PDA

View Full Version : The revenge of the vae victus petition!

Vampmaster
14th Jun 2003, 14:54
I tried searching for the original one, but it didn't show up. So post here to petition for having kain say "Vae victus!" in Defiance.

Matthew
14th Jun 2003, 15:06
Man I'm in! Booyah. :D

"Vae Victus" all the way!

If CD wont put it in ... we'll ... we'll ... we'll weep silently in the corner. :P

V A E V I C T U S !!! :)

- Matthew

Zephonim
14th Jun 2003, 16:39
I also agree vae victus should return and the evil laugh when u kill a helpless human in blood omen 2 should make a re-appearance

Matthew
14th Jun 2003, 17:42
Of course.

It's obligatory! We demand VAE VICTUS and the EVIL LAUGHTER! :D

The evil laughter from BO2 also came originally from BO-LOK, Zephonim. :)

- Matthew

Glucolisis
14th Jun 2003, 18:43
I vote to keep the Vae Victus! unchanged. I wouldn`t sound cool if pronounced any other way.

And the laugh was the only thing that conected BO2 with BO1, so it should appear too.

warpsavant
14th Jun 2003, 18:58
The first petition was destroyed when they took the old forum down...

In fact, I think they took the old forum down because of the petition! CD was trying to keep us quiet!

Matthew
14th Jun 2003, 19:08
Originally posted by Glucolisis
I vote to keep the Vae Victus! unchanged. I wouldn`t sound cool if pronounced any other way.

And the laugh was the only thing that conected BO2 with BO1, so it should appear too.

I'm not talking about CHANGING Vae Victus. I think that no one here is. We just want to HEAR it in LOK-D. :)

No way - leave it the way it is. Very nostalgic.

We just want it in LOK-D! XD

- Matthew

Glucolisis
14th Jun 2003, 19:21
I said that because in BO2 there is hidden sound file that has 2 or 3 forms of Vae Victus, and none of them where as cool as the original one.

Apocrypha Roxy
14th Jun 2003, 19:21
... but to punctuate my statement:

Ladies and Germs - a lesson in Latin. Vae Victus.

Vae: Alas!
Victus: Nourishment, Sustinance, Way of Life, etc.

Thus.

Vae Victus: Alas, Sustinance!

Also translated as:

HEY, FOOOD!!!!!

I say bring back Vae Victus - give Kain his dinner cry - I mean his war cry! And make him laugh, too! C'mon, the ultimate badass has to have a warped sense of humor - I mean, he flushed his firstborn into the world's biggest toilet to piss him off and send him into the past, eh?

(C'mon, get down with the sickness - you know you want to...)

I thought so... :p

Matthew
14th Jun 2003, 19:38
Totally agreed.

Besides - if it were Vae Victis, then the pronounciation wouldn't be TOO different...

Anyway, I say - KEEP it the way it is, because that's the way we learned to love it and that's what makes LOK special for us. :)

Meemooriees...

In summary - we want the laughter and Vae Victus from BO-LOK! Not to change them. :)

- Matthew

Apocrypha Roxy
14th Jun 2003, 19:44
Actually, Matthew, the pronunciation problem is not the Victus, but the Vae.

Originally it was VAY. Like Hay. Or Pay. Or Say. Or Neigh.

They say the correct pronunciation is VYE. Rhymes with Lye. Or Pie. Or Sigh. Or Cry.

-sigh- Who cares for political - I mean lingual - correctness? Not me! Keep it old school, I say...

:D

Reaver of Souls
14th Jun 2003, 19:51
I vote for both the keeping of an unchanged vae victis as well as kain's maniacal laugh.

There was a thread in the Blood Omen forum awhile back, and it had something to do with that saying, and at the bottom it had the pronounciation and I'm pretty sure it said "why wictis".
I'll look for that so I can prove once and for all that I am not insane... at the moment at least. :p

Edit: The thread was actually in the LoK CC, but here is the link to the article (http://www.nationalreview.com/derbyshire/derbyshire081502.asp). It gives the pronounciation at the bottom of the page. Hmm.. my memory must be going, it is actually WHY WEEK-tis. Oh well...:rolleyes:

The Amazing Rando
14th Jun 2003, 21:36
I'd love to hear Kain say it again,perhaps at the end of the game, or perhaps if Raz gets 'attacked' by the Reaver again and Kain needs to let him get absorbed this time.

TG_Syd
14th Jun 2003, 21:49
I'm in, it sounded relly cool and they should bring it back

Soul Reaver
14th Jun 2003, 21:50
Vae Victus!!! Suffering to the conquered!!!
And I too want it back!! Also the laughter... All the way Matt!!

kongg
15th Jun 2003, 01:49
I think V V shld only be said in moments of great triumph. Ie Defeat of boss creature. If it is used too often, losses its effect.

warpsavant
15th Jun 2003, 04:47
No way. Kain should say it EVERY TIME he swings the Reaver.

Umah Bloodomen
15th Jun 2003, 04:48
But won't that take away from the reaver shriek? :p

blincoln
15th Jun 2003, 05:09
People have been bugging them about it so long, maybe they'll include an unlockable bonus mode where it replaces all of Kain's lines. They could have Simon Templeman say it in a variety of ways, so it would seem appropriate.

=P

The_Hylden
15th Jun 2003, 05:45
Yah, I would love that, Blincon. The "Vae Victus" in BO2 was more vicious in it's delivery. Perhaps Mr. Templeton could give it in the same reguards in Defiance.

If you don't know to what I'm referring, here is the song from the BO2 soundtrack that it appears on. It's the "I am Kain" track.

http://nosgoth.threethirteen.net/BO2_downloads.htm (http://)

I do apologize for making you sit through the entire 4 minutes and 42 seconds of the song. I like it, though.:p However, I wish I could just isolate the line itself. Sorry.:)

Umah Bloodomen
15th Jun 2003, 05:48
Something appears to be wrong with your link. Might want to get that fixed. Also, right-click and save target as if you're going to download from that source. Don't stream the audio.

The Amazing Rando
15th Jun 2003, 05:54
Originally posted by Umah Bloodomen
But won't that take away from the reaver shriek? :p

Fine, I found the perfect compromise- The Reaver can shriek "Vae Victus"

Umah Bloodomen
15th Jun 2003, 05:56
Originally posted by The Amazing Rando
Fine, I found the perfect compromise- The Reaver can shriek "Vae Victus"

As cool as that would be, I would miss the shrieking sound of death made popular in BO1. :( :p :D

How about Kain says Vae Victus before swinging the reaver, and then we can get the best of both worlds? :p

The Amazing Rando
15th Jun 2003, 06:01
I was thinking more like a manipulated recording of Simon saying V V so that it sounded like park of the shriek, only just a little louder so it's just distinguishable from the rest of it. So it's still both, but not really Kain saying it. I have this made-up sound in my mind and can't get rid of it now. lol

I wouldn't mind both either, tho.

Umah Bloodomen
15th Jun 2003, 06:02
I have this made-up sound in my mind and can't get rid of it now. lol

I wouldn't mind both either, tho.

Prozac is your friend... **repeats** :D

The_Hylden
15th Jun 2003, 06:07
Thanks Umah :)

Hmm, I don't know the problem, but, here is the link. Copy and paste it. It should work. *Hopes*:(

http://nosgoth.threethirteen.net/BO2_downloads.htm

Edit: I see, I tried to copy this in the link page as I usually do on another site, but it wasn't necessary and it is working for me. Hope this is the case for the rest of you:)

Ken Cow!
15th Jun 2003, 06:08
But the reaver shouldn't shriek at all. Kain wields the blood reaver in Defiance, remember?

Umah Bloodomen
15th Jun 2003, 06:15
No problem The Hylden. You seemed to have fixed it. :)

In regards to the *shrieking reaver*, in the event that Kain is able to secure Raziel's soul into the blood reaver at some point in LOKD, then it would become the soul reaver, and could potentially shriek.

I think I need one of those stress-relieving squishy ball-type things...

EDIT: Doing my part to clean up the unnecessary crap in this forum, by removing that which I've added.

The Amazing Rando
15th Jun 2003, 06:40
Who ever said only the Soul Reaver could make the noise. It didn't seem to make the noise in anything but BO1. It could be possibly that the Ancients formed it to make that noise. Hey, it could just be the screems of everyone ever killed by the Reaver.

*Offers Umah some Prozac*Not like it won't help, sure can't hurt.:D

Blade2642
15th Jun 2003, 07:17
They should use VAE VICTUS!!!!

Matthew
15th Jun 2003, 09:08
- Vae Victus! (the good old original one)
- Evil Laughter (from BO-LOK and TLOKS-BO2)
- Soul Reaver Shriek (in case "You-know-what" happens ;))

If we get all that in LOK-D, too, then I can die happy. :p

- Matthew

Zephonim
15th Jun 2003, 10:44
ermm yeah all that mathew :) and i think that the screamin reaver is raziel, as u see in sr2 when the wraith blade gets over zelous it gets noisier
:)

Matthew
15th Jun 2003, 11:22
Mmmmaybe... :)

- Matthew

Vampmaster
15th Jun 2003, 13:43
My mum heard me playing BO1 one time and thought Kain was saying merry christmas!

EDIT: I agree with Blinc about unlocking alternative dialogue. Only for the battle cries though, because it might mean long delays if they have to do all the cutscenes.

Omega
15th Jun 2003, 15:17
I'm not that bothered either way. It's always nice to hear an evil laugh now and then... but as for 'vae victus' - I dunno.

It depends. You know... like one day you want tomato sauce with chips, the next day you just want salt...

ZeNeR
15th Jun 2003, 15:21
Originally posted by Vampmaster
My mum heard me playing BO1 one time and thought Kain was saying merry christmas!

:D:D:D

Okay, I should say something useful so I won't derail this topic...

"Vae Victus!"™ was maybe the coolest parts of BO1. I won't never forget the ending cut scene. Hash'ak'gik makes his appereance and says some dramatic lines. Then Kain raises his sword and shouts "Vae Victus!"™

So I would like to hear some "Vae Victus!"™ in action again. And that super cool evil laughter too...!

Matt from Spam Buddies
15th Jun 2003, 15:30
I don't know... Kain yelling Vae Victus with every swing... ?

I have to agree with Ben.

Maybe he should yell Vae Victus only when he has defeated a boss adversary. And laugh when he has killed a helpless human.

The Reaver should shreak with every swing. That's what we want. :D

- Matthew

warpsavant
15th Jun 2003, 18:45
Yeah, EVERY SWING. Thats what I said. Probably have to say it again....

I figure if we want to hear it every swing, then at the very least CD can put it in there ONE TIME somewhere....

Zephonim
15th Jun 2003, 20:27
yeah like the final blow to an enemy or something

Matt from Spam Buddies
15th Jun 2003, 20:46
As it can be seen from the screenshots and previews, there will be 6-7 enemies engaging on the player. If Kain yells Vae Victus with every kill, then it's as bad as having him yell that with every swing.

Uh... I guess...

- Matthew

warpsavant
15th Jun 2003, 22:34
Well, you're just gonna have to play with the volume turned down, Matt from Estonia #2!

There can NEVER be TOO MANY Vae Victus', or Please, help me kind sir's!

The Amazing Rando
15th Jun 2003, 22:47
I agree with warp

Matt from Spam Buddies
16th Jun 2003, 09:24
Yeah, baby. Matt goes v. 2.0.

Why wouldn't Kain yell Vae Victus with every step?

;)

- Matthew

Mephastophilis
16th Jun 2003, 10:40
Yay, bring back "Vae Victus" and evil laughter.

I think it would be good if Kain only said "Vae Victus" after a particularly good combination, making it something of a reward for us fans (sort of a development on the way it was used in BO1).

As far as pronounciation goes, well, Latin is a dead language, so we don't really know how it was spoken, and in any case Kain's Latin was presumably learnt in a pseudo-medieval school setting, meaning that "errors" are hardly surprising (I'm not sure, but I have a feeling that pronounciation of Latin would have been slightly different during the Middle Ages anyway).

It would also be nice if "Oh please, help me kind sir!" featured again - that was one of the few things that I liked about BO2. It brought back fond memories from an earlier epoch of my existence...

Apocrypha Roxy
16th Jun 2003, 15:23
There we go... and have a squishy ball!

-Rando and Umah pop the squishyballs-

>SpLoOsH<

Wow, that bad, eh? :p

I noticed in LoK-BO, that Kain would repeatedly laugh and Vae Victus himself as he fought - I'd need to turn down the volume to ease my mother's nerves, and close the door to muffle it further.
Sometimes I wanted to smack him...

- Vae Victus! (the good old original one)
- Evil Laughter (from BO-LOK and TLOKS-BO2)
- Soul Reaver Shriek (in case "You-know-what" happens )

If we get all that in LOK-D, too, then I can die happy.

If we get all that and a bag of chips, then we'd all die happy. Don't forget the chips...
I hope they put it back... it's just not Legacy of Kain without it...

Matt from Spam Buddies
16th Jun 2003, 15:54
My tormented soul will then go and haunt Crystal Dynamics HQ forever if we won't get the bag of chips. :p

Mmm... Chips...

- Matthew

Apocrypha Roxy
16th Jun 2003, 16:25
My tormented soul will join you...

junglejoe
16th Jun 2003, 20:26
you've got my vote

vae victus is the coolest battle cry ever:cool:

Evelin The Winged
19th Jun 2003, 16:37
Originally posted by Matt from Spam Buddies
Mmm... Chips...

Now your begining to remind me of Homer Simpson...

Matt from Spam Buddies
19th Jun 2003, 18:26
Originally posted by Evelin The Winged
Now your begining to remind me of Homer Simpson...

Is that so...

http://www.vabrik.ee/snake/homer.jpg

:D

- Matthew

punkst4r
20th Jun 2003, 03:58
To me kain looks like a powerfull vampire so I think it would be great to hear Vae VIctious.

fneh
20th Jun 2003, 17:34
I think Kain should shout "GO CHEESE!"

vae victus was annoying. Maybe if he only said it once in the entire game it would be OK. Not EVERY. DAMN. TIME (you kill someone):rolleyes:

Vampmaster
20th Jun 2003, 18:47
If there's any spells or something that he can't do very often, then he could say it when he does that. Or he could say it when he defeats a boss.

warpsavant
20th Jun 2003, 19:08
Every time he swings it. Casts it. He should say it both times!

So if I mash the square button its like

VAE VAE VAE VAE VAE VAE VAE VICTUS VICTUS VICTUS VICTUS

The Amazing Rando
20th Jun 2003, 19:29
nah warp, everytime he takes a step, everytime he sees an enemy, any time he gets ready to fight, every boss fight, every time he sneezes. You know what, I think they should just make the music be Kain shouting it over and over.

warpsavant
20th Jun 2003, 20:06
I agree with Rando

its funny how many heads this went over, eh?

Secrets Of Nosgoth
21st Jun 2003, 18:04
If some sort of auto lock is featured, instead of Kain's hiss he head in BO2 he could say Vae Victis.

I love the word. Funny how you mentioned your mom thought he was saying Merry Christmas. My brother to this day always asks me when I play the game, "Why is he saying "Yeah Victor.""

KoolKat_EF
21st Jun 2003, 23:11
LOL, it would be quite amusing to hear Kain sneeze. :D

I would never grow tired of mashing the square button to hear the mix of Vae Victus. LMAO.

Boy, am I such a sad little individual. :D

Btw, nice pic of Homer, Matt. :D

Ken Cow!
22nd Jun 2003, 03:21
I thought he was saying "They Evict Us!"

is he talking about his landlords?

Secrets Of Nosgoth
22nd Jun 2003, 07:13
You mean it isn't "may she lick us?"

Zephonim
22nd Jun 2003, 09:33
i thot it said "Kain Fiction"

what a banana i was so many eons ago!!!:p

KoolKat_EF
22nd Jun 2003, 18:07
LMAO. :D:p:D

Apocrypha Roxy
22nd Jun 2003, 18:16
We really have too much time on our hands to actually have different interpretations of Vae Victus.

'May she lick us?'

That's the strangest - and most unclean - thing I've ever heard pertaining to a videogame. Ever.

KoolKat_EF
23rd Jun 2003, 20:15
Yeah, I kinda was a little surprised at that, but you still gotta laugh at the daft things ppl interperate other things for. ;)

I often think characters are talking in a different language and then find out that they actually say something else. :D

Threnodi
4th Jul 2003, 23:23
I was thinking more like a manipulated recording of Simon saying V V so that it sounded like park of the shriek, only just a little louder so it's just distinguishable from the rest of it. So it's still both, but not really Kain saying it. I have this made-up sound in my mind and can't get rid of it now. lol

Heh! The way Raziel's dark reaver says "Soulrrreaaver!" when you swing it? (BTW are my sister and I the only ones who can hear this? I don't know if it was intended to sound that way but -boy- it does. :)

I'd like to hear the vae victus line in a cutscene at a -good- moment. not a cheesy obviously contrived moment like they do in bad cartoons. Like a good moment that is so appropriate but you still don't expect it. :) So it's funny when it suddenly occurs to you how well that applies. Aside from that, hearing it in boss battles or all through the game would be darn fun. ^_^ Or that beer reaver cheat mentioned in the dark gift thread. ;) That'd be hilarious.

Trollslayer
5th Jul 2003, 01:05
Hey i remember this petition back in the days i used to be here :D

*signs*

Vae Victus!