PDA

View Full Version : Lara's Roots

Acceber
25th Jun 2003, 11:19
LÁRA f Icelandic
Icelandic form of LAURA

Feminine form of the Late Latin name Laurus, which meant "laurel". In ancient Rome the leaves of laurel trees were used to create victors' garlands. Saint Laura was a 9th-century Spanish martyr, a nun who was thrown into a vat of molten lead by the Moors. Another famous bearer was Laura Secord, a Canadian heroine during the War of 1812.

Maybe some actual research went into the name Lara! :o Molten lead, heroine..... it's all sounding pretty familiar. ;) Plus Iceland made an appearance in the first movie, even though it was dressed up as Siberia. :D

Well, I found it interesting. (from http://www.behindthename.com)

RebeL_fARmeR
25th Jun 2003, 11:33
Lara, Larisa, Larissa: Meaning light hearted and cheerful. find out more at www.iforgotwhichwebsiteigotthisinformationfrombutitscoolanyway.co.uk

:D

I call her Larissa sometimes. BUT NOT LAURA, that still annoys me!

thanhkim
29th Jun 2003, 10:33
Originally posted by RebeL_fARmeR
Lara, Larisa, Larissa: Meaning light hearted and cheerful. find out more at www.iforgotwhichwebsiteigotthisinformationfrombutitscoolanyway.co.uk

I call her Larissa sometimes. BUT NOT LAURA, that still annoys me! That's our Lara

Nerevar
29th Jun 2003, 18:47
Originally posted by Acceber
Feminine form of the Late Latin name Laurus, which meant "laurel".

And success, victory and triumph if my memory serves me ;).

Also Croft being an entirely English word (although reference is made to Carafe in Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary).

LARA is also shorthand for Light Armed Reconnaissance Aircraft and or Low Altitude Radar Altimeter - which I'm sure makes sense to some people, John Carter I would presume.

Other Lauras include Laura Badea (OL: Gold medal - fencing); Laura E. Richards (Pulitzer Price: (Auto)biography); and Laura what's-her-name (Don Juan).

CatSuit&Ponytail
30th Jun 2003, 13:27
Nerevar, *snicker* you presumably presume correctly, hehehe. :D

I'm sorry Ace, I thought you were on about her hair again! :o :p Ok, ok, so I'm obsessed with my hair, so what? :mad: :D

THE True Lara
30th Jun 2003, 18:45
'Lara' also has roots in the Russian language, not unlike my own name ;)

Interesting link though, it's pointed out a few things I hadn't heard about before, infact if you trace the origin of both my parent's first names back to their latin roots it turns out they both have the same name! :eek: :)
How odd is that?!
And whilst I'm linked to Santa Claus, and my brother is a stone, though we've both had Russian czar's bear our names........... which is an odd coincidence to find out since I was brushing up on my Russian last week!

It's a funny old world isn't it. :)

John Carter
1st Jul 2003, 00:12
Originally posted by Nerevar

LARA is also shorthand for Light Armed Reconnaissance Aircraft and or Low Altitude Radar Altimeter - which I'm sure makes sense to some people, John Carter I would presume.

Makes sense to me. Both are no longer in the inventory, having been superceded by more newer stuffs.

Currently, the acrynomic pride of DoD, a joint project betwixt DARPA and DTRA, is the newest LARA-

Lowband Asynchronously Radiating Atavachron

This tactical directed temporal regression field projector is used against point and small area targets, such as bunkers, infantry squads, and 1960's era Vulcan science officers, and neutralizes them by sending them back thousands of years in time to a cold cave containing a hot Mariette Hartley in a fur bikini.

CatSuit&Ponytail
1st Jul 2003, 09:23
The horror!

Mangar The Dark
8th Jul 2003, 14:29
From Kabalarians.com:

Your name of Lara creates an intense desire for association with people and new experiences, many of which have been rather bitter. This name has given you a gregarious personality and a quick-thinking, creative, and versatile nature, but one that is unstable emotionally. You desire change and travel and would enjoy opportunities that allowed you to be creative and to act independently, rather than to conform to system and routine. However, this name does not allow you to complete your undertakings, as farther fields always look greener. Although you may appear confident and positive, you actually lack confidence and feel self-conscious at times. This name spoils patience and depth of thought, and weakens your stand in matters of principle. You are too open to suggestion, and thus you could become involved in detrimental associations which could lead you into by-paths of thrill-seeking or emotional indulgence. Any weakness in your health would appear in the fluid functions as kidney, bladder, or circulatory problems. or in a sensitivity affecting your stomach.

This sounds pretty much on-target to me!

quick-thinking, creative, versatile-- That's her.

emotionally unstable-- Kills anyone who gets in her way... yeah, I think she's a bit unstable.

desire change and travel-- Need I say more?

act independently-- She never was a team player... well, until Kurtis showed up.

appear confident-- No doubt about it.

actually lack confidence and feel self-conscious-- Wow! Well, what do you know? And yet she wears those skimpy outfits!

could become involved in detrimental associations which could lead you into by-paths of thrill-seeking-- Hmmm... helping Natla? "I only play for sport?" Yep, on-target again.

And, also from kabalarians.com, we see the meaning of "Croft"--

Your name of Croft gives you a strong sense of responsibility in business and material affairs, and the practicality and determination to make a success of anything you undertake. You are self-sufficient and capable, and have an interest in positions of leadership and responsibility. You are competent in directing the efforts of others, as you have good business judgment and the natural understanding of people. Very likely you have assumed much responsibility early in life and are often required to make major decisions. You appreciate settled, accumulative conditions, and a high standard of living. You have a strong, determined nature and tend to dominate others, and to interfere, at times, in your desire to be helpful. This name gives you many good characteristics, but it is too strong, creating a materialistic nature and bringing out a forceful, demanding quality. The heavy responsibility your name creates can result in a worrying, intense nature. It spoils the development and expression of your warmer, more feminine attributes. It causes tension and allied problems in the female organs.

Not quite as on-target, but some of it matches.