PDA

View Full Version : Who's buying a 3DS to play this?

DreamEaterX
9th Jun 2012, 10:41
I was just wondering: who's really gonna buy a 3DS just to play this one game. Cuz like I really wanna play KH3D but I feel like spending 170$ for a console I'm never gonna use after I finish the game is ridiculous...

9th Jun 2012, 10:52
i think theres is a simple soulition, you buy a 3DS for more then one game. And they do that for most consoles not just 3DS.

DreamEaterX
9th Jun 2012, 11:03
I get what you're saying but I would feel vain if I did that... I guess it depends on how much money people can afford to spend on video games...

member_10822883
9th Jun 2012, 11:07
Do you have a regular DS? I mean, the 3DS is just an upgraded piece of hardware with a bigger catalogue if you discount the loss of GBA compatibility. If it's not in your price range, wait for another drop, but I'd highly recommend upgrading at some point. 3DS is a pretty impressive console, ignoring the gimmicky 3D mode that you can turn off.

member_10137912
9th Jun 2012, 12:40
I bought the system It's not all that Good, I got it for the same reason you want it for. You Can probaly rent one and then give it back to the owner when you finish the game.

Automaton
9th Jun 2012, 12:47
My specific reason for getting my 3DS last year was specifically for the upcoming release of KH3D. I had the original DS for a great number years before finally upgrading to something else (admittedly, I got the DSi from that right around the time that the 3DS was announced, go figure).

If there's no other boxed games out there that interest you, keep in mind that there is the eShop, which does have downloadable games and "applications": original 3D titles, DSiWare, and some (not a lot for now) Virtual Console.

member_10137912
9th Jun 2012, 12:51
The eShop is also having a demo coming for KH3D so you can try it out soon.

member_10706344
9th Jun 2012, 13:15
I will buy a 3DS this month mostly because of KH3D, but im pretty sure there will be more games for me there, the 3DS has just started.

Persiangato
9th Jun 2012, 14:52
I caved and bought one just for Kid Icarus. That's still my only 3DS game, so I'm looking forward to DDD just to get my second.

iambasho777
9th Jun 2012, 17:19
You can always get Theatrhythm: Final Fantasy early next month too, it looks pretty awesome and has something like like 80 amazing FF songs, and was very well received in Japan. I bought the 3DS mostly to be able to play DDD, but some other games piqued my interest, like LoZ: Ocarina of Time 3D and Pokemon Rumble Blast (looks lame, but was surprisingly fun). The 3DS may not have all too much to offer right now, but over the next few months it will get a ton better.

Persiangato
9th Jun 2012, 19:14
I was lucky enough to already play a demo of it for a bit. It was interesting, but I'm not a fan of rhythm games (even if I love the music) so I can't see myself pumping hours into it. What's really turning me off to that game is the DLC content. Square Enix is great with handing out some, like on Twitter, but it's still a game on a Nintendo consoles with DLC. OoT was brillantly fun, but I've already played and completed the game fully seven times (obtaining all upgrades and items) on the N64, played The Master Quest on GC like mad and even personally wrote a guide to the game. Couldn't see myself pumping anymore hours into it.

Pokemon Conquest should be able to hold me off until DDD. Square's Heroes of Ruins looks interesting, but I'd have to pick that up after I complete DDD.

The past year since its release it really hasn't had much aside from remakes. Tales, Overclocked, OoT and Starfox are all great, but I've played them enough. Still considering Overclocked though. I agree that the line up for 3DS games is starting to look great though.

<ul>
Luigi's Mansion 2
Paper Mario
Fire Emblem (Oh, man... paid DLC for this)
Super Smash Brothers
Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance
Castlevania
Beyond The Labyrinth
Dragon Quest
Animal Crossing
999's Sequel
[/list]

Those will all basically be must have games. Now if only there would be some more localization foreign titles.

DreamEaterX
9th Jun 2012, 19:40
Actually... I never got to finish ocarina of time 64 ... & I really wanna play Dream Drop Distance, I might buy it after all. I just hope it will have the same kind of longevity the PS2 had.

Persiangato
9th Jun 2012, 19:47
Oh? Then you should definitely pick up that game as well. It's had updates like changing the Ironboots to a C-Equip so you don't have to go to your inventory menu, equip it, get past the prompt to save and repeat; and it has a boss challenge mode. You have to unlock The Master Quest by beating it at least once first though.

14th Jun 2012, 06:31
I was just wondering: who's really gonna buy a 3DS just to play this one game. Cuz like I really wanna play KH3D but I feel like spending 170$ for a console I'm never gonna use after I finish the game is ridiculous...

You have a point with the money issue or atleast spending it on games. So if you want the 3DS to buy the one game only nothing more. Dont get it 358/2 days wasint a very long game in fact i beat it in a 2 days. So you probaly will just beat Dream Drop Distance, in less then a week, and never play it again. so it be a waste of money.

Ryutim
14th Jun 2012, 16:43
No offense, but I think you're nuts to say such a thing, I mean, yes, 358/2 days wasn't very long or hard, but it had a pretty big chunk of the storyline in it, and I'm not one to settle for watching the walkthroughs in order to complete the storyline. Anyway, while there were some other games that made the 3DS more desireable when I bought it (all of which haven't come out yet, except kid icarus, which just isn't very good, and of course LOZ:OOT, which I've already played through several times on the N64 and GC anyway), but even if KH:DDD was the only game that would ever come out on the 3DS, I'd still have bought it. The KH series is the best game series that I've ever played, and there's no way in hell that I'd miss a single part of it, no matter the cost.

member_10120918
14th Jun 2012, 17:07
I got my 3DS on launch date so it was a good investment.

iambasho777
14th Jun 2012, 17:57
For those of you who claim Days isn't hard - how many Challenge Sigils did you get? The main difficulty of the game wasn't in its storyline, but in the challenges, some of which were nearly impossible (the timed commander killing in Wonderland comes to mind, it took me about 50 tries until I finally got lucky and got it by 0.2 seconds). Also, the average playthrough of just the storyline is about 25 hours for me, which would take the average person about a week to do. I would strongly recommend getting a 3DS, especially if you don't have a DS and thus haven't played Days or Re:Coded (Days is important to the story, Re:Coded has some really fun gameplay, it's like BBS with all of the kinks ironed out).

15th Jun 2012, 07:33
No offense, but I think you're nuts to say such a thing, I mean, yes, 358/2 days wasn't very long or hard, but it had a pretty big chunk of the storyline in it, and I'm not one to settle for watching the walkthroughs in order to complete the storyline. Anyway, while there were some other games that made the 3DS more desireable when I bought it (all of which haven't come out yet, except kid icarus, which just isn't very good, and of course LOZ:OOT, which I've already played through several times on the N64 and GC anyway), but even if KH:DDD was the only game that would ever come out on the 3DS, I'd still have bought it. The KH series is the best game series that I've ever played, and there's no way in hell that I'd miss a single part of it, no matter the cost.

I'm not saying it was a bad game. I was just saying the story to it wasit that long. I find it just wasit a game where i wanted to play over again.
But you never know dream drop distance may be much longer, etheir way im getting it.

iambasho777
15th Jun 2012, 14:26
DDD has 7 worlds, one of which has a second visit for both Sora and Riku. You play each world as both S and R (meaning 16 total world visits), so storywise it should be of similar length to KHI, which had 14 world visits in all (KHII had 24 major ones, but on average those were significantly shorter than KHI's, and I am hoping that DDD's are longer than its, though I don't know yet). Also, all of the map screens should be around the size of the average KHI map, maybe a little bigger. In one of the interviews (check the KH Info Block if you want to find it and see the exact wording, I posted a topic with a link to it in the KHI forum) Nomura said to expect a 35 hour storyline, with around 12 hours of postgame stuff. As a comparison, we were told to expect a 55 hour storyline for FFXIII, so you can compare that with your time there (if you played it) to see how SE's expected times compare to your playstyle. For example, I usually take my time in games and try to find everything as I go, so the story part for me for XIII was around 67 hours, so for me I would expect DDD to take around 39-40 hours. The postgame content includes 50+ minibosses, a dream eater colliseum of sorts, and one beastly secret boss (youtube it if you wanna see him, it's actually a fair fight for once! His name is Julius)

Bit of an info overload there, sorry 'bout that. Does that make you think DDD with have at least some replay value, and will be a bit longer than Days? Oh, and if you're a Critical mode player it has to have some because (in the **** version at least) you can only unlock the Critical difficulty by beating Proud first

Ryutim
15th Jun 2012, 15:30
First, @ Richard, yes, 358/2 days wasn't very long, but it had a pretty vital part of the storyline in it, so it was more than worth the money I spent on it, and I tend to be a perfectionist, so I spent a lot longer playing the game than was really necesarry, and I usually try not to use any faqs or game guides, so that adds a bit more time, even if it's not very much. Anyway, @ Basho, like I said, I'm like you in that I try to get everything in the game as I go along, although I tend to settle for proud mode unless there's something special I can get by playing through on critical, but as for your earlier comment about Re:Coded and BBS, I completely disagree, Re:Coded was an almost complete waste of time, although it did give me a bit of info to speculate on about the nature of heartless, but apart from that, I hated what they did with it, all the different styles of gameplay completely ruined the game, I mean, KH already has the best gameplay I've ever played, so why did they think that inserting random 2D side scroller and rail based shooter style gameplay, among others? I don't get it. Maybe they were trying to see if any of it was any good, just like they did with COM and Re:COM, but unlike with them, Re:Coded completely failed. Anyway, as for the bit about BBS, I found it to be a very important part of the storyline, and it had some of the best gameplay in the series, so if anything, BBS is the most polished game in the KH series so far.

iambasho777
15th Jun 2012, 20:18
I wasn't talking about the 2 minute minigames at the end of every world, I was just talking about normal gameplay. I'm replaying BBS right now, and I gotta say I wish the normal gameplay was more like Re:Coded. BBS feels sluggish somehow compared to that, though I can't put my finger on why. Nomura himself said that the main purpose of Re:Coded was just for people to enjoy the gameplay and find out what Mickey's letter said. I think (not sure on this one) that Coded and Re:Coded combined have had the least amount of time and manpower put in to them, and they just wanted to release a game to meet Nomura's goal of a game a year.

Ryutim
16th Jun 2012, 15:01
I guess that makes sense, but I preferred BBS to Re:Coded, I'm not sure why, but I liked the command system in BBS better for some reason, although they're really not very different, but you're right that Re:Coded was a bit faster paced, the commands in BBS had a little more dramatic flare which slowed things down a bit, while the commands in Re:Coded were a lot faster, even though they were nearly as flashy. Another reason why Re:Coded seemed faster paced might be because it took less time to level up the commands than it did in BBS, although that might just be my experience with the game. I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but Re:Coded also seemed easier than any of the other KH games I've played, I mean, I played through the entire game on critical mode and never felt like I was going higher than normal difficulty.

YukiTsubaki
20th Jun 2012, 00:24
I'm buying the 3DS for this game and for Pokemon Black/White 2.

More often than not, it's usually an SE title that sinks me for a new console. (No more 360's or whatnot since I had the Red Ring of Death on mine and refuse to purchase another Microsoft gaming product!!)

Having said that, I do have a random question about the 3D aspects of this game: is the 3D function nessesary to play this? The lone time I played a 3DS, I only did so for about 15 minutes and had the worst headache from the 3D function. This has kept me from purchasing the 3DS for the moment...

member_10590028
20th Jun 2012, 00:46
The 3D is an option on the 3DS. You don't have to use it but it makes the game look so much better in my opinion. And Pokemon Black 2/White 2 is coming out as a DS title. It has even better 3D effects this time around. And if you do decide to use the 3D, just use it sparringly if you're not used to it. My eyes have adjusted to it fine and it's not been a bother to me since I first bought it.

Ryutim
20th Jun 2012, 15:09
The problem isn't so much the 3D, as it is getting used to holding the 3DS in a way that kept the 3D from shifting all the time, this is especially hard in racing games, or other games that have fast shifts in movement, but once you get used to it, you should be alright, but if you still have problems with it, you can just turn the 3D off with the slider to the side right of the top screen, and like Mystogan_T said, it can take some time to get used to, but it really does look better with the 3D turned on, although I'm usually more interested in the gameplay than the graphics, I find that the 3D can help when I'm trying to judge distances, which helps quite a lot in pretty much every non-sidescroller game that doesn't have turn based gameplay (two of the things that I hate most, sidescrolling games and turn based games).

YukiTsubaki
20th Jun 2012, 23:11
The 3D is an option on the 3DS. You don't have to use it but it makes the game look so much better in my opinion. And Pokemon Black 2/White 2 is coming out as a DS title. It has even better 3D effects this time around. And if you do decide to use the 3D, just use it sparringly if you're not used to it. My eyes have adjusted to it fine and it's not been a bother to me since I first bought it.

Thanks for the clarification!

I wear glasses, which might be the other reason that I was having the problems with it that I was. I know that you can turn off the 3D on the side, but didn't know if the game could still be played without it.

iambasho777
21st Jun 2012, 12:41
The only time I've seen so far that you "needed" the 3D effect was in a couple levels in Super Mario 3D Land, they designed it such that it was really hard to manuever a couple areas without the 3D on. I doubt there will be any such areas in KHDDD

Automaton
21st Jun 2012, 12:57
It's been stated that the 3D effect is less for "popping out of the screen" and more for "falling into the screen" during Dive Mode.

I tend to play my setting very low for 3D effect on some days, and fully cranked up on others.

member_10085059
21st Jun 2012, 14:53
I honestly haven't turned the 3D on mine on since January. haha

member_10590028
21st Jun 2012, 19:02
I tend to play my setting very low for 3D effect on some days, and fully cranked up on others.

I do the same thing with my 3DS. The only game I have that is 3D though is Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D and I use it on full blast in that game because it looks awesome.

Ryutim
21st Jun 2012, 23:57

Thanks for the clarification!

I wear glasses, which might be the other reason that I was having the problems with it that I was. I know that you can turn off the 3D on the side, but didn't know if the game could still be played without it.

I know some people who play the 3DS with glasses, so that shouldn't be an issue either, but it might change depending on the prescription, I don't know.

new_tradition
22nd Jun 2012, 01:53
I always seem to buy a new console for a S-E game. PS3 for FFXIII, a PSP for Crisis Core, DS for FFIII, etc. I just happened to luck out that more games came out for those systems from S-E (and other companies; sorry S-E! You're not my only love, lol)

I figure as long as you can grab at least 5 new games per console, it's roughly a break-even investment (unless you can just wait for everything to get cheaper, which seems to happen at a faster rate these days). I know of other games I would play on a 3DS, so I have no conflicting feelings over buying a 3DS. However, I do admit that it's KH3D that I must absolutely grab day 1. I can wait for the other 3DS titles, but not this one. Kingdom Hearts is happily ruining my life *_*

That said, I wanna break in my future 3DS with KH3D, so I plan to buy one close to the game's release date. I'm hoping the pricing drops a bit more, but if nothing else, I have reward points at store I can use towards the purchase of one, so it's all good.

But yeah, short answer is yes xD

Ryutim
22nd Jun 2012, 18:56
I'm with you dude, KH:DDD is definately a must buy game, and as soon as possible at that.

member_10590028
22nd Jun 2012, 21:10
To new_tradition: You gotta preorder the game to get some really good stuff to go with it. It won't be the same if you don't have the extra stuff along with it.

ProZel
23rd Jun 2012, 10:45
Don't just buy it for Dream Drop Distance, but for other games. You can also use the regular Nintendo DS games on the 3DS, but the regular games won't be in 3D. I know that I am going to buy one if I can, and it is an upgrade to a better system.

Matteo
23rd Jun 2012, 12:33
I won't buy a 3DS if KH 3D will not be transleted in italian and spanish!

Ryutim
24th Jun 2012, 00:17
That's your choice, but if any KH game was gonna be released in my area, and the only problem was that it was being released in a language that I'm unfamiliar with, I'd bite the bullet and learn the damn language, especially if it's japanese, I'd love to learn japanese, and not only for the games that they don't release in america, although that's a big part of it (damn KH final mixes that they only release in japan.).

member_10057843
25th Jun 2012, 18:10
KH has always been my reason to buy the portables; PSP, DS, and now 3DS. Hell, if they ended up releasing a KH for the Vita, I'd buy one. xDD

Shadow_Breaker
25th Jun 2012, 18:46
I bought my 3Ds just because of kingdom hearts and I'm still waiting for it to come out which is soon now.

Ryutim
26th Jun 2012, 18:12
I bought my 3DS when it first came out for the very same reason. It's been a long and annoying wait, but it's almost over. Just a little over a month and it'll all be worth it.

KeiichiMorisato98
27th Jun 2012, 09:29
i plan on buying the 3DS XL simply to play this game, i bought a PSP simply to play BBS and a DSi XL simply to play 358/2 and RE:coded. call me crazy but i love KH and im looking forward to DDD the only other JRPG im looking forward to this year is Ni NO Kuni but thats all to gether another topic.

member_10770952
28th Jun 2012, 13:06
i'll be getting a 3DS pretty soon. and the first game im buying will definitely be DDD^^ i'll just have to wait.

Shadow_Breaker
2nd Jul 2012, 09:24
i'll be getting a 3DS pretty soon. and the first game im buying will definitely be DDD^^ i'll just have to wait.

Dude its nothing bad but there a reason why there a 3 in front of the D so that you don't have to right DDD just KH3D.

Ryutim
2nd Jul 2012, 19:42
KH:DDD or KH3D, either one works, and really, they're both correct ways of spelling it.

Soraxel
5th Jul 2012, 14:07
i did since they announced that theyr gona make KH for 3DS

new_tradition
6th Jul 2012, 10:42
I just got a 3DS yesterday, so now all I need to do is wait for the game *_*

Lightning_Stryker
6th Jul 2012, 10:55
I'm getting one soon. This game was the main reason why but I've also found some other games that looked cool. Can't wait KH3D is almost here!

XGUNDAMZERO
6th Jul 2012, 21:10
i got a 3ds for KH 3D, but i also bought Tales of the Abyss which is really good and Kid Icarus Uprising. I believe that the 3DS has more than a few good launch titles. eventually i will get Theatrythm. I pre ordered the Mark of Mastery Edition of KH 3D.

SuperPirateCupcake
7th Jul 2012, 06:29
Once I get the money I'll buy a 3DS and this game. Now let's hope the next console game Kingdom Hearts comes out before the release of the PS4/Xbox720. :P

member_10628951
7th Jul 2012, 13:43
I bought a 3DS about a month and a half ago when I realized that Square and Nintendo wouldn't release a 3DS with Kingdom Hearts. So I bit the bullet and got it.

ShelkeNeko
7th Jul 2012, 14:28
Ive bought my 3ds during the first launch of march. yes the prices was insane for the 3ds however there pretty good amazin games there have i got it for other fans games i like, but was really excite about hit games of now. dont feel bad that you wish to own the 3ds only grab it for game you will have with you forever to keep playing even if you are a huge fan. i own a collection of games title but im not going to name drop them. >-< for the games im waiting on the most is Heroes of ruin , Kingdom hearts drop dream distance. yet there more in a few days hehe.

member_10057342
10th Jul 2012, 00:05
I bought it for this especially! :3

I only got 3 games and will continue to grow after KH3D. :3

Tev
10th Jul 2012, 00:26
I'll admit, I did get a 3DS just to play KH3D. But I ended up buying more games for the DS because I'd been wanting to play them for so long and lacked a prior DS system. Was a pretty good investment, I've got to say lol

Gailardios
10th Jul 2012, 00:28
I soley got a 3DS just for KH:3D and to play Re: coded and Days, but That didn't stop me from getting any other title such as Kid Icarus: Uprising or Pokemon Black and White 2

amberfire365
10th Jul 2012, 00:46
Nope, probably not even thought I would like too I just cannot afford it since I have to save up for grad school. I would love to play Theater Rhythm and Kingdom Hearts 3D if I could though.

Shadow_Breaker
10th Jul 2012, 11:17
Nope, probably not even thought I would like too I just cannot afford it since I have to save up for grad school. I would love to play Theater Rhythm and Kingdom Hearts 3D if I could though.

Aww! http://na.square-enix.com/tools/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/img/smiley-frown.gif don't worry I sure you will save enough money for school and you will get to play them both . ^_^

member_10538896
14th Jul 2012, 18:42
I wish I could :(, but sadly I am broke. Hopefully I'll be able to sell come things to get one! It may be after the release date when I get the game and a 3ds but its better than nothing at all, right?

Ryutim
14th Jul 2012, 19:46
Yeah, just as long as you get to play it, it'll work out alright. I had a problem with KH Chain of Memories, the game was glitchy as hell and it gave me headaches to look at it for any length of time, so I couldn't play through it, but I got to play and beat Re:Chain of Memories 100%, so I'm good.

Versellie
14th Jul 2012, 20:10
Im buying a 3DS for KH 3D and Theatrhythm so yeah

Maniac
16th Jul 2012, 23:26
I've never owned a DS or 3DS but I have to say that I was greatly impressed by this game's showing at the Nintendo 3DS conference at E3 this year. I was getting ready to put down the money for it...

...and then the 3DS XL got announced, so I'm going to wait until at least August. Rest assured I'll probably get one, it's got a fine library building up for it right now, and plenty more good games that are coming (this one included) so I will be playing the game, just probably not at release.

sqex_3665820
19th Jul 2012, 11:39
I'm going to get a 3DS for this game. Previously, I went through two DS Lite and currently a DSi; I'm surprise that my mom actually agreed on buying me a 3DS. But that's only because of my achievements from school that she lets me. If I did horrible, I could forget buying this game. Hopefully, it will survive unlike my DS Lite

If I'm not busy from school, I would probably by Theatrhythm for it too.

Shadow_Breaker
22nd Jul 2012, 22:37
I'm going to get a 3DS for this game. Previously, I went through two DS Lite and currently a DSi; I'm surprise that my mom actually agreed on buying me a 3DS. But that's only because of my achievements from school that she lets me. If I did horrible, I could forget buying this game. Hopefully, it will survive unlike my DS Lite

What happen to the first two Ds Lite ?

sqex_3665820
23rd Jul 2012, 07:20

Well, the top part of the first one became almost unattached to the bottom part, so that became unusuable. The second one, it won't turn on at all. I happen to take it on my one month trip to Vietnam, and the battery died on me. I tried recharging it at a hotel room, and many various location, but it just won't recharge. When I went home, I recharged it for... a week, and it still won't turn on.

Shadow_Breaker
23rd Jul 2012, 07:47

Well, the top part of the first one became almost unattached to the bottom part, so that became unusuable. The second one, it won't turn on at all. I happen to take it on my one month trip to Vietnam, and the battery died on me. I tried recharging it at a hotel room, and many various location, but it just won't recharge. When I went home, I recharged it for... a week, and it still won't turn on.

Wow thats mosta been a pain right well atlist your getting a 3Ds right http://na.square-enix.com/tools/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/img/smiley-laughing.gif

member_10006237
24th Jul 2012, 16:08
Sadly, this title in particular did spark my decision for the 3DS LL. Though I am validating it by purchasing a few more games; Theatrythm, Paper Mario(RPG), Bravely Default etc.

Maniac
14th Aug 2012, 21:53
I never owned a DS or 3DS in my life before, but that didn't mean there were no shortage of games for the platform that I would have been interested in had I gotten one.

With KH3D coming out I was planning to get one around the same time as the game's release, but when they announced the 3DS XL, I decided to hold off a 3DS purchase until the XL came out, since it had a few positives to it that interested me.

I picked up KH3D a few days ago, the same day I placed a preorder down for the 3DS XL. Right now it's in a box, unopened. So now I'm just waiting for the handheld to launch Sunday to play this awesome game. Anyone else in the same boat as me?

chocman123
19th Aug 2012, 17:05
Nope, Nope, and Nope.

Maniac
20th Aug 2012, 20:55
Well, no waiting anymore. I picked up my 3DS XL yesterday and unboxed it last night. I gotta say, it's AMAZING to see KH3D's opening cutscene on those screens.