PDA

View Full Version : multiplayer for storyline?

bonobp
28th Jun 2003, 21:10
NOTE: the poll is about COOP-MP following the storyline!

what i´d really like to see in DX2 is the option to play the standard storyline with friends... this hasn´t been done before and could be quite innovative, f.e. add some puzzels that you need to solve as a team, combining skills of different players, fighting as a team...

the prob is i´m not much into single player games anymore cause they tend to bore me recently... MP is much more fun most of the time.

Trollslayer
29th Jun 2003, 00:07
What would be interesting in MP would be the usual MP form (Deathmatch, Capture the Flag), with an added mode, something in the lines of a Co-Op, that followed the storyline, but a side-story to it. A sort of team-based, cooperative, task-based MP game only, related to the storyline but not directly connected; a side-story, if you will. Itd be fun to see, for example, the PC having to complete a mission in SP in which he'd have to enter a building occupied by terrorsists (not original, i know, but its just here as an example), and the main lobby was cleared out by a special task force some minutes ago, therefore he can enter. In MP, you'd actually play that task force, "cleaning" out the lobby of any terrorist presence.

Or another example, of having the PC try and locate a suicide bomber in a square filled with people - and in MP, have a couple of officers, or the same task force, either rounding up suspects, or trying to lead civilians out of there.

Or another yet, have the PC try to get past a guarded entrance, stealthily, without raising an alarm. In MP, it could be changed to 2 players taking sniping positions, and other two (again, the task force concept) quickly entering and disabling the alarms.

Related to, but not directly folowing it, i think it might work. But i'm not exactly sure of breaking down the SP structure in order for it to have co-op like that. Mainly because the SP game is being made to suit one player, not several - if an exact copy of the SP game was made in MP for several people to co-op, i thinlk its structure would have to change, because it'd be too easy. The levels would have to be changed so that co-op was possible, and fun.

NoNicknameForMe
29th Jun 2003, 02:13
No MP for DX:IW, the only chance is a patch 3-4 months after release, so forget it, these polls just end in flames.

bonobp
29th Jun 2003, 11:00
darn, has it already been fixed that there won´t be coop-mode in the release? although i´d be as happy with a patch, if it´s better than the System Shock 2 MP-patch...

about the side-story, i think that would be even more work than simply add some more stuff (balance by putting in more and tougher enemies, tweak some puzzels to make them require tam-work). Guess they won´t do it for DX2, but sounds interesting for project in the future , maybe ;)

Trollslayer
29th Jun 2003, 15:45
Im guessing the team might do the same they've done with DX1; release the game, then work on its MP code, create some maps, then add in bug fixes and tweaks, then release it as a gigantic patch. And after all that, it's Game of the Year Edition :D

NoNicknameForMe
29th Jun 2003, 19:43
They might or they might not, but it would be foolish to buy the game expecting that.

Big Ragu
30th Jun 2003, 02:42
I started thinking about co-op when I found an early build of a co-op mod for Deus Ex. I started thinking how awesome it would be to rip through the game with a friend, but then I found out that the mod had died and my dreams had been crushed.

I still think it would be awesome if someone picked it up again.

But I don't think a co-op MP mode should ship with Deuse Ex:IW and delay it. If at all, in a patch.

Icarus
30th Jun 2003, 20:25
This MP stuff is all well and good but how would the two players decide who merged with me and Daedalus at the end?

Big Ragu
3rd Jul 2003, 18:30
Fight each other at the end?

Skylink
3rd Jul 2003, 18:45
It would be fun if they'd make something BIG, like ultima online, imagine, lots of agents, hackers, terrorists, UNATCO forses, hitmen online in different countries, fighting for.. um.. for something :) Yeah, I know it is not possible :D

Icarus
3rd Jul 2003, 21:22
Originally posted by Skylink
It would be fun if they'd make something BIG, like ultima online, imagine, lots of agents, hackers, terrorists, UNATCO forses, hitmen online in different countries, fighting for.. um.. for something :) Yeah, I know it is not possible :D

Sounds like a good idea, but some griefer would probably do something like

this (http://www.radshelters4u.com/nuke-bomb1.jpg). :eek:

JeffDenton
4th Jul 2003, 01:01
Having a MP online mode would be good. One thing though: DO NOT MAKE IT RELATED TO THE GAME ITSELF. It should be something similar to Counter-Strike with Half-Life or UT online. Fighting in different game modes with separate factions, but don't turn it into an MMORPG and have it with nothing to do with the story itself. I can't stress that enough.

Big Ragu
4th Jul 2003, 05:09
What would be wrong with with having to do with the story, like co-op?

JeffDenton
5th Jul 2003, 01:19
It wouldn't be the same. You are one of the nano-augmented agents working against terrorism... I think of it being more of solitary work. Plus, you wouldn't be able to make your own choices; you would have to reach a consensus with your partner. Sure, playing specially made multiplayer games would be fun, but the storyline would be less fluxuating and fluent.

Skylink
5th Jul 2003, 10:55
well making a giant online world where you just can't survive alone is nice I think, you'll have to stick to some gang and fight with them

Bio Denton
7th Jul 2003, 11:51
I can just picture the Agent battle for control of Area 51... Never ending slaughter, anyone?

Bio

"The I Hate Hamsters & Wooha Rules Conspiracy"

JeffDenton
12th Jul 2003, 03:51
Let's not construe DX: IW into something it's not: MMO. It's just not a game that can be turned into something massively-multiplayer.

bonobp
13th Jul 2003, 12:49
thx ;)
plz keep posting opinons about co-op multiplayer not any MMO sort of thing, maybe they will really include co-op in a later patch if people like it.

Sense
6th Aug 2003, 17:12
Originally posted by JeffDenton
Having a MP online mode would be good. One thing though: DO NOT MAKE IT RELATED TO THE GAME ITSELF. It should be something similar to Counter-Strike with Half-Life or UT online. Fighting in different game modes with separate factions, but don't turn it into an MMORPG and have it with nothing to do with the story itself. I can't stress that enough.

Should they actually realize that MP would be a great addition, I don't think a normal mp mode would compliment dxsp.

DXMP was buggy, not supported at all really, and very few servers--lack of interest, released later than the actual game. The game itself with augs was more fun any other form of MP, in my opinion but they could've done a lot more to make it very DX unique. Especially with this new engine, the possiblities really are endless.

If they can't think of a creative way to implement MP into DX:IW, it's probably best that it won't be in it at all. HL2 will have an infinite # of MP mods that would probably be better than a DX version of normal mp mode..

Personally, I think if a DX mp mode happens sometime down the line, it should be more stealth; not just run around and kill people.

Maybe the bases are surrounded by the red lasers to alert for intruders.

Each team spawns at a given point, but can build a base (or multiple bases) wherever they want--of course some positions would be more strategic than others.

Not all buildings would be the same, maybe some would be indestructable to explosions, while others can be penetrated with special weapons, others could just be small shacks that a team is forced to retreat to when the enemey takes their first base over.

Teams could also, perhaps, set up security bots anywhere (Bots and other security things wouldn't be setup automatically, teams would have to build them and should be able to build them anywhere), around the base... Sort of like turrets, just more dx style. The opposing team could take out/take over the security bot but taking it completely over should be a challenge.

The doors wouldn't just open like normal doors; they would have keypads, maybe a random code is generated at the start of each game, since most players are dumb this code could be stored in the HUD somewhere.

When an enemy gets taken down, he doesn't just die right away. It's possible to just kill a player, but you can take them to your own base while they are still alive. The player can either give up (respawn) while he's in your base, thus giving you the code to their base, or the player can stay alive in the base waiting for his teammates to rescue him...

Teams would be docked when they don't rescue teammates/or they just respawn

Objectives would probably be something along the lines of, steal enemy computer hard drive, upload killswitch which kills all the players on opposing team...Could be a lot of stuff that ties more into biomods but I don't know what they are for DX:IW.

Lots of other ideas too and I'm sure if the DX staff actually thought of making a REAL DXMP, they could think of something infinitely better.. personally I would much rather play a strategic mp game than a normal mp game... Normal games don't allow for many optons, so they get old fast.

Sense
9th Aug 2003, 17:38
Co-op would be fun too.....Some unique form of MP is needed, imo.

dirigimaster
21st Aug 2003, 22:41
System Shock 2

exo
22nd Aug 2003, 00:30
MP would be nice. But it's not why I'm going to buy Dx2.

Implementing a co-op also means delaying the game another 2 years and that's even if whoever is funding is willing to wait that long.

I'm not gonna wait another 2 years or even another year just for some MP that might or might not be implemented well.

I'll take SP over MP when it comes to games like Deus Ex ANY DAY.

operative x
22nd Aug 2003, 07:56
How would they take care of the deaths in a story mode co-op??? What if your friend dies? Would you have to do a quick load back? And also how would they handle a quick save/ quick load type of thing in a co-op game? who would save? These are the questions you must know before doing a co-op thing.

~[3]Messíah~
24th Aug 2003, 17:42
Originally posted by JeffDenton
A good opinion but also a bad opinion. Have you ever tried DXMP1? It is so much different and advanced compared to the other MP games that you have to keep playing it. If DXMP2 will be like CS or some other crappy just shoot to kill - game, there is no use to have an MP for DX.

bonobp
24th Aug 2003, 18:23
Originally posted by dirigimaster
System Shock 2

Well, Co-op for SS2 was a nice try, but from what I´ve read, it obviously shows how it´s NOT done. Sloppy execution, way too easy (difficulty is the same), and buggy...

Some friends and me wanted to do a LAN-weekend of SS2, but when we read the opinions about co-op, we skipped it...

Originally posted by operative x
How would they take care of the deaths in a story mode co-op??? What if your friend dies? Would you have to do a quick load back? And also how would they handle a quick save/ quick load type of thing in a co-op game? who would save? These are the questions you must know before doing a co-op thing.

I don´t think it's THAT hard to find some solutions...

Sense
24th Aug 2003, 19:06
What happened to my other post? :/

Digweed
25th Aug 2003, 08:50
I'm pretty sure I'm not the only person here who has friends, and I think a lot of people would agree with me that spending time with them would be much better than playing a video game by your self: no matter how "great" it was. I don't feel like sitting around by myself in to the wee hours of the morning.

I won't be buying DX:IW because it doesn’t have any multiplayer. Is no one else as disappointed as I am?

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
25th Aug 2003, 10:06
Is no one else as disappointed as I am?

I'm not disappointed enough not to buy the game, just because MP isn't implemented.

I'm a little disappointed, I agree co-op could be great, but even without, I'm still buying the game, if only because DX1 was so great in SP, and I'm confident DX:IW SP will be even better

Corporal Hicks
25th Aug 2003, 10:26
Originally posted by bonobp
Some friends and me wanted to do a LAN-weekend of SS2, but when we read the opinions about co-op, we skipped it...

I'm really sorry to hear that!!!.

System Shock 2 in coop has been one of the most intense and rewarding exsperiences I have had as a human being. :)

I have played SS2 in coop 4 times... And I still cant believe how fantastic it is standing in sactuary on the Recreation Deck and upgrading with your teammates...

Do your self and your pals a great favor... Wake up together aboard the Von Braun and "Check thoughs corners!!!" :)

BTW: Love Deus Ex to, could have been nice playing that in coop as well...

-
**** with the bull - You get the horns

PDenton
25th Aug 2003, 18:36
Originally posted by Digweed
I won't be buying DX:IW because it doesn’t have any multiplayer. Is no one else as disappointed as I am?

I'll still be buying the game, even without the multiplayer. Normally I like to play multiplayer, but the DX multiplayer was useless and I found I got on much better with games like Unreal Tournament.

exo
25th Aug 2003, 18:55
If you're not buying it because it has no MP you shouldn't even be playing these kinds of games anyway.

If this game keeps me up playing til the early morning and until 11am when I'm about to pass out, it'll be well worth it.

You nay sayers have no idea how hard it would be to implement a co-op to a sophisticated single player game.

operative x
25th Aug 2003, 19:34
Originally posted by bonobp

I don´t think it's THAT hard to find some solutions...
Then solve them:) And don't just say things like"Uhhhh... the player 's friend will just respawn" make sure what you are saying will not only work but BALANCE gameplay.

Sense
25th Aug 2003, 23:26
Originally posted by exo
If you're not buying it because it has no MP you shouldn't even be playing these kinds of games anyway.

If this game keeps me up playing til the early morning and until 11am when I'm about to pass out, it'll be well worth it.

You nay sayers have no idea how hard it would be to implement a co-op to a sophisticated single player game.

Just because something is hard doesn't mean it shouldn't be done. The creators of dx2 are lucky that there really isn't **** for competition out there...

I don't think anyone looks @ DX for mp alone but it ADDS to the game. They could've made an incredibly unique MP experience...dx is a very unique game, I think more mp players would play a unique mp game rather than just shoot people and they die type game...even those games are starting to evolve, I'm sure there will be some great mods for HL2 and dx:iw will just get left in the dust....They're really going to have to hype dx3 hard....

Considering most are upgrading, mp isn't that much to ask for to make the game last longer. It really could've had a great mp mode -- dxmp wasn't even finished so don't think just because that sucked that dx:iw mp would...If they half ass it like they did the first, then it would obviously suck.

exo
26th Aug 2003, 01:28
Heh, you really just don't get it do you?

Implementing co-op is VERY hard.

Recent example? Halo-PC will not share the same feature as its x-box brother with the word co-op.

Why? it's just that frikkin hard.

Is it worth it? you betchya IF done right. Do you want to wait that long? Well Halo PC has been worked on since Halo X-box was out the door. They had 2 or more years to implement a co-op and they said it would be too difficult to code. Now Halo is by all means a good game but in comparison to Deus Ex IW, it's got nowhere near the content. If they can't do it for Halo PC, how long do you think it would take for DE:IW.

A LONG BLOODY TIME. By the time they finished it, starwars 7 - 9 will be in production.

To have it done in a good amount of time they'd have to hire a freaking army(not that they haven't already) of coders and the testing would have to be rock solid so they don't screw up.

Too high a cost on a game that was meant for one, it would be nice yes. I would personally love it. It very well could rocket the game into the hall of fame. IF they implement the co-op good.

that's a damn big IF.

Digweed
26th Aug 2003, 02:33
Originally posted by exo

Don't get me wrong here, I played and loved the first one. I had people wanting to watch me play it. Eventully though we came to our senses and realized we could play just about any game together and it would be more fun.

I was really hoping they'd have a cooperative mode, and as a consumer I don't really care how hard it is to make. All I care about is the final product.

Mr.Kill
26th Aug 2003, 02:46
i dont mind if they add multiplayer

i just want them 2 concentrate on the singleplayer, thats what made the last game really great.

by the way, im new here !

exo
26th Aug 2003, 02:47
Heh, as a consumer you don't care how long it takes?

This just in, Deus Ex will now be coming out 2006.

Care now?

Mr.Kill
26th Aug 2003, 02:51
hell yeah !

2006 ! I couldnt wait that long !!!!

must...play...deus ex 2 !!! cant wait.

my dad's gonna buy me a new PC just so i can play it, as well as half life 2 and doom 3, these 3 games I so badly want. these are the games i want to play before i die ! (LOL, im weird)

Digweed
27th Aug 2003, 06:20
Originally posted by exo
Heh, as a consumer you don't care how long it takes?

This just in, Deus Ex will now be coming out 2006.

Care now?

Not really, seeing how I'm not going to buy the game without multiplayer. DX:IW may be a great game but it's certainly not the only one worth playing, and to me not worth buying since I'd have to sit around inside by myself all the time. If I had to wait till 06, well, I'm sure there would be a few games inbetween to hold me down. I'm not trying to argue here, I was just wondering if anyone else was really counting on some sort of cooperative mode like I was.

Sense
27th Aug 2003, 23:57
Originally posted by Digweed
Not really, seeing how I'm not going to buy the game without multiplayer. DX:IW may be a great game but it's certainly not the only one worth playing, and to me not worth buying since I'd have to sit around inside by myself all the time. If I had to wait till 06, well, I'm sure there would be a few games inbetween to hold me down. I'm not trying to argue here, I was just wondering if anyone else was really counting on some sort of cooperative mode like I was.

I agree with Dig... nowdays, games simply need MP. I've said it before, dx:iw mp could be extremely unique and fun.. It should not take an extra 3 years to complete. They would, of course, have to hire more people but I'm sure there would be more sales in the long run and it would probably make people keep their excitement until dx3.

A lot of people that loved DX HAVE to upgrade for dx:iw. Upgrading for the SP alone just isn't worth it... hl2 will at least have mod support, so the opportunities are pretty limitless.

Mr.Kill
28th Aug 2003, 01:40
all games developers (mainly for pc) concentrate on multiplayer. soemtimes they just forget the singleplayer.

like in medal of honor: allied assault. it has brilliant multiplayer but the singplayer isnt crap, its OK, its pretty average. in fact, the whooe game is just an average shooter. decent fun tho !

TehFreak
30th Aug 2003, 12:35
since some people are interested in co-op mode:
http://coop.deusexgaming.com