PDA

View Full Version : Square Enix, drop the charade of putting time travel in Final Fantasy. That's what Chrono is for.

ZyzxxInfinity
9th Jun 2012, 00:26
The thread title speaks for itself.

I hope someone in Square Enix is lurking on these message boards, and will listen to what the fans are waiting for.

If it were up to me, I'd sacrifice the FF series in order to revive older series that have long since collected dust. The Chrono series is one of them.

Square Enix had enough balls to put a cease-and-desist on Chrono Ressurection (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrono_Resurrectio... (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrono_Resurrection)), a FAN-MADE TRIBUTE GAME, and yet couldn't take the hint and make the remake (or a sequel) themselves.

C'mon Square Enix. Get it together.

tiaeltaru
9th Jun 2012, 00:41
Oh, time travel, which has had some essence in Final Fantasy since the original with the whole time loop and traveling through it to defeat Chaos?

Time compression (kompression) in VIII, time travel in XIII-2.

Automaton
9th Jun 2012, 01:25
You could count X as well with Tidus "supposedly" getting sent forward in time, but those that played it know what that is really about.

member_10000903
9th Jun 2012, 01:32
I agree, though I don't think it's as obvious as you may think it appears to be. Sure, some of the Final Fantasy games feature an element of chronological deterrence, but that's mostly because it makes for an interesting story, but that's not really what made Chrono great. I mean, the universe of the Chrono series was the best part. I mean, you had Lavos, the Time Egg, the legacy of the characters, Mitsuda's music...

As much as I like Final Fantasy XIV, I wish they would move some of the staff to work on a new Chrono game even if it meant waiting a few years for another solid entry.

ZyzxxInfinity
9th Jun 2012, 01:36
Apparently what I was getting at went right over Tlael's and Orichalcum+'s head. Nice work, you two.

Automaton
9th Jun 2012, 01:54
Yeah, it did go over slightly. Mentioning FF was a bit of a trap, since I have way more experience with that series than Chrono Trigger, which I've played but not finished (not even close).

What I did get of CT was that I only scratched the surface of something expansive. A new game like that, especially with the Chrono series stamp on it, would be a good thing.

Copedw25
9th Jun 2012, 03:44
CT was a great game. Still is every once in awhile. I never played Chrono Cross, a sequel that came out on the PS1 in the late 90's. But as far as another sequel, I just read something mentioned about a Chrono game, called Chrono Bind I think. I saw it somewhere and mentioned it to a friend who loved the series when we were kids. That was just this week actually that I saw it and sent him the text. I for one haven't looked into it, but will after this post, as I'm kinda' interested now.

Copedw25
9th Jun 2012, 03:53
CT was a great game. Still is every once in awhile. I never played Chrono Cross, a sequel that came out on the PS1 in the late 90's. But as far as another sequel, I just read something mentioned about a Chrono game, called Chrono Bind I think. I saw it somewhere and mentioned it to a friend who loved the series when we were kids. That was just this week actually that I saw it and sent him the text. I for one haven't looked into it, but will after this post, as I'm kinda' interested now.

www.ign.com/wikis/final-fantasy-xiii-2/C... (http://www.ign.com/wikis/final-fantasy-xiii-2/Chrono_Bind)

And...nevermind. Didn't realize XIII-2 had that game in it. I just bought Snow and Lightning's DLC. Didn't bother with the rest. Chrono Bind is just a card game in 13.

Persiangato
9th Jun 2012, 04:34
What are your thoughts on time travel being in Kingdom Hearts?

tiaeltaru
9th Jun 2012, 09:37
Apparently what I was getting at went right over Tlael's and Orichalcum+'s head. Nice work, you two.

No, not necessarily, I'll post what I did in another thread.

More like it wouldn't be what it was since they wouldn't be able to get the "Dream Team" back together anyways.

You can want it all you want, but it's probably not going to happen.

As much as I want a new Chrono game, it doesn't look likely.

destruction7
20th Apr 2013, 02:19
Chrono Cross Was a real fun game most important rapid content!.

shrugo
28th May 2013, 13:38
What most people don't seem to get is that the "Time Travel" in Chrono Trigger is just a way to make a larger world map to explore by splitting it up in to different "Times" to save on memory as well as the time it would take to design a massive map.
Time Travel in Chrono Trigger is a clever trick and not truly as central to the game in terms of mechanics as it might seem. Even in the narrative it's not REALLY all that important, though at first glance it might seem like it is.

kadosho
16th Dec 2013, 08:45
I have to be honest, I miss traditional storytelling with rpgs as of late. Using time as a crutch hurts a game even more. With Trigger and Cross, it was a mechanic that was used for a reason. Just feels abused lately, hope there are fresh ideas to add new directions.