PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 at gamespot

Ethereal
24th Jun 2003, 00:35
Well this blows it. TR officially died.

Cooknn
24th Jun 2003, 00:47
That's because they reviewed the PS2 version. My guess is the PC version will be very successful. The PS2 is so far behind in technology (compared to the PC) in order to achieve 60fps with the level of graphics in TR:AOD they had to cut a lot of corners IMHO.

Bring on the PC version and leave the graphics processing to the individual and you'll get a completely different take. I can't wait :p

- Dave

Mgardiner
24th Jun 2003, 01:01
Funny thing is...the scores dont matter to me. Ive bought every single Tomb Raider (even for systems I dont own..man that's sad lol) and Ive enjoyed them all like it was my first time playing. A bad TR score isnt gonna get me down Ive gotten use to it. Those who like Tomb Raider like it for what it is..not for what people give it.... Personally I never rely on reviews to judge my game purchases and Iam glad that I dont should I decide to Id miss out on so many games that Ive really enjoyed. To true fans of a series the score does not matter only to those so called "casual" gamers that cant see past a set of numbers does the score matter. Well that's my 2 cents

Claus.DuBois
24th Jun 2003, 01:06
Look at the bright side. It beat out "Big Mutha Truckers" 6.2 rating!

Seriously though, this could get very interesting. Based on the Gamespot comments and the forum postings, the PS2 version gets major bad marks for clunky control, camera view, sound and lag. These could all very well be PS2-only issues. So I wouldn't be surprised if Gamespot's review of the PC version comes in a full 1 to 2 points higher at say 7.5 to 8.5.

Glad I'm a PC player. Can't wait to find out.

P.S. -- I was a little surprised to see Gamespot come out with a review so early and before the PC version. There was a ton of advertsing for the game on Gamespot site which had to be big revenues. Good for them though.

jso2897
24th Jun 2003, 01:11
Read the review. Made me want the game more. The things I like in a game - beautiful environment, good story, atmosphere, the obviously hostile reviewer grudgingly admits to. But I don't really expect the numbthumbed geekboys over at gamespot to give a TR game a good review. They've panned the last three or four. These guys are "serious" gamers, who see gaming as more of a technological challenge than an art. They like to talk about "framerates" and "benchmarking", and their idea of a great game is Unreal Tournament or some similarly mindless crap. The fact that they gave it a 6.5 means that it more likely rates an honest 9.0. I'll be getting it for the PC anyway. After reading all this stuff, I went and looked up the stats on the PS2. 300mhz CPU, 32meg ram - seems just a tad weak. No wonder the game plays slow. It's all academic to me anyway - I'll never own a console, most likely.

midroth
24th Jun 2003, 01:50
... TR officially died. I give a dirt about this "gamespotters"!! And you should, too.

Meteor9999
24th Jun 2003, 02:03
The PS2 is so far behind in technology (compared to the PC)

You compaired something that changes day to day to some thing that once its made is out of date.

and a far as the GameSpot score goes they were a goos sorce for gaming but once they started charging to look at the site i lost all respect.

soniqstylz
24th Jun 2003, 02:07
PC gamers realize: PS2 doesn't need to run an Operating System, especially hogs like ME or XP. It also doesn't need to run the 50 or so programs you have running in the background.

And once you get to a certain processor speed, it doesn't make a difference. Anything over 1.0 GHz is pointless, really, for the next couple of years. It's all in memory. And again, PS2 doesn't need to run a lot of memory.

Now, that said, games are often "dumbed down" for PSX or PS2.

And yes I do have a fairly good running PC (1.6 Ghz P4, 256 RAM), but I like the controls on PS2 better.

NrthnStar5
24th Jun 2003, 03:03
THe review was not horrible. Like, when i was done reading the review, it sounded like the score should have at least been 7 or 7.5 The good things that it pointed out made me very excited about it. I'm sure the score shoudl be a little higher for the PC, considering the slow downs should not be happening. We shall see!

DanO-mulder
24th Jun 2003, 03:22
Who cares what Gamespot thinks...Those dorks would'nt know a good game if bit 'em in the a$$.

jso2897 was dead on..they never rate anything high unless it's a "run around like an idiot free for all multiplayer shooter" that they can play without getting they're butts kicked.

I would'nt get to worked up or put much stock in what they and some other game review sites have to say.

Play it yourself...don't wait for someone to play it for you then tell you how it was.

Blue Raider
24th Jun 2003, 03:58
Right on MULDER! Your opinion is not only wise but one of the funniest I've seen in the forums. " ...if it bit'em in the a$$", now those are words that really hit the spot considering Gamespot money-sucking ways.

Claus.DuBois
24th Jun 2003, 04:05
Agreed, the 6.5 doesn't mean you should not play the game. It just means you should not pay $50, but rather $20 when it hits the bargain bin in couple of months or within the first 2 weeks when players trade it in for game credits. That's all.

Ringwraith6
24th Jun 2003, 14:30
Gamespot along with Edge magazine can be really mean sometimes. They wait for games they know everyone's been waiting for and everyone's gonna buy and they bury them with their reviews! Enter The Matrix is a recent example, they both buried it (especially Edge which gave it a 3/10) but the game is not half as bad as they describe it. It actually is quite good and enjoyable, perfect it may not be (especially with a glitch involving the machine's denial to load certain levels if cheats or many saves were used, Atari had to actually ask employees to warn people about this problem and tell them how to get around it!) but it wasn't all bad as they describe it though. I don't know what they want to show the world with this attitude, they act like film critics that mock all those queing to see The Matrix Reloaded and not some Independent Iranian film for example. Oh well...

Mangar The Dark
24th Jun 2003, 15:06
The review seemed very reasonable to me, and not overly harsh at all. In fact, it really does NOT sound like the reviewer hates TR. To me, it sounds like he wanted to like the game, and he saw the potential was there, but bad design decisions ultimately kept it from reaching its potential. True, the reviewer is probably not some diehard fan who hangs out on TR forums all day at work (like yours truly), but I just as I wouldn't trust the judgement of someone who despises the TR franchise, I also wouldn't trust the judgement of a fanboy who feels Lara can do no wrong.

I usually agree with Gamespot's reviews, and find them to be fair, so I'll respect their judgement on this one (and no, I don't work for them!) I haven't yet played AOD because I'm waiting for the PC version. I'm optimistic that it may be an improvement. In any case, I'll probably get the game since its good points (atmosphere, story, environments, etc) are very important qualities to me. I just hope the controls don't ruin it completely for me.

Cooknn
24th Jun 2003, 15:19
Originally posted by Mangar The Dark
I just hope the controls don't ruin it completely for me. For the short period of time I played AOD on the PS2 (before I sent it to Eidos to exchange for the PC version) I actually became pretty used to the way to control Lara. It is different but not bad. I dislike the PS2 controller and am looking forward to seeing how they make her work on the PC. Hoping for something like Max Payne. I picked that right up. OTOH, my 13 year old was having a good time on the PS2 and didn't mind the control scheme at all. Guess that goes with the age ;)

- Dave

Claus.DuBois
24th Jun 2003, 17:34
Originally posted by Ringwraith6
Gamespot along with Edge magazine can be really mean sometimes. They wait for games they know everyone's been waiting for and everyone's gonna buy and they bury them with their reviews! Enter The Matrix is a recent example, they both buried it (especially Edge which gave it a 3/10) but the game is not half as bad as they describe it. It actually is quite good and enjoyable, perfect it may not be (especially with a glitch involving the machine's denial to load certain levels if cheats or many saves were used, Atari had to actually ask employees to warn people about this problem and tell them how to get around it!) but it wasn't all bad as they describe it though. I don't know what they want to show the world with this attitude, they act like film critics that mock all those queing to see The Matrix Reloaded and not some Independent Iranian film for example. Oh well...

I never rely on single ratings, but I do pay attention to the overall average ratings that some sites accumulate like GameRankings.com. Even then it doesn't mean I won't buy the game but gives me a better feel for a fair value to pay. I figure an average rating of 8.75 and up is worth full price ($50 currently). An average rating of 7.5 to 8.75 is worth about $30 and a rating below that should be $20 or less. It acutally tracks with reality quite well. Enter the Matirx can easily be found for $20 now , if for no other reason than the store returns have been so high for this game that you can find a new/used copy. GameRankings.com average ratinf for Matirx is 6.3 based on 50 plus ratings.

spanks
24th Jun 2003, 18:30
I'm surprised so many of you guys care about the $$$. My question is whether it's worth my time to play it. 30 hours of my free time is worth much more to me than the $30 that I MIGHT save by waiting six months.

moe888uk
24th Jun 2003, 18:32
Ethereal: Dont care about mag reviews, dude. I am sure you are a TR fan, its better to take an opinion of another TR fan on board and you can find plenty of them here.

Zansky
24th Jun 2003, 18:37
I dunno about the money...to me its how much time i can get out of the game. I dunno if im wierd or not, but i play through games multiple times...like 5 or 6. So i ALWAYS get my money's worth out of a game. I find it more satisfying tho if the game has at list 20 hrs of gameplay. It just is fun to me. Heres the list

Halo - 8 times
HL- 7
SR2 - 7
Max Payne 7
SR1 - 4

Just a few...the more you play the game the more its worth. :)

Claus.DuBois
24th Jun 2003, 18:51
Originally posted by spanks
I'm surprised so many of you guys care about the $$$. My question is whether it's worth my time to play it. 30 hours of my free time is worth much more to me than the $30 that I MIGHT save by waiting six months.

That's true only if you have no other alternatives for your time. Most people do, so it's all relative. It's like anything else you purchase, You're willing to pay what you think the value is and everybody's value system is a bit different. Would you pay $70,000 for any car, regardless of brand or model. What about tires---same price for evry tire? What about italian food--same price for all restaurants regardless of quality? I don't think so, so that's why it doesn't make sense to me to pay the same full price for most every game regardless of the quality. Otherwise, you it's easy to end up with a thousands of dollars of games that you only played once or nefver really played at all.

I'm a discriminating buyer, that's all I'm saying. I pay for value to me, not a franchise, not a name, not a brand, not how many hours it took someone to build it -- just pure value to me.

Omega_Weapon
24th Jun 2003, 19:21
http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/468726.asp

Maxim gives it a 10/10! It's not hard to distract them with boobs. :p

PSX nation gives it a 30%, which ranks as a 3/10. Not very good. :(

Zansky
24th Jun 2003, 19:25
I just read the PSX nation review. From the start the guy sounds like hes out to hate on the game. So i don't hold much to it...im waiting for PC reviews... well that and IGN's review. And more importantly...My review :)

unkwon
24th Jun 2003, 21:29
Atleast it did'nt get the common Ts and As smirks like TR always gets in alot of review!

rns91294
24th Jun 2003, 21:37
Why don't you ask people here? I give it a 9 out of 10. I have played all the other TR games and love them all. If you are a fan, this is a must buy, even if it cost $100 (of course if you pay that much for it, something is wrong with you). Anyway, a 6.5? Makes no sense, the graphics are good, the controls are fine once you get used to them, the sound is good and there is so much you can do that you can go and play it a second time with different results at some parts. To me, that is a good game. I read reviews, but never go by them. As somone else said, if I went by reviews, I would have missed out on a lot of great games.

Claus.DuBois
24th Jun 2003, 23:31
Originally posted by Omega_Weapon
http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/468726.asp

Maxim gives it a 10/10! It's not hard to distract them with boobs. :p

PSX nation gives it a 30%, which ranks as a 3/10. Not very good. :(

LOL, Maxim is basically a disquised titty magazine, so their score is no surpise and probably shouldn't be relied on!

cheers

Claus.DuBois
24th Jun 2003, 23:37
Originally posted by rns91294
I read reviews, but never go by them. As somone else said, if I went by reviews, I would have missed out on a lot of great games.

So how many crappy games do you own then? If you buy a lot of games and you pay no attention to any reviews (fan or professional reviews), I guarantee you that you have bought a lot of crappy games because there are a lot more average and crappy games put out than there are decent ones!

Of course if all your games are paid for by someone else, it probably makes no difference whether they are crappy or good. When the coin comes form your pocket, your tune will change a bit.

cheers

jso2897
25th Jun 2003, 01:14
Well, the gaming public ignored the "serious" game reviewers regarding the matrix game, and they may do so with AOD as well. I was @ CompUSA today to inquire about the PC version (27th, they say) and the guy was surprised when I told him there were no PS2 versions on the shelf - he saw the empty shelf and hustled off *****ing that he'd been restocking them all day long, and couldn't keep them on the shelf.

Claus.DuBois
25th Jun 2003, 01:35
Originally posted by jso2897
Well, the gaming public ignored the "serious" game reviewers regarding the matrix game

Ask them how many returns there have been. An EB store told me that they had never seen so many games returned----they were talking about the Matrix.

maniac44
25th Jun 2003, 02:05
When it comes to reviews, I treat them like Olympic scoring.
I read them all, throw out the highest and lowest score, then average the remainning reviews. Then I can usually get a good feeling of what the game will really be like.

Ringwraith6
25th Jun 2003, 09:16
Well you see my friend there was a HUGE problem with Enter The Matrx that drove many people to insane asylums lol. You see there was a glitch on the airport levels and if you saved yoo often during these levels or had some cheats activated, the game would either crash on the exact same spot no-matter how many times you tried or it would refuse to load two levels [one for each character, by refuse to load i mean that after the loading screen for these levels (Niobe-Catching a plane Gkost-Control Tower 2) the game would ALWAYS display nothing but a black screen!] At first everyone thought that perhaps their discs were faulty and had them returned and exchanged with new ones but, since the problem had nothing to do with the discs but with the code or something like that, the problem would remain no matter how many new copies they tried!! I've read in some other forum that some people thought that their console had a problem and so they tried to load these levels on brand new consoles (I think this problem is PS2 only) and had the exact same problem!! Soon a rumor that there no levels beyond these two started spreading!! Atari had to ask emploees in all major stores to warn people about the problem and tell them no to use cheats during these levels. That's way there were a lot of returns of Enter The Matrix Discs. To be honest i haven't heard many PAL version owners (being one my self) complaining about this problem, so maybe it's only on the NTSC version. I have passed through the afforomentioned levels with no problem at all (apart from the standard "echo" problem).

rns91294
26th Jun 2003, 15:01
Originally posted by Claus.DuBois
So how many crappy games do you own then? If you buy a lot of games and you pay no attention to any reviews (fan or professional reviews), I guarantee you that you have bought a lot of crappy games because there are a lot more average and crappy games put out than there are decent ones!

Of course if all your games are paid for by someone else, it probably makes no difference whether they are crappy or good. When the coin comes form your pocket, your tune will change a bit.

I don't think I own any crappy games, and I pay for them all myself. Have over 50 right now. I play them all and love them all. I do not go by professional reviews (it is the same with movies, my opinion is different than those reviewers as well). I may go to a forum and ask people that own the games their opinions, but if I think I will like a game, I get it. Just because you think a game is crappy, doesn't mean that I will. It is all based on opinions if you ask me.