PDA

View Full Version : Whats everyone doing this summer?

Omega
11th Jun 2003, 00:01
In attempt to get people talking (in here anyway) I'm asking ya'll what your doing this summer...

Personally, I'm not doing much. Work, worry about exam results, and actually work on my site...

So, what about you guys?

Lady Kreliana
11th Jun 2003, 00:17
I'm moving to Colorado next month. Then I start my externship.

Matthew
11th Jun 2003, 09:07
I'm having my second exam tomorrow. The last one's on Monday and between those two exams I mostly study and consult the teachers.

The graduation is in a week and after that I'm finally free.

I have planned a few gigs for the summer. So pretty much I'll be working the whole summer. But hey - I get paid and the gigs are related to my hobbies.

During my free time I think I'll visit Finland and concentrate on drawing and art. I also have to and want to read a few good books.

The weather this summer is looking mighty average, not like the heatwave a year ago. I'll hang out with my friends and I also plan to play and complete all the games from BO-LOK to TLOKS-BO2 again on rainy evenings (to get my brainjuices flowing when LOK-D is out :)).

It will be a very short and average summer, but I'm satisfied with it. :)

- Matthew

fneh
11th Jun 2003, 18:48
I'm working my ass off all summer to try and pay some of my rediculous overdraft off before I start my next year at uni

and I'm going away on a kung fu course for a week at the end of july

Sarah
11th Jun 2003, 22:43
Well-actually a bit, for me anyway: I will master the bicycle(don't laugh, when I was little we never had time/money/bike that would fit me...Sarah got the little short inseam-Mom's like "Here, use my bike that's 6" too tall, a bike's a bike"), and am going back to school, and am working on the whole "Turning a quarter century old-must find someone" thing, and I lost another couple of inches(yes!)....
So-other then that stuff, there's the usual of taking care of fam., and the house, and maybe get a little beagle puppy, and play some games-thinking of either Super Monkeyball 2, or Ape Escape 2...you know-light stuff before the huge waves of heavy games.... Oh, and am saving up for my winter vacation to Victoria, which shall be fun, I think.

Azrael
11th Jun 2003, 23:30
What im going to do this summer? Hmm that depends on, if i have get a summer job --> i'll work, sleep, lurk on the forums, etc <repeat all of this> :p
Else, i'll stay as house parasite (as always) ^^

hippiechk
16th Jun 2003, 18:44
Well, I am starting off the summer by having surgery this Wednesday. It's an outpatient procedure, but I'll be in recovery mode on the couch for 2 weeks.

I start my summer job on July 1st. Checking badges at my condo development pool(s). It's the cushiest job ever - work on my tan all day, swim when I want to, hang out with friends, read, no need for a babysitter as my kid plays with all her friends in the pool, weekends off, and I get paid for it - off the books. It doesn't get any better. And if I didn't have this job, I'd be at the pool anyway, so I might as well get paid for being there, right?

My summer reading list is very long, but I've already gotten a huge jump start on it with 5 books devoured in 6 weeks. I just picked up 4 more today. The pool job will make it easy to complete my list.

On July 5, I'm heading down the Jersey Shore - Long Beach Island - for a week. We go every summer and it's great! Beach, beer, BBQ and music.

Other than that, I guess I'll do a few day trips. The Philadelphia Zoo is always a fave. And Great Adventure too! Can't wait to check out the new Superman ride! Maybe a few museums in NYC, like the Met and Natural History. It's been a few years since I've been to either.

My birthday is in August too. I'll probably do the usual - party with a few close friends late at night after my daughter is asleep - thing. That's always fun.

Looks like it's shaping up to be a busy, but still relaxing kinda summer! I plan to enjoy it. And I hope you all enjoy your summer too.

Matt from Spam Buddies
16th Jun 2003, 19:02
Thanks, same to You. :)

I hope the surgery goes well and I wish You'd get out of the recovery mode on the couch soon. It's utterly boring, been there, so try to find something fun to do while recovering.

Today was my last exam. Well, actually, the oral part still remains. So after tomorrow I can finally call myself free. Oh, also have to study French, have some old depts from the last cemester... But that's also tomorrow, so I'll be free tomorrow at 1 PM.

Then there's the graduation on Friday and then, my summer can start. :cool:

I wish everyone on these boards a nice summer. :)
Relax, sleep, be free.

- Matthew

X-Sabre
16th Jun 2003, 21:05
Taking summer school, cross country, probably get a summer job but im not sure where yet, and start getting back into photoshop/3dsmax stuff...

Soul Reaver
16th Jun 2003, 21:27
Luckily my school ended a week or even 2 ago... Thank GOD!
I'm gonna go to my summer house until it's sold...:( :(
And currently I'm in the city writing you guys...

HAve a nice summer...

darien_specter
16th Jun 2003, 23:08
Working in the shop at my school's summer theatre season, Tent Theatre. I am a carpenter this summer... buildin' sets... woo oo oo...

Valzara
17th Jun 2003, 02:07
Ha, for my country is forever summer.:D

DarkWraith
17th Jun 2003, 12:42
Hmm well lets see. I am at parties every night for a week starting a week on thursday. then I leave scuba diving in spain for two weeks then I come back and have my driving test. week after that I am in a show in london. then generally have fun and relax gearing myself up for next year when I am working in london all year and living there in a cushy little flat.
that my life for the next year and 3 months or so. woohoo

Matt from Spam Buddies
17th Jun 2003, 13:27
Woohooo! :D

Today was my last exam!

Passed all of 'em! :)

Wohoo! Summer can start for me finally. Have a nice summer, all of You folks!

- Matthew

Jeffers
17th Jun 2003, 14:50
Hmmm, summer.

I have got a little bit of extra work planned, but mostly worrying about my exam results and what I am going to do in september.

I have finally decided university is not what I want to do. :S

that leaves me with the major problem of what I am going to do.

I am still hanging around by the way, just been busy with lots of other things which is why I haven't posted much. That is if you still remember who I am. ;)

Jeffers

Apocrypha Roxy
17th Jun 2003, 17:07
This is Regents week. I have off until the 26th, to get my reportcard and (not) my diploma.

Summer school - one more English and Math class. Then graduate in August, godwilling.

Graduation is the 25th. HaHa! Isn't that nice? :rolleyes:

A job, probably, too. Barnes & Noble.

Lurk around here.

Play some games.

Sleep.

Fill out the rest of my CUNY form.

Get accepted to Baruch or Brooklyn College.

Tan my pale ass. It's a crying shame - I tan so well... but I'm milk-white.

Go insane in the company of my mother, retired father, and sister. ALL SUMMER LONG.

Wait happily for Defiance in the Fall.

Yep, that's about it. LoK Defiance will make all of the torture - all of it - worth it.

Matt from Spam Buddies
17th Jun 2003, 20:28
I'll be doing some digging in a medieval cloyster. If not, then I hope I'll get the job in the newly discovered medieval underground tunnels or on some other digging site.

I hope they accept me for a guide to introduce the medieval Old Town to the tourists. If not, then I'll probably do it next summer or even later.

Gonna spend time outside, play games and also draw and concentrate on art.

- Matthew

Riovanes
17th Jun 2003, 21:14
Let's do this one list-style.

I'm in London for the entirety of the summer.

I work in a publishing house with 20 beautiful women who are all my age and all very interested in knowing a boy from the states, for some odd reason.

There are pubs here. They serve beer, red meat, and potatoes served a billion different ways - all with massive amounts of artery clogging gravy.

There is no open container law here, so I may drink while walking down the street if I so choose.

If I choose to engage in pursuits that would be less than legal in the states (which, aside from one trial run, I have and will not), then I may without fear of reprisal, because some things are not illegal here that are elsewhere.

There are pubs here - they serve beer and meat - with at least one if not several to each street - 12 within a block of my hotel.

The media here is unrestricted, and so it is not uncommon to be able to watch a completely unedited "R" feature on network television.

Being 21, I am legally old enough in this country to do everything up to and including apply for citizenship - and flying anywhere within the UK costs me about $5.

There is a tattoo parlor in Camden Market that will be doing my tattoos for me for a sum total of $100, when they would've cost me almost double that in the States - and the parlor is of better quality, cleaner, more sterile, and generally more professional than the best I found in my area back home.

I may wear casual clothes to my job - and they not only do not look down on me for my piercings and (future) tattoos - rather they compare their own with mine.

One of my bosses has already challenged me to a drinking contest.

There are women everywhere - 90% of whom think my accent, being from the Midwest, is "cute" - which means that I DO have a chance in hell here, unlike back home. :D

And oh yes, there are pubs here - they serve beer and meat.

All in all, I do believe, unequivocaly, that I will be having the best summer of anyone on these boards - mostly because I will simply fold up into a ball and deny reality if someone actually IS having a better summer than I.;)

resh
17th Jun 2003, 21:21
I'm just gonna be hangin about, working, going swimming, going to the common riding, etc.:D

I'm soory that some of you still have exams, that is a real bummer:( HippieChick thats really unfortunate having surgery and all, take care wont u:D ;) :p ;) :D

The Amazing Rando
17th Jun 2003, 21:30
Hey Rio, is there anyplace to get a drink over there? :p

Anyway, I'm not up to much this summer. Right now I'm looking for a different job so I can make $ for college in the fall. I'm also looking for a laptop for college, but it will also be a gaming rig.

There's a semi-family reunion that I gotta go to later, and a couple concerts I want to catch.

Omega
17th Jun 2003, 22:50
Originally posted by Riovanes
I may wear casual clothes to my job - and they not only do not look down on me for my piercings and (future) tattoos - rather they compare their own with mine.

Lucky. My work has just introduced new company policay that bans facial piercings, they even especially mentioned lip rings.

Goddamit. Did they stalk me or something?

I'm also not allowed to get any visible tattoos.. oops. Too late for that.

And I have to wear a uniform. Polo shirt with the company logo on. Like them to find one that fits me! mwahhaha.

Matt from Spam Buddies
17th Jun 2003, 22:53
Tut-tut... The diet thread didn't help? :D :p

Do what models do - eat salt and ketchup, then throw up.

:p

- Matthew

Omega
17th Jun 2003, 22:58
Oh I'm on a diet... a seafood diet (sees food and eats it).

Har har. Haven't heard that in a long time. Honest!

Seriously... I am. I'm cutting back on bread (it's killing me) and in it's place I'm smoking more (that's killing me too).

What a wonderful life I lead.

Matt from Spam Buddies
17th Jun 2003, 23:02
Heh-heh... Hulk find joke fun-nee...

Arhem... Seriously... Good boy. ;)

Better to smoke than to eat bread. Don't You know how many people are killed by bread on the streets?

Oh, try that salt and ketchup thang out.

- Matthew

Omega
17th Jun 2003, 23:08
I'm not really that fond of throwing up intentionally.... unless it's alcohol related you understand ;)

Apocrypha Roxy
18th Jun 2003, 16:54
Rio, you lucky bastard... :mad: :D :p ;)

DarkWraith
18th Jun 2003, 17:12
Ok Rio I am going to try and give you a run for your money.

I will have by next Tuesday have completed all of my A-levels and at that point will my year and a half of partying begin. WOOHOO

After 2 weeks of parties I leave for a two-week Scuba diving holiday in Spain at a port which is a protected environment and thus there are species of sea life there that do not exist anywhere else.

After that I return and spend a week learning to drive in my nice shiny new car (YAY). In august do a weeks work for a ridiculous amount of money for someone of my age at a theatre. In September I begin my job in London where I get a flat and more money for doing 20 hours a week.

Any time I haven’t mentioned I will be spending at one of our numerous pubs, which serve beer and meat!!! :D

Plus what’s even better is I live here so the pubs and meat are mine forever!! Woohoo!!

Oh what’s the open container law?

DW

Riovanes
18th Jun 2003, 17:40
You go straight to hell, DW... Straight... to... hell.

Beer and meat, yours forever... We thinks it not, precious... We shall haves the beer and meat all to ourselves!!! With lots and lots of gravy.... Yesssssssss...

Oh, and the open container law is something that appears to be only in the US. Basically what it states is that other than in approved drinking venues (such as bars with external patios, sports stadiums that serve alcohol, and open-air events with a liquor license), you cannot have an open container of alcohol outside in public. In other words, it would be illegal for me to go to the lake in my town back home and sit out with a beer - whereas it's not here.

So... yeah. I think I'm just going to apply for citizenship and stay here - legal bud!

BAH!!!

Azazel
18th Jun 2003, 18:16
Oh, and the open container law is something that appears to be only in the US.
We have it here in The Netherlands as well.

Matt from Spam Buddies
18th Jun 2003, 18:38
Originally posted by Omega
I'm not really that fond of throwing up intentionally.... unless it's alcohol related you understand ;)

;)

Beer and meat... M-mmm... The thing that makes the world go round.

www.zone.ee/mattart/nicetomeetyou.jpg

- Matthew

DarkWraith
19th Jun 2003, 13:10
Thats it i never have to study History again as a pure subject. it may crop up during my study of music but i can forget all aboutthe French Sodding Wars Of Religion woohoo!!!!!

ohh... open container Law sounds like it bites.

and I have in front of me a plate of meat and a pint of Guinness. All is right with the world!!!
DW

hippiechk
19th Jun 2003, 22:07
Thank you all for the well wishes.
Surgery went well. Now all I have to do is chill out on the couch for two weeks. I think I can handle that :D
Plus they gave me really good pain killers to help me enjoy… erm… I mean recover.
I'll take advantage of this time to read and be creative before jumping into my fun summer!
Thanks again ;)

Matt from Spam Buddies
19th Jun 2003, 22:22
Yay! :D

Congrats. Happy recovering. Try to do something interesting, it sometimes gets so utterly boring. :(

:)

- Matthew

Vampmaster
19th Jun 2003, 23:45
Oh, and the open container law is something that appears to be only in the US. Basically what it states is that other than in approved drinking venues (such as bars with external patios, sports stadiums that serve alcohol, and open-air events with a liquor license), you cannot have an open container of alcohol outside in public. In other words, it would be illegal for me to go to the lake in my town back home and sit out with a beer - whereas it's not here.

Some places in the UK have that law, but there's usually a sign. It's usually just a few streets in busy areas where there's about a hundred pubs/clubs packed into one place line in the centre of Liverpool.

Well I won't be going there over summer cause most of my friends are from uni and live in different parts of the country. I will when I get back though cause my room's only £20 per week (cause it's tiny) and I've still got a bit left from last year. Once my studant load comes in (and provided I get a summer job between now and then) I'll be loaded. That means beer! So I'll have to get a summer job and apart from that I need to learn to drive and revise for a math182 resit. I didn't fail, but I had to rely on my other modules balancing out my pathetic 35% so I'm resiting by choice. One mark less and it'd be a different story. The only fun thing I have planned for the summer is my friends visiting for my sisters party in a few weeks. I'll be doing nothing but work and wasting time on the message boards for three months but after that it will be like alcahol raining from the skies hahaha!!!!

Raz
20th Jun 2003, 11:21
I work in a publishing house with 20 beautiful women who are all my age...

:(

There are pubs here. They serve beer, red meat, and potatoes served a billion different ways - all with massive amounts of artery clogging gravy.

:(

If I choose to engage in pursuits that would be less than legal in the states (which, aside from one trial run, I have and will not), then I may without fear of reprisal, because some things are not illegal here that are elsewhere.

I won't ask... :p

The media here is unrestricted, and so it is not uncommon to be able to watch a completely unedited "R" feature on network television.

You have tight restrictions in the US? What's considered an "R" feature...? :p

Being 21, I am legally old enough in this country to do everything up to and including apply for citizenship - and flying anywhere within the UK costs me about $5.

God bless cheap airlines! :D

As for myself, I'll be searching for college courses, yet again, and I'll be getting in the extra overtime at work. In my free time I'll probably just lounge around, as I do... :D