PDA

View Full Version : Evidence of H.P. Love Craft's God Cthulhu

El Arrecho
21st Jun 2003, 18:58
I've post a thread dimilar to this one long before, but now I' ve found new arguments and I want to share it with you all guys (and ladys) and Know what you think.

There I go:

The god Cthulhu was an ancient god who was imprisoned by greatest forces. His "children" are trying to free him. "He sleeps, waiting....".
This guy Cthulu is very alike the ancient god (the squid), he' s kind imprisoned, and he's servants are trying to free him (Mobius).

Well it is my theory, let me Know if I'm not right.

I made a question to Chris in other thread about this, hope I get an answer.

--If you want chek this places and see how similar are the squid a Cthulhu.

http://www.machine9.net/Drawings/Cthulhu.jpg

http://www.nightserpent.com/lovecraft.html

Valaquen_
21st Jun 2003, 19:04
Oh yeah I heard about that guy once when reading all about H.P. Lovecraft, guess it slipped to the back of my mind, I instantly though "Elder God!" when I read bout him though!

Riovanes
21st Jun 2003, 21:06
While I will easily concede the similarities between Cthulu and the Elder God, I would caution you against saying, "H.P. Lovecraft's Cthulu." I realize probably no one else cares about this, but as an English major, I believe it's important to keep credit where credit is due - the concept of Cthulu is actually hundreds of years older than Lovecraft's writing - the evil god actually springs from a much older religion, and Lovecraft just happened to "borrow" him. So yeah, the theory's sound - let's just not credit a single man with the creation of an entire culture, shall we?

Thanks - I know nobody gives a crap about this stuff but me, but thanks for bearing with me all the same.

BAH!!!

Morte
22nd Jun 2003, 01:41
Hmm, one would think that to establish a direct connection between the Cthulhu and concept of an 'evil god(I am assuming you mean the Sumerian mythology)' would be a tad difficult, considering all the dross populating Cthulhu mythos(I am mainly referencing to non-Lovecraft works) and most especially vagueness of certain(often erroneus) associations you are most likely referring to, unless we are speaking in very, very general terms.
Perhaps you do not mean the Sumerian religion here?

But I cannot say for certain, since I am not sure about which religion you speak of.

El Arrecho
22nd Jun 2003, 05:52
Originally posted by Riovanes
While I will easily concede the similarities between Cthulu and the Elder God, I would caution you against saying, "H.P. Lovecraft's Cthulu." I realize probably no one else cares about this, but as an English major, I believe it's important to keep credit where credit is due - the concept of Cthulu is actually hundreds of years older than Lovecraft's writing - the evil god actually springs from a much older religion, and Lovecraft just happened to "borrow" him. So yeah, the theory's sound - let's just not credit a single man with the creation of an entire culture, shall we?

Thanks - I know nobody gives a crap about this stuff but me, but thanks for bearing with me all the same.

BAH!!!

I do care about that kind of stuff, if you have information about the real origin of Cthulu I`ll be glad. I did not know you were an eminence in the topic.

Reaper007
22nd Jun 2003, 06:56
ya know there are a couple of games in the works based on the book:

Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth (http://www.gamespot.com/pc/adventure/callofcthulhudarkcote/index.html) the screens here look so good, supposed to be released 3/1/2004
and
Call of Cthulhu: Beyond the Mountains of Madness (http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/callofcthulhubeyondtmom/index.html) supposed to be released Q4 2004

i look forward to playing these games.

Reaper007

Riovanes
22nd Jun 2003, 11:37
I'm not an eminence on anything - except being a butt, apparently.;)

But I'll go and see what I can dig up for you - I remember doing some research into Cthulhu not too terribly long ago, and I'll see if I can find the sources I used to put my notes together for you.

As for the Sumerian religion - isn't the reference to Cthulhu there one of an amoral (amoral meaning apathetic in terms of morality, not immoral) fertility god or somesuch? Can't remember - it's been a while. But the Cthulhu reference I'm referring to is more along the lines of religions established in South America hundreds of years ago.

BAH!!!

Morte
22nd Jun 2003, 21:19
As far as I know, there is no reference to a fertility, or any other Sumerian or related(Babylonian, Assyrian, Akkadian, etc.) god with the name Cthulhu. Although the Sumerian deities are generally rather amoral, if we compare them to some other western religions, or perhaps not so strictly morally defined would be better.
Perhaps you mean the Kutu(which became thus Kutu-Lu), which is often the source of incorrect associations?

Or mayhaps you have come across the reference to ancient ritual of Cthulhu, which was not a deity but a variant of karasomaphagic ritual(the old tradition, not the later bastardizations) of Life Essence?
I am not if it is in any way connected of the Lovercaft's naming of the Great Old One.

I am not very familiar with South American religions, but maybe this is the connection with Inca, Mayan and Aztec religions, who also indulged in these 'sacrifices'.

Adrian Tepes
23rd Jun 2003, 15:19
:confused: