PDA

View Full Version : startopia in linux via wine?

neighborlee
25th Jun 2003, 06:10
hi there everyone..

My friend and I enjoy playing startopia but the problem is..I'd like very much to get it working on my linux system where my much better system exists ( windows box has a nasty PII450 with horrid 15" monitor) so I"m wondering..has anyone got this working in linux via wine or winex?

or does anyone know if the company would be willing to help the wine team get game working in linux?..better option is a native linux startopia..but thats not possible given its a directx game so...

thx anyone
lee
-===

DMA57361
25th Jun 2003, 15:03
I'm not aware of anyone that has even tried let alone been successful - but they're probably have been several . . . and MF pop into the forum occasionally so might comment. But I don't know if they'd be able to spend time helping, I don't know what they are working on right now . . .

Also, welcome to the forum. :)

Mucky Foot
25th Jun 2003, 21:30
Ahhh, kids today... we developed the game on P2/450s, and that was if you were lucky.

Dual boot is your best option. Any other option really is unrealistic. It would be eaiser to do <whispers>StarTopia 2</whispers>. Nuff said...

TomF - Muckyfoot coder.

neighborlee
25th Jun 2003, 23:10
Originally posted by Mucky Foot
Ahhh, kids today... we developed the game on P2/450s, and that was if you were lucky.

Dual boot is your best option. Any other option really is unrealistic. It would be eaiser to do <whispers>StarTopia 2</whispers>. Nuff said...

TomF - Muckyfoot coder.
--------------
well i'm not beat yet..i'm still going to try winexcvs...but yeah I doubt its going to fly..

its not such really that the ole PII450 couldn't do it...but that ( i'm broke for now ) the 15" monitor is major sucky and not a very immersive experience..you guys did startopia so well...that on my 21" monitor is really the only way to fly <G>( plus linux has and remains my OS of choice due to stability/no worry of virus's and just plain kewl to hang out with other developers/people on IRC)..so kudos to you for such a awesome game...buit truly if I have to use windows to play it ..likely it wont get spun very often ;(sigh ( I hate dual booting) ;)

startopia 2 on linux?..man that would be so awesome!!!..

as it is we have neverwinter nights, and now savage.. reallll kewl rts/fps that is just amazing....we even have a level editor working native here in linux...we also have UT2003/quake3 of course ( getting doom III) and several other titles with much more to come!! ( linuxgamepublishing.com)..

point is it looks like linux games are getting a LOT of attention and well deserved too I might add ;-)))

here's hoping,--and thx so very much for replying at all ;)))

cu/thx
lee
-====

MunkeeChum
26th Jun 2003, 12:34
It would be eaiser to do <whispers>StarTopia 2</whispers>. Nuff said...

TomF - Muckyfoot coder.

Dont make me beat you....

kool_kats_rule
28th Jun 2003, 18:19
It would be eaiser to do <whispers>StarTopia 2</whispers>. Nuff said...

TomF - Muckyfoot coder.

The world is crumbling!