PDA

View Full Version : I Hate Ang Lee

Kain's Ancient Blade
21st Jun 2003, 18:01
If anyone else sees the Hulk movie will probably say the same thing. The movie was almost decent, but there was too many flaws. And what a crappy ending. this has to be the worst Marvel movie in the recent string of new marvel movies.

Anyone else see it?

Riovanes
21st Jun 2003, 18:40
This one I have yet to see - and I don't believe I ever will. This has nothing to do with my personal estimation of the writing or anything - Hulk just isn't my type of character - he's big, stupid, and smashes whatever gets in his way - like an overgrown ape, devoid of finesse, style, or anything even close to composure. I prefer my principal characters to have something resembling a mind, after all, and not just a, "Hulk SMASH!!!" kind of attitude - the big green idiot just reminds me too much of all the big stupid jocks I knew in high school. No offense to athletes, but I'm sure you understand the difference between "athlete" and "jock."

I guess I can thank big muscle bound dull-witted gimps for one thing, though - they gave me one of my best lines ever. "There's nothing quite like the look on a 300 pound linebacker's face when you put your foot in his throat and kick him halfway across a room." Ah, the satisfaction of no one in high school knowing I was a certified karate instructor... Such gratifying moments, those were.

BAH!!!

TempySmurf
21st Jun 2003, 19:37
I think you should go see the movie so that you can reverse your opinion and say that it should have been about "Hulk SMASH" instead of what they tried to do.

All I have to say is that the Hulk is not Anime it's a comic book.

Riovanes
21st Jun 2003, 21:13
What, did they try to give the big numbskull some kind of socially redeeming, intrinsic value?

Hulk has always been a ripped-off Jekyl and Hyde story - that was really the only thing it had going for it - if they tried to do anything else with it, then it's not a wonder it tanked - you can't take the principal aim of a story out of its context and make something else out of it without pissing people off.

Tempy, I understand what you're trying to say about seeing a movie before I judge it - but all the same, Hulk is just not my character type, and I can't throw money at something I don't care for.

BAH!!!

TempySmurf
21st Jun 2003, 22:01
They were going to the whole over done cliche about anger, repression, and fathers. And tried to turn it into some trite psychological father son thing. The ending reminded me of the ending for Final Fantasy and the reason why it flopped. There was still "Hulk SMASH" but there was "Reason" behind it psychologically and done rather poorly. It made me want to vote Democrat and go hug a tree (that's sarcasm). I think the movie should have been about Swamp Thing instead of the Hulk.

But like so many movies nowadays you have to see it at least for the animation if nothing else. Although I still thought he looked like that little stretchy hulk I had as a kid. Anyone else have one of those?

Riovanes
21st Jun 2003, 22:44
Doesn't surprise me too much - every one of those fraggin' artsy directors think they have somethin' to say about the world, or more specifically about the human condition - and all too often they flop. Incidentally, I'm wondering if anyone else feels that "The Spirits Within" would've been a decent flick if it hadn't had the words "Final Fantasy" stamped onto it - that movie had nothing to do with that goddamn franchise - nothing at ALL.

BAH!!!

Rook
22nd Jun 2003, 05:12
Honestly, I'm not even remotely tempted to see the movie. I never did like the Hulk to begin with, and it doesn't help matters when the film's trailer looks so freakin' cartoony.

Lady Kreliana
22nd Jun 2003, 05:14
I thought Hulk looked awful in the preview.

fneh
22nd Jun 2003, 10:08
did they sort the special effects out? the hulk looked awful in the previews I saw.

It's not really my thing but I might go see it.... maybe

Matt from Spam Buddies
22nd Jun 2003, 10:18
I was just talking with my friend about this matter...

The topic was about movies we wont go watch in the cinema.

The Hulk and Tomb Raider - Cradle of Life were one of them.

The review of The Hulk was very boring.

"Woo, he is turning green... whatever..."
"Woo, he is swinging around a tank... show me something I haven't seen..."

If anyone proves otherwise, that The Hulk and Tomb Raider - Cradle of Life are good movies, then please, try to convince me.

- Matthew

fneh
22nd Jun 2003, 10:24
I actually think that the hulk would HAVE to been seen in a cinema or not at all because it's the hulk. He's supposed to be HUGE. Unless you have a 40" plus TV you may as well go to the cinema or just not watch it at all.

Matt from Spam Buddies
22nd Jun 2003, 16:11
I think I'll choose variant B, "Never watch it at all."

- Matthew

Riovanes
22nd Jun 2003, 16:48
Over hyped and over marketed movies will always fall well short in the "respectability" category - Hulk because it is just the latest in a long line of over-done superhero films (which is a genre I'm rapidly getting tired of - I'll see Spider Man 2, and then I'm done), and TombRaider because the concept of Lara Croft is almost as old as some of her fans are, and it's been run into the ground. Hollywood, however, has proven many times before that it has no nose for when something's been done to death (re: Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elm Street, Halloween and campy teen-movies with all kinds of unseen sex and pot references), so I don't think we're going to see a sudden jump in cinematic quality anytime soon.

And people wonder why I continue to hold out for the last LotR movie, and the next Harry Potter flick - at least those I can enjoy.

BAH!!!

fneh
22nd Jun 2003, 17:15
I'd rather watch the HULK than harry potter....ugh.

I agree about superhero movies getting annoying. when spiderman came out it was cool (not at all anything to do with mary jane :D )

X-men 2 was pretty good. The Hulk looks crap, I didn't bother with daredevil. The punisher looks AWFUL. I saw a pic of the guy dressed up as the punisher and it's like the 80s marvel movies all over again. Ghost rider will be pretty poor if the special effects in the hulk are anything to go by (and nick cage being ghost rider from what I hear). Iron Fist could be cool though. I bet it isn't though. Powerman and iron fist comics were kick ass back in the day (I remember seeing the newer ones in heroes for hire or something along those lines. ugh....bring back the 80s for comics I say. ALL comics were cool back then and I liked the artwork more too for some reason)

back to movies.....erm. I haven't mentioned blade yet. I'm not a fan but they weren't bad really. The vamp girl in the second one was HOT!

Matt from Spam Buddies
22nd Jun 2003, 20:22
I have seen the first Blade movie... wasn't that bad, wasn't that good... Not going to see the second one. Nuh-uh.

Didn't bother to watch Spider-Man... it was made after the new USM (Ultimate Spider-Man) comics. Read them all, so there wasn't any point.

I wont even bother to watch the Hulk or Tomb Raider - Cradle of Life, as I said before.

Daredevil was AWFUL. Can't believe I wasted my time. Plus I saw Ben Afflec in red latex... :eek: The horror!

The only decent comic movies lately have been the X-Men movies, I think. They were not that good, but way better than the ones mentioned above. Way. Better.

And I came to think of it, yeah, FF-TSW would've been better off without the Finaly Fantasy in the title.

- Matthew

TempySmurf
22nd Jun 2003, 21:12
I just wish Terry Gilliam would have been able to do The Watchmen. Now that's a comic book I would have loved to see as a movie even if it was done wrong.

And shhh.. don't talk bout Tomb Raider.

They need that money to make more LOK games ;)

Umah Bloodomen
22nd Jun 2003, 21:19
The Blade movies were fun, as were Spawn and Daredevil. Spiderman was just a good hero-type movie, and the X-series made a nice transition from book to screen. I think the best comic-to-screen film though was The Crow. (A very good movie all around).

I'm sure I'll see the Hulk eventually, just because I'm a movie-buff, however it's not one I've been overly looking forward to. (I preferred the Bill Bixby/Lou Ferrigno television series). And I am up in the air about the recent interest in the Superman series and the rumors about yet another Batman flick. And Punisher was only cool with Dolph Lundgren in the lead. :p

I'd have to say the next comic-related films I am looking forward to are: LXG, Preacher and Ghostrider.

TempySmurf
22nd Jun 2003, 22:09
They're making Preacher into a movie?

HAHA.. that's almost as funny as the french making the Faust movie. Still don't believe someone did that.

Don't tell me Nick Cave will be doing the soundtrack. :D

Matt from Spam Buddies
22nd Jun 2003, 22:16
Originally posted by TempySmurf
And shhh.. don't talk bout Tomb Raider.

They need that money to make more LOK games ;) [/B]

I am not going to see the movie and I urge my friends not to see it either. I aint going to buy the game, and yet again, I urge my friends not to.

Today I'm going to invite a friend over and show him TLOKS-SR2 and hopefully other LOK games. ;) I hope I can ignite some interest in him. Well, actually, I already have, now I just have to convince him to start playing them. :D

That's the least I can do for Crystal Dynamics. :)

- Matthew

Umah Bloodomen
22nd Jun 2003, 22:22
Originally posted by TempySmurf
They're making Preacher into a movie?

HAHA.. that's almost as funny as the french making the Faust movie. Still don't believe someone did that.

Don't tell me Nick Cave will be doing the soundtrack. :D

It's in pre-production with James Marsden slated for the role of Jesse Custer. The IMDB information hasn't been updated in awhile, but I did read elsewhere that there were some scheduling conflicts to be addressed on account Marsden was signed for X2 as well. This ultimately has postponed the work on the film.

The comic itself is really cool. I'm not sure how its transition to screen will be. :p

fneh
23rd Jun 2003, 18:26
Final fantasy TSW needed the final fantasy name to pull in final fantasy fans that didn't know what they were letting themselves into. If it wasn't FF then Squaresoft would have lost EVERYTHING with that piece of crap movie.

SPAWN?!?!?!?!?? GOOD!?!?!?!?! Did you see the same movie I did? That had to be one of the worst movies EVER. I'm not just talking superhero movies either. That was a BAD movie. The cartoon series however.......

Riovanes
23rd Jun 2003, 18:58
I think movie preference is likely more dictated by what sort of person you are than whether or not a movie is actually "good." Qualitative judgments like that are very relative to your personal viewpoint on things, so I suppose it's not really fair for anyone to out and out say that a movie sucks - even if we truly believe it does. Fair or not though, I'm sure we'll all keep doing it, so why I bothered with that little soap box I'm not sure...

Anyway, the point is this - some people go to movies for the special effects - this is why movies like "The Matrix," "XXX," and various other action flicks that are essentially skimping on plot tend to do well in the box office - a lot of people enjoy flash-bang entertainment. Other people go to see an involved story - thus "The English Patient," "Schindler's List," and other such lengthy and highly convoluted movies are also box office smashes. Still others go for fun - Disney and comedy movies fill this void well. The point is, there are a lot of different kinds of movie goers out there, and I'm sure a sizable percentage fit into more than one category - which is really stating the obvious, but oh well, I'm stating it anyway.

Bottom line - the movie I hate today may be someone else's favorite tomorrow, and the movie I think is brilliant tomorrow may be thrown down as drivel today - it's all relative.

BAH!!!

fneh
23rd Jun 2003, 21:11
I agree with you (but the Spawn movie still sucks)

DarkWraith
24th Jun 2003, 10:28
NOOO I loved Spawn
It may have been an awful representation of the comics but the special effects were so cool for that time.!!!

Kain's Ancient Blade
26th Jun 2003, 00:56
i agree Spawn sucks the big one. Just like the comics. So did the Punisher movie with Dolph Lundren, that was probably the worst Marvel movie ever made. I agree The Crow kicked major butt. I did enjoy Spiderman, Dardevil, Xmen, X2, Blade 1 2, batman 1, 2, and Superman 1, 2,. I don't really judge comic movies until i see them, and i think certain actors shouldn't have been picked for some of the roles, but over all i have enjoyed the most recent string of Comic movies.

Riovanes
26th Jun 2003, 12:31
You gotta give this to the casting crew of Spider-Man though - old Toby sure as hell made a convincing Peter Parker.

BAH!!!

The Amazing Rando
26th Jun 2003, 13:31
You mean he looks and talks like a dork well? I'd agree to that, but they could've casted much better. It should be noted that I hate Toby as an actor tho.

Matt from Spam Buddies
26th Jun 2003, 14:34
Saw "Spawn"... was once a fan of the comics and the movie... but the movie didn't leave a good impression.

Adequate, I'd say, not good, not too bad.

The special effects were pretty cool and the movie was kind of fun. That's a plus.

- Matthew

Umah Bloodomen
26th Jun 2003, 19:31
McFarlane is pushing for the sequel. :p

It was a novelty film anyway. That I can respect, and enjoy. (I wasn't expecting a masterpiece out of it). ;)

Matt from Spam Buddies
26th Jun 2003, 20:29
Exactly. Plain good old fun.

I liked the Clown. A vile little man, but funny. :D

- Matthew