities or we're asking too much. If gamers ruled the world and asked for a game that at each turn would have say 100 different anles (Deus Ex 1 gave you like 4 different ways to do things, on average--off the top of my head), then imagine the number of smart and talented--not to mention--dedicated people that it would take to produce such a game. Did everyone watch the credits for DX1? How many different people did voice acting? Nevertheless, most of those people did several voices. We really ask too much if we want infinite freedom of movement--that's what going to a club, my favorite spectator sport, is for.

Anyhow, I do enjoy the increased customizability. I'll have to first play as female, since I imagine her voice is not the guys and she can make Lara Croft look like a slut (I guess she can do that all by herself). I enjoy an engaging storyline where my character can talk about politics, read books, dance at clubs, buy 30.06 from old Southerer NSF retirees, and most of all, do all that fun secret agent stuff.

I expect and anticipate an outstanding game, and I suspect i'll like it as much as the original. I expect the subtitile "Invisible War" to have relevance to the plot. I believe that the story, while "linear," will allow us plenty of breathing room; we will be given even more ways to complete missions, and maybe we'll not always have to complete them to advance the story.

What I anticipate the most is the new clothing fashion, especially for the women i'll mingle with (only male Alex) at the night clubs. Just kidding, I anticipate the most meeting old characters such as Jock, Tong, Alex Jacobson, any surviving Illuminati/Majestic 12 (hey maybe JC originally ran past Simons at the ocean lab and Area 51--he didn't want to see his reflection in that hall of mirrors.), and obviously, Paul and JC. All hopefull will have original voice actors and actresses.

With all those horsefeathers settling behind me, I leave a hopeful paraphrase (it may be exact quote from Tolkien, bear with me)courtesy of Gandalf the Grey (not White yet, and in the book not the movie):

[He who breaks a thing to find out what it is has left
the path of wisdom]

I sincerely believe Ion Storm will not dissapoint, and even as a three-year-old refuses dinner until he tries it (and then likes it), let us wait and watch; we will be happy when Deus Ex 2 comes out.

Sorry, this got off track, yet I continue my wilting (horsefeathers)with the subject for a new thread:

What were (or was) Bob Page's final word(s)?
I believe when JC nuked Area 51 from within, Page muttered to himself, thinking of his childhood's snowy winters, "Rosebud." :cool:

Bio Denton
14th Aug 2003, 10:35
Ok folks you heard the man. 90% of you, leave the forum. You have ten minutes before we loose the hounds!

89.2%

operative x
14th Aug 2003, 10:49
Show them a few screenshots of a game and an old video, ask them what they think. If they say I want this, this and this changed because it's rubish and won't work, they fail. If they point out what they think may be a problem but don't winge and trust the company then they pass.
"Ok operative x... what do you think of this screen shot"
"Um...well... I think they should do th-" Interrupted by PDenton.
"Ok! Ok! That’s...enough! Congratulations! You passed!"
*PDenton's hand slowly moves under his desk and pushes a button. The floor under Operative x opens.*
"NOOO OOO OOO!

ginger_grunger
14th Aug 2003, 10:53

[/B]

95%

Gruf
24th Aug 2003, 05:05
uhhhhh... metal gear solid (the first one) had multiple endings, and you chose the tempo (stealth or action, it was playable as both), had multiple pathways of entering buildings.....
by the arguements posted above, this makes the game as non-linear as deus ex...

DarkPhoenix
7th Sep 2003, 01:45
I prefer non-linearity, assuming the story is at least linear enough to provide some sort of continuum. But if it's of sufficient quality, I don't really care how linear it is or isn't. The Final Fantasy stories have some of the most fantastic plots in video games and are for the most part strictly linear. Quality is definitely more important than quantity.