PDA

View Full Version : Extracting video from FMs, and permission

bravus
2nd Jun 2003, 15:31
Hi All

I'm presenting at the Banff Television Festival next week (it's a tough life!), and one of the things I plan to talk about is the possibilities that are held out for educational gaming by things like the FM community. I want to show off some of the extremely cool things that have been done.

The one I have in mind particularly is that FM I played a while ago that starts with a fly-around of a massive cathedral. I have two questions:

1. Does anyone know how to extract the video from the FM so it can be shown as a .mov or .mpg or an .avi?

2. Can you recall who made the mission, so I can ask his/her permission to show a segment at the conference?

It could also be that the maker has the video available in a format that would work better for my purposes...

OK, I'm off to play Unreal Tournament and Theivery this morning to capture some demos for the conference (It's a tough life!)

Bravus

ChristineS
2nd Jun 2003, 16:09
I think you mean "Hallucinations", made by Frobber.

That fly around the cathedral is no movie, it is a mission.

bravus
2nd Jun 2003, 16:13
OK, yeah, I think I knew that about the mission - and the fact that you can look around etc while flying. I should change the question to 'can I extract a movie *from* that?' In other words, some games like Quake and Unreal Tournament allow you to 'film' a demo and extract it - does Thief?

Thanks for the info on Frobber, Christine - I'll try to get in contact with him.

Bravus

Komag
2nd Jun 2003, 20:23
Nothing about Thief lets you do that, but you can have some other software on your computer that can do that, at an extreme tax to your system resources. I've never done it, just heard of it.

Or just point a good digital camcorder at the screen!

Or have a video card with tv out and run the AV into the camcorder or VCR or something

Yandros
2nd Jun 2003, 22:46
Try Fraps (http://www.fraps.com/)

I haven't used it yet but it may do the trick.

bravus
2nd Jun 2003, 22:55
I've been playing around with a number of screencap solutions, and none of them have been very successful. I'm trying out the suggestion of FRAPs, but if it doesn't work the camcorder idea is getting close to the top of the list! Not sure if it will get that striping effect, but we'll see... It would have the advantage that I can put everything from every game into Quicktime in one movie for my presentation...

Will report back, in case anyone else wants gameplay movies.

Bravus

bravus
3rd Jun 2003, 01:25
Thanks Yandros, FRAPS is *awesome*. Try it, everyone (you'll need lots of hard drive space, though...)

This will enable me to capture absolutely everything, including some web-based stuff, I think, that I was worried about, and turn it (I think) into one 15 minute Quicktime movie that fills a CD (high quality) for my talk.

Thanks again,

Bravus

Yandros
4th Jun 2003, 14:59
No, thank you for giving it a test run for me! I found it recently and thought it might be useful for creating a breifing movie using actual in-game footage pieced togerther with fades etc. But I hadn't had time to check it out yet.... thanks!

thief0
17th Jun 2003, 20:37
my problem with fraps(video capture thing) is that the avi file doesn't get stored anywhere. i press the record button then press it again to stop it(while playing thief), then when i check the the fraps directory folder, the avi file isn't there. are there any properties or settings i need to change in thief or the fraps program? (i'm sure that video capture is enabled and there is a hotkey for it.) if you want to know, i have at least 7 GB free space of my HD.

please HELP!

theBlackman
17th Jun 2003, 20:43
Originally posted by thief0
my problem with fraps(video capture thing) is that the avi file doesn't get stored anywhere. i press the record button then press it again to stop it(while playing thief), then when i check the the fraps directory folder, the avi file isn't there. are there any properties or settings i need to change in thief or the fraps program? (i'm sure that video capture is enabled and there is a hotkey for it.) if you want to know, i have at least 7 GB free space of my HD.

please HELP!

1. Do a FIND or SEARCH for *.AVI
2. Check the ones you find, if you are in thief, it may show up in the thief folder.
3. Use the Fraps help for file/folder info.
4. Check MY DOCUMENTS. Win frequently uses it as a stash all, and if you have XP look in My Pictures.

thief0
18th Jun 2003, 00:14
:mad: still, nothing works. 1st of all, i dont even think the fraps program is even working when i try to record. it shows no sign of recording.

fraps help? where is that?

btw, is there any other fraps-like program that can video capture?

please help!!!!!!!!!!

theBlackman
18th Jun 2003, 00:26
Originally posted by thief0
:mad: still, nothing works. 1st of all, i dont even think the fraps program is even working when i try to record. it shows no sign of recording.

fraps help? where is that?

btw, is there any other fraps-like program that can video capture?

please help!!!!!!!!!!

If FRAPS is in your PROGRAM menu, and if it has an UNINSTALL, do it.

If it is not in your program menu, then use ADD/REMOVE to uninstall it.

Re-install and try again. You may have a corrupted download, or a bad install.

thief0
18th Jun 2003, 00:38
i've tried uninstalling, reinstalling.
still, doesn't work.