PDA

View Full Version : Eurogamer Review 4/10

maniac44
25th Jun 2003, 17:10
Eurogamer has given it's review of AoD.

4/10

Here's a comment from the article:

"As a died in the wool Lara fan, it pains me to see the painful decline of a once great franchise. It would be perhaps harsh to dismiss AOD as a disaster, because real patience and persistence will reap a degree of rewards and satisfaction. The sad fact is, though, those who care passionately about the brand will be gutted that Core has failed to progress one of the most exciting and compelling 32-bit franchises. The real tragedy is that in gameplay terms it's a marked backward step for Tomb Raider and the damage this half baked, unfinished travesty of a game will do to the brand equity is incalculable. Sad to say it, AOD is indeed DOA for anyone but the most devoted Laraphile."

check out www.gamerankings.com for more reviews.

Mangar The Dark
25th Jun 2003, 17:30
Ouch.
My optimism for this game just gets higher and higher.... :rolleyes:

SMG
25th Jun 2003, 20:26
If you think that's bad, look at the review on http://www.gamerankings.com/ that gave it a 3/10. It said DO NOT BUY THIS GAME UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. I haven't played it, but it's a dissapointment that it's getting such consistently dismal reviews.

sspears
25th Jun 2003, 20:51
Psx Nation :confused:

What is their axe to grind? There is a difference between reviews that are critical but fair and those that are downright nasty. His frequent use of all caps clearly shows his state of mind and does nothing as far as influencing me. I have played the game and there is no way it's a 3/10. I have serious ground to question that review.

Glucolisis
25th Jun 2003, 23:03
Gamespot: 6.5
IGN: 5.3
All the other Magazines that you have already mentioned

And the most important: All the players in this forum saying the game was bad

This makes me want to cry!

numb
25th Jun 2003, 23:21
It would be perhaps harsh to dismiss AOD as a disaster, because real patience and persistence will reap a degree of rewards and satisfaction...

i agree, & continue to enjoy the game, tho i gotta say, i'm basically still in paris (way, way below), & i've already made more save than i do in most games (including mgs2 & final fantasy x) by the time i've finished them!...

this guy's main point's well taken - if 'died in the wool' fans, like he & myself, have struggled, will non-fans find anything here at all to enjoy? (he's also right about the opening - after a 3 year absence, it just don't pack the wallop it should've)...

Mgardiner
25th Jun 2003, 23:49
Originally posted by Glucolisis
And the most important: All the players in this forum saying the game was bad
[/B]

Ummm no :rolleyes:

Katie_Fleming
25th Jun 2003, 23:52
Oh my goodness. Core works for a year on a game, including sleepovers at the office when they had to work overtime. They worked VERy hard on this game and imagine you being in their position. You work so hard and then the whole world complains about what you just worked on. I feel real bad for them, because I know it's going to be great.

traider28
25th Jun 2003, 23:57
Its not that bad at all. I love the game but there are some problems but don't just about all games have problems.I would say maybe a 7/10 but that could change since I haven't beat it yet.:D

AdC
26th Jun 2003, 00:51
I'm a fan of tomb raider.I love lara.it is the best game which i have play in my life.I tell you this..TOMB RAIDER IS DEAD.we will never see again a tomb raider game like tomb raider 1 and 2.The new game is another game with the same name..Katie why you are so sure about it?:confused:

Mangar The Dark
26th Jun 2003, 01:13
Originally posted by Katie_Tomb_Raider
Oh my goodness. Core works for a year on a game, including sleepovers at the office when they had to work overtime. They worked VERy hard on this game and imagine you being in their position. You work so hard and then the whole world complains about what you just worked on. I feel real bad for them, because I know it's going to be great.

I admire your optimism, but I have to ask, WHY are you so sure it will be great? Don't get me wrong, I'm certainly hoping for the best, and I'm hoping that I'll enjoy it just as I've enjoyed TRs3-5 (even in spite of the lousy reviews they received), but I can't say I don't have some doubts in my mind after hearing the TYPES of complaints people have made. If the complaints were just, "Oh, it's another TR game and I'm sick of them," I wouldn't pay them any mind whatsoever. But when the complaints are, "The controls are the worst ever," and "she falls into nothingness for no reason," and "the game slows down inexplicably," I think we have reason to be a little concerned.

Lr&Kt
26th Jun 2003, 02:54
U know what the problem is?? these so called "reviewers" are sick of tr games cuz there are too many ps2 games that are like tr or have been better than tr, i. e. splinter cell metal gear solid etc. and aren´t very tolerant about games, the only review that i truly trust is pcgamers, but i won´t get it until the pc version comes out!!!:rolleyes:

numb
26th Jun 2003, 03:26
I think we have reason to be a little concerned.

we do...

if we want more lara, this game needs to succeed not only w/ tr's established fan base, but beyond w/ at least a portion of the general gaming public. if it bombs on that level (& if these reviews continue to whack it - sometimes harshly, but often fairly, i might add - , it just might), lara's future's gonna look none too bright...

Frugo_PL
26th Jun 2003, 03:26
Hey, do you know what Official Playstation 2 Magazine gave TR? 8/10! Yes, you read right, the biggest and most influencial magazine in the PS2 community said that the game is pretty good...!

maniac44
26th Jun 2003, 03:43
Originally posted by Frugo_PL
Hey, do you know what Official Playstation 2 Magazine gave TR? 8/10! Yes, you read right, the biggest and most influencial magazine in the PS2 community said that the game is pretty good...!

Maybe because it's a PS2 title and one of Sony's biggest sellers. Playstation Magazine, being a part of Sony, makes me think the review could be a little on the bias side (that's just my cautious side evaluating reviewers). It's almost like Eidos giving a review of AoD.

Or maybe it's because it's just what PS2 owners are looking for.

Katie_Fleming
26th Jun 2003, 14:06
I'm so sure about it, because they've put out 5 extroordinary games already -- what is stopping them from making a 6th? And look at what each of the previous game have had -- new installments every time that make the game even better than before!

In every game I have seen a progression -- I don't think it'll go downhill.

Then again I could be completely wrong -- but this is Core we're talking about here -- they work hard and do a great job!