PDA

View Full Version : Name relations.

WhitePrism
2nd May 2013, 06:26
Anyone else find it strange that two male characters in Kingdom Hearts have the same names as two female characters in the Final Fantasy series? Terra and Riku: Terra from Final Fantasy VI, and Rikku from Final Fantasy X? I just found that kinda odd, just never thought to bring it up until now. Maybe it's because Tetsuya Nomura worked in those other games too you think? ( Monster designer in Final Fantasy VI and character designer in X if some people didn't know.)

DerekMaverick
2nd May 2013, 13:43
It's pure coincidence. Terra's Japanese name was actually Tina, not Terra, so who we English speakers know as Terra, Tetsuya knows as Tina. As with Rikku, her name doesn't have any extra meaning because there are two K's.

UltimaCronos
2nd May 2013, 19:05
Yeah, the reason for Terra, Ventus, and Aqua's naming is from the latin translations of the elements they represent.

Terra-Land/Earth
Aqua-Water
Ventus-Wind
Vanitas-Vanity

So it's just coincidence like DerekMaverick said.

DerekMaverick
2nd May 2013, 19:15
And as WILLIAM said for Terra, Ventus, and Aqua's names also applies to Sora, Riku, and Kairi.

Riku- derived from Japanese for land

Sora- derived from Japanese for sky

Kairi- derived from Japanese for sea

WhitePrism
3rd May 2013, 23:25
I already knew all those things, but thanks for replying guys. I was just curious why Nomura kept the same language formats: I guess I should've worded it that way. I always thought of Nomura as a deep thinker, connecting all his characters together with a hidden meaning.