PDA

View Full Version : Defiance interview with senior game designer at C.D.

KainSyndrome101
10th Jun 2003, 03:17
I was looking around at www.gamers.com when I found this: www.gamers.com/news/1386011 (http://)

I don't know if anybody's seen this before, and the information it contains is nothing really new, but it reveals a little about what characters will be in the game, and what plot holes will be filled.

Umah Bloodomen
10th Jun 2003, 03:35
Just to let everyone know ahead of time, you may have to copy and paste the address into your browser's search bar, along with refreshing the page after doing so (as there appears to be a page script error upon the initial load).

EDIT: A decent article overall. I am a bit disappointed that Mike Peaslee wasn't mentioned alongside Jim and Kurt though.

In terms of story, switching between the characters' points-of-view allows us to exploit cool narrative tricks that you don't often see in games, like that of the `privileged observer' - where the viewer learns things slightly ahead of the characters, raising both the tension and the stakes at the same time.
I am not too sure about this to be honest. I am going to assume that aspects of the storyline/gameplay won't be overly obvious, and hope that I am not let down on this issue.

The Amazing Rando
10th Jun 2003, 04:49
An ok article, tho I really wouldn't say Kain and Raz were enemies in SR2 (except for the beginning). I agree with your edit there Umah, as I've read books like that and the story suffers a little bit when they do things like that IMO.

Edit: I still don't like the title, no matter what it represents or has played in the series. I just don't like it.

Umah Bloodomen
10th Jun 2003, 17:22
Originally posted by The Amazing Rando
An ok article, tho I really wouldn't say Kain and Raz were enemies in SR2 (except for the beginning).

Agreed. Although their relationship could change, at any point, I don't really see Raziel going back to how he was in the beginning. (Angsty/vengeful, la de da da. Well, unless Kain tries to kill him again, which I've speculated before). ;)

punkst4r
20th Jun 2003, 04:47
Defiance is gonna have to be longer than SR2 because they're pretty much cutting it in half since they are telling two stories at the same time.And I know that their storylines connect at certain poinst but imagine cutting SR2 in half.....would you have learned as much as you did if it wasn't complete.

I really hope that Defiance just stops at the new improved battle system that is familiar to DMC because for whoever played DMC2 both Dante and Lucia get the same powers and they have nothing to do with the story line even though the story sucks.Wouldn't it really suck if Kain and raziel had the same gifts?:eek:

TempySmurf
21st Jun 2003, 03:29
The combat system has undergone a major overhaul, to allow truly simultaneous conflict with multiple enemies, and we've enriched the fighting mechanics with a cool new system of combos, many over-the-top moves, and improved enemy AI. Enemies will no longer just run in and wait their turn to fight you - now they'll choose between (for example) trying to flank the player, hanging back and launching projectile attacks, using longer-range hand-to-hand attacks, or getting close in for some dirty hand-to-hand brawling.

YaY! (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3904)

fneh
21st Jun 2003, 16:29
I remember seeing that interview on gamers.com a few weeks ago. I meant to tell everyone but there was nothing exciting there we didn't know already through chris

well that and the fact that I'm working my ass off at the moment and have very little time for my computer. I think it's about to have an affair with my girlfriend because I neglect it so much:)

ZelenGangrel
26th Jun 2003, 18:49
The way they describe the narratives makes me think what I thought of last night might be true.

Remember the door from the trailer? Raziel sees it as all new with a mural, Kain sees it as all burnt and destroyed before he knocks it down.

I think this may mean that Raziel will be travelling through one point in the past while Kain exists somewhere farther ahead of him in the timeline. So as Kain finds something, that has been changed or the like, Raziel will encounter it. And as Raziel discovers something, we will know what it means before Kain does.

Does that make any sense?

Zephonim
26th Jun 2003, 19:21
yeah i think i understand what you mean if raz removes some obstacle by(example) swimmng ahead in the level then in the future kain can bypass water should raziel cr4eate a bridge from the other side ,,:rolleyes: i think :D

Cynyc
1st Jul 2003, 01:45
Originally posted by Umah Bloodomen
I am a bit disappointed that Mike Peaslee wasn't mentioned alongside Jim and Kurt though.

Thanks!

So far, Jim is doing the game music for Defiance. I might contribute music, if needed at the end. Kurt is most likely going to be busy handling the music for Whiplash. I'm working on sound effects for Defiance at this very moment and on Whiplash down the road a little. I am working on game music, but that's all I'll say right now.

Also, I'll be finishing up some new Cynyc material and an EP for my band Stalking Tom later this summer. I'll throw out some mp3s when they're ready.

Umah Bloodomen
1st Jul 2003, 01:49
Originally posted by Cynyc
Thanks!

So far, Jim is doing the game music for Defiance. I might contribute music, if needed at the end. Kurt is most likely going to be busy handling the music for Whiplash. I'm working on sound effects for Defiance at this very moment and on Whiplash down the road a little. That's all I'll say right now.

Also, outside of Crystal, I'll be finishing up some new Cynyc material and an EP for my band Stalking Tom later this summer. I'll throw out some mp3s when they're ready.

Not a problem. ;)

You still deserved to have been mentioned. :D

I am looking forward to checking out your new material. I've liked what I've heard so far. Good luck with your endeavors!

Cynyc
1st Jul 2003, 01:51
thank ya kindly.

Lady Kreliana
1st Jul 2003, 01:59
I have faith in you guys. I have no doubts that Defiance's music is going to rock! :)

Chris@Crystal
1st Jul 2003, 17:22
Mike Peaslee's new Band Stalking Tom played at my house for Space Jam a few weeks ago, and they rocked! I would definately stay tuned for any music coming from this band.
~Chris
Crystal Dynamics

kain to raziel
1st Jul 2003, 23:52
So Kurt Harland isn't working on the music in Defiance? He is instead doing another game "Whiplash"? Hmmmmmm no Kurt Harland influence in Defiance .... thats a dissapointment!

Cynyc
2nd Jul 2003, 00:02
Kurt will probably be doing at least a little of it, but Jim's pretty damn good. I wouldn't worry too much.

Umah Bloodomen
2nd Jul 2003, 01:00
Originally posted by Cynyc
Kurt will probably be doing at least a little of it, but Jim's pretty damn good. I wouldn't worry too much.

I'm hardly worried. ;) All three of you are exceptionally talented individuals. Does Jim do any side-project work at all, or does he simply stick to game-related work?