PDA

View Full Version : I like the new STYLE

SoulGamer
18th Jun 2003, 06:17
I think everyone working on LoK Defiance has done a bang up job. My personal thoughts on the trailer is that the music and new style of game play gives it the feeling of all the barriers and chains are off. Theres nothing holding them back now. The gloves are off and its kill or be killed this time around. With the perfect balance of story and plot with action adventure. With a battle engine inspired by Devil May Cry, Dante eat your heart out or Kain will make you. lol I hope I'm not the only one that thinks this way.

Reaper666
18th Jun 2003, 13:57
The only problem is that the music is not going to be like the trailers music, but will be different to the old music (apparently)

The music from the trailer did suit it quite well, but would it actually suit the game that well??

I really don't think that it would.
But you never know!

But I do agree with you!

Vampmaster
18th Jun 2003, 18:17
Originally posted by SoulGamer
I think everyone working on LoK Defiance has done a bang up job. My personal thoughts on the trailer is that the music and new style of game play gives it the feeling of all the barriers and chains are off. Theres nothing holding them back now. The gloves are off and its kill or be killed this time around. With the perfect balance of story and plot with action adventure. With a battle engine inspired by Devil May Cry, Dante eat your heart out or Kain will make you. lol I hope I'm not the only one that thinks this way.

Right! Dante might as well eat his heart if kain's drained it of blood.

Evelin The Winged
19th Jun 2003, 16:41
To those people who were actually able to go to E3, what was the music in the demo like? If there is any music in the demo that is...

Riovanes
19th Jun 2003, 18:37
While I agree that the game looks fan-friggin-tastic, I would just like to say this - and I'm sure I speak for many an LoK fan when I do...

LoK is NOT Devil May Cry. It should not BE Devil May Cry, nor should it in any way attempt to imitate it. They are separate franchises, each with their own strengths and weaknesses, and they should stay that way.

I'm getting so god damned tired of hearing, "Wow, this is just like DMC!!!" And do you know why? Because, to use a colloquialism poorly, the DMC games are all filler, no killer - they're the kind of thing that amuse 14 year old boys because they're terribly violent, and utilize matrix-like moves that everyone is for some reason STILL impressed with - and yet, for many older gamers, the DMC series is sort of like a twinkie - it looks big and poofy on the outside, but when you bite into it, there's no real substance to the thing.

Let's get something straight here. The developers DO read this forum, as has been pointed out on various occassions. So if you guys keep going "DMC this," and "Wow, DMC that!," of COURSE the games are going to start following the DMC pathway - which I don't mind so much as long as the story doesn't suffer because of it - however, I seriously doubt most people that clamor on about the resemblance of the new combat system to that of DMC really get most of the intricacies of the story anyway. Maybe that's what makes LoK so great though - the brilliance of the writing operates on multiple levels - assuaging both teenage angst (anyone else notice how well Raziel fits into the "angry fifteen year old that's pissed off at his dad" model?), and the deeper need for something that's actually intellectually stimulating - if one seriously looks at the story and doesn't keep coming up with crackhead theories every five seconds. Anyhow, my point is that this evolution of the combat system should surprise no one - like all forms of valueless eye candy, DMC is on everyone's lips - just like the Matrix and other such things that have no redeeming literary value, only flash-bang entertainment. Should the LoK series go down that path, I know of at least four or five people, myself included, that will be walking away from it.

Kain is not Dante. Nor is Raziel. And thank GOD for that. Now could we please quit comparing apples and oranges, and get on with some actual discussion?

<Edit>: Grammar fix.

BAH!!!

Anubis_Orr
19th Jun 2003, 19:50
This "LoK is NOT DMC" diatribe is really getting old. People can and do understand the difference between two completely separate games. All that was said in this thread was that Kain could kick Dante's butt and the engine used to create LoK: D was inspired by the same one used to make DMC, no comparisons, merely a statement.

Umah Bloodomen
19th Jun 2003, 22:59
Originally posted by Anubis_Orr
This "LoK is NOT DMC" diatribe is really getting old. People can and do understand the difference between two completely separate games. All that was said in this thread was that Kain could kick Dante's butt and the engine used to create LoK: D was inspired by the same one used to make DMC, no comparisons, merely a statement.

The source for a lot of the in-depth comparison of LOKD and DMC occurred because that's how many magazines described it. I do agree that a majority do understand that the games are seperate, however those who have not actually read any of the articles and are going by simple word-of-mouth and are the ones quick to describe each title in a similar manner based on the assumption they are going to be one-in-the-same.

Reaver of Souls
19th Jun 2003, 23:40
I would describe LoK D as being similar to DMC, if I was describing it to someone not familiar with the game, simply because I don't know of any other similar game. It doesn't mean that LoK D has no story or anything like that, it's just the combat seems very similar. And if there is a heightened focus on fighting this time then it will be a fitting comparison, in that sense. This LokD-DMC comparison will probably be around forever, unless of course when the game comes out we discover it is not like DMC in any way at all. But until that happens, everyone is going to have to put up with hearing LoKD is like DMC. May not be nice, but that is tough luck for all of us.

punkst4r
20th Jun 2003, 02:52
I think that Dante can beat Kain even though Kain is my favorite character.

Apocrypha Roxy
26th Jun 2003, 03:49
YOU LIE!

Now, go to William's Chapel and say your pennance... DO IT...

:p

vampire of balance
26th Jun 2003, 06:29
Kain can beat every fu**ing game character known to date.

Dante, when you see Kain, better run in Hell and whine on your dad's shoulder:)

Riovanes
26th Jun 2003, 12:21
You know, I'm not sure I'd put Kain down as being able to take ANY other game character...

After all, Sam Fisher can hang between two walls using just his legs. Let's see Kainy-poo do THAT!

Kain: Hmmm... I'm feeling all godlike today - maybe I'll go kill something cute and fluffy, just because I can.

Sam: ...

*Blam!!!*

Kain: *Thud*

Sam: ...

Ah, the many advantages of being able to hide ABOVE your enemy whilst keeping your hands free. And don't even get me started on Rikimaru, or, God help Kain on this one - Daxter!!!

BAH!!!

vampire of balance
26th Jun 2003, 12:38
http://www.operationmgs.com/screenshots/splintercell2/sc4.jpg
Sam is in trouble here:) Snake will take him down in few seconds... Hurry up, Sam!!

someguysteve
26th Jun 2003, 18:21
first kain could take dante

second i kind of like what i've seen though i hope we have to do the jump thing every time just to get a decent combo, and i rather see raziel use some sort of skill with his sword and not just slash maddly, but i can't wait to try the telekinetic powers it looks so smooth and the degree of control you have is great

Riovanes
26th Jun 2003, 21:06
Originally posted by vampire of balance
http://www.operationmgs.com/screenshots/splintercell2/sc4.jpg
Sam is in trouble here:) Snake will take him down in few seconds... Hurry up, Sam!!

Ah, but you forget, Snake is old, he smokes, AND he's been replaced by that whiny little pissant Raiden. Seriously, anyone else wonder if Hideo Kojima just WANTED to make his fans hate him by putting that whiny little punk into Snake's boots? "Bu... but I don't wanna kill people! This isn't like VR at all!" Pssh... Bleeding heart little...

As for Sam - Sam's old, but there's no reference to him smoking, so his lungs are in great shape - and he's never been replaced by an upstart, effeminate and overly sensitive dorkwad with really stringy hair. So what I'd say is this - Snake got lucky and surprised Sam, but he's screwed in a few seconds. Right after Sam gets done garroting Kain...:D

BAH!!!