PDA

View Full Version : Guess what is in my hands now....

LCfan
20th Jun 2003, 14:38
I am holding the Infamous TOMB RAIDER: AOD

Ok guys ill be gone for......ever playing my game for PS2 Enjoy it when you get it :-)

Aquarius
20th Jun 2003, 14:41
Congrats on getting AoD. :)

(I think you're the first one on this forum to get it :))

rns91294
20th Jun 2003, 14:51
I got my phone call last night from Gamestop that I can pick the gaME UP anytime today after 11am. Unfortuantley, I work till 6, but at least I know I am getting it tonight!!!!

TRaiderGurl
20th Jun 2003, 15:09
I got my phone call and i though i would let everyone know that i am on my way to get it right now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YEA!

Lady in Black is BACK!
20th Jun 2003, 15:14
Well, it looks as my job here is done. I came back to straighten things up, but now since TR:AOD is finally here, I'm leaving the forums again. :)
Bye everyone!:cool:

Lara Croft Online
20th Jun 2003, 15:15
I called EBgames after 10:30 they only had one Prima Guide
and PS2 games for Pre-Orders Only.
It was 5 minutes away and I got both hehe

Putting up the gone playing shingle see ya later!:D

Kejero
20th Jun 2003, 15:25
Originally posted by Lady in Black is BACK!
Well, it looks as my job here is done. I came back to straighten things up, but now since TR:AOD is finally here, I'm leaving the forums again. :)
Bye everyone!:cool:
You go from forum to forum like that? Truly noble! :D :cool:

Raven25
20th Jun 2003, 15:30
Good bye Lady in Black! We won't forget you!!!

westcoasttiger
20th Jun 2003, 16:20
Hey LCFan! I realize you're probably too engrossed in the game play, but if u can pry yourself away from the controller for a minute, would u please give us non-possessers a quick update as to quality of game play and graphics? How does she move, how good is the polygon count, is it the next big jump that PS2 has been promising all this time? It would be helpful to us out here still waiting. Thanks!

LCfan
20th Jun 2003, 17:26
Oh my dear gos this game is AMAZING!!! jesus its everything they promised and MORE

Lara looks amazing the levels are flawless and the badguys arent retarded!! Lara can do soooo much more now!!

Omg omg momgo mgomogm soo happy bye guys!

westcoasttiger
20th Jun 2003, 17:30
Thanks LCfan, but next time try telling us how u REALLY feel!!! Just kidding, sounds good. For comparison, are the graphics better than say, Indiana Jones on Xbox? Or Splinter Cell?

LCfan
20th Jun 2003, 17:33
Well, i dont have an Xbox, so i dont know if theyre better or not, but it sure is the best Tomb Raider has EVER looked, Better than Xbox......i dont know but Lara's Boobs actually Jiggle!

LOL

Lil Lara
20th Jun 2003, 17:36
That's so awseome! I am very jealous! :p

I'm waiting for EB to call me. The..suspense..is..killing me!!!

bongorock
20th Jun 2003, 17:39
I just got this game and I have to say that after only 20 minutes I'm very upset with what I just paid 50 bucks for. There is a HUGE framerate drop, shotty controls and gameplay, and the speed is just plain retarded. Tombraider 2 with better graphics would have been a better game than this. Oh, and just so you know, I'm not a graphic expert, but I felt like the graphics in this game where made a year ago. Nothing amazing, nothing worth noting... Although When I first played tombraider I felt lost and everything was too hard and too slow but it did grow on me. I can only hope that this one will do the same and the HORRIBLE lag will go away. If not I'll seriously want my money back.

debbie_bigpie
20th Jun 2003, 17:41
Well I've been to my local Game store in the UK where I preordered it, and still no word.......I guess it will be next week :-(

Happy playing guys........

westcoasttiger
20th Jun 2003, 17:44
Ah, thanks again LCfan for answering a delicate question but one that definitely moves the game graphics toward more realism. I mean, a sports bra can only do so much! But since u have one hand on the keyboard on the other on a controller, and also seem to be the only gamer in North America at this moment who is directly relating to Lara, how are the controls? What about the claim that setting up Lara for a jump is less geometric and cumbersome? Does she pull herself up pretty much the same? How is the camera? Have u tried a punch/roundhouse kick combo yet? Can she sprint again? How are the gun sound effects? Do the bad guys have a decent polygon count? Have u choked anyone yet, and if so, how does it compare to Splinter Cell's choke move? What's her first outfit? I'll hold my breath...

LCfan
20th Jun 2003, 17:49
WOW! Ok the controls are confusing at first but you'll get the hang of em, if i did. Setting Lara up for a jump is about the same i think. Uhm when she pulls herself up her boobs shake..not that im looking. The camera can be annoying at times just as in the first games. I havent figured out how to do her stealth/kick moves yet. She can sprint., The guns are awesome! Yes the badguys look ok too, but she looks better. I havent Choked anyone yet, her fist outfit is the jean/denim thing.

Mangar The Dark
20th Jun 2003, 17:58
Okay, to summarize what we now know about AOD from the people who've played it:

Confusing controls
Bad camera
Terrible lag in framerate/slow gameplay
Outdated graphics

But all is redeemed because her boobs jiggle.

(Why do I feel a little less excited about this game now than I did yesterday?)

westcoasttiger
20th Jun 2003, 17:59
Okay, it looks like so far we have two wildly differing opinions on AOD. Bongorock, what do u mean by the speed of the game as being retarded? And the framerate? Aren't the characters smoothed out? And what bout the textures of the environment? Does it compare with Splinter Cell graphics? (Obviously, I'm a graphics oriented guy. The gameplay's gotta be there too, but the graphics and sound lend so much towards total immersion.)

LCfan
20th Jun 2003, 18:02
Well im not having problems with my Game, maybe somethings wrong with your PS2 because mine is as fast as can be, yes the characters are smoothed out, the environments are amazing also.

Leigh Croft
20th Jun 2003, 18:04
I dont suppose uve got a webcam................;) :p

LCfan
20th Jun 2003, 18:06
I dont sorry!!!

Leigh Croft
20th Jun 2003, 18:08
Ah well worth a shot! :p Have fun, ill just return to the shanty town of devoted fans camped outside Game, looks like us Brits are gonna have to wait, again...........

bongorock
20th Jun 2003, 18:44
Ok, here is what I've gathered so far. Please do not think I'm just bashing Tombraider because its Tombraider. I like everyone had very high hopes for this game.

Framerate/lag occurs either in large open areas or in areas of shadow. Can't really pinpoint it yet but thats how it feels. Almost like its going in a max payne slow motion. I won't say etm slow motion because we all know max payne's slow motion owns :) hehe

After thinking about it some, I remember when I first picked up Tombraider 2 I didn't like the controls and the way I had to walk and jump. But I got used to it and enjoyed it alot. Now I've played every version of TR and 2 is still by far my favorite.. I wonder how many more people feel that way?? So I'm going to be more forgiving now about the controls due to the fact that it might come together more soon. I do want to note that I do not like the feeling i get that i'm playing resident evil. I can't figure out why, but I just get that feeling. If someone else does please let me know i'm not crazy.

Graphics I'm still not very impressed with. I feel like the time they put out smackdown for the ps2 and all they did was smooth out the characters some. I was not overly impressed. As is now. I think with all the time they put into this game it could/should have been much better. alot of things seem blocky and out of place. Metal Gear Solid has been out for how much longer and the graphics on it are far better in my opionion than this. But I'm not a 3D expert so what do i know? Oh, and falling used to be kinda fun, now its just a pain in the ass, and the animation when you hit the ground seems to be very lame.

Sound seems a bit dull also. I don't remember much so not much I can say about it.

Overall I would have to still suggest that anyone that doens't have this game to really think about waiting and renting it first or waiting atleast till you can read one of the game sites reivews on it that you would trust. I honestly don't think any site will give it above a 8. And that would be about pushing it.

Just my 2 cents about it.

Almost forgot to mention load speeds. I was impressed with my load times. One of the first times I wasn't upset with a load time on a ps2. They did alright in that department.

westcoasttiger
20th Jun 2003, 19:00
Thanks Bongorock- informative review. It's true that others may have a different perspecitive and expectations. The others that praise AOD compare it favorably over the previous TR games, and that may satisfy some, but I've always wanted AOD to deliver that same feeling of a technological and gameplay leap forward that the first TR gave me the first time I walked Lara down the cave and shot what I realized were bats! That's what PS2 was supposed to be all about: that next big jump for video games. And for a few exceptions in the genres that I enjoy (Gran Turismo A-Spec, ICO, Splinter Cell), I don't believe PS2 has lived up to the hype. For the most part, most of the games have been prettied up PS games. And in the cases of the promised games of realism (The Getaway, May Payne, even Enter the Matrix) had some clumsy gameplay or outdated graphics because it took the designers so long to get their product out. So now I'm waiting on THE game that got me hooked on Playstation, the game that made me stay up into the morning even when I had to be at work in a few hours. It HAS to be more than just better than TR. I think we PS die-hards DESERVE that next BIG LEAP forward, what with all the money and energy invested into Sony's and Eidos' products! I guess time will tell and the word will come from gamers here in the forum. Play on and hopefully the word will make it all right again...

bongorock
20th Jun 2003, 19:09
I just can't seem to get Resident Evil gameplay feeling out of my head. Because of the way you look around. I was never a fan of RE, so I hope that feeling is lifted soon:) I hope you enjoy the game and please post your feeling on the game when you get it. I'd like to hear what others think about it.

LCfan
20th Jun 2003, 19:35
Ima huge RE Fan, And i always get this feeling of overwhelming Dread that makes me turn off the game. LOL its just to scarey!

Tombdude
20th Jun 2003, 20:13
Originally posted by bongorock
I just got this game and I have to say that after only 20 minutes I'm very upset with what I just paid 50 bucks for. There is a HUGE framerate drop, shotty controls and gameplay, and the speed is just plain retarded. Tombraider 2 with better graphics would have been a better game than this. Oh, and just so you know, I'm not a graphic expert, but I felt like the graphics in this game where made a year ago. Nothing amazing, nothing worth noting... Although When I first played tombraider I felt lost and everything was too hard and too slow but it did grow on me. I can only hope that this one will do the same and the HORRIBLE lag will go away. If not I'll seriously want my money back.
Oh, and just so you know, I'm not a graphic expert, but I felt like the graphics in this game where made a year ago. Nothing amazing, nothing worth noting...

Heck yea the graphics probably are dated, I mean geez the game was finished a year ago, Eidos has just made everyone wait b/c of the movie coming. If this game surprises me and gets good reviews I might get the PC version, which would be the better verison anyway.

dafydd
20th Jun 2003, 20:26
[Folks]

I've never had a PlayStation; I've only played the PC versions of these games.

Is the PC version better, worse, or the same, usually, than the PS version -- assuming you have a fast PC with a good graphics card? Are the graphics better, smoother? Or is the PC clunkier?

I presume there's no difference in gameplay, right? No extra levels for the PS2 or somesuch, I hope!

Thanks,

(Any idea how soon a walkthrough will be available? I always get stuck pretty quickly :rolleyes: !)

Dafydd

tombraidergirl
20th Jun 2003, 20:37
As soon as I get my copy of the game I will star writing a walkthrough, as far as I can see most of the walkthrough writers are PC Users (or like me, do not live in the States) so I guess as soon as the game is available for "us" you might get a walkthrough.

But it seems like there will be a walkthrough on the official site soon!?

Johnny
20th Jun 2003, 21:32
Let's face the facts, people... PS2 is just an outdated, crappy console. If you're a "graphics freak" like me, I strongly recommend buying AOD for PC. After all, a PC's graphics are upgradeable, and thus you're able to keep up with today's demanding games.