PDA

View Full Version : IMPORTANT: Modeled Mods

Big Ragu
2nd Jul 2003, 21:46
I really want Ion Storm to make the weapons models show up on your weapon say if you agree or not so Ion Storm could implement it.

*CATMAN*

I misspelled modeled in subject, please fix.

Icarus
2nd Jul 2003, 22:43
Yes I to would like to see the weapons show up on the weapons. It would be helpful when facing enemies with modded weapons so you could zoom in on them with your scope and see if there is a scope on their pistol so that you might prepare for them. I just wonder how they would show the 20 accuracy mods I put on my sniper rifle.

Loreleye
3rd Jul 2003, 13:05
you should be able to se if they had scopes on, but the other might not be so easliy, and think, are you sure that you can see wether it has a accuracy mod or not? so that they had to show it??? You might could see wether it was a laser scope or not, but thats it!

Something I saw aome other place about that the crossbow should be able to knock the enemies out imidiatly, or you would have to run all the time, and that sucks! That aint a silence aproach!

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
3rd Jul 2003, 14:03
maybe make a stunning bolt, for the crossbow, wich would be like the baton, but better range (and less accuracy than a normal bolt, since the head is heavier and the bolt less balanced)

Trollslayer
3rd Jul 2003, 14:27
Like i said in a previous thread, its not that hard to implement, so i can see it being done.

Lawnboy360
3rd Jul 2003, 15:48
Like anyone would vote against that :) .

Big Ragu
3rd Jul 2003, 18:05
Yeah, the only mods you would be able to see would be scope and laser, but that's alright with me.

I hope no one would vote against it, I just want Eidos or Ion Storm to see that this is an easy feature to implement and we want it.

Icarus
3rd Jul 2003, 21:09
Originally posted by Lawnboy360
Like anyone would vote against that :) .

Sorry, somebody DID vote against it. :eek: Wonder who :confused:

Lawnboy360
3rd Jul 2003, 21:19
Someone who read my post and thought it would be funny to actually vote against it I guess.

TheDerf
3rd Jul 2003, 22:47
Originally posted by Big Ragu
Yeah, the only mods you would be able to see would be scope and laser, but that's alright with me.

...the silencer and the clip mods. ;)

I was thinking, maybe Ion Storm can combine the accuracy, recoil, and range mod into one thing. The immediate result of modding your weapon would be a longer barrel. I never had enough weapon mods for my guns in Deus Ex. Combining these could fix that... maybe. Just a thought.

JeffDenton
4th Jul 2003, 02:28
I definitely would like to see models of mods on the gun, but not all would be visible. The accuracy, reload, etc. ones probably wouldn't. The laser sight, scope, recoil, and many of the new ones may be shown on the weapon, although the models may take up a considerable amount of extra space.

Big Ragu
4th Jul 2003, 22:33
I was flippin' through a October 2002 PC Gamer and looking at some screenshots of IW and saw a woman holding a pistol with what looks like a silencer. Perhaps Ion Storm is already putting to weapon mod models on the weapons?

operative x
6th Jul 2003, 21:11
why not instead replace "Weapon Mods" with gun parts?
For instence for recoil they could have a barrel wieght to help lower the recoil. And for accuracy they could have a longer barrel. So that way all of your modifications will show up, allowing the player to make a really cool look'in gun.

Big Ragu
7th Jul 2003, 04:41
I think that would be much better actually.:cool:

I think it was Kingpin that really let you customize and buy upgrades for your gun and that was the only cool part about that game.

Icarus
7th Jul 2003, 05:02
Originally posted by operative x
For instence for recoil they could have a barrel wieght to help lower the recoil. And for accuracy they could have a longer barrel. So that way all of your modifications will show up, allowing the player to make a really cool look'in gun.

Well eventually you might have a 15 foot sniper rifle that has a barrel weighing in at 20 lbs. But, I guess it would be cool, though.

Big Ragu
7th Jul 2003, 18:33
In Deus Ex, the amount of mods you put on the gun were limited, you could only put like 15 ,or so, accuracy mods mods then the game wouldn't allow anymore. Thats all Ion Storm has to do.

Icarus
7th Jul 2003, 19:31
In Deus Ex, the amount of mods you put on the gun were limited, you could only put like 15 ,or so, accuracy mods mods then the game wouldn't allow anymore. Thats all Ion Storm has to do.

Whoops, forgot about that part:(

operative x
7th Jul 2003, 19:37
of course it would be limited. The pistol woud'nt end up like some huge sniper rifle. They could do something for accuracy like first they could give you some kind of special lubricant, then the longer barrel, then maybe they could make the barrel out of some special material, ect ect. Basically just keep upgrading. And this would be the same with the recoil. First they could do the barrel weight, then some kind of special shock absorber (makeing it up as i go along) but something like this basically.

Icarus
7th Jul 2003, 19:50
It would be kinda funny to smack someone over the head with your mile long sniper rifle though;)

Big Ragu
7th Jul 2003, 19:55
Yeah, who would need to snipe at 200 yards when you could just poke them in the eye with your barrel.

Icarus
7th Jul 2003, 20:12
*An MJ12 trooper feels something poke the back of his head, he turns around only to see the barrel of a sniper rifle extending beyond view. The sniper rifle then swoops upward and flys down upon the poor trooper's head.*

Meanwhile on Liberty Island...

JC: Well, I just cleaned out Vandenberg.

;)

Big Ragu
7th Jul 2003, 20:26
:D :D :D haha

Lawnboy360
8th Jul 2003, 01:01
:D

mikepayne666
8th Jul 2003, 01:27
none of the NPCs have mods!!

Big Ragu
8th Jul 2003, 01:31
Perhaps they do in IW?

mikepayne666
8th Jul 2003, 01:36
well its a dumb idea

mikepayne666
8th Jul 2003, 01:38
the point of those mods is so you had the advantage if you both have it it be like both, the NPC and you not having any mods

Big Ragu
8th Jul 2003, 01:56
I'll be happy if I can see the mods on my gun.

mikepayne666
8th Jul 2003, 02:13
yeah it'd be cool to see them on the gun we have, but NPC dont have mods so no need to put them on

Big Ragu
8th Jul 2003, 02:17
I agree.

operative x
8th Jul 2003, 02:48
Nobody ever said anything about puting weapon mods on the NPC'S in the first place.

TheDerf
8th Jul 2003, 02:56
Originally posted by operative x

I like it, but technically, weapon mods are gun parts, yes? I know what you mean though. It'd be even better if you had to take your weapon and your parts to a gunsmith and have him fix up your weapon for you.

PS: The last thing you want to do to your gun is make it heavier. Lengthening the barrel acually helps cut down recoil.

operative x
8th Jul 2003, 03:00
lol I made the barrel weight thing outta the top of my head:)

Big Ragu
8th Jul 2003, 03:31
The heavier the gun, the less recoil. It has to do with inertia. I can't really explain it in words, but heres an example. I linebacker (force from shot) runs at a foam block (light weight gun) and easily knocks it back. The same linebacker runs at a 50 ton boulder (heavy gun) and dosn't budge it.

I like the idea of the gunsmith, but forced to use mods there?. I would rather be able to put parts on my gun anywhere, but possibly buy parts at the gunsmith.

mikepayne666
8th Jul 2003, 03:38
Nobody ever said anything about puting weapon mods on the NPC'S in the first place.

oh yeah well what is this?!?!?

[i]Originally posted by Big Ragu
I really want Ion Storm to make the weapons models show up on your weapon say if you agree or not so Ion Storm could implement it.

*CATMAN*

I misspelled modeled in subject, please fix.

operative x
8th Jul 2003, 03:44
Big Ragu is right, thederf, the usp Match uses the same concept.
The usp with the barrel weight (http://www.streetpro.com/usp/images/match1.jpg) This is were i got the barrel weight concept.

Big Ragu
8th Jul 2003, 04:04
What is what what mikepayne666?

operative x
8th Jul 2003, 04:37
Originally posted by mikepayne666
oh yeah well what is this?!?!?
mikepayne666, you retard, he is talking about YOU,THE PLAYER,PLAYER 1, JC DENTON, for the mods to show up on YOUR weapon. Not the NPC's weapons,( None PLayable Characters) if don't know what that is.

Icarus
8th Jul 2003, 04:59
I like the idea of the gunsmith, but forced to use mods there?. I would rather be able to put parts on my gun anywhere, but possibly buy parts at the gunsmith.

Perhaps he could sell special gun parts that you couldn't get anywhere else *or* if you waited and brought your mods to him he'd put them on in a way that they'd work better than if you had just put the thing on by yourself. Mabye they'll bring back Smuggler for this;)

TheDerf
8th Jul 2003, 07:14
Look, I never disagreed with the weight of the gun reducing recoil. Weight does help defeat recoil. So to eliminate all recoil in firearms we should duct tape a fridge or a cow to each and every single gun right? RIGHT?! No. You will have a hell of a time trying to aim, let alone hold, a firearm designed to eliminate all recoil through excess weight, which is probably why no gun has ever been designed for that.

A much better alternative for adding weight to eliminate recoil is lengthening the barrel. Now you people will think "Oh Derfz, u r soooo sillyz lol!!111 makeing the barell longr dont cut down recoil!! OMGLMOSMLMAOLMASLMO." You know what, it does. I don't exactly know how it works, but it does. I went shooting about a month ago and had the chance to try out this nickel-plated Colt .44 magnum. This gun had a barrel stretching out about a foot, or a little shorter, and the whole thing was much lighter than I expected. We all know how infamous the .44 magnum round is right? I fire it, without holding it too tight just to test how much recoil I should be expecting for the next few shots, and I'm amazed that it didn't come up and hit me in the face. It barely even kicked.

I just checked out the link that operative x posted. Are you positive that the barrel is heavier or did you just make that assumption when you saw the bolt was made of stainless steel? You see the "slits" right under the muzzle? That's where some of the gas escapes after the round is fired, reducing recoil. The little pointer by the "recoil reduction" statement doesn't point to that, but the area right under the bolt, so I'm guessing that the space between the barrel and the bolt is somewhat hollowed out to allow gas to escape there too.

operative x
8th Jul 2003, 19:42
The USP Match. The first offering by HK of an enhanced USP with distinct characteristics that make it more attractive to the target shooter. With the O-Ring barrel first seen in the Mark 23, the Match includes what is called a 'compensator,' but in fact is nothing more than a stylish barrel weight.
Web site here (http://www.hkpro.com/uspmatch.htm)

mikepayne666
8th Jul 2003, 22:13
Originally posted by Icarus
Yes I to would like to see the weapons show up on the weapons. It would be helpful when facing enemies with modded weapons so you could zoom in on them with your scope and see if there is a scope on their pistol so that you might prepare for them. I just wonder how they would show the 20 accuracy mods I put on my sniper rifle.

i meant to put this, sorry

Icarus
8th Jul 2003, 22:52
*Sees everyone draw weapons and slowly edge toward him*

*While backing up* Guys, guys please...

*Turns around, jumps out the window, starts the RunFast Aug, lands safely, and hops in his car and floors it skidding away while troopers from MJ12 flood the building you guys are in.*:eek:

operative x
8th Jul 2003, 23:33
*Operative x is suddenly interupted by MJ12 troops trying to flood his room. He quickly retrieves his fully automatic Glock 18c and blastes several in the head. Then activates his jumping aug and leaps out the window, then vanishes into the night.*
hahha nice Icarus hahha

Big Ragu
8th Jul 2003, 23:48
*Big Ragu reads a little strory written as a post and wonders, he looks and stares at the sunglasses and long black coat and remember memories past. He feels it inside him, growing with every new post, the urge he has been fighting for the past two days now, but he knows he can no longer control it. It pushes out of every poor in his body, but he can't succumb to it. He can't give in. He must fight with everything he has. Screw that, he's gotta play Deus Ex.*

operative x
8th Jul 2003, 23:50
lol;)

Icarus
9th Jul 2003, 21:39
ICARUS FOUND YOU!!
ICARUS FOUND YOU!!
ICARUS FOUND YOU!!
RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!
RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!
RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!

soeren
10th Jul 2003, 18:29
The heavier the gun, the less recoil. It has to do with inertia. I can't really explain it in words, but heres an example.[...]
Since it's already totally off-topic, I could as well explain it :D

Heavier guns having less recoil is basic momentum conservation.

The total momentums (sum of all momentums in the system) before the shot and after the shot are equal.

If the bullet's weight is, say, 50 g (I have no idea) and it leaves the gun at a speed of 350 m/sec (or something), it has an impulse of
p=m*v = 0.05 kg * 350 m/sec = 17.5 kg*m/sec.

The same impulse gets the gun (or rather the gun and the one who carries it) but in the opposite direction.
If the weight of carrier and weapon is 75 kg, the speed of carrier&gun is:
v=p/m=17.5 kg*m/sec / 75 kg = 0,23 m/sec.

Of course, you don't hover backwards at a speed after shooting since there is friction, so the kinetic energy goes somewhere else.

If the bullet was escaping the gun right at the axis that goes into your shoulder joint and you were standing fixed on the ground, your body would just "swallow" the kinetic energy. Waves would bounce around your body until the inner friction would completely convert it into heat.

But since the bullet is escaping a bit above, the force is "pulling" a bit above as well, so there is a lever that causes an angular momentum. Your arm is basically rotating agains the clock (when looking at you from the right), which causes it to move up.
Calculating the speed at which your arm moves up probably involves integration because the weight of arms are not equal along their length and I don't feel like doing integrals right now :p

Big Ragu
10th Jul 2003, 20:17
Originally posted by soeren

Calculating the speed at which your arm moves up probably involves integration because the weight of arms are not equal along their length and I don't feel like doing integrals right now :p

Well since it's off topic anyway I'll explain.
Intergrals are... uhmm... well they.... alright... you know, integrate. There now you know what integrals do.

Icarus
12th Jul 2003, 19:42
Originally posted by Icarus
ICARUS FOUND YOU!!
ICARUS FOUND YOU!!
ICARUS FOUND YOU!!
RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!
RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!
RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!

Does anyone remember this part of Deus Ex, it freaked me out!

Big Ragu
12th Jul 2003, 21:10
Why do you freak yourself out?

Trollslayer
13th Jul 2003, 15:20
Freak out!!!

Le Freak, C'est Chic

Freak out!!!

:rolleyes: Ok bad pun...

Regardless that part in DX1 was traumatizing... i have this tendency of playing my games in an isolated part of my house, meaning i'm vulnerable to unexpected things. That part in the game got me quite startled :)

Icarus
13th Jul 2003, 21:50
Why do you freak yourself out?

I don't- AAAGGHHH mysterious hand! Oh, that's mine.
*Curls up in a fetal position in a corner while sucking his thumb*;)

Fire_Power
13th Jul 2003, 22:17
I think you should be able to see any mods put on your guns including scopes, cmags, and lazer pitchers. But I would also like to see an option to disable first person weapon. In most games I play, they make the gun take up alot of the screen, rendering a blind spot in the lower right corner of the screen. Plus, (this doesn't apply to me :) ) it can help Frames Per Second for people with slower machines.

Big Ragu
13th Jul 2003, 22:54
That a good idea, I know in R6: Raven Shield you can do that.

vick1000
13th Jul 2003, 23:36
I think that would be much better actually.:cool:

I think it was Kingpin that really let you customize and buy upgrades for your gun and that was the only cool part about that game.

That and the voice acting.:D
Kingpin:
"Here I am mutha' ****er,here's what you worked so long
and hard for,just remember,you asked for this ****."