PDA

View Full Version : Tomb Raider 6: Angel of MARMITE!!! + Councelling for dissapointed people.

RebeL_fARmeR
21st Jun 2003, 18:36
Well, that seems to be the way it is. "You either love it or hate it" Some people are saying "IT'S TERRIBLE, I'M GONNA GO AND THROW MYSELF OFF A BLEEDIN' ROOF" yet some other people are saying "A GAME FROM THE GODS, I'VE MADE MY CD INTO A SHRINE AND I WORSHIP IT EVERY NIGHT AT 10"

MARMITE! Now, what I'd be thinking is:

Someone buys the game expecting it to be absolutely amazing, they play the game, it's just like any other bog-standard Tomb Raider game... epectations extinguished! Very dissapointed, in a seething misery the person comes onto the forum and says "I
HATE THE FREAKIN GAME"

Someone else plays what I think is the more desirable approach, don't get your hopes up too high, expect it to be just another you-know-it Tomb Raider game. Then when you play the thing and it's even a little better than you expected you'll feel overall happy, come onto the forum and say "I LIKE"

COUNCELLING for dissapointed people: You know when you buy a new music CD hoping it'll be really REALLY truly excellent and when you come to listen to it you feel horrendously dissapointed? Then listen to it again the next day and it seems much better? Your expectations for AOD were way too high, set too high because of all the hype about how AOD was new and wonderful in every way. Stop playing, go down the park, build a fire to clear your head of AOD, return home and play AOD again. Trust me, it'll feel MUCH better.

I have yet to acquire it myself so tell me, who likes it, who hates it... and why?

Cheers

RebeL_fARmeR
21st Jun 2003, 18:38
p.s. Forgive my careless spelling of "Counseling"

hehehe :D

LaraAngelOfDarkness
21st Jun 2003, 18:55
It is great and reminds me of the original! People are just complaining because they cant get past the 2nd level (which is just a few hops on some roofs)! I mean after a little time in the streets of paris, you go to the Lourve and then end up in tombs. These tombs are amazing!! They have hard puzzles and many(i mean many) bobby traps! I still have a long way to go though.

galadriel1618
21st Jun 2003, 19:10
I agree with you Lara, I believe the game is very good. It is very refresing to have a new Tomb Raider game & I believe everything turned out great. I have the PS2 version & I believe the controls are just fine. I'm used to playing Tomb Raider on the PC, so the PS2 controls took a little getting used too. After that, they work very nicely. The graphics are a lot better than previous Tomb Raider games & Lara looks amazing. No the graphics are no Splinter Cell (I have the Xbox version), but they don't need to be. It's classic Tomb Raider with some new gameplay elements & twists & for me that's perfect. I actually would be playing it right this second, it's very addictive, but I'm stuck in the Louvre Galleries:D

Piega
21st Jun 2003, 19:29
I dont have it yet. I'm awaiting the PC version here in Europe. I've just seen the latest commercial I downloaded. This Eckard has a very great voice. Also Kurtis and Lara standing next to each other looks fabulous. This really is giving me shivers wanting to feel this story!

I think some people are going down with others sucked into a spiral of bad opinions. The more you read it the more you start to believe it. Ok, the playstation may be different and I can not speak for others but if it go's slow for just a minute well, I cant be bothered with that.

Where is the time that Tombraider III was choking on my 3DFX VooDoo II. AOD may choke too on my GF3. So what? There are so many games these days. The gaming industry is not the same as yesterday cause gamers are spoiled with demanding so much!

I am still very, VERY curious about The Angel of Darkness!!! After a first level I wont go yelling that... Let the game go into the mind. I did find the first Tombraider horrible too and now? Well, read me again...

midroth
21st Jun 2003, 19:30
Rebel...I think you say it.
I hang my hopes not up in the sky, I just waiting for a further Tomb Raider - not more, not less. With anyhow "finer" pictures, well it's on PS2, with anyhow better movements, well it's on PS2, with anyhow more new anything. But over all: I'm waiting for entertainment! For this the other TR games did for me, too. If outside it is raining, I still have entertaining...

Btw: I "like" people they jump just up to a roof and know all about a game...

I'm looking forward, positive!

numb
21st Jun 2003, 19:49
Someone else plays what I think is the more desirable approach, don't get your hopes up too high, expect it to be just another you-know-it Tomb Raider game. Then when you play the thing and it's even a little better than you expected you'll feel overall happy, come onto the forum and say "I LIKE"

trust me - i did approach the game w/ that attitude, & i am enjoying it on that level - but how in the hell they could just ditch something as 'signature' as lara 'flip'n'fire' battle style is something i'll never understand (idiots!)...

dafydd
21st Jun 2003, 20:03
[Folks]

Thinking about it, I would have been perfectly satisfied if, during the three-year hiatus while they were designing AOD, Core/Eidos had released some TR "level packs"... sort of like Chronicles, but a single game all tied together.

I'm not knowledgeable enough in rendering and graphics and the newest techniquest even to notice if the engine is a little primative compared to other games (which I don't play anyway). What I have always loved about the TR franchise is the game design itself (vice the engine design) -- the stuff that happens to Lara and how "she" (the player) has to deal with it.

I think Core makes a mistake thinking that the most technologically sophisticated among their audience actually represents the customer base. I really think most of the hundreds of thousands of people who play Tomb Raider couldn't tell 500 polygons from 5000 polygons, even if you offered $50.

They could use the same engine from now until next decade, and I probably wouldn't even notice... so long as they kept working on clever and exciting gameplay, beautiful, sweeping vistas of "cinematography," wonderful monsters (like the multi-armed Sivas), first-rate locations (like Kuala Lampur, Egypt, the Antarctic, and so forth).

(And so long as they included a few little improvements in Lara herself... i.e., making certain portions of her anatomy more and more realistic -- if you can call those DDD guns of hers "realistic!" :D )

I suspect I'm the perfect person to end up loving this game, when it finally comes out in the PC version.

Dafydd

His_Zutusliness
21st Jun 2003, 20:06
she can't jump around while firing anylonger??? if so, what a shame :)

BkBaby999
22nd Jun 2003, 17:01
Stop playing, go down the park, build a fire to clear your head of AOD, return home and play AOD again. Trust me, it'll feel MUCH better.

actually it'll probably feel better to just throw AoD in the fire. I'm not really playing the game, I'm more going thru this process called "2 step save 2 step save dear lord don't let this dumb game freeze stupid lara stop running there's a ledge ahead of you AAARGH" I'm happy that you are having a wonderful experience. Mine has not been such a good experienced and since all of my other TR games have not nar a bug I can't really relate....this is the buggiest game I've ever owned on PS1 or PS2 and I'm very disappointed. Next month we'll see how everyone feels but trust me I'm not trying to whine or be the voice of doom and gloom here but most people who have pointed out the slowdown, the freezes, the camera and controls as problems that should have been worked on before release are IMO telling it straight with no hype or pretenses. Note that most of us think it's a good game, maybe nothing special, and have not bashed it or anything and are even still playing it despite all the tribulations it's putting us thru because it is Tomb Raider, we're just realistic enough to know that this game isn't all that and don't feel the need to lie about it.

RebeL_fARmeR
22nd Jun 2003, 17:20
BkBaby999
Sorry to hear you're having such a bad time with AOD. How buggy is the game, really? You sound like your finding many glitches in the game and how buggy would you say it is in comparrison to TRC?

That's one reason why I've never wanted to buy a games console, no patches available.

moe888uk
22nd Jun 2003, 20:03
I dont believe that it can be that buggy, they delayed the game for 7-8 months. They were fine tuning the game apparently. Well Ive cancelled the preorder but might buy the ps2 version first. I hope what people have been saying about matrix like motion is not true. That would be stupid. Stupid i tell ya.

Rebel_farmer: Its funny to see you councelling disappointed people when you havent played the game yourself. :D

thanhkim
22nd Jun 2003, 20:24
Rebel_farmer I will help with the councelling as well sorry about the spelling it's 6am here in oz if you like, oh by the way I haven't played aod yet either........:D

moe888uk
22nd Jun 2003, 20:48
I havent played either. Lets make a cult of people who havent yet played AOD yet. I am counting you two in. I will be captain. You can be second captains. And if anyone else wants to join, you have to pay.

As you can see, I am going completely nuts, "damn eidos release the god damn game here(in uk)."

BkBaby999
23rd Jun 2003, 02:51
truthfully I've never had a glitch or bug that I've noticed in any of my other TR games.....:D (well just a few....most notably was that statue that came out the floor in Revelation and you had to jump around and just make it, I just made it once and I couldn't oick the item off the statue...that burned me up....but I had already palyed the game once through so I wasn't too mad and I was using cheats by then so....level skip that and moved on!!) but I've always had great experiences with all the games I've owned.

These glitches, bugs, whatever are very bothersome and detract from have fun with the game as I now have to save every 3-4 second just in case my game may freeze. And I'm sorry but I don't like the controls, I don't like analog in any game. And my game has a ton of slowdown moments.

For the record I got my PS2 in December and it's not overly used. I still have my PS1 and it's 3 years old and fricking immaculate, my discs and system are for the most part pristine and I have a megamemory card whihc evry other game has worked fine with except this one.

But I still love Tomb Raider and Lara...but to be honest IMO this game just isn't all that they hyped it up to be and they should have kept it another 6 months and got it right.

RebeL_fARmeR
23rd Jun 2003, 11:59
Well, I'm not SERIOUSLY counseling people here. i'm no psychiatrist, I'm just your average firearms enthusiast with a strangely good knowledge of plastic materials!!! I'm merely trying to put at ease the panic of raiders who were seriously unimpressed!

Oh well

I'll need counseling myself if the bleedin' game doesn't come out soon. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

thanhkim
24th Jun 2003, 10:38
Originally posted by moe888uk
I havent played either. Lets make a cult of people who havent yet played AOD yet. I am counting you two in. I will be captain. You can be second captains. And if anyone else wants to join, you have to pay.

As you can see, I am going completely nuts, "damn eidos release the god damn game here(in uk)." Here here at the end of the day I'm getting the game to help Lar out. She didn't kill Von Croy and we need to clear her name.

RebeL_fARmeR
24th Jun 2003, 13:05
Originally posted by thanhkim
Here here at the end of the day I'm getting the game to help Lar out. She didn't kill Von Croy and we need to clear her name.

Amen, let's all take good care of her.

LARA IS INNOCENT......... And so's Tony Martin in my opinion, let him out of jail!!! :D
And buy the man a S.P.A.S 12, shoot more scumbags!