PDA

View Full Version : New look vs. Old

ihrengott
31st May 2003, 09:10
Basically, based off the currently available screen shots for DX:IW i'm wondering if people think the new look is too surreal, too shiny, and worse than the original. I really liked the way DX1 looked and based off some of the screen shots i'm a bit turned off by the near Doom 3 shiny texture look. Wondering if i'm alone here . . .

ihrengott
31st May 2003, 09:16
Oh yeah, heres a few links to screenshots if you haven't seen any yet

http://www.deusex.com/content_home.htm#

http://news.gaminghorizon.com/media/1048656797.html

http://www.pcgameworld.com/screenthumb.php/game/1587/Deus_Ex:_Invisible_War/

http://www.gamespy.com/games/875.shtml

sean74
31st May 2003, 09:33
I think I get what you're saying. The screenshots do look a bit more colorful and brighter than the original. More use of the primary colors with an overall more "cartoony" look to it. Seems though this type of look and feel to games are more popular anymore. UT2k3 did something similiar and even with the better textures I still prefer the dingy, drab look that the original DX had.

I'm guessing they've done their research though and that there must be some goofy majority out there that are so fixated on cartoons that they dig this look better :)

ihrengott
31st May 2003, 10:34
yeah, but it still almost looks too 3D like to the point of mocking reality where i'm afraid it just won't flow very well, like all the reactions to being shot or blown up will look almost cinematically scripted, i guess it doesn't matter too much, as long as the plot is still intelligent and intertwined with the gameplay . . . i hope

Leo
1st Jun 2003, 13:57
Has anybody played Quake 3 Arena? If they decide to turn DX2 into this I will not play it.

One cannot understand all the actions happening, only flashes and other stuff and after the action dies down you cannot see the health bar cuz it is too low [dead] :)

But I would do add one thing: it would be cool if the time would change, at night it would be dark as in DX 1 and during day i would not have to waste the light bioenergy [I hate the idea of limited light, it is just stupid, in Half Life the battery recharged] Will there be any nano-swords instead of light with greater radius? Nah, if person eats, he generates some bioenergy on its own, doesn't it? [I have watched Matrix movie too much lately]

sean74
1st Jun 2003, 15:09
Sounds like they could do night time/daylight transitions if they wanted to (dynamic lighting is in right?)

That would be kinda cool.

As for running out of power for the light, do it the cheap way like i do and crank up your gamma and brightness and turn night into day yourself! (gonna get flamed for that I'm sure)

GhostXL
2nd Jun 2003, 17:30
The first DX looked like **** and if the second looks like **** I couldn't care less, because it's the gameplay that count's.
And yes I do think DX:IW looks better than DX.:eek:

Sparhawk
2nd Jun 2003, 19:01
yeah, they might look a bit too colourfull, but wait till you have played the game and then look again :)
and who knows, Eidos might be peeking in here, so they can tweak stil ;)

Catman
2nd Jun 2003, 20:44
Actually, it would be Ion Storm that did the tweaking. ;)

ingosepbb
3rd Jun 2003, 11:14
I kinda like the screenshots, but do anyone know if there are any movies out with new gameplay? i'd like to see the new HUD in action

Neuromancer
5th Jun 2003, 19:01
Looking at the screenshots, I thought they had a rather nice Dune/ Blade Runner feel, making it all look very dark. As for the shinyness, it seems to be part of the process of advancing the graphics on that little bit further, as none of the next generation first person games seem to hav avoided it!

sean74
6th Jun 2003, 03:04
I don't think it's a matter of avoiding "shininess" I think it's a matter of everyone wants to emulate Quake3 and go for a cartoony look to get all the youngsters who want their graphics to look like Voltron. (er I guess they wouldn't be that young if their cartoon of choice was voltron.. nm :P )

NoNicknameForMe
6th Jun 2003, 03:21
C'mon people most the screenshots you're looking at are off the x-box which was made to be more saturated with color since tv's are kinda bland usualy.

Sajentine
6th Jun 2003, 03:40
Think the new look is quite nice. The only thing I can think of to make it better is to be able to set the brightness and/or transparency of the actuall hud. That way it would be less intrusive in the players field of vision.

NoNicknameForMe
6th Jun 2003, 06:22
There is an opacity slider to adjust the hud, it still sucks though.

Big Ragu
8th Jun 2003, 00:13
The interface looks to bright, enough to distract from what is going on in the game. The interface should accent the game, not take control of it. There was nothing wrong with the first interface, it was drab, yes, but it fit with the game. But since they are making this for consoles, they have to make everything bigger and simpler since the consolers are going to play from a TV without a keyboard. The best solution would still be to have a choice in the options, or just develope the PC version and the console version's interfaces differently.

sean74
8th Jun 2003, 04:55
Originally posted by Big Ragu
The best solution would still be to have a choice in the options, or just develope the PC version and the console version's interfaces differently.

Exactly!

Damn console users. What the hell do people have to do to PC games to just kill those stupid consoles altogether? And if you don't have the time or resources to do both a console and a pc version of a game, pick one (pc) and do it right! don't weaken the PC game to make porting to the stupid consoles easier.

My last console was a "super-nintendo". You know why? Cause I got my first PC and I never touched a console game again.

Big Ragu
8th Jun 2003, 18:53
To talk more about the "shineness" of the game, the developers most likely feel that they have to keep on top of the technological mountain. With games like Half-life 2 and DOOM 3 coming out, Ion Storm probably thinks that if they add a bunch of bells and whistles to the game (new interface) that people would be more attracted to the game.

But, the important thing is to keep the aspects of what made Deus Ex such a hit. The variety of gameplay and an awesome storyline.

NoNicknameForMe
9th Jun 2003, 02:25
Why cant they just include a $5 black and white LCD monocle you plug into the USB and whallah perfect hud.

(Yea i got into the crack agian, leave me alone.)

Big Ragu
9th Jun 2003, 04:00
That would be a little more than 5 bucks, but actually that would be pretty cool to have a seperate monitor for inventory.

sean74
9th Jun 2003, 04:03
More games could use support for 2 monitors. I made the mistake of hooking up both of my 19" monitors to the same computer and now I've gotten used to it and can't go back.. single monitor's are for the technically unenlightened.

MIBman
9th Jun 2003, 04:21
Don't take teh still screenshots for reference. A lot of the weirdness you see is because the texture's are bumpmapped. When you see it in action in say a video it looks waaay better. Look at the wrinkles on one of those characters faces and imagine the light playing with it. The lighting effects are waay better than in Half-Life 2 okay. Maybe the characters look a bit more surreal but the environment plays with the light to make everything look authentic

Big Ragu
9th Jun 2003, 04:21
And for the cheap.

NoNicknameForMe
9th Jun 2003, 20:54
Stupid poor cheep people...

Big Ragu
9th Jun 2003, 23:04
Cheap is spelled ch"ea"p, not ch"ee"p. Look who can't spell.

NoNicknameForMe
9th Jun 2003, 23:35
I'm too cheep to spell correctally, kid.

Cerpin Taxt
16th Jun 2003, 18:53
I was staring at the sky last night. The sky in DX1 that is. After staring at it for about 10 seconds I realized it was just shifting grey-scale with a wallpaper checkerboard background. I swear to God the graphics in DX:IW will own DX1 ;)

sean74
16th Jun 2003, 23:48
yeah the quality of the sky in DX1 varies greatly with your video quality settings. My video card at the time I first got Deus Ex was a ATI Radeon AIW and I had to play the game with 16 bit colors :(

Now though I'm cranking everything up to and playing at 1152x864 instead of 1024x768 (wish they offered 1280x1024) might try giving 1600x1200 a try too, but i really have no tolerance for a game dropping below 30fps

FliX
17th Jun 2003, 10:53
i think the problem is similar to DoomIII everything looks as if its laminated :rolleyes:

Cerpin Taxt
17th Jun 2003, 18:41
Yeah, my computer owns DX1 in terms of graphics power.

Games are looking a little more "laminated" but I think one part of it is they're adding a lot more colors, but also things are just getting smoother. When I played the D3 Alpha, it didn't feel laminated at all - just really fscking smoothe. I think we have to wait and see what kind of atmosphere the game has before we run around and claim they're making everything too glossy. :p

Loreleye
27th Jun 2003, 16:29
One thing that I hope is better in DX:IW is that when I move, I wanna move more like in Quake 3 arena, I think the way I moved in Deus ex was a bit too stiff! Though I thinkt that the gameplay and story wont have to be any difference for that case!
I think that the HUD is perfect, it is futuristic, and it aint to shiny. Imaging that moving, and a bit bigger than on the screensshots! It wont get in the way, at least not more than the last did. I think that the litte box in the top in the first game was in the way sometimes! i was sometimes shot by people standing in my dead angles! And then I aint talkin about from behind or from the sides, but from behind tha HUD!
So a transaparent HUD is better, So do I think though!

I think that the game cant loose any of it aspects from the first, though I want a bit more freedom then I got in the first. Take the GTA games, that is freedom if you ask me. >Though I would love to get able too walk into buildings<
Of course you cant create aerias that big for every place you go in DX:IW, but a bit more options than in the first game, And too say, I hate to come to doors that is not just locked, it is closed. I cant ever go into them. Becose they did not make the room behind it! Then I said that they have to create the whole world, but hey, get some limits, but More open doors, and more freedom and space.
Not enemies all over the place, that was something I loved whit the first game!
Actually I think it sometimes where too many enemies, and none civilian. And onething, Get the follks to do something, not walking from the wall to the other in a bar, but they actually goes from one point to another for a reason, not just to make it look more alive!
I got tired of writing, i could have said how I have the game into it every details, but I doesnt got the time, so long!

crimson_stallion
9th Jul 2003, 08:12
I just saw a bigg movie of half life 2...about 30 mins teaser. That game looks like it will be absolutely amazing in terms of physics, pgraphics, animations and the like. Hopefully DE:IW will do a decent job on graphics. I don't expect it to be on half life 2 level, and would prefer gameplay over graphics, but still...and lots of little things that you can interact with. For e.g. the basketball court in the original on top of the hong kong mj12 facility was a killer. (anyone actually get to score in that?)

protocode
11th Jul 2003, 03:59
I think that graphics of DE:IW are great. However, the animations of the newer things (i.e. what they changed the multi-tool "radio signal" ot a orange spark) leave much to change. To me the new style of animations that go witht the gadgets are very cartoon like.

AlphaAssailant666
11th Jul 2003, 19:42
I dont like change usually but keep the graphics if they must. I just want my hud back with augs on side items on bottom and the "F#" buttons for inventory etc. Hopefully its true you have an option becuase i dont want to look like im a robot. And another thing... whats with changing the names like augs-biopods or whatever. Anyway besides thate i think this game will still own if they keep the Story great with having your actions have different consequences and a interactive world.

Lawnboy360
11th Jul 2003, 22:36
However, the animations of the newer things (i.e. what they changed the multi-tool "radio signal" ot a orange spark) leave much to change.

Lead programmer Chris Carollo said on Ion Storm's board that effects/models are not definitive, and more specifically, the final multitool effect will not be a big glowing spark thing.

Adema1983
21st Jul 2003, 06:48
Originally posted by sean74
Exactly!

Damn console users. What the hell do people have to do to PC games to just kill those stupid consoles altogether? And if you don't have the time or resources to do both a console and a pc version of a game, pick one (pc) and do it right! don't weaken the PC game to make porting to the stupid consoles easier.

My last console was a "super-nintendo". You know why? Cause I got my first PC and I never touched a console game again.

Geesh man, grow up. Let people play what they enjoy on what they enjoy.