PDA

View Full Version : Should all complaints and compliment topics be put in one thread?

RedLegg
28th Jun 2003, 02:57
Here an the idea. We the admin and/or moderators can move all complaints or compliments into one topic each. If there are enough votes. This would give a one stop shopping approach to your discussions either way.

How about it!

P.S. I'll leave this up until poll active through Sunday night. We abide by the people's choice on Monday.

Xcom
28th Jun 2003, 03:20
Originally posted by RedLegg
Here an the idea. We the admin and/or moderators can move all complaints or compliments into one topic each.

Compliments will be easy. Heh.

But do you mean like *ALL* complaints, counting from the PS2 release in the US? Well, good luck fellas. :D

flamingblue8z
28th Jun 2003, 03:30
Thanks RedLegg! *bows to rightious leader* What would we do without you?!

John Carter
28th Jun 2003, 03:32
Hello, carpal tunnel syndrome. ;)

Claus.DuBois
28th Jun 2003, 03:50
That would be cool if it doesn't take much effort to do it. But if it does take a lot of effort, it may not really be worth it. It's not that hard to go immediately to the substance threads and skip the complaints threads. Plus, if people won't even follow the spoiler rules which many people complain about, I'm sure people may just continue to start new complaint threads anyway which would make your consolidation effort seem less fulfilling to you.

Nevermind on my other suggestions.

Skoal

TriggerHappy
28th Jun 2003, 05:04
Umm..
Wasn't there enough votes?

total_inferno
28th Jun 2003, 05:31
there are about 100 regular users of the Eidos Forums. 6 votes in way can show the users opinons.

-hope that clears things up.

*waw I sound like a mod :eek: :cool: :D *

sspears
28th Jun 2003, 05:42
I vote no although I understand the reasons you want to do it. I dislike page after page of complaints and so on. It seems too hard to enforce though and a lot of work for mods. I like to use examples so here's one.

New Thread: I have a question?????

inside: Why does Lara fall through the ground? etc. etc.

My Point: Not really a complaint but maybe a veiled complaint if you see what I mean.

Maybe lock certain threads that become redundant. Example:

Poster: This games sux

inside: rant rant rant

1 hr later

Same Poster: Eidos sux too

inside: ramble ramble ramble

Suggestion: Have a mod reply and warn this poster and lock the thread.

I'm sure you can come up with more/better solutions. Just throwing out ideas. Whatever you decide, I won't complain. ;)

flamingblue8z
28th Jun 2003, 05:47
Hmmm, point seen. But, since i'm partially responsible for RedLegg starting the poll in the first place, i won't change my position. It is a lot of work for the moderators, they need paid. :p They are volunteer only, right? Anyway, i think it would be nice to just do this big overhaul of the forum, every complain/compliment going into a separate category. That way i can try to avoid it so i don't get out of hand, because my temper has really gotten the best of me with a lot of these posts that show up in the forum about how much people hate this or that aspect of the game. So maybe now i can surf around and help people that need help with REAL problems; like how to defeat Boaz, because i know how to do that now :D

TRaiderGurl
28th Jun 2003, 06:32
Well, that would be great, but that would also be a huge thread. Plus it'll probably be the same people posting over and over. I tried to start "non-complaining off the subject" threads but it seems that some people just like to complain rather then have fun.

flamingblue8z
28th Jun 2003, 06:33
I hate it, it's annoying, isn't it? I'm annoyed more by the people that complain than by any bugs the game has.

RedLegg
28th Jun 2003, 06:50
Originally posted by TRaiderGurl
Well, that would be great, but that would also be a huge thread. Plus it'll probably be the same people posting over and over. I tried to start "non-complaining off the subject" threads but it seems that some people just like to complain rather then have fun.

And yet to some, complaining is a part of the fun! :D

flamingblue8z
28th Jun 2003, 06:53
My guess for the appropriate response would be... to each his own. Heh. I think i'm going to go start a new game. I'm half-way through, but i want to see if i can get this game done before Midnight tomorrow. See how long it REALLY takes to get this game done. 21 hours left, i gotta get cracking. Hehehe...

Tipsko
28th Jun 2003, 11:50
Great idea!! But since almost every thread is about the complaining, it will be quiet on the forum itself ;)

Couldn't you make more 'subdirectories' (or subforums, like this one is on the tomb raider forums) on this forum for questions about aod (so nobody would post spoilers on the 'normal' discussion bord), complaints/compliments and 'normal' discussion? just an idea :rolleyes: :)

tipsko (voted yes)

jso2897
28th Jun 2003, 14:04
I have a better idea. Lets just create one single complaint post from exerpts of a few. They all say the same thing anyway. A lot of the numb-thumb boys who consider themselves "serious gamers" have been waiting 3 years just to whip out their best teenage dissing rhetoric and dump it on this game. Tombraider bashing has long been a fashionable target in the "serious" gaming world - it doesn't use the latest technological bells&whistles, doesn't have enough framerate, doesn't have enough bitmapping, doesn't have enough blabbity-blah-blah-blah. No halfway mature gamer, who appreciates games as art and not just tittilating kiddie-toys, cares about any of this nonsense.
Toimbraider doesn't use the latest technologies - and neither does Rolls-Royce. The people who make Tomraider are artists - not toymakers. And most artists do NOT wish to distract themselves with technology when they are trying to create something that can actually move the human soul.
Now I can uncderstand a 14 year old not "getting" this concept - I wouldn't have. But it not just 14year olds who play games anymore. More mature gamers are growing in numbers every day - and since we WORK, and have money to spend, we constitute an ever growing market - and one that won't be satisfied by faster framerates and bigger explosions. If that's what you want, buy Unreal Tournament, or Serious Sam. Tomraider does not please you for the same reason that Donkey Kong does not please me. Tombraider is not aimed at you, just as Donkey Kong is not aimed at me. This is all a lot like me posting a negative review of Britney Spears. I would be stupid to think I would like a product aimed at that demographic, and even stupider for complaining that I didn't.
Another thing that I have noticed - I won't name any names, but I've seen more than one vitriolic post coming from countries where the game isn't even out yet - doesn't that tell you something?
But, anyway, point is that the bash posts have essentially become a form of spam. They all say the same thing, and are mostly irrelevant to the actual game itself. They are a considerable waste of space.So just stick up one big one, and delete the rest. At least until the REAL game comes out next week. As for the PS2, I wouldn't expect anything but a toy experience from a toy. Hopefully they will stop making TR for the toys, and concentrate their efforts on building a real computer game in the future.

BkBaby999
28th Jun 2003, 14:43
First off, isn't this a public internet forum, where for the most part people are allowed to say what they want and how they feel. Now you want to have "separatist" actions and partition things that you don't want to read. Well I don't want to read spoilers or misspellings....can we have a separate posting area for people that can't spell too!! How much segregation can we do. Then maybe one day...ooops the "complaint" post is missing but I bet all the compliments will still be around. You really make me sick to even consider this stupid idea...oh and to give until Monday....is that this Monday or next Monady or Monday 8 months from now :rolleyes: Yeah right. Too bad if people don't want to read differing opinions and want to sit in their own little world playing a game over and over again because they have no life. That's not my problem. My problem is the game is glitchy and frustrating to adapt to...and I'm not the only person who notices it. But lil eidos/core employees wannabees want to traipse around and say "but it's sooo good and everyone should buy it" I have no reason to make up the stuff I see going wrong with the game and when I speak I always say that's my OPINION that I'm stating. Most people are going to buy the game anyway but now they have a little more information to make a better educated choice on where to spend their hard earned money.

You've got some nerve :mad: to even consider such a dumb move and if I see it I WILL go all over the internet on a full fledged rant against eidos like you won't even believe...because I will be too through with you!

As to flaming...you'll probably like this idea anyway...but basically you can go bite a nutter! It's not all about you on this planet and I'm certainly not going to bite my tongue and go hide somewhere just because YOU can't accept a difference in opinion on your precious game. You ain't the boss of me, you don't pay my rent, and you certainly don't get to tell me what to say-you don't know me. You are becoming annoying complaining so much about people complaining. And I don't appreciate your demeaning attitude towards me at all. I'm a grown adult with a mind of her own and more than capable of expressing my own views and don't need any assistance.

I spoke my mind, again! DEAL WITH THAT BEOTCH!:mad:

jso2897
28th Jun 2003, 15:24
Nobody objects to your speaking your mind, per se. But your bashing is not substantially any different than anybody elses, and it's getting boring, redundant, and consumptive of space. This is a forum for TR fans. If you are not one, you are not unwelcome here, but there IS a certain limitation on the relevance of what you have to say. People who dislike TR have just as much right to their opinions as anyone else - but the right to ones opinion does not include the right to subject others to continual and unremiiting recitation of those opinions, ad infinitum, ad nauseum. The people who are repeatedly and loudly bashing this game (setting aside for a moment those who obviously haven'ty even PLAYED it) are folks who appear not to understand what it is that attracts TR's key constituency, or what really make TR what it is. CORE's attempts to keep the youth market on board, by dumbing down the game and trying to squeeze it into the Playtoy2 are the only real problems I see here - they shouldn't pander to an immature audience when their loyal audience are mostly more mature. You don't see Broderbund trying to market Myst to children, or putting it on the Gamecube in a vain hope of capturing the "youth market", and I think it's time the makers of TR started to emulate their example. But then, I'm a much better artist than I am a businessman, and would undoubtedly go broke in the game business - so I won't beef Core for their marketing plans. I'm only pointing out that by trying to market AOD to the youth market so agressively, they may have attracted a lot of buyers who are almost preprogrammed for dissapointment.
At any rate, nobody minds people speaking their minds. But must they speak them again and again, over and over, in a thousand identical posts? I mean, heck - I heard you the first time!:rolleyes:

BTW
Quote:
"First off, isn't this a public internet forum, where for the most part people are allowed to say what they want and how they feel."

No. It is not. This forum is a private space, owned by IEDOS. People are allowed here as guests, as long, and only so long, as they are willing to obey the rules and conduct themselves in a socially acceptable manner. And in my book, that behavior would include not BORING your fellow forum users to the point of agony with the same stuff, posted over and over and over again.

jayel
28th Jun 2003, 16:06
Originally posted by RedLegg
And yet to some, complaining is a part of the fun! :D

Without a doubt, this is true. Offering positive and negative threads provides an outlet for the expression of both trends, while allowing the readers to choose their preference.

Thanks for the democratic option RedLegg.

maniac44
28th Jun 2003, 16:25
Originally posted by flamingblue8z
It is a lot of work for the moderators, they need paid. :p They are volunteer only, right?

They get paid with a FREE copy of AoD.
Now, is that a "Good Thing" or a "Bad Thing"?

SuzieCroft
28th Jun 2003, 17:18
Originally posted by maniac44
They get paid with a FREE copy of AoD.
Now, is that a "Good Thing" or a "Bad Thing"?

All depends if they're hardcore 14 year old 133+ G@m3rZ or not.

flamingblue8z
28th Jun 2003, 18:16
*applauds jso2897*

Better than i could have ever said myself on both posts. And well-agreed on a lot of that. It's getting pretty boring, and the only reason i'm hanging out at the forums now is to chase off a bunch of people that are putting the game down. You're right, the PS2 is a PlayToy... 2. I never played anything on it, just DVD's, and Kingdom Hearts (that's a total kids game..), so really, you are correct there. Tomb Raider has proved that i've had my PS2 on more this week than in the last year and 1/2 i've had my PS2. And it's not even able to handle the graphics. For me, the PS2 is a preview, i guess, to the PC version. We'll see it in a few days, then we'll see where the complainers go when it gets high ratings on GameSpot. Unless they go biased and down it just because it's linked to the out-of-date PS2. Just clean up the forum, for Christ's sake, someone, after a while it's mind-numbing to see complaint after complaint. Ruining the experience and even the buying potential for anyone that stumbles into the forum and finds 10 complaints just on the first screenfull.

TriggerHappy
28th Jun 2003, 21:00
*applauds jso2897*

You're right, the PS2 is a PlayToy... 2. I never played anything on it, just DVD's, and Kingdom Hearts (that's a total kids game..),

This seems like a perfect opportunity to get off subject, and lead into a lame fanboy war.

PS2 can't handle AOD. Xbox would've been the better system to program it for.
XBOX RULES!!!
:D

BkBaby999
28th Jun 2003, 21:06
At any rate, nobody minds people speaking their minds. But must they speak them again and again, over and over, in a thousand identical posts? I mean, heck - I heard you the first time!

But you won't have ish to say if all you read was "the game is so great, it's so good, it rocks, it rules" repetitively! Whatever :rolleyes: What you want to do is single out this and that......and what I recommend you do is read whatever you want and skip over the rest or don't respond or just take a chill pill and not get so crazy over it. You're okay with saying what you want to say.....then grant other people the same privilege! Some people actually found reading both sides very helpful and it certainly won't keep anyone who really wants the game from buying and playing it.

PS if there are 10 complaints in the first page that's a clue! I never said I was not a TR fan either and that's the most irksome thing....people need to stop putting words in other peoples mouths.

And even though it's a private forum it was open to the public. A forum is a place to share ideas. If Eidos would prefer to separate ideas they don't agree with then that should be stated in the RULES too, just add: this is Nazi Eidos and all people coming within shall love Eidos or else.

And I get tired of all of it. You hate people who post spoilers, people who are disappointed in the game, people who don't agree with you....I'm bored by all of you expending so much energy in making sure that it's all your way. There was no need to harass people for a difference in opinion and that is what is going on here........

old_tr_fan
28th Jun 2003, 21:15
What is way worse than complaints are the complaints against complaints. And it seems to come mostly from one individual. Any person who gives a different (negative) opinion about AOD is met with strong complaints from that individual and sometimes with even threats of physical violence. I am TR fan who owned and played all TR games. I welcome negative opinions because without this feedback, there is no way to improve the game. Furthermore, when EIDOS allows and protects different opinions, it protects itself; otherwise, these individuals will vent in different forums in which EIDOS will not have the chance to reply back and contain any false rumors or any distorted facts if any. Concerning that one individual, I am too tired and sick of his arrogant attitude of attacking other posters and threatening to beat them up if he was there beside them. I also read some sexual content of his posts which are only suitable for adults.

Thanks.

cool#9
28th Jun 2003, 21:20
originally posted by flamingblu8z
the only reason i'm hanging out at the forums now is to chase off a bunch of people that are putting the game down.

As long as those people dont "slam" post i.e. "This product is horrible. No one should buy it." I do believe they are entitled to their opinions just as much as anyone else here.

Sheep well.

TriggerHappy
28th Jun 2003, 21:32
<sigh>

Am I the only XBox fanboy here?

O.k.... PS2 sux!

Maybe now, things won't seem so repetative.

flamingblue8z
28th Jun 2003, 22:40
Excuse me! That's uncalled for. "certain individual that it's all coming from". BFS, i'm the only one that has the pride to stand up and fight, that's all i've done all my life is fight for things, and in this case, i have to stand up for the best thing for this forum and the game. Plus, you might need to take a look at things, i'm not alone, people agree with what i say, so back off.

As i said in one of my past posts (as a joke then, now it's looking like my catchphrase again)...

"I f'n hate people, they're so f'n crazy."

The enjoyment of this forum is deteriorating quickly and unless someone does something to fix it, it's going to become a mess, not from me, but i know other people are just holding back. That's why i move for a vote on whether or not to wipe clean the posts on the forum before the reorganization of complaint posts, because we need to weed out the garbage. Now i'm going to go do something constructive, since my lawn needs mowed.

TriggerHappy
28th Jun 2003, 22:49

"I f'n hate people, they're so f'n crazy."

Now i'm going to go do something constructive, since my lawn needs mowed.

I'm sorry! I was just kidding. PS2 doesn't sux!

flamingblue8z
28th Jun 2003, 23:00
LOL, don't worry, you can say that, in some ways, i agree, in some ways, i don't. It plays DVDs, look at that! Oh, wait, X-Box does too... well, i used to say X-Box sucks, but i am wondering if it really does. Never played on one. *shrugs*

cool#9
28th Jun 2003, 23:06
Now i'm going to go do something constructive, since my lawn needs mowed.

Yeah you go and do that boy.
Dont get too high will ya?

flamingblue8z
28th Jun 2003, 23:09
Oh, please. Drugs are a terrible thing to try and throw into my face as if i do them. My lack of common sense (mom said i have a lack of it, anyway...) doesn't mean that i'm dumb enough to do drugs. I don't appreciate personal attacks like that. :mad:

TriggerHappy
29th Jun 2003, 01:09
LOL, don't worry, you can say that, in some ways, i agree, in some ways, i don't. It plays DVDs, look at that! Oh, wait, X-Box does too... well, i used to say X-Box sucks, but i am wondering if it really does. Never played on one. *shrugs*

We play DVDs on our PS2, but not our XBox. I'm too lazy and cheap to pay for any uneccessary extra attachments.

Xbox does have some excellent games and built in features. I especially like using my own choice of music in games, like 'Chase'.
The graphics engine also allows us to play Morrowind III fairly well. And Bethesda is coming out with another winner, 'Pirates Of The Carribean'! Whoo hoo!!!

Of course, it goes without saying, we play Timesplitters 2 and Hitman 2 on the XBox.

By the way (as some of you may've guessed from my previous posts), I don't mind if anyone accuses me of being dumb enough to have partaken of wild wood weed.
:D

Blue Raider
29th Jun 2003, 04:55
Well, consolidating all complaints/compliments into one nest will be more beneficial to Core/Eidos than for us. Instead of going through the labyrinth of threads searching for hard criticism Core/Eidos will have instead a perfect niche from which they will be able to see the whole panorama of our praise and disappointments. Who knows, maybe the topic might transform itself into a forum.

total_inferno
29th Jun 2003, 16:31
mods,

some where in the terms and conditions it says that it is not allowed in any way to spam, or cause dislike to an edios product.

edit: No "Slam" postings. We have zero tolerance for "slam" postings to our boards. By slam postings, we mean posts that make statements such as, "This product is horrible. No one should buy it." Those postings will be removed from our site, as will any posting that refers to your fellow board users, our moderators, our developers, Eidos Interactive or even our competitors in a derogatory manner.

TRaiderGurl
29th Jun 2003, 16:58
Originally posted by BkBaby999
But you won't have ish to say if all you read was "the game is so great, it's so good, it rocks, it rules" repetitively! Whatever :rolleyes:
Actually I don't mind when people talk about how great the game is. If you like to fight and complain about a game that's your prerogative. Sometimes people are in a really good mood and want to come to the forum and post about fun stuff (i.e. like what does Lara really keep in her backpack or would do you think Lara should date) and be happy. But instead, the board is filled with nothing but complaints. I go through 4 pages of complaining before I get to a fun and intersting thread. This is why the complaints should be in one thread.

P.S. This seems to me to be a complaint thread on it's own too.:p

ukdante
29th Jun 2003, 19:12
Let's all just pretend everything's hunky dory and hand over our hard earned money for the game regardless of quality...just to keep certain people's blinkers from slipping off.

jayel
29th Jun 2003, 19:30
Originally posted by TriggerHappy
<sigh>

Am I the only XBox fanboy here?

Nope, I am a fan (though not a boy, I fall more into the fan woman group - doesn't that sound absurd?). I select the games to play with my Xbox live group and I have really enjoyed the co-op gameplay. I still only use it for games that aren't available on PC. The PC remains my preferred format.

I don't agree with your remark about PS2 though (yes, I see you apologized), I find it pointless to argue about systems since each person has a strong and passionate opinion of his/her own. As with much of life it is a personal choice.

TriggerHappy
29th Jun 2003, 19:45
Originally posted by jayel
I select the games to play with my Xbox live group and I have really enjoyed the co-op gameplay. I still only use it for games that aren't available on PC. The PC remains my preferred format.

Although playing with others through the internet, sounded interesting to me at first; I'm sure that I would quickly get fed up with it. I hear of people who cheat using patches and stuff. Plus, it's hard to compete against already long established alliances.

When my family and friends play together in a home format, we're less constrained by the time schedules of other people.

I'm also too lazy and cheap to buy uneccessary attachments (including video cards) for anything that that I own. I don't knock those who like to upgrade their computers. I figure that it's a hobby, like detailing and upgrading a car or truck.

What Xbox games do you play?

ulTRAX
29th Jun 2003, 22:25
Originally posted by jso2897
People who dislike TR have just as much right to their opinions as anyone else - but the right to ones opinion does not include the right to subject others to continual and unremiiting recitation of those opinions, ad infinitum, ad nauseum.

It seems you reserve your indignation of repetition only to those who have valid complaints about AOD. As a old TR fan going as far back as 11-96 when TR1 was first released, I have the right to my opinions too. Maybe I don't want to see more "continual and unremiiting recitation" of those in YOUR camp who feel that we all must mindlessly endure the poor control system and bugs of a game we paid full price for... will never be fixed... and we can't return.

Radfad
30th Jun 2003, 17:37
What is way worse than complaints are the complaints against complaints

LOL

ukdante
30th Jun 2003, 17:54
Daikatana and Aliens vs Predator 2 forums were exactly the same. The games weren't very well received with the fans (AvP2 took longer for the tide to turn, but oh boy when it did it got UGLY) and public opinion was 'mixed' to say the least.

Then all the 'flaming the flamers' BS started up, followed by flaming of the flamer-flamers.

:)

jso2897
1st Jul 2003, 00:53
It's not about rights, I don't think. You have the right to post anything you want here, if EIDOS lets you. It's their place, and by definition, you have the "right" to do anything here they are willing to tolerate. I guess I just don't know WHY somebody would want to post the same thing over and over. I saw one guy open three almost identical threads, all saying the same thing. But, whatever. If that floats your boat, go ahead on and knock yourself out. It's cool with me. And the nature and tenor of the criticism is only making the game appear more attractive to me anyway. Maybe EIDOS is clever to allow all the flaming people want to do. It's probably encouraging more people than it's discouraging. At any rate, I'm going to shut up for a couple days until the game is out, I've played some, and have something of real substance to say.

RedLegg
1st Jul 2003, 05:05
Hi Guys/Gals

Well, considering the amount of work involved. I honestly don't think that 37 votes make a quorum of the members that partisapate in this forum. (sorry for spelling mistakes, I'm very tired tonight).

So, let's leave it as is for now. For those that voted yes, well what can I say, democracy can suck some times.

Regards and thanks,