PDA

View Full Version : Rate AOD NOW!

midroth
23rd Jun 2003, 16:05
Choose and vote... Your all in all rate...

Crosbie
23rd Jun 2003, 21:59
Bump.

SkitleZ
23rd Jun 2003, 23:59
Bump rhymes w/ hump

RedLegg
24th Jun 2003, 05:36
No more wire bumps......:D

KillahFrog
24th Jun 2003, 22:44
I posted this on another thread, but here ya go...

The Story

Well done... I think they really did a good job. I was a little worried when I kept hearing that AOD wouldn't be the typical "Tomb Raiding" experience (that's what I liked about the TR series), but I was pleasantly surprised that there is plenty of Tomb Raiding to be done. Kinda of a nice little twist that you get towards the end, but I will say no more.

The Graphics

I have the PS2 version, and I'm impressed with the graphics. Very well done. But there is a problem with the graphics.... At times, there is some much going on graphically (particle systems seem to cause this problem the most) that the PS2 cannot keep up. The result is a slow-mo effect that is just irritating. If you can get past the slow-downs (there aren't a lot, but enough to be irritating), then the PS2 does do a good job all in all. I'm sure the PC version is even better.

The Controls

I hate them. Why do I have to push the analog stick twice to get her to run without some sort of slow increase of speed? Is this an attempt at an inertia system? If it is, it is not well done. On top of that, every TR in the past used the system where if you press the stick up... Lara would move forward. Not anymore... Now Lara moves on the screen the direction you point the stick... Well... How bad can that be? It's bad. Especially when the camera angle switch from behind her to somewhere else (like when you enter a room and the camera switches to show you entering the room). Next thing you know, you aren't walking where you thought you were walking. Blah... The PS2 manual also states that you can tap the triangle button to switch between multiple combat targets while you have your weapon out... No you can't. In fact there is a mission that requires you to be able to switch between targets and it took me 2 hours to get past that point because I just had to get lucky by putting my gun away, getting it back out and hoping it picked a different target. Not a good thing.

Misc

Well.. here's where I don't know where to put my other gripes... Like, consistently being able to fall through the entire world into an endless fall into oblivion. Woohoo! Or watching Kurtis' legs wrap up and over his head like they were on swivles when he gets hit by the green Boaz goop (you'll understand when you get there if you haven't seen it already). Or how occasionally, Lara's pony-tail takes on a mind of it's own and goes crazy all over the screen. There are some serious problems with this game that in time will be fixed by the PC version, but I'm shafted with a bug ridden PS2 version.

Overall

I liked the game. Good story, good graphics.. The PS2 just doesn't seem to be able to handle all of the graphics at some points. But the controls are cumbersome and difficult to get use to, and the game has some serious graphical and gameplay glitches that make the PS2 version a bad bad buy.

If you are a TR fan, you'll like the game, if you aren't, and get the PS2 version, take it back before you open it... Chances are if you play it and run into the bugs that constantly plagued me... You'll never buy an Eidos game again.

On a side note, if for any reason you think that I didn't support something I didn't like I'll be happy to come back and explain it in excruciating details. At one point last night while I was attempting to get out of a crawl position in a vent, my wife turns to me and says "you should tape this and send it to Eidos." I probably should have. It took me 10 minutes to get out of the vent because the controls were flakey.

KF

dangerdrew
25th Jun 2003, 01:56
I always feel very badly about criticizing a game because I know how hard the team must have worked on it. But, the fact is, this game is little improved over its entire history. It feels extremely dated and just isn't cutting the mustard anymore.
Control is very awkward, the camera is uncooperative, the levels are sparse and unpopulated, the puzzles are really more "tasks" than "puzzles", the action is plodding, there are a ton of glitches and flaws (like collision detection, HUGE slowdown, levitating objects...), and the graphics are too simple to allow immersion into the Tomb Raider universe.
I own and love all video game systems that have come out in the last 20 years, so don't think I am bashing when I say that the PS2 just can't keep up with the "other" big system out there (which I don't want to mention because I don't want to start the flames going). But the levels in TR are small and limited, with long load times in between due to a lack of RAM and no hard drive. The graphics have super muddy textures that actually create confusion because I don't know if some thing is near or far, shadowed or just dark, convex or concave... you get the point. This makes me feel a little bit like I am in a fun house, bumping my way around until I can find the exit. And where are the bump and specularity maps? They would help visually clarify what it is I am looking at.
Another huge issue for me is that things you can grab and climb are inconsistent. I am constantly leaping to my death because I thought that which was at the other end of the jump was climbable. Some chain link fences, ledges, pipes, vines, etc. ARE climbable, but many or not. This leads to a lot of confusing gameplay. You have to try the leap several times just to make sure it wasn't YOU that did the jump wrong. And each time you fall, you have to wait 2 minutes for the thing to re-load again. This really spoils the flow and consistency of the game. It feels more like frustrating work than adventure and fun.
I respect the effort gone into this game, but it really can't be done on the PS2. I don't think more money or time would have saved this project, and it does in fact seem like a half-finished and abandoned project due to the errors mentioned above (and many left unmentioned). The PS2 is just too anemic to push the world the creators had envisioned, even with all their MAJOR concessions. Plus, the programmers need to buck up and admit that their control scheme is inefficient and severley dampens immersiveness.
My top recommendations to the programmers would be to:
1) Go with a control set-up like a first person shooter, but leave the 3rd person vantage as is! The first person, dual-stick controls are proven to work very well and would add a ton of life to the game.
2) If you need more power than what a system can give you, just program the game for the PC for now (or another system) rather than destroying the game to meet the lowest common denominator of processing power.
3) Empty worlds worked in tombs, because tombs are not usually populated. But the streets of Paris without a single pedestrian or car? Is this a post apocalyptic piece or what? Don't do half assed design. Either do it right or bin the project from the get-go.
4) Make actual puzzles rather than bland, required routines with a lot of back-tracking. Always move the gamer FORWARD through the universe; not forward, back, forward, back, repeat... That starts to bore the gamer.
5) If you are going to introduce new features like stealth, make it integral to gameplay and fully develop the capabilities. It seems like a last minute "me too" add-on the way it is implemented here.
I'll just stop now so others can get their words in. I know I sounded harsh, but please don't misconstrue my desires for genre advancement as mindless bashing. I would just like to see games be the best they can be. I still do wish to thank the development team for putting in their best efforts and long, hard hours of work.

Atreyu
25th Jun 2003, 09:49
funny but the game doesn't feel like their best effort. in fact no game since TR 2 has felt like their best effort. and as for using the first person shooter controls (dual analog controls) i don't think it would work since it is from the third person perspective and aiming from the third person perspective and be a real b*tch. it is fine as it is with auto aim but there should be an option to switch targets. that's all. now i'm done. not gonna say anything about how the slowdown is the PS2's fault since better graphics adn more activity have been seen in other games where no slowdown occurs (Splinter Cell, GTA: Vice City, Red Faction, and Red Faction 2). not gonna say anything about that.

Atreyu
25th Jun 2003, 09:52
slowdown is the PS2's fault since better graphics adn more activity

i meant to say "slowdown isn't the PS2's fault since better graphics and more activity"

richard
25th Jun 2003, 12:08
Well this is the 25th of June and it's still not available in Canada, so my vote say's Eidos marketing sucks when they can't distribute to everyone basically at the same time. Futureshop, which is owned by BestBuy(american company) even had it on sale last week, to bad they had '0' stock the whole time!

snark^
25th Jun 2003, 12:34
Given the reviews so far we ought to be thanking them for the delay because it might mean they're fixing the showstopper bugs (freezes, slowdown) and maybe even the minor glitches (floating Lara, objects) and adding what was supposed to be in (manual aim in sneak mode).

Gamerankings: 56.7% [avg of some reviews below]
http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/468726.asp

Eurogamer: 4/10
http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=52394

Gamespot: 6.5/10
http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/adventure/tombraidertheangelod/review.html

IGN: 5.3/10
http://ps2.ign.com/articles/425/425632p1.html

Maxim Online: 5/5
http://www.maximonline.com/entertainment/reviews/review_games_5595.html

PSX Nation: 3/10
http://www.psxnation.com/reviews/ps2reviews?idnumber=000488

Sony Gaming Target: 7.9/10
http://sony.gamingtarget.com/reviews/ps2.cgi?id=229

Ethereal
25th Jun 2003, 14:22
They worked hard on it :o Don't let me laugh!
Yes they are working hard now because they didn't do anything for 6 years. This is their pay-off.

Progres goes like this:
TR1 TR2 TR3 TR4 TR5 TR6
1 -- 2 -- 3 -- 4 -- 5 -- 6

Not like they do:
TR1 TR2 TR3 TR4 TR5 TR6
1 -- 1 -- 1 -- 1 -- 1 -- 6 (hey wait they dont reach 6, lets make it 4)

XanderD2
25th Jun 2003, 18:41
Originally posted by Ethereal
They worked hard on it :o Don't let me laugh!
Yes they are working hard now because they didn't do anything for 6 years. This is their pay-off.

Progres goes like this:
TR1 TR2 TR3 TR4 TR5 TR6
1 -- 2 -- 3 -- 4 -- 5 -- 6

Not like they do:
TR1 TR2 TR3 TR4 TR5 TR6
1 -- 1 -- 1 -- 1 -- 1 -- 6 (hey wait they dont reach 6, lets make it 4)

Or rather:

TR1 TR2 TR3 TR4 TR5 TR6
1 - 1.05 - 1.1 - 1.2 - 1.205 - 2

;)

dangerdrew
25th Jun 2003, 21:12
Point well taken about there being other games with more action and better graphics without any slowdown on the PS2. I agree that efficient design can often over-come processing power deficiencies. I guess I just like to put the square peg in the round hole with a larger hammer rather than with some strategic use of sand paper on the corners of the peg.
When I see mediocre polygon counts with low-res textures and minimal other real-time effects being pumped out at less than 10 fps, I just think there's gotta be some issue with the hardware. But the role of system optimization cannot be understated.
As far as first person control in a third person view not working, there are some excellent games that prove to the contrary. It does work exceedingly well. You just need a reticle in the center of the screen to show the aiming point. The computer doesn't have a parallax problem that I think you are alluding to. You get the quick, natural control of a first person shooter, but you also get the added benefit of seeing more of what's happening immediately around your character. This means easier, more precise movement, better understanding of the environment, with better tracking and accounting of threats and targets. Gameplay flows quicker, easier, and more intuitively.
A couple posters have commented that the development team didn't really try. Well, I have to admit that I expected more. I wouldn't have gotten the game had I known of it's multitude of short comings. But, nonetheless, EVERY game made is a major undertaking, even the ones that don't turn out as well. It's very easy from the consumer side to say that we expect a lot more, but it's very difficult on the developer's side to make all those dreams come true. The bar is raised daily, and this game SHOULD have come out several years ago to compete. But it's dead in the water compared to the top-shelf titles of today.
Yes, I expected more from the game. But I still say the team did put in a lot more hours than consumers realize. Maybe they ran out of money. Maybe the lead designer quit half way into the project. Maybe they were experimenting with some really new concepts that ended up failing and had to be cut from the game after years of development. Who knows what the problems were that they had.
And, as harsh as it sounds, we the consumers don't care. We just want the end product to be bigger and better than anything we've seen before. But even the top designers, the top design houses, the biggest names in the industry have all turned out some duds. It's not always a lack of effort (although that will certainly kill any project).
Granted, I don't personally know anyone on the development team, so I can't speak about their personal sacrifices. I just know that things don't always reveal the amount of effort that went into creating them.

believetheLie
26th Jun 2003, 04:28
I just beat the game and now that I have it is time to vent. When MGS2 came out, there were none of the glitches this game has. To wait this long only to have the number of glitches this game has (levitating objects and slowdown) is unacceptable. I am a huge Tomb Raider fan having played all the games through several times. I was pleased with the graphics (while standing still anyway). The story was good and I liked the stamina upgrades. The game was of decent length, although I would have liked about 50 hours more. Without the grapical glitches the game would have been a 10. Instead it is a 7.

One thing I would like to say on a personal level, I don't mind the lack of combat...I have MGS and GTA:VC to play shoot-em up. I like the puzzle solving mixed with the "exotic locales" AOD could have used some more puzzles.

I have been reading other forums and posts and reviews and most are not good. As a subscriber to Playstation Mag, I hoped that eidos would make a game good enough to quell the solid-snake lovers at their editing office.....sorry to say they failed.

The game may have been delayed too long but in order to make a better product, eidos should have made sure it was better than this. Set a date and deliver. If you can't meet the deadline then say postponed indefinitely. Don't delay it 10 times only to come out with a game this glitchy. I would have gladly waited till christmas to get this game if it was cleaned up.

chemistry_boy
26th Jun 2003, 13:23
The slowdown u all keep ranting about is not a bug.
Since the game was coded in the uk, the slowdown is a result of a poor PAL to NTSC conversion.

After having seen a playable PAL code of the first level ( training level ) i can conferm there in NO slowdown on the roof section and the game runs at 60 fps constantly!

This is the reason for the delay in the first place, the MD of core wanted the game to run in a frame ( i.e. at 60 fps) and said the game will not be released untill it does.

I have conformation from core that the code from the US version WAS worked on after its release to remove some bugs that were found, and the UK will get an enhanced version of the code.

Although judging by core/eidos's recent deception, it is hard to take the info they give as fact..

Im off 2 play wiv my chemicals now till my UK copy of AOD plops through my letter box....... C Ya!!

pacha75
26th Jun 2003, 15:00
i have played 10 mins of this game and i am going to sell it on ebay before the word gets out that this game sucks!!!!!! you can not control her at all. tombraider for ps1 blows this game away. sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks!!!!!!!!!! i was ripped off..

Iconoclast
26th Jun 2003, 15:49
Is 10 minutes really enough, though? I would have thought 1/2 hour was a more realistic time frame, though of course I have not played it myself yet.

pacha75
26th Jun 2003, 16:02
well, ok, it was more like 2 hours, but i only got about 10 minutes into the game. spent an hour trying to change the controls like the manual says, til my girlfriend finally read the website and told me it's a misprint. total ripoff... :mad:

coyotekid
26th Jun 2003, 19:28
Originally posted by KillahFrog

The Controls

I hate them. Why do I have to push the analog stick twice to get her to run without some sort of slow increase of speed? Is this an attempt at an inertia system? If it is, it is not well done. On top of that, every TR in the past used the system where if you press the stick up... Lara would move forward. Not anymore... Now Lara moves on the screen the direction you point the stick... Well... How bad can that be? It's bad. Especially when the camera angle switch from behind her to somewhere else (like when you enter a room and the camera switches to show you entering the room). Next thing you know, you aren't walking where you thought you were walking. Blah... The PS2 manual also states that you can tap the triangle button to switch between multiple combat targets while you have your weapon out... No you can't. In fact there is a mission that requires you to be able to switch between targets and it took me 2 hours to get past that point because I just had to get lucky by putting my gun away, getting it back out and hoping it picked a different target. Not a good thing.
[/B]

If you leave the camera the way it is, yes you will have a hard time to figure out what direction she's facing and which direction to press in the analog stick, but if you try to move the right analog stick and have it focus behind her, it should be easier, much more. See, if you want to make a run and turn left, say press forward on the left - a, right on the right a to have the camera behind her, and left on the left. Try it, I am so used to that now, and the control doesn't stop me playing AOD, it's still good after all you know :)

fozzy
26th Jun 2003, 19:54
I purchased the game last Saturday and have to somewhat agree. This is my first experience with the analog controller and it is taking a lot of time to get used to it.

However, My first experience with TR was a demo of TRII on Play Station and not knowing anything about the game all those years ago, I think it took me a week just to get through the demo. Once I was used to the game I fell in love with it and have been playing ever since. So I will give this as much time or more and I'm sure in no time the controller will be second nature.

Fozzy

gregorioandador
27th Jun 2003, 07:10
This game absolutely rocks! Who cares about the the occasional slowdowns and other minor glitches. All other TR games had their own glitches.

Took me about three levels to get used to controls...not a problem now. Took me about 12 levels to get used to my first TR game.

I do have things I would like to change but I'll save that for another post.

Thank you EIDOS for giving us another awesome Tomb Raider experience.

daves1138
27th Jun 2003, 14:07
I think a lot of the critisism this game is getting is pretty unfair. OK so the control system is a big change from the other games and takes some getting used to......so what. This isn't some mindless blast everything on screen game. It's a game that is expecting people to put in the time required to play it. Sure I thought the controls sucked at first but by the time you get to the second or third level you have got the hang of them.

There seem to be too many people giving up on this game after "10 mins". If that's as long as your attention holds then the Tomb Raider series really isn't for you.

I'm having just as much fun with AOD as I have had with all the other games.

Is it the perfect game? No

Is it a game you should be selling on Ebay after getting 10 mins into it? Hell no.

BkBaby999
28th Jun 2003, 00:12
the bugs and analog control detract from the gameplay IMO. I expected to curse out of regular frustration and then work until I got through but at least then forward was forward and such. Some people may want and be used to holding 5 buttons at the same time when playing a game but what I like about TR was the you did this and this happened, consistently and now especially since I can't stand analog games and usually don't buy them it's very frustrating to me. Plus my copy was freezing up in the beginning and has many many areas of slowdowns and I am irked that there's no consistency in when you can or cannot climb a gate or can or cannot bust down a door...some things just make no sense and there's still not a lot of increase in interaction in the environment. Playing AOD is not an adventure it's a chore!

And since I'm not an Eidos employee but a mostly unsatisfied customer I'm entitled to my opinion and just expressing it. I'm happy for all of you that are loving the game. I'm obviously not young enough to adapt like most of you players :D

ukdante
28th Jun 2003, 14:57
I'm just wondering how you'd all react if a CD you'd been waiting for for absolute months skipped tracks, or sections of tracks, from brand new out of the box condition? Or a DVD that did the same, or that had digital breakdown in certain spots, spots that you were really enjoying until that happened...or a menu that was impossible to use...Because that to me is what we're talking about when we come to a flawed control sytem, or glitches that throw up distractions from the gameplay, or slowdown in frame rate....and all 3 things in the same game. We shouldn't have to put up with stuff like that in ANYTHING, but especially in something that is meant to be fun, and that is impossible to rectify at a later date.

Do we pat the guys on the head who've created a game this buggy and this flawed, and say 'there there, you tried your best, you need to feed your families, I'll overlook giving you £40 of my hard earned money for a second rate product'? Or do we pander to the actual fans of the game on this forum, who love the game warts and all, just because they feel outrage when people aren't prepared to accept second best?

No, I think that, after such a long wait, after so much hype, after so much hope that this product was going to fill our recreation time with quality gaming fun, and after spending money that some of us have to earn on something that should have been better, I think people are entitled to a moan, to a voicing of criticism...To a bloody good vent if you like. Especially the poor sods who got the console version, that has as many bugs as a PC beta, but without the compensation of future patches to clean up the numerous bugs.

And the people who can't grant people that liberty to vent spleen at a half baked game, even if the bit that IS baked is actually quite good...well they should go send Core a few envelopes full of money or pledges of undying gratitude, or something, and let the critics have their say without all this pathetic 'control freak' attitude that seems to be accompany the release of every second rate game.

Another game I had hopes for in the beginning...The Daikatana boards were just the same...Initial hope that changed to disbelief, then growing disappointment, then the attempted silencing of dissentors by a few die hards with their heads in the sand...Then universal acceptance that yes, this was indeed a turd of a game....That's how it went on those forums...until they died a death.

snark^
28th Jun 2003, 17:00
A few more reviews have been put up [note all the reviews have been for the PS2 version so far]. Gamers.com sum up the problems in a nice little rant about the second paragraph -- and they even mention a few new ones we haven't had anything posted about here yet.

GamePro: 3/5
http://www.gamepro.com/sony/ps2/games/reviews/29969.shtml

Gamers.com: 3/10
http://www.gamers.com/game/1086415/reviews

Into Liquid Sky: C+
http://www.intoliquidsky.net/site/reviews/tombraider_aod.html

ukdante
28th Jun 2003, 18:32
3 out of 10? Wow.

Thing is, had OPS2's very negative prose in the written part of their review ended on the last page with a score of 3, instead of the generous 8 they granted it, it would have actually made sense as a piece of criticism. Intead you have them slagging it off for 90% of the review, then making it 'game of the month'.

Hmmm. I'm going to be buying OPS2 in future. Not.

I think we're quite able to read between the lines of crass amateurish (probably bribe-driven) journalism such as that, especially with IGN's 5.3 and Eurogamer's 4 out of 10 to add to that aforementioned 3.

I'm personally waiting for Gamespy to rip it to absolute shreds (they already have indirectly, in their review of the Indiana Jones game coming to PS2), they certainly seem to be one of the few review sources on the WWW to actually call a spade a spade. Them and Gamecritics.

Who needs actual paid-for magazines for reviews now, if OPS2 is going to pull trumped up stunts like that? Unless a demo disc is what you're after I guess.

maniac44
28th Jun 2003, 20:28
Originally posted by midroth
Choose and vote... Your all in all rate...

Where do you vote if you think it's less than OK?

bene1
29th Jun 2003, 04:17
maniac............say it aint so.........
you are of course, kidding...............eh......aren't you?????

JunoJIm
29th Jun 2003, 04:20
Haven't played it yet, so no vote - but Geez - I already miss the "old" TR controls...

Maybe we can get EIDOS to publish some of the custom games that have been made - I think there's a BIG potential market for an anthology of the best custom games...

snark^
29th Jun 2003, 04:24
Originally posted by ukdante
3 out of 10? Wow.

.... [snip] ....

I think we're quite able to read between the lines of crass amateurish (probably bribe-driven) journalism such as that, especially with IGN's 5.3 and Eurogamer's 4 out of 10 to add to that aforementioned 3.

The only one near 100% so far has been the Maxim review and I think it's fairly obvious the guy never even played the game to review it -- just wrote it up based on the promo renders and nicer looking screenshots.

I'm personally waiting for Gamespy to rip it to absolute shreds (they already have indirectly, in their review of the Indiana Jones game coming to PS2), they certainly seem to be one of the few review sources on the WWW to actually call a spade a spade. Them and Gamecritics.

The gamers.com user rating was 7.2 (wildly varying though with the fanboys posting 10s and the bashers giving it 1). ... and it's worth noting the scores given to comparable games too: Gamers.com gave Empirical Indy an 8/10 while their avg. user rating was a lower 6.1 -- in the main the complaints were about same type of relative movement + revolving cam controls that TRAOD has, but at least it wasn't bug ridden. Enter the Matrix was given a 6 and the users rated it higher at 7.9 (fanboys again...).

Alien Impulse
29th Jun 2003, 17:02
Personally I am EXTREMELY DISSAPOINTED in this one, and honestly I'm not hard to please. In longstanding Tomb Raider tradition, the controls are absolutely HORRIBLE. It took me like 10 seconds just to place Lara in front of a ladder! I'm bad, but not that bad. I had REALLY high hopes for this game. I'm a bit taken back that Eidos would put the seal of approval on this game for final release. I think they may be counting on the upcoming movie to move sales along for this, which is truely shameful. The game had incredible potential.....graphics are great, and Lara hasn't looked this good since Angelina Jo Lee shoe-horned into the hot shorts, but for me it's not enough to give this game anything more than a 4. Ya know when you really wanna like a game, but as you play it you're like " you gotta be kidding me"! This is one of those.....to the point of complete anger.
I know that many people may enjoy this game as is, and I'm truly happy for that. I wish I could include myself in that group, but I just feel that this game could have been so much better.

-Jeff

:(

Claus.DuBois
29th Jun 2003, 17:11
Originally posted by snark^
The only one near 100% so far has been the Maxim review and I think it's fairly obvious the guy never even played the game to review it -- just wrote it up based on the promo renders and nicer looking screenshots.

Maxim's should just be ignored alltogether. Maxim is a poorly disquised titty magazine and so anything TR would be a 10 in their book.

Alien Impulse
29th Jun 2003, 19:22
Originally posted by Claus.DuBois
Maxim's should just be ignored alltogether. Maxim is a poorly disquised titty magazine and so anything TR would be a 10 in their book.

I have to agree.....that and the possible fact that Scott Steinberg has never spent more than 5 minutes playing it....can you say payola?

Groove
29th Jun 2003, 21:08
Interesting the poll only rates from *Okay* to 10 out of 10. What happened to 5 and less ?

knightgames
30th Jun 2003, 02:10
Alien Impulse....
You stated the exact way I feel about this game. I WANT to LOVE it. The TR series has been one that I've looked forward to since I read about TR 1 in 1995.... (Yeah I read the original previews of TR 1 in NEXT GENERATION, and was hooked) And each new version has had something different I like about it.
Now, theres a new itineration of the game and I think I can safely assume that WE all looked forward to it. But I think many are sorely dissappointed.
The fact that the manuals weren't corrected to reflect the proper features shows gross negligence. And it has caused me to lose hope that the next version will be any better. (the manual may be a small thing, but it's not like THAT could have been undiscovered and corrected.)
Right now I am fighting the RED GHOST, (I think it's BOAZ) and I really dont feel like continuing. The control/ view interface is infuriatingly frustrating and has sapped any enjoyment I have for this game.
That's too bad cause in a small way I feel like what should have been a fun experience, will turn into a eulogy for a game series I loved to play.

D3v1L80Y
30th Jun 2003, 04:41
I have been playing AOD for a week now. By nothing short of a miracle, I actually managed to get the game to more or less work enough to get myself to the Hall of Seasons, Spirit boss. But this is where it ends. I cannot take another minute of "gameplay" ( and I use the term VERY lightly) I am not going to get into what a total piece of trash this game is, it has already been said by numerous others in this and various other forums.
Yeah, it sucks ..and us PS2 folks won't be able to patch the bugs and other faults that this game is riddled with.
So we all pretty much got shafted on this one.
I feel that since the game released unfinished and since it cannot be patched on a console, the company responsible (EIDOS) for letting this stinker rollout for retail sale release, should NOT just rest on their laurels and rake in the money they have surely already made on this "game".. but rather they should actually FINISH the game and work all the kinks and bugs out of the current version. THEN they should do a recall and let all of us suckers who paid full price for this POS send the one we have back and get a fully working, fully completed FINISHED copy of the game to play, without having to pay anything extra for it.

MomLuvsMuggy
1st Jul 2003, 03:56
I couldn't agree more with D3v1L80Y. I've waited with anticipation for this release, and now I'm so frustrated with the bugs and controls, I can hardly play it. :mad: Why did Eidos/Core release this train wreak? Can anyone tell me, is there any chance we'll get some customer satisfaction?

BTW, I can't bring myself to vote; since "it's ok" is as low as it goes, my vote wouldn't be honest.

PaulDPearl
1st Jul 2003, 04:06
I don't understand how the makers of Tomb Raider thought it would be okay to change the controles but they are seriously risking the Tomb Raider franchise. I'm so pissed that I've organized a small boycott of the movie and any further movies/games until this problem is fixed.

Perhaps you could join me?

I want my money back.

Alien Impulse
1st Jul 2003, 11:05
RENT THIS GAME BEFORE YOU BUY. I have given it a second chance, because again, I really wanna like this game, but I get the feeling I'll be returning it before week's end. My advise to ANYONE who is considering purchasing this game, is to RENT it first.
:mad:

Just as an update, I've continued to play TR-AOD, and as long as you can get by the poor controls, the loading, and the slowdowns, it's not a half bad game.....fairly good actually. So far I haven't experienced the glitches & freezing that others have.

Oh, and Susan, you may very well like this game big time if you're a fan of all the TR games.....I guess I'm just a little bummed over the controls.
;)

susan
1st Jul 2003, 11:12
I know from all the reviews (and what people are saying on this thread) that I really ought to cancel my order of this game. I know in my heart of hearts that this game is not worth buying. But I just can't...I just can't quite believe that Core has made a totally rubbish TR... stupid huh?

So, I'll be buying AoD. Can't promise I'll be the same with TR7 though, and this is where I think Core/Eidos will get payback for the whole sorry mess that has gone on with AoD.

:( :(

daves1138
1st Jul 2003, 15:26
Susan

Don't cancel your order until you have at least rented the game and tried it. Most peoples problem with the game is that they hate the control system. I don't mind the new controls at all. I find them very easy to play with. I'm also not experiencing anything like the number of bugs people seem to be claiming. An ocassional slow down in the graphics (and I do mean occasional) isn't stopping my enjoyment of this game at all.

It's not the best of the Tomb Raider games but I think it's pretty good.

susan
1st Jul 2003, 15:52
Thanks daves1138 for taking the time to tell me that. I'll still be getting AoD because I love TR so much and I have to decide for myself if it's good or not. However, it's nice to hear that someone is enjoying this game (who doesn't sound like a diehard fanboy)...it gives me some faith that I might too.

Cheers! :)

daves1138
1st Jul 2003, 17:06
thank you :)

I hope you do like it as much as me. I loved the feel when you get under the Louve. I liked running around the streets of Paris but it felt more Tomb raider like when you get back into the caves :)

Crosbie
1st Jul 2003, 21:13
Too right, daves. I've just hit that bit and the growing sense of lovely TombRaider magic has blossomed into a must-post flowering of love for TR. :D

Yes, this game has been hurried and is unpolished in parts.

No, the controls don't break the game. Get used to them.

It's gorgeous graphically... whilst still being Tomb Raider. Lara looks grrrreat.

And the more time you give it, the more it grows on you. It's got a journal worth looking at. I feel like I'm sneaking around tensely. I feel like I'm using my brains to solve the puzzles.

The first few levels are the weakest so far, especially the Paris Ghetto. But in a way it helps to build up the story, so when you're raiding, you're raiding for a purpose.

and... it's a damn sight better than Enter the Matrix! :D :D

PaulDPearl
1st Jul 2003, 21:39
I'm sorry if I have a problem with someone saying "get used to them" when talking about the "new" control system for TR. One of the reasons the old TR was so fun to play was the reliablity of the way lara works. Now she is completly unpredictable. You'll never know if, when you push up on the controls, if she'll go forward, backwards, left, right, do a front flip, back flip, side flip or what not. She's useless, it ruins the game and will, as I said before, ruin the franchise.

Susan needs to cancel her purchase and go rent the game. If you like it, you can always go buy it, but chances are, if you played and liked the other TR games, you'll hate this.

The only redeeming quality of this game is the fact that Lara's brests move much more like real breasts, making running up stairs quite fun. That and other graphical improvements are great. The control is enough, however, to ruin the game and make it not worth buying.

I just don't understand WTF they were thinking with changing the controls. I mean... why change them, especially the actions that are the same.. for instance, pulling weapons. Why can't I hit triangle? Why move it to R1? If you're going to move somethingto R1, why not make it the actual Trigger of the selected weapon.. I mean at least that would make a bit of since.. seeing as that would be like pulling a trigger on a gun.. and Walking.. still a button.. it's just moved from R1 to L1... why do that? there were always "upgrades" when new version of TR would come out.. what was wrong with that process?

I am used to the "new" way she works now that I'm playing it, but it's far inferior to the way she moved before. And I won't be purchasing any more TR games or going to the TR movies until they have either refunded my money or changed the game back. I'm sure I'm not alone. If we don't take action to get our game back then they will never change.

Just think.. if they would have left her controls completly alone, this game would be a 10, now it's a 2, at best.

kimnbob
1st Jul 2003, 22:19
Verry Buggy does not run well I have a new p4 3.2 with 2 gigs of memory and a 128 meg nvidia g force 4 a lot of crashes

Omega_Weapon
1st Jul 2003, 23:32
Here's my $0.02:

Story: Excellent, and it's not as far removed from previous TR's as I thought it would be. It didn't take long to figure out who Von Croy's killer was though, so I don't have any clue as to how they'll get two more games out of this story arc.

Graphics;
Excellent for TR, but not extraordinary for a new console game.

Level design;
Excellent. I especially like the way the library was done for some reason.

Game play:
SUCKS! Just what I enjoy is restarting because the slow-response controls ran Lara right off a cliff when I was trying to get her to jump. Also, whoever thought of the timed doors should be strangled to death with Lara's bra because they were never fun in previous TR's and are still not fun. The sneak-attacks don't work too well, and most of the time I tried it, she just stood there until the thug turned around and started shooting.

Mazod
2nd Jul 2003, 01:17
Firstt ime i played i think 5/10 but after i finish cup of levels and get used to controls i think 10/10 !

JunoJIm
2nd Jul 2003, 02:28
Just got the PC version today - love it !!!

No glitches, no probs after 3 hours...

Controls a lot like the "old TR" - don't need the mouse, customized them a little, and like I said in my other post, she looks a lot better:
http://junojim.homestead.com/files/AOD_1.jpg

CECIL
2nd Jul 2003, 02:47
All I got, for my money, is a very white screen.
You can hear her speaking. but no picture, except right at the bottom of the screen.
You see one foot.
You can read not one word of the information. It is just one big blur.

snark^
2nd Jul 2003, 10:59
Five more reviews - still all PS2:

Gamespy: 34%
http://www.gamespy.com/reviews/july03/tombraideraodps2/

Gaming Nexus: 5.3/10
http://www.gamingnexus.com/Review.asp?ID=279

Pop Culture Shock: 6/10
http://www.popcultureshock.com/reviews.php?id=2313

Rottentomatoes.com [PS2]: 20%
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/g/TombRaiderAngelOfDarkness-707847/

ZT Game Domain: 7.4/10
http://www.ztgamedomain.com/view.php?load=arcview&article=196&c=reviews

AnAssassinOfTime
2nd Jul 2003, 14:55
After 3 years of developement, 3 years of hype, and 3 years of promises for revival, to say Eidos could have done much better is, well, the most classic of understatements.

I have been perhaps one of the most adamant Tomb Raider fans. The original sparked a revolution in gaming, and the second, in my opinion, was perhaps the best of the earlier TRs. The third was, well, a less-than-memorable experience, but Last Revelation was actually very, very good, and Chronicles was a decent play.

We've been waiting for a next-gen upgrade of Tomb Raider for 3 years now, and AoD promised to be the long awaited reviving game of the series.

Sadly, while I'm sure the developers worked hard on such a momentuous project, this game falls far, far short.

GRAPHICS

Well, if you take any 1 or 2 minute block from the game, you can't help but appreciate the graphics. We're not talking MGS2 character design, and we certainly aren't looking at FFX quality cinegraphics or pre-rendered backgrounds, but the graphic upgrade is still very impressive. Lara looks better than ever, and the enviornments are, at times, very impressive.

Where the graphics suffer are in glitched framerate problems. The slowdown is absolutely horrendous. While the slow-motion battling with dogs does give a fairly cool Matrix effect, running in slow motion is very tedious. And nothing is more frsutrating than a perfectly timed jump thrown off by slowdown. The graphics just don't run smoothly. It really makes you wonder how the developers at Sqaure can produce a nearly flawless graphic presentation in the much larger world of Final Fantasy.

Some of the lesser-seen problems include, well, physical impossibilities. Walking through walls and falling through falls, or my personal favorite, being shot through a closed door and the pillar that you run behind to hide, really makes this game a bit annoying.

SOUND

Well, when it works, its sweet. Sadly, sometimes the game elects the way of the broken record, or you'll just be shooting and the sound will completely cut out. That makes for an interesting effect. It gets to the point where the glitches almost make this game interesting. Almost.

CONTROL

...It's a pity we can't use curse words in this forum, because with TR in my PS2 and a controller in my hand, I've shouted every curse word in like 3 or 4 different languages. I have never had to manipulate a worse control scheme in my life. The Analog control is just not perfected for Lara. I'm convinced that whether she runs or walks is completely arbitrary. And forget about those tight walking spaces atop ledges. It's a lost cause. The controls scheme is like a mystery. Basically, you press the analog in a random direction and pray it works.

The absence of a reload button (then again, for all I know, it could exist but it just doesn't work) makes things adventurous at times. And why did Eidos switch some of Lara's basic controls around? And why do you sometimes perform hand-to-hand, but other times crouch down with the same button? And why is crouching and crawling darn near impossible?

The addition of a stealth mode is nice, except the enemy AI pretty much knows where you are at all times. But never fear...they can't shoot worth beans. You have a good minute before they actually start hitting you.

If you can master the controls of this game (I think it will take 2 or 3 years)...kudos to you. But I couldn't.

STORY

Neat idea...poor execution. A for effort, though. You know its a little rough when LONG blurbs of monologue are necessary for you to really understand what the big deal is. Basically, there's a killer...and a conspiracy...and the rest of the stuff is pseudo-interesting. I don't know...call me crazy, but I always thought the term "Tomb Raider" was aptly titled for one who raids tombs. Raiding the streets of Paris as a potential serial killer is unique, but for Lara?

And can somebody please tell me how Lara got out of her desert grave, became friends with Von Croy all over again, and started a normal, unadventurous life in France? Ya...that part baffles me.

OVERALL

Disappointment. I mean, when all is said and done, this game isn't as bad as some people say. I mean, rest assured, Shrek and pretty much the entire Batman series are still worse games. But this game falls so short of the hype, and experiences so many glitches that even some of the more simpler games on the market managed to overcome, that I really can't justify spending $50 for it. Sorry, Eidos. Lara is dying, but let's not blame it on her, ok? I mean...it's not her fault that when she runs, her chest still remains completely un-moving.

And oh ya...to counter some of the promotional sale points, the ability to upgrade Lara is nothing special...simply "glorified switch puzzles". And ya, you can talk to characters, but even that has a brief yet annoying loading time. And Lara has a revamped control scheme...it's actually gotten much, much worse.

Sigh. At least the game isn't too long. It's over in about 12 levels. I love the Tomb Raider series, and as a longtime loyal Eidos fan, I think I have a right to be rather hurt by this poor display.

Oh well...Ms. Croft will always be videogaming's favorite heroine. It's just...Eidos must think it's time for her to retire.

Ricer333
2nd Jul 2003, 16:36
I just had to say that I am very impressed, no amply suprised that the polls are as diverse as they are. The two leading percentages are 9/0 and 'it's Okay'. Those are very different. Actually playing the game, and reading all the bug complaints, some that I have really tried not to focus on. Actually, I think if I focused on them anymore, my head would explode. Anyways, I just didn't find the poll to be representative of the complaints/forums that have been posted, that's all.

BTW, I gave it a 'its okay' rating. I think for as many delays and promises, that this TR really needs some debugging. Actually I would like to see Eidos/Core suck this up, update the PS2 game and give us CUSTOMERS the update AT NO COST! Will it happen, probably not, but it should happen.

Okay, off to surf da forums a little more.

-- Ricer333

T_Rex
2nd Jul 2003, 17:49
Originally posted by snark^
Given the reviews so far we ought to be thanking them for the delay because it might mean they're fixing the showstopper bugs (freezes, slowdown) and maybe even the minor glitches (floating Lara, objects) and adding what was supposed to be in (manual aim in sneak mode). .... [[snark^ continues to list links to professional game reviews of AOD]]

Thanks for the links to the professional reviews, snark^.

It really helps to put words to how I personally have been feeling about AOD since I bought it when it first released 2 weeks ago in the States. The horrible control problems, slowdowns, glitches, the cheesy "I feel stronger now" feature, the blinking and dissapearing dead enemies. All that contrast against what the reviews say later on in the game are somewhat made-up for in impressive visuals, environments, etc. It gives me a little hope, that if I can deal through all the problems without wanting to gouge my eyes out, and I try to finish the game that it wont be a complete waste of $50. Just a little hope. But not enough hope that knowing that the Tomb Raider games that we once knew are probably all but dead. :(

Alien Impulse
2nd Jul 2003, 21:51
Wow...."it's OK" is now in the lead! (see poll at top)

SnAcKeR
2nd Jul 2003, 21:59
i posted this in another thread but seeing as this seems to be the official opinions thread i thought i would post it in here also:

firstly, i am an avid pc gamer, i buy most of the latest releases as they become available and have an above average spec pc, so i know my games. i have also played and completed every other tomb raider game since the playstation TR1. the TR games have always been a big favourite of mine, owing to the sense of adventure, the atmosphere, the puzzles, the cut scenes, the cinematic presentation, the ancient tombs, temples, mummies, etc, etc. my favourite was and still is TR4 the last revelation. the whole egypt theme just did it for me.

so now i've finally got my hands on the latest TR game, with naturally high hopes for lara croft's latest big adventure. i read the reviews, took them into consideration but stories of lame controls and dodgy gameplay weren't enough to deter me, being a fan of the previous games, so off i went on the day of release to hand over my cash.........

so far i'm just up to the graveyard. haven't got very far in the game so i can only comment on the experience so far but i can comment on the gameplay, graphics and controls.

i never thought i would be saying this and i really hate myself for it, but if i didn't then i would be simply kidding myself.

THIS GAME IS COMPLETE CR@P

yes, that's right kiddies, eidos have screwed up BIG TIME.

here is a list of what's wrong with the game from someone who is being COMPLETELY HONEST who loved the previous TR games and oh so badly wants to love this one but knows deep down it's just not up to it

a: the graphics. they're not the worst i've ever seen but come on how can anyone give these graphics praise??? have you ever played splinter cell? if not, go and play it and then come back and say the graphics are good....there is no excuse for this sort of cr@p, this is 2003 not 1998. SOME of the graphics so far have been OK but the textures are for the most part AWFUL and really shockingly bad tbh. on a plus note i think lara's graphics are pretty good but that's it. oh and take a look at the sky? wtf is that? i think the sky boxes in TR1 were better than in this!!! FFS.

b: the animation/controls. WTF HAVE THEY DONE? run onto a stair case and try and change direction. are you spinning round in circles? yes, thought so :rolleyes: so i press forward for lara to run forwards....wait for it....there she goes!!! takes her time but gets there eventually. but OMG LOOK! she's now running in slow motion!!! it's like playing max payne in constant bullet time (but the fps counter says 45fps???)!!!! this game is so frusrating to play!!! where's the fluidity from the previous TR games??

btw anyone who thinks that people who moan about the controls are just too stupid to learn how to use them well you're wrong buddy. i've reconfigured them to my own personal preference and although i am now familiar with them, lara just doesn't do what she says on the tin! i have to press the button about 3 times in order to get her to draw her weapon!!! i have to get her to practically stop dead in her tracks in order to take a tight corner otherwise she just runs into the wall and stands still!!! gggrrrrrr

c: weapons. OMG this could be the worst thing about the game for me. i don't know if it gets better later in the game but you can't draw a weapon whilst doing a jump in mid air?!??! surely i must be doing something wrong!!! what happend to being able to pogo around the enemy, staying locked onto them and firing at them being able to put your gun(s) away mid air at your leasure?? doing back flips and jumping off walls??? all i seem to be able to do is run back and forth and fire. if i try to jump and shoot then it all goes t1ts up. i sincerely hope she aquires the skill to do this later in the game or something otherwise i don't know if i'll ever get to the end of the game if she does, then i apologise and please let me know so i can at least look forward to it later.

basically, as you can see, i am one seriously disappointed TR fan. don't get me wrong, i WILL play this game through and i am hoping that it will improve as i progress but right now i'm finding it a real chore to play.

shame on you eidos/core

/edit

forgot to mention,

i have also encountered sound problems in cut scenes (skipping)

strange interference whenever i go into the ghetto.

warped textures during cut scenes.

the cafe owner without a face :/

the FMV needs to have gamma set really low otherwise it looks sh1t, but then the gamma needs to come back up again for the actual game :/

PaulDPearl
2nd Jul 2003, 23:54
Originally posted by SnAcKeR
what happend to being able to pogo around the enemy, staying locked onto them and firing at them being able to put your gun(s) away mid air at your leasure?? doing back flips and jumping off walls??? [/B]

There are other posts about this and apparently, there's an EIDOS rep (or something) replying to that and specifically saying "CORE wanted to make Lara 'MORE REALISTIC.' The days of the superLara are over... no more Running at 60 KPh, no more jumping from more than 20 feet and not hurting and no more hanging for extended periods of time."

Okay.. that's not exactly what they say but it's pretty much what they say. Look around for it if you want but it's BS. She still runs 60MPh and she can still take huge falls and lots of bullets. And what's with the other guy having the Force. Does George Lucas know about this? If we want Realistic, we will play SOCOM: Navy Seals (a great game).

At least you PC players have the possibility of upgrades and patches... I'm stuck with this POS game for life. I can't give it away after anyone plays it for more than two seconds. I will finish this game but it is a CHORE and not a joy. I've decided to get the bloody ending... killing as many as possible. I gotta do something.

P.S. if you have not played SOCOM: Navy Seals I highly suggest that you do. ESPECIALLY if you have HIGH SPEED internet so you can play online. It too has problems, but at least you can control the player without cursing.

SnAcKeR
3rd Jul 2003, 00:03
damn so they really have screwed the tomb raider games up now then :( no more back flipping off walls, whilst pulling out your guns and bouncing around the room shooting stuff? WHY IS THIS GAME EVEN CALLED TOMB RAIDER???

so far this game feels like a cross between resident evil and max payne. FFS. tomb raider was a unique kind of game with it's own unique feel to it. THEY HAVE RUINED IT.

understand this Core/Eidos:

we HAVE resident evil games and we have max payne with max payne 2 coming out in the near future. why the hell would we want tomb raider to suddenly be a concoction of these games? it makes me wonder if any one of these games designers/programmers have ever actually played a video game or know what gamers want. you have no clue. :mad:

TriggerHappy
3rd Jul 2003, 04:11
Three points towards the final score were based upon Lara's breasts. But, they got canceled out by Kurtis.

cardoc
3rd Jul 2003, 04:38
I have had to jump through too many hoops to play this game so far.
1) waited since last fall
2) could not get game to load
3) now cannot save game.

Funny the things I do for Lara.

XanderD2
3rd Jul 2003, 09:48
I've just installed the PC game, no problem with the start-up, no blank screen, movies playing like charm, but the " ' " symbol is replaced by a box in the subtitle text.

I found the "cannot-climb-down-the-ladder" bug, and a strange bug that occured when Lara dropped into the trash container. Well, it seemed that an invisible hand pulled 2-meter long wisps of hair from the top of her head :)

So far these are the only glitches I've found (I enjoyed the bump mapping on the ground). The controls are sluggish, but it takes about 15 minutes to get used to them. The camera sometimes makes its own decisions about where it should go, but so far I can tolerate it. Expect a full review later when I finish it.

For those who may be interested to learn about my config, here you go:

Asus A7V333 motherboard
512 MB PC2700 DDR RAM
Athlon XP 2200+ processor
Chaintech GeForce 4 Ti4800SE 128 MB 8xAGP
On board AC97 audio (I have an SB Live! 5.1 but
for some reason there was a hardware conflict between the sound card and the TV tuner card, so I resorted to using the on-board chip).
Altec Lansing XXXX speakers (I don't know the model number, don't even care).
Adaptec AHA-2940UW SCSI controller
Quantum Atlas V18 WLS SCSI hard drive as primary drive
IBM IC35L080AVVA07 - 80 GB IDE hard drive (I HATE IT!!!)
Yamaha 8824S SCSI CD-RW drive
TEAC CD-552E CD-ROM drive
Enermax 450W power supply
Pinnacle TV PRO TV tuner card
3Com 3C900B NIC for the Terayon cable modem
Windows XP Pro SP1 + all updates installed
DirectX 9.0a

(That's my low-end rig, I have not tested Aod on the high-end config yet.)

krichards
3rd Jul 2003, 12:40
What's the matter with u all.
The game is wonderfull. Have been waiting an age for this, and it arrived yesterday. Spent several hours on it last night. And....
Ok, tis a bit different to control to previous games, but u get used to it.
I love it, and am enjoying the experience totally. It even has the various frustrating "what the f**** do i do now, i have done everything" parts to it, before you realsie that it was staring u in the face all the time.

9/10 for me............

IndyDallasJones
3rd Jul 2003, 14:48
...it's not REAL! It's made by the Machines.

It was originally set to only ONE choice, 10/10 but caused massive system failure & had to be redone at least 6 times, hence the elaborate, benign make-over resulting in high abnormal anomalies but which while able to function, really was for The Machines fancy & actually resulted in a massive lowering of the wattage output by most human pods that came across the pole, eiksnay smeirsnay, aka POLL.

:cool:

SnAcKeR
3rd Jul 2003, 15:58
wow, this game IS wonderful, i am enjoying it so much and it's such a breeze to play.

they even did a good job on lara's sexy legs :rolleyes:

http://www.grayzee.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/images/grrr.jpg

btw i was on full health just before i took this pic. i fell off when trying to climb onto the drain pipe due to the inane controls :mad:

PaulDPearl
3rd Jul 2003, 21:40
I just jumped past some saw thingie and into a ventalation duck and I can stand up in a place I should only be able to crawl... But you're supposed to be in there, so I run down to the end, crouch, jump down and BOOM... cut scene.

It's a dude killing some other dude with some sort of evil force (realistic... isn't it?) and as I start lookin at Lara I notice that, instead of wearing the camouflage pants, she was wearing Classic Lara Croft short shorts and she had her GUNS back. When it went back to gameplay...she was back in the pants.. . . Damn.

I wish I had a TV TUNER card. I would have taken a pic of that 4x4 through my head. That was very realistic. You'll have to search the boards to read about that one.

It's clear that Eidos and Core were asleep at the wheel with this game.

CyclopS
3rd Jul 2003, 23:54
*THe herbalist's Mouth doesn't even move or show!?
*Some Times when i load my games that i saved, it crashes, and gives me an error.
*no shot gun (but its already been posted)
* when she is fighting with her hands, her timing when she hits the guy and the sound isn't on time. she some times don't even hit the person. she is too much of a wet noodle LOL.
pc gamers - hope they fixed what we all are having problems with.

(To the people that are getting problems with extremely slow movement in the game, I had that too, but with trial and error i disabled 'Post Processing'. try that)

CyclopS
4th Jul 2003, 00:02
Originally posted by XanderD2
the " ' " symbol is replaced by a box in the subtitle text.

Same here, Doesn't really bug me either.

My Setup is

Asus p4c800 Deluxe
ATi 9700 pro 128 (with a zalman heat sink, artic silver 2) - tweaked and oclocked vcore and memory
Intel p4 2.4 oclocked 2.89
Maxtor 60 gig ata 133 (option of sata)
samsung 2700 512 ram
hercules xl muse - sound
Sparkle 400 watt psu
Win XP pro

SnAcKeR
4th Jul 2003, 09:46
more bugs to add to the hundreds that have already been found:

*a room in the sewer has the wobbly water affect applied to it, even tho there's no water in it.

* after doing the boxing bit, if you go out of the church and come back in, approach the trainer again which triggers the boxing match again, but it never ends......so you are forced to quite back to windows.

* in the pawn shop, if you don't get out in time after the bomb is triggered, lara screams and falls over dead BEFORE the bomb goes off and the flames kick in. yeah that's realism for ya.

btw i also noticed the herbalist's mouth not moving whereas all the other characters mouths do! wtf is that all about? talk about sloppy!!!!

BkBaby999
4th Jul 2003, 11:27
I feel ya pain. 2 weeks ago when I bought the game and ran home all gleeful and giddy to put it in my PS2 only to find......freezes, bugs, and problems rendering my game unplayable for the first 2 days and then a huge frustrating issue with the controls and the slowdowns, which my game does on a regular minute by minute, and added with the regular game frustration and difficulty....I was very miserable.

I've kept my game though and I still have been playing it. I'm nowhere through to the end...still in the biodome right now and I don't run home or stay up all night to play it like I do with other games I loved and waited for (all my other TR and FF games). But the experience did improve....I sucked it up like everyone was telling me to do and just plodded along playing the game and now I actually have more moments of fun and interesting gameplay within the past week. Maybe I'm just too stubborn to quit, and I really am a big Tomb Raider fan.

Most of us know that this game is not up to the standards wwe are used to and have a lot to adapt to. I've been very honest about my bad experience.....and I've still found myself caught up in the game as it goes along. I don't think I'll be playing it again like I usually do, my feeling is more to say I got through it once. There's a great game underneath all the bugs and craziness that, if Eidos and Core had really put the effort into it, we would have all been amazed. That's why most of us feel very ambivalent.....because we can see what it could have been.

And I wish I didn't want to say this but I will because for the past 2 weeks I was made to feel here that the PC version was going to be so great and that only I had the game from hell that contained many bugs and weird glitches and told that I should just deal with it because the game was so great and wonderful and the controls are easy and nothing was wrong except for a few minor glitches.....people on here really wanted to make other people feel stupid and say that we were complaining over nothing and nothing was wrong except with us, people were being very nasty and rude, so I just have to say.....wow that complaint forum that people wanted to put up for us to separate us....that now is too much work to do because a whole heck of a lot of people see problems with the PS2 and PC versions and have been "complaining" ....:rolleyes: A big fat "I told you so" in a really snide tone of voice goes out to you!

But really the game is not that bad, it's a rental or wait for greatest hits when it's $19.99, it's a good game that got rushed out before its time and it needed some more work. Being a huge TR fan I have forced myself to like it on some level and continue to play it and to see its good points even but my first impression of AoD destroyed some of my innocence and complete love for this game and I don't think I'll just forget that.....and my impression of this forum and some of its members, I don't expect that you'll be able to admit that you were wrong in how you spoke to some people, although I've seen even some discontent from the diehards expressed with the PC version, but the truth is out now and more people have the game and it is what it is.......take it or leave it! If you are a huge TR fan you will find a way to enjoy your game on some personal level that makes you happy and that's all that matters in the long run is how you feel!

WIZZETTE3457
4th Jul 2003, 12:51
For someone who's suppose to be a FAST MOVER and with great agility and skill, Lara moves entirely TOO SLOW and is WEAK. She needs to push/pull things, lift, etc., to break down a door? Come on....get real!

WHere's the TWO GUN HOLSTER? Do we ever get that?

devlin
4th Jul 2003, 12:52
Based purely on those stupid controls 4/10:mad:

BkBaby999
4th Jul 2003, 13:21
here is a list of what's wrong with the game from someone who is being COMPLETELY HONEST who loved the previous TR games and oh so badly wants to love this one but knows deep down it's just not up to it

exactly snacker, that is how I've been feeling the past 2 weeks and I completely agree with everything you have said, and you just keep speaking the truth as you see it (or as some people will say "complain, whine, and grumble" the game is a hot mess but I still love Lara!

What's up with the weapons sometimes you will auto reload and sometimes you are sitting there just clicking away not knowing you were out of ammo and you have to use the ammo and can't reload halfway through (like 007 you can always reload and have full ammo ready) Plus locking on enemies and it won't let go and make you turn around as long as the gun is out, that's not control if all I can do is fire. That really bit, especially when trying to get Brother Obscura. And wierd save/load glitches with guns and health. Plus my game has a ton of slowdown moment and thankfully doesn't crash anymore

I don't know whether to sall it the Angel of Saveness since i have to save every 3 steps just to try and get through the game or the Angel of Buggedness. I'm glad for those people who love it and are having a great time though.

Iconoclast
4th Jul 2003, 13:51
I do hate to sound smug, it will irritate the hell out of you I know, but so far it would appear that these issues are confined to the R1 release. We here in the old world seem to have a release so far that is behaving itself, and I think is very playable. Sorry about that.

SnAcKeR
4th Jul 2003, 14:07
what do you mean by the "R1" release?

Iconoclast
4th Jul 2003, 14:12
Region 1 i.e United States and, occasionally, Canada. Usually applied to DVD releases, I know, but it's quicker than saying all of the previous!

rammingstone
4th Jul 2003, 16:47
I have to say that i am really disappointed with the game:( ...in fact i think it sucks big time.I have been looking forward to playing this game for ever,and now its finally here,i feel i have been totally ripped off.I hate using those bloody sticks :mad: you don't have any control over Lara whatsoever.If i was able to configure the controls,and use the d pad to move her around,then i could put up with the rest of the changes.It almost feels like playing Metal gear,it just aint the same any more.

There should have been a "the game is crap" option in the poll.I for one would have voted for that.

*sorry folks...rant over.....i think i need to take a chill pill and have a lie down now*

zoober11
4th Jul 2003, 16:48
It's a shame that you can't select anything lower than "it's all right". Which clearly it isn't. It's a complete mess.

Useless controls
Poor level design
Rubbish camera angles that don't let you see where you're going
No puzzles just tasks
Terrible French accents
Utterly empty street, no cars no people... nothing
No actual enemy AI at all.
Graphic glitches
Lock Ups
Crashes
Pointless stealth feature that is never needed

And all kind of daft game play faults

Nice to see that the Games Press reviews are beginning to appear and correctly label this game as a total pup.

And even more nice was the fact that I got my money back from a no quibble 10 day money back guarantee.

jinhamasaki
4th Jul 2003, 17:15
I've just played several hours of the game today. I give the game an 8.5/10. I got the PC version btw.

Graphics-
At first, it was horrible, but I changed the settings, and it looked GREAT. Although certainly not revolutionary, its very good. Lara and the environment move at ease, and I blame my computer when it runs a little choppy (very little) when there is fog, rain, lights, and people. The shadow effect needs to be enhanced though, it is not very smooth.

Music -
I think the music is one of the best parts of the game. It is very beautiful, and it is almost like being in a movie! It is a LOT better than the old games with the sudden clanging of drums and violins o.o;.

Controls -
It took me a few minutes to get used to it. The controls probably took off a point from the game. Although not very hard to master, she is slightly unresponsive, but after a while, it went away (maybe it was the computer - I was using the keyboard). I encountered ONE issue with the controls - when I tried to hop to a ledge, Lara decided that she had enough of running and hiding and committed suicide by hopping somewhere else. But, after trying again, it was fine.

Misc -
Not too hard, but creates a very suspensful nature.
The camera is reliable and it is the same as all the other TR games.
I didn't experience any glitches or bugs on my system.
The stealth idea is fun! I like it, unlike the other TRs where the enemy always just pops up, you now have to decide what to do - kill, run, or wait for later.
- The RPGish style is interesting, it reminds me of Parasite Eve in a way.
Very minor bugs (such as the box instead of a '), tne the one incident of suicide Lara.
But it is very addictive! Just like other TRs..

SnAcKeR
4th Jul 2003, 17:43
the louvre galleries level is like a rip off of splinter cell, only with appalling graphics. how lame!!!!

maildeamon
4th Jul 2003, 18:11
the game sucks bigtime i went to the store today (i´m from holland) its finaly out here i´m playing it for half an hour nou ant im returning it to the store !

the controls sucks!! anoloog idea was a bad move !
i want my monny back !!!!!!!!

this is the worst game from the serie !

dont get it !!

CyclopS
4th Jul 2003, 18:19
thats for console. u can't add patches.

97% every game needs patches. and the game just came out. obviously they are reading our posts. and looking into our problems, i hope for the ati fans like the 9700 pro, they make a patch for just radeon, because the game was supported for geforce. couple of my friends bought the game and used the patch and it made their graphics and textures are worse. hah, but fixed the other stuff. I'm kinda just rambling.

BkBaby999
4th Jul 2003, 19:16
whaddaya mean...Janice was out at 6 am bright and early and open for......er, business.....or is it pleasure :D and there was a drug dealer......and some hobos too trying to get some spare change. The streets were teeming with (low)life :D

If I'd lived in France I'd be like WTF??? but in French , ya know!

SnAcKeR
4th Jul 2003, 19:54
i thought the galleries level was the worst so far (along with the parisian ghetto...) dire graphics and far to much like a cheap version of splinter cell to put it bluntly.

BUT.......OMG im actually up to a point in the game where i am quite impressed with the graphics! The archeological dig level looks very nice indeed and the music goes with it very well. it actually feels like a tomb raider game for the first time since i fell out of that window in prague/paris wherever the hell that was :) shame that was about 6 or so levels ago but still......

more levels like this and i may actually end up enjoying the rest of the game. but we shall see.....

http://www.grayzee.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/images/dig.jpg

BkBaby999
4th Jul 2003, 20:02
there are more surprises for you snacker.....some good and some bad, it does get more bearable the more you play, but usually I buy a TR game and then expect to play it again once I kinda know what to expect because then it's not so bad but this one I don't think I can bear to think of starting from the beginning and doing the hall of seasons and the ghost/Br Obscura. I'm hoping the cheat disc will help a lot with frustration and adding excitement.

And sprint jump.....oh my, I'm having a huge fit now that I have to sprint jump.....:mad: :D

SnAcKeR
4th Jul 2003, 20:09
hehehe well im not getting my hopes up for the rest of the game but at least i haven't given up yet!! :)

btw what about the guards in the galleries level??? have the eidos/core people ever heard of AI???? the guards have no AI whatsoever, they are SO easy to kill it's stupid. i don't think it helps that i'm fresh back from completing splinter cell for the second time as it's kind of a hard act to follow. but this game's AI is virtually non-existent!!!

SnAcKeR
4th Jul 2003, 21:26
WOW now i'm feeling better about this game :)

just done the puzzle with the symbols in the dig site which was really cool and classic tomb raider stuff, now i've just entered the tomb of ancients and was completely blown away by it. the camera panned out and swung around just like it should in a tomb raider game, showing me where i need to get to and giving me a hint of the knight/skeleton thing ( whatever that was?) below. :D

why couldn't the game have been like this from the beginning??!! i hope it doesn't start to suck again after these levels :D

http://www.grayzee.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/images/tomb.jpg

PaulDPearl
4th Jul 2003, 22:12
I'm at the Trophie room right now.. and it's not been good at all. But I have the PS2 version and can't change the controls at all and the controls simlply suck. The only controls that are anywhere near tomb raider, are when she's swimming. Other than the lack of flares, that's pretty much the same as the old TR. But just remembering the old flare "trick" really makes me miss the old TR controls again and just pisses me right off. Why would they go from the great innovated controls that they had to the bumbling fumbling, retarted controls that she's got now?

It seems that those who never used the analog controls in the old TR don't seem to understand that they actually could have. I agree, however, they should have left the D pad the same way it was. I don't need to switch my weapons ever and I still haven't figured out if left and right are supposed to do anything.

The great thing about the analog controls in the old TR games was that she could look around while running. When you wanted her to run forward, you knew exactly which way to push the stick.. (up). now she's not looking, she's moving the "camera", and if you want her to move forward, good luck.

And some posters seem to be saying that those of us who don't like the controls can't learn them. We can learn them, they're just no fun. And I've actually seen some posts praise the new controls, which is insane. I think those posters might be the programmers themselves. Unless... maybe it's people who normally just suck at games because they have no grasp of 3D enviroments or never have driven a remote control car (successfully). But now it's really easy for them.. because you just push up if you want her to go towards the top of the screen, push down if you want her to come towards YOU (no matter which direction she's facing).

And I've seen post's about why the slow downs happen. It's because the game was made in Europe. Europe uses the PAL video standard and US uses the NTSC video standard so those in Europe don't have the slow down problems. But tha'ts just another example of Eidos and Core and anyone involved not thinking this game release through. This is the ONLY game I've ever played on any console system that has had any DISPLAY problems. The lack of display problems is the ONLY advantage that console games have over PC games. But the major display problems this game has pale in comparison to the rotten controls.

If they would have left the controls alone, I would be voting 9/10 in thin BS poll. Of course, if they would have left the controls alone, I probably would not be at this website at all; I'd be Raiding it up with my friends, enjoying TR for all it might have been worth. But as it is, I'm going back to SOCOM online to kill some cheaters. I hear that matrix game is pretty cool, maybe I can get a trade in at FUNCOLAND.

SnAcKeR
4th Jul 2003, 23:13
ok this game is just getting better and better for me know. the graphics suddenly go from being really awful to beautiful!!!! i'm in the hall of seasons now and it's amazing!! the heat haze coming off the lava looks so cool and the textures look great!!! did they employ a bunch of trainee n00bs to do the first levels or what? the parisian ghetto looked terrible, why???:confused:

CyclopS
4th Jul 2003, 23:29
made the graphics look worse for me heh. they need to make a ati radeon patch

Starscales
4th Jul 2003, 23:54
So far I really like it! It takes a while for a TR veteran like me to get used to the controls though!

The graphics are the best yet. I have the PC version and notice no slowdown at all.

The sound is good, however it refuses to believe my Creative Audigy card has any EAX capabilities... minor glitch which doesn't really detract from the game.

I've only played the first couple of levels and unless the game gets really bad later on I think I'm going to really enjoy this.

Regards
Starscales

felixthamuss
5th Jul 2003, 07:53
Firstly I would just like to say Thank you to snacker for adding those amazing pics from the game - now I'm fairly hanging to play, the graphics look bloody awesome!!
Just had confirmation that the game will be released in Australia on 17th July (fingers crossed) I cant wait.......so jealous of you other guys that are playing NOW :D

susan
5th Jul 2003, 10:03
Originally posted by PaulDPearl
But just remembering the old flare "trick" really makes me miss the old TR controls again and just pisses me right off. Why would they go from the great innovated controls that they had to the bumbling fumbling, retarted controls that she's got now?

I know I keep repeating myself in different threads on this, but this is exactly what I don't get. I just can't get my head around why they've changed the controls, why they thought these were better... WHO could think that??

It's like they didn't realise they already had the best 3D action/adventure controls. Whatever good game I've played I've nearly always thought....this game is great but it would be just that bit better if it had TR controls....

psiko
5th Jul 2003, 14:16
I simply do not like it. Enterely. I will play this afternoon and I'll spent the next one forcing myself, but then I give up, I lost 50euros.

If they had published a DEMO to be played I wouldn't have bought. They said It was not possible to release a demo, but actually the first part of the game was really perferct as a short demo of all.

devlin
5th Jul 2003, 14:33
CMON put a true poll on here from 10/10 to... really sux... or are you scared:p

DaveJ
5th Jul 2003, 15:44
One or two small hiccups, but I am thoroughly enjoying it.
Controls are a doddle after 5 mins (PC version), love the puzzles and the level design, and the sound and graphics are great.

Pagnell
5th Jul 2003, 22:31
In one word........dire. I have never come accross a more hyped product that has finally been released to be..well...dire. I rented it out on the PS2 from Choices after reading the bad reviews to give it a chance. A waste of £3.75. Anyone who brought this peice of human body waste has my full sympathy.

jso2897
5th Jul 2003, 22:34
Well, I just got it. Because ny PC is marginal (600mhz cpu, 32mb Radeon card, Crystal onboard sound) I was fully prepared for it to not even run. But since the Radeon is TnL compatible, and was running DX9, I decided to chance it. And the game runs fine, and is quite playable. It started out a little slow and jerky, but after about a minute's play it sped up and smoothed out, and afte Lara got her first power-up, she started running at normal speed. The controls need a little getting used to, but seriously folks - compared to "American McGee's Alice" or "Oni" these are relatively simple. I am finding that toggling in and out of walk a lot is needed to optimize control. But I've seen a dozen great games that had worse control issues. And so far, I am VERY happy with the camera. Maybe it's just attuned to my particular sensibilities, but it's the best for me of any TR game so far.
And the graphics are beautiful (at least on my platform), the sound is great, although it's just simple stereo in software mode, and the cutscene specch only stutters if I hit controls while the speaker is still talking. Lara is spectacularly lovely and graceful, her movements hignly stylized and nuanced. The music is great, and the story - well, it's a real story, unlike the plot of most games, which are mostly just series of vignettes.
It's another Tombraider game. An artistic marvel, a bit of a technical challenge, and just unpredictable enough to keep me off balance. And, at least until I get the controls wired and bulk lara up some, it's going to be hard. And that's good. Yesterday I was feeding my TR monkey by playing TR1 in GLIDOS, that program that allows it to run in DX and Glide. And it's beautiful, and spooky, and still the best Tomraider game blah, blah, blah....but it's not hard any more.

Bugaw
6th Jul 2003, 05:59
[QUOTE]Originally posted by zoober11
[B]It's a shame that you can't select anything lower than "it's all right". Which clearly it isn't. It's a complete mess.

Useless controls
Poor level design
Rubbish camera angles that don't let you see where you're going
No puzzles just tasks
Terrible French accents
No actual enemy AI at all.
Graphic glitches
Lock Ups
Crashes
Pointless stealth feature that is never needed

And all kind of daft game play faults

Ditto to this post.
The most annoying thing I think is that there is no free look in the game. It would be nice to look up and down not just left and right.
I've played this for five min. after having to turn my audio performance to basic just to run the game (I have Audigy2 and can't even utillize the EAX features!).
A BIG "F-ing" boo to Eidos for launching this 'piece'.:( :mad:

LoOpY_LaRa
6th Jul 2003, 07:50
Originally posted by Mazod
Firstt ime i played i think 5/10 but after i finish cup of levels and get used to controls i think 10/10 ! bla bla bla... :rolleyes: jus face it da game's cak

daniel
6th Jul 2003, 17:32
Originally posted by PaulDPearl

And I've seen post's about why the slow downs happen. It's because the game was made in Europe. Europe uses the PAL video standard and US uses the NTSC video standard so those in Europe don't have the slow down problems. But tha'ts just another example of Eidos and Core and anyone involved not thinking this game release through. This is the ONLY game I've ever played on any console system that has had any DISPLAY problems. The lack of display problems is the ONLY advantage that console games have over PC games. But the major display problems this game has pale in comparison to the rotten controls.

That´s not right. I live in Germany and have TAOD, too. And what can I say? There are slowdowns that trun the "game" into a picture show. Althoguh I have the PC version I´ve played the PS2 Version in a near Video Game Store and it´s the same- slowdowns and a terrible lack of framerate.
So it has nothing to do with the PAL to NTSC conversion or vice-versa. In Fact it should be better in the USA, because you´ve got the Progressive Scan Mode on your TVs and we here in Europe only have a "60 Hrz" Mode to switch from 50 FPS to 60 FPS. But how could it be of any use if the Framerate´s always between 18-20 FPS?
No, Core did a bad job on both versions-NTSC and PAL.

PaulDPearl
6th Jul 2003, 21:05
Well.. there's no doubt they did a bad job on the game, I was just relaying some info that other posters had written. I've seen a few BS ansewers to our complaints, such as her not being able to flip and shoot at the same time is a result if trying ot make Lara "more realistic".

But of course.. she's the only one in the game that is more realistic because everyone else seems to have a perverted version of The Force.

Mad_Stavros
6th Jul 2003, 22:29
I have had the game for 6 days now on the playstation 2and i think it is one of the best games i have played in a long time.

All be it, at the beginning the controls were very dodgy, (damn those analog sticks) i soon found myself finding them simple and effective, which, lets face it, we all have to do with every game.

The guys at core have done a brilliant job trying to fit so much new material into this game. It was a breathe of fresh air from the same old puzzles, moving this block there blah blah blah, and i like the way the story continues on from the last revelation. (chronicles sucked) :mad:

The addition of the strength adjustment was a nice touch, and the way you gain longer jumps and so forth. (I for one, am glad they kept the swan dive and handstand in. :D )

The begiining is a bit frustrating, with the empty streets, but later when you are actually tomb raiding and blowin stuff up it gets alot more interesting.

Any game i dont complete within the first week deserves my respect. (the damn mutant boaz woman is annoying me at the moment. :mad: , Kurtis is not very menouverable. :( )

Don't judge the game until you've palyed the whole thing.

hope i haven't annoyed anyone here by praising the game. :p

felixthamuss
6th Jul 2003, 23:35
YAY!! Praise - about time!!!

Gives some hope to those of us who haven't got our hands on a copy in a country where it hasn't been released yet. It was starting to get very depressing reading all these negative things about the game.

Lucifer666
7th Jul 2003, 00:36
Surely 1 to 10 should have alest 10 options so that it can be give the low vote that it deserves - I'm not even voting on this poll.

Yet another lacking factor with regards to AOD here and that is one of many.

chemistry_boy
7th Jul 2003, 01:04
I really think people r dissin the game b4 they give it a chance. I think the level design alone deserves the game 2 get at least 7.

Oh, and i have a PAL ps2 copy and didnt have any slowdown at all.

I thoroughly enjoyed the game and think it b 1 if the best PS2 games released 4 a long time

Stop followin the dissers and make up ur own mind.... WEN UV PLAYED THE GAME

BkBaby999
7th Jul 2003, 01:04
I see folk selling their angel of darkness on ebay like mad :D as low as $10..........that's a clue!

GoranAgar
7th Jul 2003, 07:45
Show me one auction where it is sold for $10.

Iamasockpuppet
7th Jul 2003, 08:02
I gave it 8/10. I deducted the 2 pts because of minor irritants, like the fact that it takes about 4 or 5 clicks to exit the game, instead of one 'Are you sure?' click. Also I deducted because the melee combat is lacking, especially compared to Indy Jones: Emperor's Tomb. It would be nice to have Lara pick up a chair and bash someone over the head with it.

The controls don't bug me that much, ever since TR 1 I've been dying because Lara turned slightly at just the wrong moment. :)

Clipping problems? Yup, they've been there since TR 1 also.

It takes a beefy computer to run it properly, but then what new game worth a damn doesn't? After some experimentation, I'm running at 8x6, 4xAA, 8xAF, 32bit everything, shader hardware, refresh 85hz and the graphics just jump out of the screen, it looks so good. FPS is 30-60(using FRAPS to measure it).

bothered
7th Jul 2003, 09:00
I don't know how many out of 10 I'd give it yet, It keeps going down. TR2 was a brilliant game and each TR has got worse since. They improve the graphics at the expence of the game play, Chronicles was crap, The only TR I couldn't be bothered to finish, I was hoping for better this time. She says in the Louvre, "better check the map" It won't let me look at it, The controls are garbage, The thing about TR was the way you could run and leap about at will, No more, Now she's on trancs or something. All the parts where you can't look around are very frustrating, She minces up and down stairs and spins around like shes on casters. I've already lost a save and had to do a chunk again due to the stupid save\load system. I think Eidos should get people who play the games to design them instead of those who just want to win awards for graphics. I'll read the reviews before I rush out to buy another Tomb raider.

bothered.

coyotekid
7th Jul 2003, 09:04
Originally posted by WIZZETTE3457
For someone who's suppose to be a FAST MOVER and with great agility and skill, Lara moves entirely TOO SLOW and is WEAK. She needs to push/pull things, lift, etc., to break down a door? Come on....get real!

WHere's the TWO GUN HOLSTER? Do we ever get that?

You're not there yet, and with that attitude towards the gameplay, You'll never will, c'mon if you play the rest of TR series, you should have enough patient to play and get used to this one, and I know it's pretty much a pain in the ass, but quite interesting and more compromising as you play. Nothing is perfect we all know that.

Josep
7th Jul 2003, 09:23
I have left pass 24 hours after complete the PC version before write my opinion.

I have enjoyed it. There is an important improvement from TR5. The scenarios are now more realistic (not so geometrical) and all graphics are now improved. A few things were better in the past, like the controls fast response. The incredible to me is that after so much delays there are still so many small bugs.

I belive that AOD has more good points that bad ones. I hope that for next release all these small bugs will be complete fixed. Core has improvement oportunities.

phildesign
7th Jul 2003, 11:41
Oh dear oh lord. Eidos have dropped the ball BIG TIME.
They have effectively strangled what little life was left in Ms Croft.
I hope this spells the end of Eidos, I really do. They deserve nothing less for such a monumental error of judgement and completely inept programming.

And we waited HOW long?? All for this pile of doggy-doo???

The very first Tomb Raider game on PS1 just blows this out of the water - THAT'S how bad this is.

Sure, the graphics are pretty but not ground breaking by any standards.

But it's the gameplay that stinks like cheese in a victorian's coffin. It pans out pretty much just like a regular Tomb Raider, except it's almost completely unplayable. (Just ten minutes spent trying to get her to climb a ladder or pull up before the "grab bar" runs out will have you screaming for your money back.) It just begs the question WHY? To die repatedly from badly programmed controls when you know EXACTLY what you're supposed to do, is frankly unforgiveable.
"Yeah, but at least have 3 different control options" I hear you say. Oh no you don't sunshine. A feature stripped from the game in the rush to get it out ("Rush? What Rush???!") and yet the manual still claims the one feature that MIGHT'VE saved this from being utter poo-chunks.

The multiple-choice conversations look like something from a mid-eighties adventure game, and if this is one of the things they spent ages on, they really shouldnt have bothered.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not be tempted to buy this just because you're a hardcore fan - rent first to see if you can get through half an hour without either: a)slitting your wrists or b)get your coat on and look up eidos' address in phone book.

Conclusion? Rushed, glitchy, tired and unoriginal, ridiculously long & frequent loading breaks, appaling 'controls'... what more can I say.... now where did I put that receipt?

Riovanes
7th Jul 2003, 12:49
I've stated something similar in another thread, so I'll keep this brief.

I've been doing a writeup on AoD for a review site I work with, and the phrase "try before you buy" cannot be stressed strongly enough.

As with any series, if you're a dedicated fan, you may want to purchase this game for its collection value alone - but if you're new to TR, or not sure if you're a Lara-holic or not yet, then you'd be doing yourself a favor to rent this one before you plop the change to take it home for good.

I won't get into the entire review here, but let me give you my ending line, which I think fairly sums up my experience with the game.

"As with any game, it doesn't matter how pretty it is - if I can't play it without wanting to crack the controller in half from sheer frustration with terrible mechanics, then all the eye candy in the world doesn't mean a thing."

BTW, if anyone feels a need to ask, I played and re-played the game a solid 15 hours before writing the review, and to that end, I feel I've given it a fair chance. Also, I freely admit that I am not a Lara fan in the slightest, but I do try to be impartial - perhaps I was successful, perhaps not. When the review's ready, I'll let you know - unless one of my coworkers does a better job. *chuckles*

BAH!!!

BkBaby999
7th Jul 2003, 12:54
Straight off ebay.....but if you think I'm making it up, go check it out for yourself www.ebay.com .............

Tomb Raider: The Angel Of Darkness *NEW*MINT*
$20.00

1d 09h 07m

Tomb Raider : Angel of Darkness PSX2
$9.99

1d 09h 12m

Show me one auction where it is sold for $10. :rolleyes: thank you and happy auctioning.

GoranAgar
7th Jul 2003, 13:16
Post the links once they ended. ;)

BkBaby999
7th Jul 2003, 13:31
oh aye aye sir *salutes* , so far average price/quote is about $30-$35, most people don't want to take that huge of a loss yet.

(but trust me if I see AoD start at $10 or $20 and sell for $100 or more I'll be slapping my game on ebay too and I don't even shop or browse there)

jso2897
8th Jul 2003, 02:51
I just don't know. I got the PC version, and I'm happy. But my PC is closer to the minimum than the recommended specs, and that's been the case with all the TR games I've played, and in my opinion they're pretty forgiving in that regard. But it seems like maybe the decision to go for the PS2 was a mistake - a lot of the console players seem unhappy. I'm not blaming the PS2 - SONY publishes it's specs, and if CORE tried to shove too much game into it, it's not SONY's fault.

felixthamuss
8th Jul 2003, 04:00
Seems to me that its only the US version of PS2...........don't see many complaints from people in UK etc on PS2. Will let you know after saturday when it's released here in Australia what it's like on PS2.

susan
8th Jul 2003, 09:29
Seems to me that its only the US version of PS2...........don't see many complaints from people in UK etc on PS2

Sorry, but have to say the UK PS2 version aint that hot either. The controls are just as messed up as the US version.

And, even though I'm not really that far into the game, I've found lots of bugs too. Personally these things don't bother me that much - I can ignore the odd blip, which is how I see them.

On the other hand, I find it impossible to ignore just how rubbish the PS2 controls are. I don't know whether you can felixthamuss, but if I were you I'd get the PC version - it's the PC people who don't seem to be complaining as much as the PS2-ers.

But it seems like maybe the decision to go for the PS2 was a mistake - a lot of the console players seem unhappy.

I think there might be something in what you say jso2897. However, the main problem with the PS2 is the controls and they didn't need to put the controls this way just because it was PS2.

On the other hand, the game is constantly loading as you move around (supposedly) large areas.... It's a minor irritant but it would still affect engrossing game-play, (if I could get into it in the first place...) I suppose this might be a PS2 memory thing. If it is then they need to move the game to a system that can handle it....like the Xbox, I guess....did I just say that?!!! :D

felixthamuss
8th Jul 2003, 10:23
Thanks Susan,
We have one shop here that will refund if you don't like it in 7 days - if all does not go well - then I'll have to wait until the 30th for the PC version.:)

bothered
8th Jul 2003, 11:09
I posted before but, I'm from the UK and have the PC version. Don't see the point in play station.
As I said earlier, What made TR fun to play was the puzzles, The idea of traveling the world to find objects, The way Lara could run jump and climb like a pro, The inventory system, the weapons, The amount of 'badies'. All these things were perfect in TR2 and got worse in every game since. Now they have crippled Lara and the game but made the graphics better.
Eidos, Listen, We don't care if she's more realistic, It's a computer game, Put the fun back or Lara will go the way of the Bay city rollers. I see it like this-
TR1- Never played it.
TR2- Superb game, Everything I want in a game.
TR3-Where's all the badies gone? Good game, Better graphics.
TR4-Are there any badies? Confusing level switching FMVs wont play, Not bad game.
TR5-Like a compilation album,, No continuity between levels, I couldn't be bothered finishing this one.
AOD- Nice graphics, Nothing else. See above, The list goes on.
One other thing Eidos, Here's an idea,If you get people to test these games before you release them use people who actually play computer games, AND LISTEN TO THEM.

bothered.

ooleedaviesoo
8th Jul 2003, 11:19
Try Before you Buy

You cant rent PC Games and i dont have a PS2 so you cant try it out!!

i am i big tomb raider fan with the first 5 tomb raiders got them all on PSX and even got 3 and 4 on PC even know i got them on PSX aswell... I went out and brought Tomb Raider 6 got it home installed it and couldn't even play it because my grafix card is out of date.... they should have made it like tomb raider 4 thats works fine even know i needed to download a tomb4.exe patch to play it because it wont play on PC the point is that i think the grafx are qwite great on tomb raider 4 and they shouldn't of updated 6 so much because now i cant play it [note] didnt know how other tomb raider games handled on PC because i got them on PSX i like the PS Joypad's Better ----- Hope this makes sense,, i had to take my tomb raider 6 back because it doesnt work because my system and grafix card isent good enough for this game

Mercian
8th Jul 2003, 16:50
What if you don't even think the games ok, and just think that its full of bugs and control issues..???.....How do i vote then???:p

owen10
9th Jul 2003, 01:31
As I continue to say, the controls are absolutely fine. I think gamers are getting weaker or something. They're tricky at first, especially for TR vets, but within an hour they're second nature.

The ability to simply run in any direction with the analogue stick is a great improvement, that negates rolling and reverse somersaults to change direction. The jumping is less rigid and grid-like, enabling more spontaneous action without preperation. Large jumps simply require you to run in the required direction and jump near the edge. The perspective sensitive controls are definitely a step in the right direction, one that is being unfairly criticised. The old Resi-style controls are dated and monotonous. Even the bloody walk mode is an improvement.

So WHY all the complaints?

Riovanes
9th Jul 2003, 06:49
I think the complaints have more to do with the inaccuracy of the controls than anything else.

I'm speaking from having played the PS2 US release, so perhaps I'm not spot-on about other versions, but in the copy I played, I had a hard time making Lara move accurately. As in she would zag when she should've zigged, suddenly change direction when I wanted her running in a straight line, and occasionally suffer severe clipping problems.

Now, you could put it down to the fact that I suck - but since I've been playing games for 17 years now, and doing so obsessively, I might add, I'd like to think that's NOT the case.;) Accuracy of control is extremely important - especially in a game with the nature of TR - it doesn't detract from the realism of the game at all to have your character respond instantly and accurately to commands you give through the controller - and in games like these, it's a necessity.

That's why the complaints, as far as I can see. The controls themselves weren't difficult - just unreliable in terms of their effects.

BAH!!!

XanderD2
9th Jul 2003, 08:43
Originally posted by owen10
As I continue to say, the controls are absolutely fine. I think gamers are getting weaker or something. They're tricky at first, especially for TR vets, but within an hour they're second nature.

The ability to simply run in any direction with the analogue stick is a great improvement, that negates rolling and reverse somersaults to change direction. The jumping is less rigid and grid-like, enabling more spontaneous action without preperation. Large jumps simply require you to run in the required direction and jump near the edge. The perspective sensitive controls are definitely a step in the right direction, one that is being unfairly criticised. The old Resi-style controls are dated and monotonous. Even the bloody walk mode is an improvement.

So WHY all the complaints?

Because the controls are sluggish and unreliable, at least on the PC. I press the forward button to make Lara run, but she starts to walk instead. Valuable time is wasted until Lara notices that 'Gee, I have to run' and 'swings' into action. I press the 'Hop' combination and she veers either left or right, and falls to her death. Auto targeting is a tankerload of dung. Her moves are beautiful, but it seems that she opted for the Microsoft way of doing things as I can imagine an invisible dialogue window asking me 'Are you sure that you want me to run?'

susan
9th Jul 2003, 09:51
Wow! I'm always amazed when I hear people say they prefer the new controls....:confused:

IMO, anything you can do with these controls you could do better with the old ones. These controls are OK only in large open spaces where Lara doesn't need to do anything other than run around.

Anything that requires tight control over Lara - ie, exploring around tricky areas (in other words TR-style gameplay) - they're not as good as the old ones. I think they'd have been better off keeping the precise control of the D-pad and having controls that are up = Lara forward, down = Lara jumps back.

It's like driving a car - even though automatics are great cars, sometimes it's better to drive a car with a gear-stick (eg, racing-car drivers). Seemingly "easier" controls are not always the best.

On top of this, the PS2 controls are also sluggish and unreliable like Xander says about the PC ones!

BkBaby999
10th Jul 2003, 02:05
It's like driving a car - even though automatics are great cars, sometimes it's better to drive a car with a gear-stick (eg, racing-car drivers). Seemingly "easier" controls are not always the best.

wow I was thinking that earlier today, that my old car was a stick shift and my new car is just like my old car except a few years younger and automatic.....whe I first learned stick shift I thought it was hard because I had only driven automatic but once I learned it, I got used to it and loved it, and now I have automatic again and I can't stand it! And I was thinking how most people swear by automatic but really manual is better for controlling the car!

Anyway :D it probably didn't really relate but it's just strange!

I've played the whole game through, got used to the controls to some degree, learned to control the camera better......and I still dislike the analog....I want the d-pad back because I like it better!

midroth
12th Jul 2003, 02:34
The 'new' controll requires a little bit more felling, after some minutes my thumbs did what I want and so Lara. For me it's now easy and more 'natural'. But this may be a question of your motoric, too.

Btw: If you hold on PS2 the L1 and use L3 (soft), Lara goes backwards, sidewards... Maybe you have to press R3 short before (to bring the cam behind her).

RaiderGirl
12th Jul 2003, 11:17
Whatever! People are always saying this or that 'bout the game!!!
It is great...no, it is PERFECT!!!
Of course, maybe it has some imperfections, but it is nothing out of the ordinary.
Rated 10! IT IS GOOD!
Recomended!!!:) :D ;) :cool:

g3rmz
12th Jul 2003, 12:07
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

This game is bad. It's not even medicore, much less good. Anyone who said it was 10/10 is flat out lying. This game is not 6/10, its not even just "Okay"It's a whole new level of low for Eidos/Core.

This poll is completly bogus.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

sprysiazni
13th Jul 2003, 03:24
i see the poll is fixed,cant go below 6. i give this game a 0. the worst game control i ever seen. no amount of practice will fix clumsy,clunky movement. what do you really think in a free election of this game 0 thru 10. 10 being the best game you ever played. 0 the worst.

Starscales
13th Jul 2003, 05:02
I think it would have been better to have two polls, one for the PC version of the game (which I have and am loving every moment of) and one for the PS2 (and from what I can gather is not good, mostly due to a clumsy control system).

Regards
Starscales

sprysiazni
13th Jul 2003, 05:11
i also have the pc version. as well as tr 1 thru 5. and 400 custom new levels. aod is the worst,clumsey,clunky contol system i ever played.read my other posts on pragers site if interested.my disgust is only with the control and nothing else.if the motion control was like the first 5 tr games it would be at least playable.

felixthamuss
13th Jul 2003, 07:02
I'm totally with Raider Girl on this one - got my game yesterday, at the shopping centre EARLY. Played it till 12 last night and back on it today and I'm loving every minute of it.

I got the PS2 version and are having no problems whatsoever - although I did get a bit pissed at the all the loadings in the Parisian Ghetto.

I did have a few problems with the controls but have them sussed out now - after all the reviews I read about this, it's peoples own opinions and in my case - I love it.

My 13 year old newphew came over and played it today and loves it as well - wants to borrow it when I'm finished, and as far as I know in this day and age - kids are the biggest critics.

I won't give it a 10 (controls) but it rates up there so I'm giving it a 9 - :D

Ming
13th Jul 2003, 16:32
I just finished the game. it isn't that bad after all the bugs and unresposive controls that gets you killed but sad to say it isn't that good to... But I'm sure all you LARA fans would play the game a second time... I know I am.(eventhough the game made me ***** like a real ***** even though I'm a guy)

It's very clear that the game is experimental. we hope that the developers would do better next time.

One thing IS for sure to all us TR fans who has played ALL the TR series. The new controls SUCK!!!! We don't like *****ing about it. But if we just shutup about it is it going to improve??? We have no other way but to ***** about it.

Note:
1. The hop jump sometimes turn by itself.
2. When character gets a gunlock on enemy, control become unresponsive very badly will always move backwards before responding to the actual command.
3. 2 bullets are used even when firing a sigle berrel gun.
4. crashes after loading level.
5. Character sometimes walk before runing.

These are the mojor faults that make the game play bad because it's not so playable. If possible please PATCH.

Mike89
13th Jul 2003, 17:05
The voting results here are just plain weird and shows just how extreme people's opinions are.

I mean all the votes for 10/10, 9/10, and 8/10 are incredible to me.

10/10? Are you f-ing kidding me? These are some guys that are evidently very easily pleased, just plain nuts or stoned, and sure don't seem to be true game players. I bet people would pay good money to have these guys on their voting panels if they were promoting something. Heh!

The 9/10 and 8/10 votes are just about as bad. Cmon guys, that must be some dam good weed you're smoking.

I would give this game either a 4/10 or 5/10 and that's it. Now the game had potential for an 8/10, 9/10, but sure didn't turn out that way because of the gameplay.

sprysiazni
13th Jul 2003, 17:53
i agree 100% with mike89.someone is smoking some great weed.mind passing it around? what the hell,if it makes aod better.

Ming
14th Jul 2003, 02:03
I agree 101% with all those who know for a fact that the new controls suck!!! Geting used to the new controls is no prob, done in less than a minute... But we all know the unresposive slugish and slower movement are the actual challenges in the game... You know if we had the same controls the game would have been completed in three days LOL !!!!

sprysiazni
14th Jul 2003, 02:52
ok, now i got about 10hrs gameplay,my opinion about the controls are the same as the first 5 min.clumsy and sluggish.no way are they anywhere near as good as the 1st 5 games.this is no longer my opinion but absolute fact. i spent most of the time bouncing her around to go where i wanted her to go.when you step backwards 3steps to jump across,most of the time 1step then she turns left or right on her own.with the original 1st 5 you jump back(cant do this no more)press foreward and jump.very easy simple and fun.now its a struggle to move straight without turning.there are many things i dont like,but they are minor things that dont bother me as much as this really awfull motion control,sub standard all the way.i like the game,beautifull graphics,nice music,it has much going for it,except bad control.i dont think you can patch a major thing like this.does anyone know if you can.what i cant figure out is,if 40 or 50 designers worked on aod,why didnt anyone say anything about the awfull controls.or is it the infighting i heard about during development.it would be interesting to know the truth from the people who really made aod,and not the lackey suit and tie boys who run it.

g3rmz
14th Jul 2003, 05:56
Some observations about the controls.

If you tap the sprint key before you start running forward lara beings moving at her running speed instead of slowly walking. This works even before she gets her sprint ability. This is probably just a glitch in the game but I used it a lot with her. This doesnt work with Kurtis though since he has no sprint ability.

Lara jump distance becomes insanely long toward the end of the game because of all the powerups. And more often than not you end up over jumping the target and dying repeatedly because you dont know where you are going to land.

A lot of the time I just ended up using one of the alternative jumps like side jump or backflip since they were more predictable.

In previous games the grid spaces she could jump was fixed and once you got a good feel for the game you would be able to tell whether or not you could make a jump or not. But now its total trial and error if you want to jump forward because they keep changing the rules on you.

I can only imagine the complains the level desigers at Core had when the higher-ups mandated this be added to the game. The levels in this game seem to be proof that the desigers had considerable difficulty deciding how long to make the jumps for her.

I liked how in the previous TR games if you hit "back" once she would take a full gird step backwards at a time instead of inching or walking backwards. If we wanted to walk we would have used the walk feature!

The whole aiming system is nuts now too. Don't even get me started not being able to shoot while jumping, or not having dual pistols. But ontop of those 2 upsetting changes, the way the aim locks on to the target now makes combat completely frustrating and unenjoyable. Every time you pull out your guns they instantly lock on to the nearest target whether you are even facing it or not - and subsequently your controls for moving become totaly hi-jacked. In all other previous TR games, movment during combat was exactly the same as movment while not in combat mode. But in this game its becomes almost impossible to skillfully manuver while your weapon is drawn.

The grip meter (which obviously got put in because someone was playing too much MGS2) seems both totaly unnessasary and illogical. It takes away the fun of just swinging around and exploring how to get from here to there. Now you know its like a timed race ever single time there is a climbable area. You just know that in about every single instance climbing is used the desigers give you just barely enough time to complete the puzzle. This does not make the game any more exciting; It just makes it more predictable and obvious. Neither does it make the game seem more realistic. Having a stamina bar up there in fact make its feel less realistic.

Finiz
14th Jul 2003, 11:38
I expected a bit more, to be honest, but I'm quite satisfied with the result. Too many bugs ? Didn't really notice that. (although apparently some people did :D ) Controls were a bit awkward but I got used to it. Graphics were superb and Lara looks gorgeous :cool:

Only the lack of real 'Tomb'-levels and the stupidity of the guards (The Louvre: one shot = dead + what's the deal with those skeletons/knights at Hall of Seasons, they just stand there and look at you...annoying :))

BkBaby999
14th Jul 2003, 13:18
Every time you pull out your guns they instantly lock on to the nearest target whether you are even facing it or not

....or even if you are 2 rooms away, like in the sanitatrium I pulled out my guns in the room where the Proto got the scientist and Kurtis locked on something but nothing was there :rolleyes: but later I found out it was the oxygen tanks in the fan room...

and in the BioDome with Lara too, took the fun out of figuring out what to do plus you can't look anywhere else so the guard snuck up on me and shot me :mad:

and what was with the "I must waste 3 seconds poisitioning myself in exactly this way before I can do anything" with Kurtis. Lord he was so slow!:mad:

Silvers
14th Jul 2003, 13:43
Never mind physically slow - what about mentally slow - I spent ages shooting the two stages of the boaz thing (and I had to redo about 5 levels to get enough ammo to do it) then in the cut scene he gets stabbed - then (and only then) does he think "Oh hang on haven't I got some sort of mind controlled flying blade that would have meant I could sit quiet over there and had a rest whilst I kill this thing" Boy that would have saved that nasty stinging sensation in his chest.

Mike89
14th Jul 2003, 16:22
So UP YOURS MIKE

Heh heh, that's funny dude, about as funny as you being A TRUE GAME PLAYER, giving this game a 9/10.

As far as my comment of the gameplayer part, it's the only conclusion I can come up with for people who vote like you did.

So sue me as_shole!

I'm going to get a lot of comments for me saying that eh? So where are they hotshot?

I wonder what you'd give a game that really did deserve a 9/10. Probably would be a 15/10.

Lighten up man. It's just my opinion, just like it was your opinion on your reason for scoring as you did (of course the weed and whiskey helps).

BkBaby999
14th Jul 2003, 16:28
Never mind physically slow - what about mentally slow - I spent ages shooting the two stages of the boaz thing (and I had to redo about 5 levels to get enough ammo to do it) then in the cut scene he gets stabbed - then (and only then) does he think "Oh hang on haven't I got some sort of mind controlled flying blade that would have meant I could sit quiet over there and had a rest whilst I kill this thing" Boy that would have saved that nasty stinging sensation in his chest.

i no rite :rolleyes:
lmao-that was slow, I'm like if you just shot the thing all up and it's gotten up twice just why are you turning your back on it again:confused:

"oh yeah my chirugi thingy might work now" lol

Mike89
14th Jul 2003, 22:38
"Year on ya Mike", and "you copt it"? ?????????????????

I have no idea what those phrases meant (and don't know if I want to know). Dude, slow down on that whiskey and weed (or you're going to end up giving this game a 200/10). ;)

Now I could give this game a 9/10. But here is what it would take for me to do that. If you want to take the time to look, check it here. http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=219858#post219858

About 3/4 of the way down. I do not give out a score like that lightly.

felixthamuss
14th Jul 2003, 23:01
Whoops - aussie slang, there's some funny stuff being said in here that I dont understand sometimes either.
"Year on ya mike" - good on you! (For waking me up).
'Copt it' Vented my anger, I'd had a complete $hit of a day. I'm not really into that whiskey & weed, but it sounds good doesn't it? 200/10! Just a wee bit out of control. Maybee I was a bit hasty on my scoring - but what the hell everyone else is giving it a bagging, but I'm not really experiencing any problems with the game that others are.
We've all got our opinions - be a boring old place if we were all the same. Will check out the link.
Thanx:)

Mike89
14th Jul 2003, 23:33
No prob mate!

So you also drink Fosters to chase the whiskey eh? Is that before or after the weed? And is this all before or after you play AOD?

Heh heh.

As far as bashing the game, I'm not doing that. But I am also not giving it a free ride either.

Mark Powell
16th Jul 2003, 15:35
Ok, time for me to air my opinions on TR:TAOD.

Good Points : Graphics were a bit tasty in a few sections, nicely rendered scenery, ace animation and spot effects.

Story wasn't bad, if a little confusing.

The actual tombs (the few that there were) were breathtaking in design. More wanted in the next game!

Analogue control!

Bad Points : I read a review that mentioned the game lasted 60 hours. I think they meant 16...

Analogue control! I didn't like the way it was stuck in a 3D default mode. Why not have a 2D control option, like Silent Hill 3? And why have a button mapped for "walk" when Lara has to walk a few steps before running (sorry, "jogging") anyway? Makes no sense.

The upgrade system was a good idea by why did I have to wait for half a game before Lara could sprint, when she sprinted with no trouble in TR4 & Chronicles? Was she a bit stiff after being entombed in Egypt?

The game was frustratingly linear, so the upgrades had to be gained in order to progress. There were no choices in the paths you could take. Why not have the option of a tricky jumping route (which would need a "stronger" Lara) or a more combat heavy route? Wasted idea there.

Why did Lara put her shades on for all of the FMV but take them off for the actual game?

Why couldn't I have dual pistols? Why oh why oh why?

Why weren't there more adversaries in the tombs?

Why did the first hour or so make me feel like I was playing "Broken Sword"?

Why fill the game with useless artefacts (watch, gun, record etc etc)? Am I supposed to trade them all in for my dual pistols as I've read elsewhere on this board?

Why, as the game progressed, didn't used objects leave my inventory? Why, by the end, did I have five ID cards and all the other crap?

What is the logic behind one of the costume changes? Why did Lara suddenly don her trademark shorts when entering the BioDome? Were they stashed in her backpack?

What was the point of Kurtis??? Plodding movement, only one gun - dammit, only one WEAPON ! Why couldn't we use his glaive?

Since this is an Eidos forum, and assuming the "men in suits" peruse these threads occasionally, can they take note of all the criticisms and address them in the next game?

After waiting years for this game, my interest had all but waned. Having now completed TAOD I sincerely hope Eidos pull their finger out for the next "installment" or I may have to kiss a sad farewell to the Croft franchise.

Mind you, it was ace being Lara again... :D

Mark

Silvers
16th Jul 2003, 15:43
All very good points, however, do I detect a Krull reference - low budget fantasy film - everyone else seems to be referring to the spinny thing as some sort of C...??? blade - I have no idea where the name came from but I never heard it in the game.

I've been referring to it as a glaive and then having to explain myself to everyone!

Mark Powell
16th Jul 2003, 15:47
Kurtis's weapon also bore more than a passing resemblance to the razor-sharp disc that the Predator alien used in Predator 2. The two weapons were worn in the same place as well, slung over the right hip.

And how about a bit of backstory to the guy? "Farsee" ???

Silvers
16th Jul 2003, 15:50
He's a bit odd - given the choice between his "farsee ability" and his ability to destroy doorways by saluting them - which would you go for? Especially when there are baddies about and he's pretty vulnerable when he looks elsewhere!

This may be a bit off topic but using the mindset of previous games - I am sure I would have had control of Lara when she chases Kurtis out of the Louvre. Dead frustrating.

owen10
16th Jul 2003, 16:10
Why is there so much agro in this thread? People are entitled to give the game a high score if they want, y'know.

I would give it 6, on the grounds that I had no problems with the controls and that no major glitches ruined my experience (UK PS2). However, the environments were too linear, the puzzles too simple and the experience too short. Add in abysmal combat and you've got a potentially great game, marred by its execution.

Mark Powell
16th Jul 2003, 16:40
Why is there so much agro in this thread? People are entitled to give the game a high score if they want, y'know.

Of course they are, but when expectations are set so high, and the finished article fails abysmally to live up to those expectations, people are entitled to give the game a slating.

For example, the logic of the Paris section is flawed. I talked to the doorman in the park, went to the nightclub (and what a genuinely fantastic set piece that was) got his box and got the password for the gate.

After that I decided to visit Cafe Rouge but the game behaved as if I'd already been there, a fact reflected in the brief and curt exchange between Lara and Pierre.

Logical bugs like this show how under-tested the code was and, given that Tomb Raider is Eidos' flagship franchise, you would have thought that they would have taken more care.

But you're right, everyone is entitled to their opinion. For all the bad things I've said I still enjoyed playing TAOD.

tomb_raiding
16th Jul 2003, 22:49
I agree
But i think Core needed much more time on the Game, I wish Eidos gave them that time :(

Deserteagle_girl
17th Jul 2003, 00:57
I would give Tomb Raider AOD a 8 or a 9.
hmmm.... i will give them a 9, cuz they got Kurtis.
Anyway the graphics were great, even though i had 2 buy a new video card...things i do 4 tr...... :rolleyes:
There are some new moves that i really liked: kickin' and punching, but the best one is the silent neck-breacker move. I just loved it.

OK now here comes the bad part
1st of all the game was delayed 4 some time and the thing is that is way 2 short. I finished it in 8 days and it cost me $150(including the new video card).
The puzzles were REALLY easy. This was more like a tomb raider 2 come-back, with better graphics and new moves, though.

Mark Powell
17th Jul 2003, 10:49
Funny that, on my UK PS2 version, when Lara grabs someone from behind, she drags them to the ground then punches them again. No neck breaking in sight.... or have I missed something?

Silvers
17th Jul 2003, 10:55
Its just called a "neck breaker" move but you are right she just wrestles them to the ground (luck boys) then punches them (oh well c'est la vie - a small price to pay for being manhandled by Lara).

LaraCroft_TombRaider
18th Jul 2003, 03:39
I gave it an eight out of ten.

Overall, this game is really good (U.S.A, PC). It took me a while to get used to the controls, but when i finally got adjusted this game started kicking some major ass! The graphics are WAY better than the previous games, and a lot of other games out on the market. I loved the environments, and the interacting with other characters was cool too. I also liked the upgrade thing, but didn't see it as being really that essential. Kind of pointless.

Now the bad....

Ok, this game has a lot of bugs. The one bug that i utterly HATE is the one where Lara's body starts wigging out. Like her leg stretching to the corner of the screen. It also does that in the cutscenes, and i just hate it. Then there is the bug, well not really a bug, but the switching of costumes and the sunglasses thing. I don't know what happened there, but that was an obvious mistake that should have been fixed. It kind of ruins the whole Tomb Raider experience. Well, that's my input, gotta run!

sprysiazni
18th Jul 2003, 04:35
i have some food for thought.to everyone who thinks more time would produce a better product. did you know that you can build a helicopter,fighter aircraft,and tanks in less time that was spent on aod. if these boys would party less and work 40 hrs a week,this would of been done in 15 months.lets get real,its a hobby job to these people,let them try some real work for half the pay.youll see when reality sets in,how fast quality work comes about.

Ming
18th Jul 2003, 13:03
Theres this bug about LARA's hop jump that turns randomly left or rigth when you use it... It will happen only if you hold down the "shift" button and press jump... If you jump forward THEN press "shift" LARA will do the hop jump properly.

Say, anybody knows where to get LARA's dual guns??? This is the second time I'm playing and still can't find it!!!:rolleyes:

ok, so if the TR crew was slacking on the development of the game are they gona do better next time or are they still gona take us forgranted cause they know we love LARA.

LuxAngel
18th Jul 2003, 14:16
Originally posted by g3rmz
...If you tap the sprint key before you start running forward lara beings moving at her running speed instead of slowly walking. This works even before she gets her sprint ability...

...The grip meter (which obviously got put in because someone was playing too much MGS2) seems both totaly unnessasary and illogical. It takes away the fun of just swinging around and exploring how to get from here to there. Now you know its like a timed race ever single time there is a climbable area. You just know that in about every single instance climbing is used the desigers give you just barely enough time to complete the puzzle. This does not make the game any more exciting; It just makes it more predictable and obvious...

First of all, I wish to thank you for the tip about the sprint button. That whole take-2-steps-first-before-running method drove me bananas!!:mad: RUN, darnit, RUN!!!

Secondly, THANK YOU for saying so elegantly and concisely what has been torturing me in this game. I swear, the programmers must have 'fixed' this one thing in my copy of AoD, in the Aquatic Research level:

When Lara has to climb a pipe, (right after she has moved the container with the bloody meat in it), she is supposed to continue up another pipe that is slightly to her right, and above. Lara then is supposed to continue up as high as she can, and then catch the edge of something jutting out to her left. THEN, she has to continue shimmying to the left, to drop onto a platform. Well, in my game, Lara stops on the pipe in this one spot. Ev....ery... Time....ARGGHH! There is nothing obstructing her path, I checked & rechecked. No ledge, groove, or anything. So then, I have to 'bump' the analog stick up again for her to continue, and you know what? It robs her of that one second she needed to make it to that darn platform. After about 17 million reloads, she'll just make it to the platform. This 'timed' aspect alone is ridiculous.

It also reeks of inconsistency, because, in terms of Lara's programmed standing jump height, Lara is well able to jump up to the 2nd pipe; given her 'grab' ability, she should be able to securely hang from it, completely bypassing the unnecessary climb from pipe #1. But, NOOOooo, she won't grab it at all. It's like the programmers said, "Okay, children, we need to justify the use of this hang meter, so we can't allow you to use your brain and find alternate methods, rendering the meter pointless."

But, WHYyyy??? Why must every climb have this timed nuisance? The irony is, they programmed so many climbable textures into the game, but detract from our ability to fully appreciate the possibilities because Lara will plummet to her death if we don't get the heck out of there!

Ming
19th Jul 2003, 04:21
Yeah!!! What's with these restaightions with the game? Don't they remember the reviews of all the previes games of the TR series? Of how great it is to be free to do this and that...?

Well at least there is still a good bug you can exploit!!! In the Fortress where you have to figure how to move the three block to clibe this pipe over the fence... Yeah you don't have to figure the puzzle you can still pull the blocks half way through and stand on it to go on pulling/pushing the other blocks above the half way placed blocks. HAH !!! so hows that for tryin to make us go by the rules:p

I still can't find LARA's dual guns. And Whats Von Croy's walking stick for??? And what this gaurd's maintaineces key for??? DUDE!!! its like the game isn't finished yet.:confused:

LuxAngel
19th Jul 2003, 14:12
Originally posted by Ming
...I still can't find LARA's dual guns. And Whats Von Croy's walking stick for??? And what this gaurd's maintaineces key for??? DUDE!!! its like the game isn't finished yet...

As for the walking stick:
It had no purpose, other than to trigger the entrance of the "cleaner". I kept thinking something was hidden in the cane, a huge clue, or the key to the ending. LOL

As for the dual pistols:

According to all posts & polls I've read, they don't exist. Well, at least not with purpose and ability to be used. Some have mentioned seeing them appear in her holsters, & I've read posts about 'ghost guns', etc. But, these guns 'disappear' later for those who witnessed them, and most have reported an inability to use them anyway.

That would be like having, say, 2,000 medpacks, but you can only use 1. What's the point?

felixthamuss
20th Jul 2003, 05:57
I've probably put this in the wrong place, but seems as there's postings about the walking stick (which I couldn't see why we have to carry it around either). But what happened to that damn painting that I spent half an hour trying/dying to get - did that rat Kurtis take it when he took the guns.

:confused:

XanderD2
20th Jul 2003, 11:32
Assuming (benevolently) that the "it's OK" votes mean an average score of 4, Angel of Darkness is now rated 6.97/10 after 330 votes.

Ming
21st Jul 2003, 00:48
HEY !!! Thats false advertising!!! Those short preview clips show LARA in the gallery shooting her dual guns! Oh man.... More and more disapointment as we compare info...

By the way the taking Von Croy's gun trigers the cleaner in the PC version.

Oh yeah. I'm sure all of you guys finished the game with a whole load of ammo unused huh???

GoranAgar
21st Jul 2003, 11:28
Originally posted by Ming
By the way the taking Von Croy's gun trigers the cleaner in the PC version.
Not in my PC Version. It is the walking stick that triggers him.

LuxAngel
21st Jul 2003, 17:00
Originally posted by Silvers
All very good points, however, do I detect a Krull reference - low budget fantasy film - everyone else seems to be referring to the spinny thing as some sort of C...??? blade -

Hey, cool, someone else noticed that too!:) Before the game was released, I checked out the available screenshots and downloaded some Kurtis pics. I renamed them "KurtKrull". LOL:p The other day, "Krull" was aired, and I compared Kurtis' weapon with the one in the movie. The spinning, the return to its 'master', the mystical nature of Kurtis' weapon, the design...all of it was a clear rip-off of the Krull. Hmm...

...I have no idea where the name came from but I never heard it in the game.

I never heard it named in the game, either, and I hesitate to even try to remember what it's called...an enthusiast might take off my head if I refer to it incorrectly. Disk of Death suits me fine.:p

Mr. Croft
22nd Jul 2003, 08:29
10/10!!!:D 10/10!!!:D

Jimbo
22nd Jul 2003, 13:02
I preordered AOD at the end of last year because it didn't really matter to me what the game reviews were - I simply had to have it! Now it's been released most of the reviews i've read have seriously slagged the game off rather too harshly IMO. The controls aren't THAT bad once you get used to them and neither is the game itself. The only critision I would have regarding the controls is (as someone else has pointed out) you can no longer jump with your guns drawn. I have yet to discover whether if you try and shoot whilst jumping that this would be possible. The graphics are pretty good too. This game does seem to be a bit easier than previous ones but that isn't such a bad thing either. I don't partiularly like running around in circles getting frustrated. I haven't experienced any 'freezing' or slow down whatsoever (UK PAL). I think the basic problem is that GTAIII and Vice City had such an impact on people and the way we play games that Lara seems slow and inflexible by comparison. The stakes have been raised. I personally love both the GTAs on PS2 but feel there is still room for Lara. It's just a different pace of game and not really that dissimilar from the PS1 TRs. I would give the game a 8/10. Perhaps Lara is a lot of peoples favourite game to slag off for some reason. I don't know. I've also just purchased Splinter Cell and the controls are a bit odd to get used to on that as well but you don't read reviews from hundreds of people slagging that one off...

Hotei
22nd Jul 2003, 20:55
Originally posted by daves1138
I think a lot of the critisism this game is getting is pretty unfair. OK so the control system is a big change from the other games and takes some getting used to......so what....There seem to be too many people giving up on this game after "10 mins". If that's as long as your attention holds then the Tomb Raider series really isn't for you.

I played AoD to the point of "Boaz Returns" with lockups, drops through maps, game-crashing errors, annoying camera angles, and silly model mutations. I could play through those without too much grousing. Afterall, eventually Eidos might release a patch that'll fix those things. No, what really bugs me heaps about this game is the dodgy controls. It's annoying in noncombat situations, but positively frustrating as hell in a closed arena such as "Boaz Returns". Why must we get stuck with Kurtis Trent when push comes to shove? He's positively weak. His one redeeming quality is his Magical Frisbee of Death(TM) and even that can't be used outside FMV. He's a paper tiger.

Is it the perfect game? No

Is it a game you should be selling on Ebay after getting 10 mins into it? Hell no. You're absolutely right. I think one should return it to the store before the package is opened.

I played games 1-4 and loved them. They had their challenging moments, but all were fun. AoD is a fresh steaming pile wrapped in pretty paper and ribbons. I give it a 3/10 for graphics and story.

Ming
23rd Jul 2003, 03:27
Look!!! If the game was not so buggy and annoying to control the characters NOT BECAUSE THE CONTROL TAKES GETTING USED TO what kinda BS is that!?!?! All it takes is for you to try all the buttons to know what is what and configure if to your prefference that's all!!! What with this BS about "We just need to get use to the controls"??? That is a whole load of BS!!! Nobody wrote in conplaining about the controls!!! They wrote in complaining about the character's slow and unreponsive controls that put a major pain in the game play!!!!

We all still completed it anyway. Cause we Love LARA CROFT. The fact is: We don't like being taken for granted!!! The developers know we'll buy the Tomb Raider series and we feel that they have slacked us off by producing a second rate game!!!

So please nomore of that "get used to the controls" BS!!! I'm pretty damn sure ALL us TR followers had no trouble adapting to the controls at all none!!! But the unresponsive movement of the characters really caused a major let down. So next time before you say it's a great game... finish it 1st!!!

We don't care for rating the ratings. As long as LARA is Still the Tomb Raider.

felixthamuss
23rd Jul 2003, 04:23
Someone should close this thread down. TOOO MUCH AGRO.

Bottom line is - If its Lara Croft -Tomb Raider were going to play it - REGARDLESS................and then spend the next week/months b*tching about it on forums about what it has or hasn't got, and what it does and doesn't do.

NewToThis!
23rd Jul 2003, 20:38
i thought the game was quite good. because i havent played all of it yet and havent played most of the others, i cant really compare it, but i knew it was better on playstation. the glitches do annoy ma alot though.
but the story line and graphics ( when they're not all over the place) are brilliant. i like that she is up with the times more and uses computers and people for help.
although i do miss the wolves and mummies, bears and less confusing hidden places containing weapons and health.

the big miss is not being able to train or go in her house at all in this one!!!!!
i miss locking her butler in the ice room!!!!

love me x x x x

p.s im only in the Tomb of Ancients, does anyone know if she gets to ride a quad bike or car later on in the game??????:D

sprysiazni
29th Jul 2003, 01:30
the next-generation debut of videogaming's biggest icon, Angel of Darkness has been hugely anticipated. It is a big disappointment. The controls are so unwieldy that even the most ardent Lara fan will be screaming in frustration, especially since the controls are combined with a schizophrenic camera. But why does controlling our lithe heroine feel like parallel parking a semi-trailer? You are forced to continuously save the game because instant-death drops are frequent. The plot is interesting but the bold innovation that was promised is sadly absent. The adventure is linear and fraught with the same obscure trial-and-error puzzles as its predecessors. One of the few new additions, "upgrading" Lara's strength, is extremely contrived. For instance, early on you have to crowbar a lock off a certain door to give Lara the strength to shimmy further along ledges. Only the presentation is a big improvement, with atmospheric music and impressively detailed locales. this was a review from a paper article from ps2 the same applies to pc version. adrian are you paying attention. do something about the clumsy movement of lara.the magic is gone.if you cant fix it,then get someone who can.

paolo
30th Jul 2003, 08:35
I'm a TR fan too, but I don't give a **** to Eidos programmers' hard work and bla bla bla and bla bla bla
if I'm going to pay 60/70 euros to buy it I want it PERFECT, no slowdowns, no camera issues, no infinity falls, NO BUGS otherwise it's a fake game and I'll feel like I've been stolen
bye

Nerox
1st Aug 2003, 06:27
good concept, dodgy game

sprysiazni
1st Aug 2003, 19:02
yes,good news indeed.as it should be,you do junk,you get fired.i agree the management at core suck.also its good to remember that these people made fat paychecks every week,they didnt work for miniumum wage.when you hire professional talent,you expect professional product.controling lara was like driving a cement truck with four flat tires.if this new outfit doesnt learn to listen to the fan base,it will be another one bites the dust.if we dont get the high precision control of laras movement back as was,tr is dead.are you listening eidos?.also thank you eidos for showing some backbone,frankly I didnt think you had it in ya.you surprised me.now do it again with tr7. best of luck to you.

hagatha
4th Aug 2003, 20:49
The game isn't bad, specifically, but it really doesn't feel like Tomb Raider. The controls ARE clunky, and one of the things I loved about previous games was the fact that over a period of years I became very, very good at playing, which increased my enjoyment. That isn't going to help me here, when Lara climbs over fences and plunges to her death without me directing her to, and when going up or down stairs is an excercise fraught with difficulty because she seems to get dizzy and spins around like a top.

If I had never played TR before I might not be so critical, but after the smooth control of the first generations of the game, this is a step backwards. TR is mainly ABOUT control. The game isn't really all that bad, but it doesn't play like TR should. So I would rate it as a six out of ten.

MrDangerous
6th Aug 2003, 02:10
Seems to me those who love this thing would love anything with a Tomb Raider label on it or Lara Croft in it. I've played all of them, except the Gold versions, and this one is by far the worst, most tedious, of the lot. Whoop dee doo, they amped up the graphics, but its boring as h*ll. A crappy game that looks good is still a crappy game. The more time that passes, the less desire I have to try to keep playing it. Lara has gone from action packed adventurer to a bitter, whining little b*tch whom I don't care for at all. If this is a "new Lara for a new generation" they can have her.

sprysiazni
8th Aug 2003, 01:21
tombraider is an icon.on the same level as superman,star trek tv. and few others,very few others.i understand full well about change and evolution to keep it new and fresh.history has proved (not my opinon)that thinkering with an icon can be disaster.they (dc) changed superman to an energy being to change things after 60 years month after month,dc was running out of ideas what to do with him.the outcry from fans to put it back the way he was,was huge, sales dropped thru the basement.guess what? you bet,they returned him the way he was for 60 years.and sales are up.so what was the problem?they changed it. you take lara croft too far away from her roots,it will crumble.as an icon, tombraider is loved by millions,and no way is it in decline.the love we all have for custom levels prove our devotion to the way it was,and the way it must return to.start with a good story,plan it out with care.good puzzles are important.good guns are inportant.good targetting is,well you know.and yes I would buy tr25 as long as it was done right with the tr4 engine.remember in 1987, when they changed coca cola to new coke?remember that disaster?some people never learn from history,and will only repeat disaster.you cant change an icon,no way.i want to see tombraider evolve within the icon framework,not change it to be like some other game its not.
----------

sprysiazni
8th Aug 2003, 01:40
first person gameplay would kill this game forever.rpg same thing.it reminds me of the 90s adventure games,ok for some,but not for lady croft.the magic for me was tr1,tr2,tr3,tr4.cutscene are good,if done right,not too long.as it could give hints of whats to come,and what to look for.there should be no controlled pathway,like with rpg games with picking silly dialog.no interaction with the keyboard at all,pure gamepad raiding.also I noticed in aod,the stealth mode lara looked like the " she hulk ".only worked in certain areas.in my book stealth means stealth anywhere in the game,all the way thru the game if you want.also sharing the game with trent was awfull,bad idea.it was like playing omikron again,with a different body.i liked omikron,but this is tombraider.

sprysiazni
8th Aug 2003, 01:53
as a wise man once said and i quote " the more they change things,the more they forget the plumming."

scorpio611
10th Aug 2003, 16:16
the previous TR were all quite good for their time but what has happened to AOD. Eidos should realise this is 2003 not 1995 . The game is appaulling. Graphics are atleast 12 months behind any other game I have played ( take a look at Blackhawk Down ) control of the character is very poor .Has eidos not realised that gamepads and joysticks exist for the pc . But then again they can't program keyboard controls to work smoothly so what hope is there. Did they not look at any of the previous titles or did they just think its TR so they will buy it howerver bad it is.

I unfortunatly brought the game without trying a demo version or I would have saved my self £30.00.

very disappionted TR fan:mad: :confused:

jonazo
12th Aug 2003, 16:11
The bottom line seems to be that the end product is disappointing, even though many (and there are VERY many) big fans don't have the heart to say so.

Nothing will take away the historic achievement of TR. The series I imagine has more fans than any other computer game. To try to contribute with some constructive criticism however, I think it is bizarre that Eidos has failed to deliver on the character movement controls - never mind AOD's many other techie "issues" - when you consider that it was they who published Hitman 1 & 2, both of which seem to have made major advances in the genre, albeit in a rather different direction from TR. Is there no sharing or cannibalising of programming techniques between design teams who work for Eidos? Or are they all re-inventing the wheel all the time on each new "engine"? (I'm not sure I'm going to understand the answer to this - the question is rhetorical:cool: )

Anyway, I thought Lara was supposed to be dead? Maybe like action movie heroes these days, she's not allowed to retire til she flops! Having said that, I would be the last person to suggest that they should finally drop Lara - that would be financial suicide, I expect.

sprysiazni
12th Aug 2003, 17:44
jon: good point you got there,half million copies sold and only 400 feedbacks?eidos knew it was no good,but had to put it out or lose big money.the bad game engine was made to order, to fit the ps2,thats what sony wanted.if eidos does not get rid of this awfull game engine,tr7 will be a massive financial loss.adrian are you listening?wake up adrian,if you want to continue living in your mansion,get rid of the game engine,otherwise you may end up flipping hamburgers for minimum wage,serves you right.

illicious
17th Aug 2003, 00:44
OK ive been playing this game for 4 days now and the control is still unbelievably horrid.

Havent got use to it and never will.

Weird slowdowns, bad character decompiling and very akward camera angles.

This isnt tomb raiding anything other than your pockets.

The least they could of done was have the option for the old style control system other than this very bad control system.

I cant say i hate Eidos cus i love the TRs 1 to 5 and the Kain/Reaver games but am very dissapointed with the absolutly horrible controls of the game.

If this ever get re-released with a better or with the old style control system ill will definitly consider buying it again but until then my opinion will not change and im sure the majority of the fans and buyers feel the same way.

PS
This title should of stayed on the PS one.

ironictwist
19th Aug 2003, 21:01
Originally posted by Atreyu
it is fine as it is with auto aim but there should be an option to switch targets. that's all.

Uh… there is… hit square while aiming (i think, or maybe triangle, one of the 2) but i never used it anyway… manual aiming is pretty unnessecary in this kind of game…
BANGBANGBANGBANGBANGBANG… enemy drops dead
BANGBANGBANGBANGBANGBANG… other enemy drops dead
just keep backing up :)

boudin
4th Sep 2003, 06:49
Simply the worst

mikemmx
10th Sep 2003, 04:42
all of the bad stuff i was gonna say was all pointed out by the members here. i just like to say, i like all the previous versions of tomb raider. the amazon, trees, jungle, and egypt(if i spelled it right). i like the feeling of being in the green jungels or the sandy dunes of egypt.

angel of darkness i think is the wost version, i hate it.

SO much guns but not enough targets. there was'nt enough enemys in this version. I have he PC version, superior graphic(with the right video card of course).
ohh yes, wheres my ride? i dint get to drive a car, or some motored vehicle.

the hardest part of the whole game was killing the bug that spits out green stuff, not the last boss... thats strange?

illicious
10th Sep 2003, 05:37
Man i cant believe i would end up hating a TR game since im a huge fan of the series.

This one looks like they tried to make the london TR3 attempt with special control handling to make you feel retarded on purpose.

This has to be the worst game of 2003.
I would rather spend my money watching that suckass Gigly Bendassflic/Jhoe movie.

I would allow all the bugs and glitches but what good is the game if when the camera angle changes so does your current hold of the character?
That makes no sense to do such a thing.

Hope Eidos/core or whoever take note not to bring anymore TRs out unless they are willing to bring back the correct control system into serious check.

At least re-release a updated TR-AOD with the old style control and add more lush acers of land.
Also, there almost an endless amount of ancient and undergroung modern lands you can add to explore.

Leave the spy stuff for solid snake and get lara back in the game.

fneh
11th Sep 2003, 14:41
I thought this game would revive my love for TR. I lost interest towards the end of TR2. I got the others but didn't paly them much. it was basically the same game with slight extras.

So I rented AOD after hearing bad reviews, hoping they were wrong. Of course they were VERY right. I couldn't stand it. the controls were terrible............beyond terrible!!!!!

Cleber
19th Oct 2003, 21:28
For real!
I have seen and played almost all the previous TR's.
This one deserves the highest rating FOR SURE!!!
:)

Sotos
22nd Oct 2003, 13:59
As i said i am dissapointed with these game

-Good Scenario
but
-MANY BUGS :(
-Mediocre Gameplay :(
-Good graphics but i have seen better and with less PC requirements

Score for me with these game until now is

Only 75%

Sorry :(

jso2897
16th Nov 2003, 02:48
I like TRAOD, overall. All TR games have bugs, and as graphics have advanced, bugs have increased. I really like the graphics in TRAOD. the way Lara looks and moves, the environments. That's
mostly what I play for. The bugs haven't effected my game any so far.The control system is fine now that I'm used to it. All in all, it's been a good experience so far.

samisams
16th Nov 2003, 15:20
well, i think you all shuld just give the really nice people at eidos and core a little bit of credit. they worked thir buts off to get it out on time. and that was cos they where in financial dificulties, which i would quite happly come along and help them with, and i have had no problems with the game at all!!!!!!!
if anyone still hasnt bought it, (where have you been?!?!?!) id say, go get one of the earlyer ones, eg TR2 and play through it, THEN get AOD and see if you like it.
i personally enjoyed every bit of it and am waiting with all my hearrt for the next one to come. the sooner the better i say!!!!!!!
any way, im away now to finish it for the 11th time now (not joking!) so, be good and give those nice people that gave us 6 years of absolute pleasure, and stop your moanin!!!!!!!!

sprysiazni
16th Nov 2003, 19:40
ok.its nice to know some people enjoy this game.however,i would take tr2 anyday over aod.tr2 has precision control over lara.aod does not.aod is the most clumsy tr game of them all.the game engine was bought and payed for by sony to fit the other clumsy controled games of the ps2.one person said a few months ago,it plays like a playstation game...CLUMSEY.no way you can do precise jump and grabs.and multiple jumps,forget it.the real challenge to aod is to move her thru the game. IF EIDOS ALLOWS ANOTHER ONE OF THESE STUPID PLAYSTATION GAMES FOR TR7,THEY WILL HAVE A MAJOR FINANCIAL LOSS,THAT THEY MAY NOT RECOVER FROM.THOUSANDS OF HARD CORE RAIDER FANS AGREE ON ONE THING, WE MUST HAVE A PLAYABLE DEMO FOR TR7,OR WE WILL NEVER BUY IT. also they had almost 3 years to make it,i could build an aircraft in that time.since eidos got rid of core,i have mixed feelings about this.what would of been better,eidos should get rid of SONY.thats right,give them back the suitcase of cash,and tell them to go away.find someone else to control.

Mariiia
12th May 2004, 09:46
well, all in all i loved the game. The controlls did frustrate me at first, i reeeeally hated the idea of using that analog stick! but i got used to them, it wasn't a "disaster" as for some people on this board.. Also i had few bugs and they didn't really..well BUG me. I really like the change, i was a bit tired of all that egypt stuff to be honest. In a word- TR new generation is to my liking:)

steve_pollack
25th May 2004, 21:27
1/2 out of 10, it sucks it killed the series and Fear Effect, in other words it has godd graphics, but everything else sucks

Marland
25th Jun 2004, 01:44
A 9 out of 10. Well done. I don't understand the criticism. I finished using a regular PC. Good graphics. The conversations added to the game.

shantal2501
21st Jul 2004, 20:44
I THINK DAVES 1138 IS RIGHT.ALL THIS CRAP ABOUT THE GAME ISN FAIR TO EIDOS.SO IF YOU DONT LIKE DONT MAKE EVERY BODY ELSE HANG THEM SELFES WITH NOVELS OF HOW MUCH YOU HATE IT.AND I DONT THINK THIS GAME IS WORTH PLAYING FOR "10 MIN."AND SELLING IT ON EBAY.

shantal2501
26th Jul 2004, 12:31
you know dangerdrew dosent seem that you feel bad about critizizingthe games cause you wrote an entire novel about how much the sucked