PDA

View Full Version : Mac TR Level editor problems

JohnRaider
28th Jun 2003, 05:21
During the process of making a level in the TR level editor my the level editor will freeze and I have to restart the my mac. Why does it freeze randomly?

Jack_Raider

dhama
28th Jun 2003, 11:46
The TR level editor was rather thrown together for public use, but nevertheless is quite stable considering. Sometimes it can be frustrating but all I can suggest is that you save your project regular in increments so if one project starts to give errors, or the level editor crashes or gives an error, an earlier project can always be used as backup.

disco-fever
28th Jun 2003, 12:44
:) for shame dhama, don't place false ideas in this guys head, lol
you know that the level editor wasn't made for public use, it was made to create Tomb Raider 4, for shame :)

dhama
28th Jun 2003, 15:42
The level editor we use was in fact an edited version for our use disco-fever, and not as Core Design used it; their version was so much more complicated than the one we use. ;)

JohnRaider
28th Jun 2003, 18:10
Is there any way to get the level editor to stop freezing? It gets kind of annoying saving every 5 seconds I do something.

uvavoo
30th Jun 2003, 11:10
This is strange. I run TRLE on my mac, and I find it to be very stable, it runs all day!
It seems more likely that the system is interfering with it in some way.
One thing I do know which causes problems is the 'Sleep' mode.
Prevent your hard drive from going to sleep (control panels-energy saver).
It could be a rogue extension or control panel which is causing the problem. Use extensions manager to create a set with only the bare minimum extensions (you will need the openGL and video drivers to load).
It may be worth running a disk utility on your mac. Reinstalling the OS and reinstalling TRLE if all else fails.

Edit:
I have successfully run TRLE on 3 different macs, all with different video cards. It will even run quite happily in the classic environment of OSX.

futureboy
8th Jul 2003, 13:24
things always crash on the Mac because of Memory problems.
When it starts to run out, the program you are using will freeze,
or crash out (it does the same with Cubase or Photoshop etc.)
You need more memory, and make a system (with many extensions
switched off) that works only for TRLE.

cheers
MIRAI

uvavoo
8th Jul 2003, 16:39
Mmm, could be memory, but the le doesn't really require that much.

How Much memory have you got Jack_Raider?

This is quite an old thread, let us know how you got on Jack_R.

futureboy
8th Jul 2003, 21:17
I have to run TRLE in Virtual memory
or it won't run/crashes. :-)

I use a I-book but with basic memory.

I REALLY NEED TO UPDATE THAT.

But I am new in the U.K.
so I am wondering where to buy cheap
RAM.

(not sheep)
:D

MIRAI

JohnRaider
9th Jul 2003, 00:55
I've got 256MB of ram.

uvavoo
9th Jul 2003, 08:46
256 is more than adequate. The recommended requirement for the LE is 32 mb. I have allocated double that amount to the LE.
All I can add is have you got the latest Open GL and video drivers? What video card do you use? (voodoo 5 cards don't work properly).
The level editor will not multitask very well in OS9. It is better to quit it before opening other programs or using the Finder.

Mirai, I suggest you pop to your local newsagents and buy (or browse in store) a mac magazine such as Mac Format and check the many adverts for memory prices, its actually quite cheap at the moment.