PDA

View Full Version : Deus Ex the movie in the works...

Simmons
5th Jun 2003, 23:08
i'm sure everyone has heard about it?

TheTrooper
6th Jun 2003, 02:20
I always thought of what a DX movie would be like. The game's presentation and plot are very cinematic. The biggest, and only, roadblock would of course be translating such an open-ended video game into a movie with a specific and linear plot line. Anybody who pulls this off without making it into the next Super Mario Bros. should be considered among the greatest all-time filmmakers.

terrymx
23rd Jun 2003, 02:01
the problem is the director will be the same guy who direct spiderman, that can lead into a bad direction, i dont want it to be another arnold s. hollywood movie. there is rarely good game movies. there is also the half-life movie to talk about.

Simmons
23rd Jun 2003, 14:33
the director will be the same guy who direct spiderman

he will!!!!

oooh, nooo!! that sucks! just like Spiderman did...

where'd you hear this?

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
24th Jun 2003, 15:34
http://us.imdb.com/Title?0365118

by the wway, I think it will be the same producer, the director hasn't been chosen yet

WSimons
24th Jun 2003, 19:26
I can't wait!! I'm definitely seeing that!! I don't care who directs or produces it!!

Cerpin Taxt
28th Jun 2003, 16:17
if Sam Raimi is directing DX:Tha Movie, I'm going to kill myself.

WSimons
28th Jun 2003, 16:25
Originally posted by Cerpin Taxt
if Sam Raimi is directing DX:Tha Movie, I'm going to kill myself.

That just shows how loyal you are to Deus Ex.

[SYN] Nexus
28th Jun 2003, 22:44
I will go to see this movie anyways even if its directed by the same guy that did spiderman.I hated spiderman, I think the wachowski bros should take this project after The Matrix Revolutions.Now that would be awesome.What actors do you guys want in the movie?

Cerpin Taxt
29th Jun 2003, 02:22
you've seen my dedication to Deus Ex, mister. You've read the script. That's taken like an hour per page, approximately. So, I don't think it's a measurement of my dedication to Deus Ex, rather, it's a measurement of my dislike of Sam Raimi. Keep in mind, when I was younger, I actually liked him. Then I realized how ****ing cheezy his directing style is. It works ok in a superhero environment (although its still kind of cheezy) but in Deus Ex, it wouldn't work at all. JC would shoot someone, and that person would like fly 10 meters. It makes no sense.

oh yeah, and IMDB (http://us.imdb.com/Title?0365118) does not say he's directing it. Thank God. These are, I assume, rumors, and wrong ones at that.

[edit] okay, I wouldn't kill myself. I'd see it too. but I'd have huge misgivings about it, and wouldn't be surprised if it turned out bad. but if it was good I'd have renewed hopes for Spider Man 2 (plus a kick ass Deus Ex movie).

WSimons
29th Jun 2003, 03:11
Okay you have good points there.

Simmons
29th Jun 2003, 07:19
i agree about Sam.... and Spiderman totally sucked.
as for the Wachowski brothers, no way. Especially after what they did with Reloaded, half that movie was fight scenes, and the rest didn't flow into them either. it sucked compared to the first, which is still a far cry away from Deus Ex.
Deus Ex, made properly into a movie would be way more involoving, suspenseful, with a moving plot, well built characters, and everything a great movie could use. Matrix just took us from here to there to there.
Deus Ex has a real story.
i cant wait to see how they ruin that movie.

Cerpin Taxt
29th Jun 2003, 07:23
actually, half of the Matrix2 WASN'T fight scenes - and that's my big ish. with it. Everyone's like "OH **** CRAZY FIGHT SCENES LET'S GOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" and we go and it's Trinity & Neo ****ing in an elevator.

............. way to go Hollywood. :rolleyes:

Simmons
29th Jun 2003, 08:15
:D

you're so right!!! i forgot about all THat!!!
well, it only adds to my point.
we don;t want to see JC ****ink with Anna, or even Maggie.

Nicolette, however... ;)

nah, wouldn't fit. there's a world to save, and sex isn't for Deus Ex. though, when you look at it..... deusex...... (it's late)

anyways, Cerpin, glad to see you're up, i have something to tell you, in your DX1 script thread....

Cerpin Taxt
29th Jun 2003, 17:05
hahaha sorry man, I figured everyone else had gone to bed so I stopped checking the board! You can always count on me being up til 3am or later though. :)

I don't know about you, but a ton of my friends always made jokes about it being "do sex" (not day-us ex) ... for a little while it was funny, but it just became another eye-rolling joke from my stupid friends.

[SYN] Nexus
30th Jun 2003, 20:51
I think the wachowski bros would do a good job, however there is a risk that there will be a lot of shooting.I would prefer a lot of talking and a lot of action but not a lot of fighting.

As long as they dont let a guy like George Lucas make it Im safe :)

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
3rd Jul 2003, 12:23
maybe Peter Jackson, ala Braindead.

(just joking, you can breath)

[SYN] Nexus
3rd Jul 2003, 22:53
I just found the best director for the movie.This may seem like a very weird choice but Im sure he would make it a very coo movie.
Sam Mendez (American Beauty, Road to Perdition)

WSimons
5th Jul 2003, 22:10
Or maybe Mel Brooks, YEAH!! Haha just kidding!!

bonemachine149
14th Jul 2003, 18:35
Do you think the original musical compositions from the game will be used in the film? Can you imagine how good those tunes will sound when performed by a full orchestra? Granted, there is a certain cheesy charm to the lo-fi techno versions that are in the game, but just think of it...

Uh-oh, it just occured to me... What if they get Tim Burton to direct and Danny Elfman to score... Noooooo!:eek:

bonemachine149
14th Jul 2003, 18:38
Originally posted by WSimons
Or maybe Mel Brooks, YEAH!! Haha just kidding!!

BTW - ROFL. Deus Ex: Blazing NanoAugs.

Actually, I also think Sam Mendez would be great...

Cerpin Taxt
14th Jul 2003, 21:25
Originally posted by bonemachine149
Do you think the original musical compositions from the game will be used in the film? Can you imagine how good those tunes will sound when performed by a full orchestra? Granted, there is a certain cheesy charm to the lo-fi techno versions that are in the game, but just think of it...

Since you brought it up,...

To prove JUST how obsessed I am with this game, I not only wrote out the entire script, but I recorded, edited, and remastered all the songs from Deus Ex. 3 discs of music - almost 4 hours - sitting on my harddrive. :D

Just thought you all should know.

jungernaut
19th Jul 2003, 04:13
how about Tim Burton? Batman 1 was the best--a great movie. He also did Planet of the Apes, though...

Big Ragu
19th Jul 2003, 06:28
Danny Davito?

Actually, I think Steven Spielburg. He seems to take ideas and work them well. Jurassic Park was a book, so was Jaws, and he made those classics. Perhaps if he can take ideas like those and place them on the screen so well, Im a sure that he could do it with a game.

bonemachine149
20th Jul 2003, 00:41
Originally posted by Big Ragu
Actually, I think Steven Spielburg. He seems to take ideas and work them well.

I think that both Spielberg and Burton would be wrong for this. While they've both directed some fine films, I don't think either would properly capture the future-noir edginess inherent to DX. They both have a sort of polished and easily accessible comic-book approach in most of their work.

Actually... no joke... I think David Lynch would be the ultimate choice! (think original Dune). Man, that would be a dream come true. His obsessive attention to detail and quirky style would help the film stand apart from other Sci Fi films and avoid falling in the shadow of the Matrix. As long as Toto and Angelo Badalamenti stays away from the score. Maybe get Trent Reznor again...

The very best director would actually be... us! Ever thought of making a DX movie using the game engine? It wouldn't be too hard to record a bunch of raw footage to DV as you play, then edit it together for a 2 hour 1st person movie. You could turn off the music while playing, and then have the freedom of adding the music duriing editing. C'mon Cerpin, how can you resist?

Big Ragu
20th Jul 2003, 02:51
Yeah, we call upon you Cerpin, Lord of Deus Ex Script, to expand your goodness to a Deus Ex in-game movie.:D

[SYN] Nexus
20th Jul 2003, 08:31
LOL, go for it Cerpix!

Jerre
20th Jul 2003, 09:06
There's only one thing i hope: I hope the crew,the cast and anybody that is envolved in the DX movie has played the game. Otherwise i fear that it isn't going to be the movie that it should be.

Visit this http://www.macdeusex.cjb.net/

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
22nd Jul 2003, 09:24
hmmm Ridley Scott, maybe? Blade Runner wasn't too bad.
(although he did Gladiator... ok forget it)

Jerre
23rd Jul 2003, 17:08
What's wrong with gladiator??? I also thought about Ridley Scott.

Big Ragu
23rd Jul 2003, 17:14
I thought Gladiator was great.

:confused:

[SYN] Nexus
23rd Jul 2003, 21:40
Gladiator was great as well as Black Hawk Down but not really Ridley Scott style I think.By the way he is unrealistic.

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
24th Jul 2003, 08:10
I didn't like Gladiator, personally (I guess you understood that)

like [SYN] Nexus said, It wasn't really like the Ridley Scott I wanted to see

I guess I had certain expectations, and they weren't fulfilled

Jerre
24th Jul 2003, 13:38
Well yes maby gladiator wasn't a ridley film but you can't say THELMA AND LOUISE wasn't great...

cball05
27th Jul 2003, 22:30
If a movie was made, they would have to either:
1) shorten the game, taking out lots of side missions
2) only slightly shorten the game and make 2-3 movies out of it.

What do you guys think is the better option? I'd love to see all the missions included, but since the game certainly takes more than a couple of hours to beat (anyone know how long it is?) i don't think that they could use all of cerpin's 165 page script, beautiful as it is.

talley
28th Jul 2003, 17:59
personally, i'd like christian bale to be JC. he was fantastic in Equilibrium(2002), although he gotta work on the voice and his jaws needs to be puffed up a little to get a square-like jaw.

Andrewd0
31st Jul 2003, 19:57
Parts of Deus Ex were sort of like little tributes to movies such as The Matrix (the subway station, for instance), but the trouble with the Wachowski(sp) brothers is that they simply can't get enough of themselves. While Deus Ex made subtle references to various philosophies, politics, and even literature, it was all done *extremely* well in the context of the game and came off very mature and intellectual, instead of pretentious, nonsensical and annoying (*cough* Matrix Reloaded *cough*).

I doubt any director could make this movie the way each of us would like to see it - I only hope that they keep the game's developers in the loop to prevent it getting off track. Deus Ex was about a hell of a lot more than just secret agents, world domination, and nanotechnology. As long as the director keeps that in mind it should be fine. The trouble is that Hollywood may find it convenient or profitable to reduce it to a mere action movie, conspiracy movie, etc. or the director (no matter who it is) may try to make it something all his own about god-knows-what (if he makes it about anything at all.. heaven forbid it become another movie that can't even justify its own existence).

All that said, I would like to see this made by the guy who directed Bourne Identity or - as someone else mentioned - Road to Perdition. Both are good directors with style, but whose directing doesn't get in the way of the movies.

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
1st Aug 2003, 06:56
do you think they will keep the skills and aug systems in the movie?

SoloX2
2nd Aug 2003, 09:26
i think the guy that directed Equilibrium should direct Deus Ex. When i frist saw the trailer for that movie for the first 5 seconds i thought it was the Deus Ex movie lol. If you see the movie you will see it has a close atmosphere of what Deus Ex has the story develops nicely with fighting scenes placed at appropriate times. If they do make Deus Ex movie i cant wait to see the battle of Walton Simons against JC they just have to include this. augs for Walton Simons are already identified i think all of you have found the paper that tells you about his augs. It would be cool to see JC with the targeting mod and he could locate Walton when he cloaks he could also use the infared with sonar aug. Another one has to be the bullet resist aug which would be cool. When he gets hit his skin would light up like you know from Red Faction 2 and the nano enchanced soldiers that would be nice effect.

cball05
3rd Aug 2003, 22:26
A good intro to the movie would be a training exercise in which JC tests out his augs - but then would you have to worry about biocells, etc., or would you just let JC have infinite bioenergy?

SoloX2
4th Aug 2003, 00:10
Well this would be cool. If when he has no more energy on his augs he would get weak. Since the aug is part of him and they need energy just how walton simons keeps his augs at 100 percent all the time and he has problems he asks the docotor and he says not too keep himself at 100 percent all the time anyway. they could this when his trying to save his brother paul. He could be fighthing and using all his power and onces it finishes he can still walk and stuff but he just feels a little bit weak or he could just be exhausted really exhausted.

cball05
4th Aug 2003, 00:36
Cool scene idea - JC is using the cloak aug and walking past 20 guys when suddenly his energy runs out and he has to whip out his guns and run! I've been in this situation before, and it's been pretty cool...

SoloX2
4th Aug 2003, 01:05
I just thought up good idea. Lets say he has bullet resistance aug and healing aug. he could be in france already and just had a small skirmish with some gaurds then he find nicole duclare. okay lets say he hasnt been using his augs that much also only the ones that drain a little bit of power but in that last skirmish he went up against 2 of those mech gaurds he took care of them but used his bullet resist aug enough to drain his power got hurt in the arm by bullets he only got bruised by the bullets and 1 or 2 actually penetrated the skin a little making him bleed. So now he is at duclare mansion place and you know in the movie they have to talk so they are looking at the rooms and stuff with nicole and then nicole sees that he is bleeding form his arm. She asks him about it and JC says that it is nothing he can heal it but is low on energy. Jc explains what a biocell is and she remembers that seeing her mom having one and locking it up in her safe. You quickly find the safe and JC finds the biocell he uses it and get fully charged then he turns on his heal aug and you see him heal like Wolverine from X-men but slower Wolverines healing factor is way better than a heal aug.

Florelle
11th Aug 2003, 16:04
Kurt Wimmer (Equilibirum) would be my choice. Sure the script was little weak but the direction of that film was great. He really knows how to use light, sapce and shadow, which I would be pretty essential for a Deus Ex movie...