PDA

View Full Version : Story Continuation

WSimons
30th May 2003, 15:56
From which of the 3 endings of the first Deus Ex does Invisible War continue?

NoNicknameForMe
30th May 2003, 16:23
Even if i knew i wouldn't tell you.

sean74
30th May 2003, 16:56
NoNicknameForMe = troll

I haven't seen anything talking about which of the endings their continuing from yet either.. Is this being kept secret for some reason? or have I just not read the right article yet?

WSimons
30th May 2003, 17:01
I'm thinking it will be the dark age ending. That would make sense to me. Because how else would "...the world is just beginning to recover from catastrophic depression." make sense?

sean74
30th May 2003, 17:17
ah yeah, that makes sense. I'm hoping that's the ending they're using for the movie too. I'd prefer the grim feeling of that one to the "lawnmower man"ish one or the "joining the dark side" one.

NoNicknameForMe
30th May 2003, 20:41
Originally posted by sean74
NoNicknameForMe = troll

Why thank you, sean74.

WSimons
30th May 2003, 21:07
Wow people are so nice here!

sean74
31st May 2003, 08:40
Originally posted by sean74
NoNicknameForMe = troll

It was in response to this:

Originally posted by NoNicknameForMe
Even if i knew i wouldn't tell you.
I'm sure there are legitimate reasons for not wanting to tell someone if you did know, maybe it would be a spoiler, or maybe they're intentionally keeping it secret to keep their options open, but without listing some kind of reason your post comes off as trollish.

And,
You're welcome. :)

Leo
1st Jun 2003, 14:11
Could someone tell me where Alex D comes from, if the world is so damaged, does someone know this ... like, even better technology is used, someone poverful enough made Alex as a pet project, supersoldier for security in the big chaos?

sean74
1st Jun 2003, 15:16
You know how JC and Paul are test-tube babies? Alex is one too. And it sounds like the nano-augs are far more common 15 years in the future.. people are selling black-market augs in DX:IW that do some cool stuff. Heard something about a drone that saps life or power or something from your victims.. sounds gruesome and cool :)

(update: fixed some speling erors :p )

WSimons
2nd Jun 2003, 04:22
Alex is a test-tube baby? Cool! How do you know?

TheDerf
2nd Jun 2003, 05:15
Dude, play the end of the game again.

Theres a part where you see a few chambers where the babies are grown. In front of each chamber, there is a datapad... if it's called a datapad. One of the datapads say Alex Denton. Another one says John Travolta.:p

WSimons
2nd Jun 2003, 17:03
Oh yeah I know that part. But the only empty tube is the one that says JC Denton.

Sparhawk
2nd Jun 2003, 19:05
good question, dunno where the game starts... maybe it's time they have an chat session so we can fire some questions at Eidos

and of course ppl are nice in here...we all love dx hehe

WSimons
2nd Jun 2003, 23:18
Speaking of endings, what was you guys' favorite ending of the first game?

sean74
3rd Jun 2003, 03:16
My favorite ending is the grim one. Where JC destroys area 51 and sends the world back into a technological stone-age :)

That's also the one I hope they choose to base the movie on.

Deus Ex the movie: http://us.imdb.com/Title?0365118

TheDerf
3rd Jun 2003, 03:23
The Tracer Tong ending is my favorite too. After that one, I did the Illuminati one. Then, I did the Helios one. I'd hate to think that JC is some kind of god.

That IMDB page says that Deus Ex is coming out in 2004. I read somewhere that SpiderMan is coming out 2004. I also read that Deus Ex was being directed by the same crew that did SpiderMan. Multitasking is down with me.

*EDIT* Laura Ziskin is producing 3 movies that will come out the same year. 2004. She works hard for the money. Jeez, and she also did some of my favorite movies.

bk2000
3rd Jun 2003, 03:23
i think the most likely nding that this game comes from is if you kill page and jion the illuminati. i mean, i keep hearing about a new group in the game called the "knights templar" which if you didn't know is an older name for the iluminati. the group they came out of actually. it can't be the "new dark age" ending. how will they justify all the new nanotechnology if all the computers don't work anymore? oh well, that's my 2 cents worth anyway.

p.s. it would definitely be interesting if they use the "helios" ending...

TheDerf
3rd Jun 2003, 03:30
The computers work... Theres just no communication going on. Ever. Ion Storm could easily work with the Illuminati ending. One thing I'm wondering about that ending and its relation to DX2 is what happens if I killed Lucius DeBeers? (I hope I spelled that right.) If you don't know who I'm talking about, play the part right before Area 51 again, look around more carefully.

sean74
3rd Jun 2003, 03:49
Fifteen years following the events depicted in the multi-award winning Deus Ex, the world is just beginning to recover from catastrophic depression.

That's a quote from www.deusex.com about DX:IW, it sounds like they're using the New Dark Age ending to build the sequel off of.

The Helios ending sounds too much like the lawnmower man to me.. I don't think it would get a great response from movie-goers.

bk2000
3rd Jun 2003, 06:25
well, that could be interpreted any of the three wasys. i mean things were pretty bad in the first DX; the world had pretty much nowhere to go but up if you know what i mean.

DarkForge
3rd Jun 2003, 19:44
I preferred the 'stone-age' ending. For me, it just came across as more exciting and dramatic. Of course, if the world really went back to the stone-age, why are there still computers and electronic devices present in the sequel? Ah who knows?

Btw, about the whole 'test tube' thing in Area 51: yes JC's was empty, and Alex's was filled. (Was there a tube for Paul as well, or am I just imagining that one?)

What I really want to know is - if following the 'stone-age' ending, how did Alex's tube manage to survive when the entire place exploded/demolished?

sean74
3rd Jun 2003, 23:24
Originally posted by DarkForge
What I really want to know is - if following the 'stone-age' ending, how did Alex's tube manage to survive when the entire place exploded/demolished?

Good point. I guess they didn't go with the "New Stone Age" ending, or they've got some serious explaining to do :)

jackliu239
4th Jun 2003, 03:19
I think by 90% chance the ending could be base on the illuminati ending. The title of the game is called Invisible War, and in the first game for many times Everett said about rule the world with an "invisible hand". So the way illuminati operates is based on indirect contact, which they keeps their secarty, and if conlflict broke out with illuminati the war will not be fought in the public's knowledge(WWI, WWII). But the war will still be important but it will be fought in invisible "Invisible War"

Also the illuminati ending's is take place where the game started.

The illuminati ending is the longest, most careful designed.

If in the DX:IW there could be many faction that trys to shape the world to their own desire, it could only mean that the gobal network in A51 survived. Since in the orginal game if Page control A51 he has everything, the same goes for illuminati.

If you played Tong's ending, I remember he will say, the net is going.... going.....JC is you survives came find us..... We will once again live in villages..... So if A51 is destoryed than humanity will be sepreated and live in small villages with their own small governmnets because we cannot contact each other, and there won't be any 1 group who can control the world. But in DX:IW there are many faction trying to control the world.

Also someone pointed out Alex Denton is in a camber in A51, I remember the camber is not far away from the reactor. So if A51 is gone so will be DX:IW's mean character.

I have more theory why the merge with Helo's ending won't work. But since I have typed all this so I'm tired now, but if you guys wants to hear about please let me know.

TheDerf
4th Jun 2003, 03:49
I also have a theory.

Methinks that Ion Storm will drop certain hints throughout DX2 to lead you to the conclusion that the first game ended a certain way. Like if you were talking to JC and he blurted something out on accident that sounded like it was Helios talking, or if you see people putting up telephone lines everywhere in response to a 15 year cut in communication. Etc. Etc. So in my theory, the end of Deus Ex will be revealed at the end of Deus Ex 2.

Wouldn't that be spiffy?

ikkyo
12th Jun 2003, 00:10
Ummm, I guess I'm in a minority in saying I kinda liked the "God" ending... :(

I think if eidos want to carry on from the original then they can only really do it from the "illuminati ending" because:

- Alex is part of some anti-terroist orginisation w/ lots of hi tech support (you aren't going to get that in a new dark age)

- Surely he died in podus in DX if you nuke A51??? (maybe I'm just being a bit simplistic?)

- The bumf talks about travelling the globe. If 15 years after a new dark age global travel is up to speed/ or there is a global network of anti-terrorist bods things are way better organised than now...

Maybe I'm just being a bit picky?:confused:

Igoe
14th Jun 2003, 01:59
I'm fairly certain they're going for the Illuminati ending. Alex was in a tube at A51, so the Tracer Tong one is out, and you're supposed to be able to meet JC in the second, so the Helios thing is out. The Illuminati ending is simple enough and leaves a lot more open for the sequel. I find it hard to belive the world is already in another technological war if JC had disabled ALL global communications, or if he was ruling as Helios. (I think he'd be able to detect the flow of nanotech, Helios has all access with the Aquinas)

What I would REALLY REALLY REALLY like to see is the continuation of the pods in the end of A51. There are 4 stasis pods in the spawning room, one for JC, but he was expunged. The other three contain Wade Walker (a clone of Bob Page) Nick Paulsback (a clone of Walton Simons) and Alex Denton, a clone of Paul and JC. If you could meet up with Wade and Paul in the game, I would be amazed. You could actually meet and track down the other nanoaugs for assitance. THAT would be cool.

Leo
14th Jun 2003, 05:15
I would like to have the augmented and already upgraded JC as an assistant

Joshman2105
17th Jun 2003, 00:18
In a review i read after E3 it said JC would remain as a type of mentor to Alex, and that Paul would be joining them also even if you failed to save him in DX1. JC is also supposed to be running his own organization to fight the government.

NoNicknameForMe
17th Jun 2003, 00:20
Highlander comes to mind...

ikkyo
17th Jun 2003, 11:37
Do you mean suspect accents and silly sword work or dubious plot devices? :D

Mens_Mentis
19th Jun 2003, 13:29
Originally posted by Joshman2105
In a review i read after E3 it said JC would remain as a type of mentor to Alex, and that Paul would be joining them also even if you failed to save him in DX1. JC is also supposed to be running his own organization to fight the government.

Wasn't Paul supposed to die anyway? I mean, you used the data stored in his body to help Tong deactivate the killswitch...

Anyway, for the ending thing, I kinda preferred the Helios merging, because if you all can remember, while JC was talking to Gary Savage in Area 51, he said that probably, if Helios merged with JC's mind, that wouldn't have been a bad government afterall(those are not his words,but this is the sense).
Plus, probably Helios (Icarus in that moment) was right: the Illuminati were just using JC to gain power again...

One last thing then I'm over cause I'm gettin tired,why couldn't we be JC?or Eidos could EVEN put in commerce an "upgrade" for DX 1 where all the player stats(augs n everything) were used to create JC in DX IW so you wouldn't have to get all the augs again...I know this is stupid, and economically, has no advantage for Eidos, but it's just a thought...:)

Leo
19th Jun 2003, 13:41
want to have JC back, eh? he he, I kina like the thing they decided not to have JC again, maybe because of the endings from DX 1, but Tracer Tong's ending is great.

On the second thought, Alex has better technology.

Mens_Mentis
19th Jun 2003, 13:49
Right, but I think that JC would beat Alex if they had to fight. To support this idea, do you remember the fight with Walter Simons where he said he had a more advanced firmware while you still blew him up(that's what I did, at least...:D).

Mens_Mentis
19th Jun 2003, 13:56
I think it would be cool if the game continue with JC merged with Helios.You would have a Godlike JC who would appear here and there in the game to help you...same with with the movie...It would be kinda 2001:A space Odissey (did anybody see it?),where you have that godlike child...same think:as Bob Page said before gettin fried in Area 51, he would become pure light...

BonT
19th Jun 2003, 14:03
I don't think that they will take a particulary ending. I expect that they continue in a world which could have had all 3 endings :D

BonT
19th Jun 2003, 14:06
In the PCZONE benulux they told that as dx:iw player you would be able to fight jc :D but jc is extreem strong ofcourse :P

Leo
19th Jun 2003, 14:36
why do u think JC is strong?! u even said extremely ..???

Mens_Mentis
19th Jun 2003, 14:38
why shouldn't he be strong? first of all, you were him in deus ex 1 and was pretty strong...

Joshman2105
19th Jun 2003, 15:24
I heard the game can go 2 ways, you can make friends with JC and he will help you, or you can become his enemy and fight him, i would rather jsut play JC myself when i read we werent it pissed me off

Mens_Mentis
19th Jun 2003, 15:39
Originally posted by Joshman2105
I heard the game can go 2 ways, you can make friends with JC and he will help you, or you can become his enemy and fight him, i would rather jsut play JC myself when i read we werent it pissed me off

Yeah, why shouldn't we be JC? I'm not so sure about the game anymore...XBox's fault!

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
19th Jun 2003, 15:50
yeah, why not take DX1, design a new box, and sell it as DX2? would save time (no need for new programming), money (at least for Eidos), and every diehard fan who be happy, since all the features they loved in the first one would still be here!!

maybe a reason would be that it wouldn't be a new game (doh!)

Leo
19th Jun 2003, 16:42
Looks like everybody loves JC, guess Deus Ex is nothing without him :)

Mens_Mentis
19th Jun 2003, 17:17
You've got the spirit of the game,Leo!
JC IS Deus Ex. He is the Deus(which is,God in latin)!

sean74
19th Jun 2003, 17:25
Not sure what "Deus Ex" by itself is supposed to mean, but if I recall correctly "Deus Ex Machina" (sp?) is "tool of the gods" or "hand of the gods" A plot device where the hero of a story is just magically saved from some predicament, usually by the gods.

anyway, cool title... gives you the idea that JC has the might of a god.. and if you get your augs all the way up it's just about as good as being in "god mode" Turn on ballistic protection and regeneration, and crap.. that one that blows up rockets aimed at you? And you can pretty much just stand toe-to-toe with a military bot and let it take itself out when it's own rockets blow up in it's face :)

Mens_Mentis
19th Jun 2003, 17:27
Trust me...i know latin pretty well... i think it refers to the illuminati who once ruled the world but now...they don't.which is: they ruled=gods not anymore=ex.
This is one more reason why Deus Ex 2 should follow the illuminati ending...

WSimons
19th Jun 2003, 17:28
You're right about JC being the game, he's the best!! I suppose maybe they wanted to differentiate this particular thing in the game so users don't get bored of him.

Leo
19th Jun 2003, 17:30
if u know what is Deus .. what oes the Ex mean in this case ..? :)

Mens_Mentis
19th Jun 2003, 17:31
as I said Ex= not anymore, as the Illuminati aren't ruling anymore and you'll restore that power...

sean74
19th Jun 2003, 17:34
http://newark.rutgers.edu/~jlynch/Terms/deusexmachina.html

In some ancient Greek drama, an apparently insoluble crisis was solved by the intervention of a god, often brought on stage by an elaborate piece of equipment. This "god from the machine" was literally a deus ex machina.
Few modern works feature deities suspended by wires from the ceiling, but the term deus ex machina is still used for cases where an author uses some improbable (and often clumsy) plot device to work his or her way out of a difficult situation. When the cavalry comes charging over the hill or when the impoverished hero is relieved by an unexpected inheritance, it's often called a deus ex machina.

Mens_Mentis
19th Jun 2003, 17:36
interesting page...but I still think I'm right...

sean74
19th Jun 2003, 17:41
http://www.planetdeusex.com/dx1/info/faq/#II.1

1. What does Deus Ex mean?

Deus Ex comes from the Latin phrase Deus Ex Machina -- or god from the machine. In Greek tragedy, the "god" descended onto the stage via a crane to quickly and neatly resolve the drama. Warren Spector chose it because he thought it sounded cool and mysterious, and would also get people thinking. If you know where it comes from you know a little something about the plot.

:)

Mens_Mentis
19th Jun 2003, 17:43
Are you sayin that in 5 years I learnt nothing of latin?
A Deus Ex Machina means A=TO;Deus=God;EX=not anymore;Machina=Tool.
Deus Ex BY ITSELF means "that WERE GODS"

Leo
19th Jun 2003, 17:45
so it is a miracle or something?

sean74
19th Jun 2003, 17:46
dude you can argue it all you want, i'm telling you that's what the name of the game means.. Latin is a useless language to learn anyway.. if Warren Spector made a latin mistake naming his game, then oh well.. but that's what he meant with the name of it :)

(assuming planetdeusex is correct :)

[editted this post to be nicer]

Mens_Mentis
19th Jun 2003, 17:47
did you ever talk to morpheuS?he said you're another question from nature answered in another way.
In a few words, yes, JC is the TOOL cuz he's engineered and with all his augs, as the game description says, he's granted nearly godlike powers.
It could even mean that the Illuminati were the Deus Ex and you're gonna bring em back to power,and'll be desu EX nomore.

ikkyo
19th Jun 2003, 20:32
I thought the title "Deus ex" was a shortened version of "Deus ex machina" (tool of the gods)

In the greek-play sense when the hero got into a lot of strife he would be helped by a "deus ex machina", similarly JC could call upon some pretty super-human powers.

Any takers?

Joshman2105
19th Jun 2003, 21:52
I totally agree ever since i saw it on the shelf i thought that, maybe ur latin is a little shabby or maybe your teacher was just a moron, but JC is the tool of the gods

Mens_Mentis
19th Jun 2003, 22:07
nope,
deus ex by itself means "god no more,"BUT deus ex machina...well,it's all another thing...i was talkin about deus ex alone and what THAT could mean in the game, not DEUS EX MACHINA.

Joshman2105
20th Jun 2003, 01:44
well deus ex machina is much more obvious for the average gamer, most of us dont take latin classes to interpret our games, but i still bet on the fact that it is a shortened version of deus ex machina

TheDerf
20th Jun 2003, 02:54
I think Warren Spector purposely chose the title for this game so that somewhere in the forums, people would be arguing about what it means and what it refers to. Maybe he's a bigger genius than we all took him for.:rolleyes:

unimatrix030
20th Jun 2003, 06:55
I think they will use the helios ending.
Remeber in dx2 there is a grouo called the templars and there is jc group. There are nano-mass murder weapons(the only way to get the helios/jc entity out of somewhere?
Seems to me that the illuminati wants to take over the world from jc/helios... .And alex needs to choose witch ones are the good ones... .

Dr Quincy
20th Jun 2003, 20:29
Gentlemen (and ladies one would assume) - the viability of the "Dark Age" ending as a starting point for the next game is clearly put into question as the HUUUUGE explosion caused in the reactor meltdown would lead to the death of Alex Denton - the main character of Deus Ex 2.

I rest my case.

Shame on you all.

NoNicknameForMe
20th Jun 2003, 23:05
There is always SOME kind of BS story writers can use, you never read comics as a kid, did you?

Joshman2105
20th Jun 2003, 23:43
Yea but even so they cant bs as far as saying o he survived a nuclear explosion...i think it must be the illuminati ending

NoNicknameForMe
20th Jun 2003, 23:53
I've already done a thread like this on Ionstorm's but what we came up with was either all 3 are combined, or its a completly random chance of one of them with about a 50% 25% 25% spread of Helios, Darkages, Illuminati being picked.

Joshman2105
20th Jun 2003, 23:56
yea i agree with the 3 combined theory too, but that would take sum serious thinking to make work, how could helios operate if you blew him up

NoNicknameForMe
21st Jun 2003, 00:31
*shrug*

Leo
21st Jun 2003, 06:24
okey, mixed endings, very nice very nice, but how about Tracer Tong's ending?

Helios survives inside JC, Area 51 is saved in Illuminati, but Area 51 is destroyed in Tracer Tong's ending, somewhat does not make sense.

Maybe Alex climbed out of his tube and escaped with JC, then lost trackup on him and now in DX:IW one objective is to find the missing JC.

(wth, Alex climbs out of his tube?!)

NoNicknameForMe
21st Jun 2003, 06:28
After extensive research into the DX timeline and ethos i can firmly say that, I have no idea wtf the story of DX:IW will be at all.

I just hope Nicolette is around so I can shoot her ass for being so stupid in DX, the ho just runs of and leaves you when you are supposed to be protecting her, not good.

Leo
21st Jun 2003, 06:51
ask me, I would prefer to kill 'em all, kill every person in every level, even dogs and other stinking animals, yeah, I will spare JC though

DarkForge
21st Jun 2003, 09:08
I nevver knew of an exact translation, but I heard that "Deus Ex" basically meant 'something that silently resolves a conflict' (or something to that effect).

Sounds viable to me.

WSimons
24th Jun 2003, 19:21
Oh well the name isn't that important, it's the game that counts!!

ikkyo
24th Jun 2003, 23:42
:eek:
What is in a name? A rose that we call by any other word etc...

O.K. Good point, I think its fair to say we all love DX otherwise we wouldn't be here. We'd be out drinking and/or meeting women/ men or generally doing something else :D

I think we might be slipping from the thread a little too (though I dare say I've played my part in that)

Would it be fair to say that there are multiple possibilities for how DX:IW is going to start and the history the plot will work from?

Anyone think europe should have a bigger part to play in DX:IW? I'm just wondering if perhaps Alex might see a bit more of the world than JC did?

NoNicknameForMe
25th Jun 2003, 04:11
This is from the CD case of DX:

Main Entry: de-us ex ma-chi-na

Pronunciation: Day-S-Eks Ma-she-NA

Function: noun

Etymology: New Latin, a god from a

machine, translation of Greek

Theos ek mEchanEs

Date of Origin: 1697

1: A god introduced by means of a crane in ancient Greek and Roman drama to decide the final outcome.

2: A person or thing (as in fiction of drama) that apears or is introduced suddenly and unexpectedly and provides a solution to an apparently insoluble difficulty.

WSimons
25th Jun 2003, 04:32
So I guess it's settled then.

Big Ragu
25th Jun 2003, 04:37
I take it that the second definition is what applies here. JC being the solution the world problems.

DarkForge
25th Jun 2003, 10:14
Originally posted by NoNicknameForMe
2: A person or thing (as in fiction of drama) that apears or is introduced suddenly and unexpectedly and provides a solution to an apparently insoluble difficulty.

Yeah, basically what I thought:

Originally posted by DarkForge
I nevver knew of an exact translation, but I heard that "Deus Ex" basically meant 'something that silently resolves a conflict' (or something to that effect).

Damn, my memory is pretty good! :D

sean74
25th Jun 2003, 13:12
Not only is taking a latin class useless.. but it will cause stupid arguments over the internet :D

Catman
25th Jun 2003, 13:36
Hey, I took Latin in high school!

http://www1.iastate.edu/~wsthune/cps/ted/tedtsk.gif

Of course, the only thing I remember is the sentence Est omnia Latina ad me (which translates to It's all Latin to me).

http://www1.iastate.edu/~wsthune/cps/ted/tedwink.gif

WSimons
26th Jun 2003, 22:20
I didn't take it but I know the motto on the American coin, "e pluribus unum," means "Out of many, one."

Big Ragu
26th Jun 2003, 23:48
My teachers say I should take it to help me on the SAT. Did it help you Catman?

Catman
27th Jun 2003, 02:32
I took the ACTs rather than the SATs, but even at that, I don't thinking knowing Latin either helped or hurt.

Danny Byrd
27th Jun 2003, 04:31
I believe it is the Illuminati ending because on the www.deusex2.com is says something about a world government.... though I see nothing about the knights templar.

Also, the Illumnati didn't come from the templar... the illuminati supposedly came from hashishim theives and then was rebuilt again by adam weishaupt with the "bavarian illuminated". The knights templar came from the crusades... they took a capitalist approach to the tresures coming from holy land.... just as the italians took the trade routes...

Newt
27th Jun 2003, 23:25
I hear it will be a mixture of all three endings. My personal favorite was merge with the computer.

Sajentine
27th Jun 2003, 23:38
Originally posted by Newt
I hear it will be a mixture of all three endings. My personal favorite was merge with the computer.

How could it be all three. I don't think it is possible. Maybe you could elaborate on what you mean/ how this would be possible.

Lawnboy360
28th Jun 2003, 00:09
From PCGamer US August 2003:
...the story [...] would start from a point that's an amalgam of the three endings in the first game. "We didn't want anyone who [finished Deus Ex] to think that their choice was the wrong one...

Newt
28th Jun 2003, 00:17
A composite of all three endings makes sense. In the real world everyone has their favorite ending and Edios would not want to take sides -- rrright?
Since IW takes place X years in the future, anything could happen. A breakdown in networks, government, plague, war, etc., leaves some areas under the control of all three of the endings.
Regardless, I will miss JC as the ONE.

TheDeathAngael
1st Jul 2003, 02:40
Deus Ex stands for Deus Ex Machina.The original title of the first game was Deus ex Machina but Eidos & Ion Storm changed it because Deus ex sounds better. I am from Greece and i study latin at school & i don't think Mens Mentis knows better latin than me. Deus ex Machina or else The "machine" God was used in ancient greek tragedies to resolve the plot of a play. So in the game JC was the Deus ex Machina that saved the world maybe i don't know...But Deus ex surely doesn't has anything to do with the Illuminati.

Lawnboy360
1st Jul 2003, 02:46
No need to learn latin; I found it in the dictionary ;).
also:
http://www.google.ca/search?q=cache:U14_BZTAFRMJ:newark.rutgers.edu/~jlynch/Terms/deusexmachina.html+deus+ex+machina&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

In some ancient Greek drama, an apparently insoluble crisis was solved by the intervention of a god, often brought on stage by an elaborate piece of equipment. This "god from the machine" was literally a deus ex machina.
Few modern works feature deities suspended by wires from the ceiling, but the term deus ex machina is still used for cases where an author uses some improbable (and often clumsy) plot device to work his or her way out of a difficult situation. When the cavalry comes charging over the hill or when the impoverished hero is relieved by an unexpected inheritance, it's often called a deus ex machina.

NoNicknameForMe
1st Jul 2003, 08:57
Originally posted by Lawnboy360
From PCGamer US August 2003:
...the story [...] would start from a point that's an amalgam of the three endings in the first game. "We didn't want anyone who [finished Deus Ex] to think that their choice was the wrong one...

So you went to the future and read a PC gamer?

ATOMO
1st Jul 2003, 12:07
I've just finished DeuEx yesterday and I was completely shoked:eek: .It took me alomost a hole month to finish it and it was so cool.
I think the story continues from the point where I(JC) joined the Illuminati and when Everett told Jc that they will dominate the world with an "invisible hand,justesting,insinuating"the events on Earth.But ofcorse eventualy everything will lead again to the tyranny that was before and always, and so leading to WAR,an "invisible war",anyway.
I really don't think it will continue from the dark age,even if one of the members here said :"the world is just recovering from the catastrophic..." and that it makes sense.If it is like this,then how do you explain the screenshots(robots again,futuristic weapons,karkians ,even)and the fact that the action takes place only 15 years after,how could man kind evolve so fast to advanced technology again?
I would be curios to see what hapened after JC merged with Helios and becomed somekind of cybernetic God.
Anyway I can't wait to play the sequel....wich reminds me,when will it be ready?

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
1st Jul 2003, 12:34
only one solution : JC merged with Helios, detonated the place, ran away and joined the illuminati to control the world.

So you went to the future and read a PC gamer?

JC sent him

Lawnboy360
1st Jul 2003, 12:38
No, I just went to the shopping mall a few days ago. The August issue doesn't actually come out in August.

swimp
1st Jul 2003, 20:49
Originally posted by ikkyo

Anyone think europe should have a bigger part to play in DX:IW? I'm just wondering if perhaps Alex might see a bit more of the world than JC did? [/B]

*Swimp waves his hand*
I think they should make a Sweden-map. I want a Sweden-map. When you think about it, nearly all games are set in the US. It's just not fair :(

Hehe - seriously though, Europe would be cool. I just hope that the DX2 team are able to capture the ... true Deus Ex-feeling in the sequel, and that they don't rush it or try to change too much. After viewing the DX2 videoclips from GamersHell (Clip 3 (http://www.gamershell.com/download_2637.shtml)) I must say I'm picking up bad vibes from the Ion Storm office.

WSimons
1st Jul 2003, 21:07
I say there should be a Zimbabwe map. Just my opinion...

Lawnboy360
1st Jul 2003, 21:34
BTW, Chris Carollo (lead programmer) said (ion storm boards) that their e3 stuff was more action-oriented then the actual game because standard FPS stuff is easier to sell to big retailers.

operative x
2nd Jul 2003, 04:47
well with the definition from NoNicknameForMe some what resembles the combining of helios and JC and the catastrophy could be because they said in the begining of the new game a group of terrorist destroy chicago or some other city.

sean74
3rd Jul 2003, 15:45
Not sure why this board seems to be dominated by non-US English speaking people.. first time I've seen that happen.

And yes I realize the U.S.'s population only accounts for like 4-6% of the world's total population, but it's the best 4-6% :)

Joking aside, I was just curious as to why DX:IW seems to be of so much more interest outside the U.S. than other games (relatively speaking)

Lawnboy360
3rd Jul 2003, 15:53
Not sure why this board seems to be dominated by non-US English speaking people.. first time I've seen that happen.

I'm not too sure about that... there's a few non-US English people on most gaming boards...

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
4th Jul 2003, 07:45

I can think of 2 reasons

first all the US-English speaking people have gone to the Diablo 2 forum... (not likely)
or unemployment might be higher outside USA, leaving us more time to come and tchat here.

(or we have more time at work, like mmiself)

[SYN] Nexus
4th Jul 2003, 12:16
Or only non American people are smart and you do know that only smart people like a complex game like DeusEx :)

Im from Belgium

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
4th Jul 2003, 12:32
oh, nooooo
not another nationality flamewar!!

Lawnboy360
4th Jul 2003, 12:34
Nope, just a harmless joke :)
====================

And I'm a Canadian/French hybrid! Fear me.

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
4th Jul 2003, 13:44
sadly, humour only works when everyone has the same, and when more than 5 persons are in the same place, we can safely assume at least one won't get the joke. (how many are we on this forum?)

swimp
4th Jul 2003, 17:35
Originally posted by Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
sadly, humour only works when everyone has the same, and when more than 5 persons are in the same place, we can safely assume at least one won't get the joke. (how many are we on this forum?)

I think the question is Why we are here? Shouldn't we be over at Ion Storm's forum!? hehe

Lawnboy360
4th Jul 2003, 18:09
Have you been to the Ion Storm boards lately? Lenghty flame-wars about features that are/aren't in DX:IW. A sample from a 14 pages long thread about the lack of location damage on the player character : http://www.ionstorm.com/forum/viewthread.asp?page=10&pagesize=20&forum=AMB_AP619612110&id=18225

swimp
4th Jul 2003, 18:27
oh.

JeffDenton
5th Jul 2003, 00:38
Sorry if someone already said this because I have a lot of other posts to check out, but I read recently in PCG that the beginning of DX: IW shows the possibility of any of the endings actually occuring so as to not make you feel like you chose the wrong ending... that's a good idea if you ask me. A sort of conglomerate of the three: none completely sure of happening, but there are parts of each one.

swimp
5th Jul 2003, 01:02
One of the first game's signature features was its multiple endings, which let you confront different parts of a global conspiracy. Naturally the designers have had to pick one ending to be the basis for the next game's story, but they just won't say which one. - GameSpot Preview (http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/deusexinvisiblewar/preview_2910952.html)

JeffDenton
5th Jul 2003, 01:06
Hmm... I'm not saying it's wrong, but when was this announced? The article I read in PCG is from this month's issue. Maybe yours is more recent. We'll just have to see when DX: IW comes out!

Lawnboy360
5th Jul 2003, 01:30
swimp's post is an assumption of the author of a preview, february 2003
What you read in PCGamer was said by a member of the DX:IW team at E3 2003 (may).
Somehow I tend to believe the later is right.

swimp
5th Jul 2003, 01:37
Oh! Thought it was a recent preview. Silly me. Sorry for the mix up.

Lawnboy360
5th Jul 2003, 01:51
You will pay for that...

Oh yes you will...

:mad:

Lexusbeat
5th Jul 2003, 02:41
It seems obvious to me, but deus ex can only successfully continue from one of the three endings, the Helios one.
Obviously Alex would get destroyed in the new dark age ending.
The Illuminati ending has been discounted, in my point of view because of the fact, that Harvey Smith said in a review with hyper that JC was "...he is now the more optimal JC from a story stand point. He is going to be taking a stand ethically speaking." it would be difficult for someone who was ethically upstanding to support the Illuminati.
But i do not believe that it could follow on from the Helios plot device because of the way in EVERY preview that Edios has published they say they say its going to be a "surprise" or "interesting" and thats what Im hoping for :D

P.S Hyper is an Australian/New Zealand mag dont go looking for it unless you live in NZ or Au ... or you could go to there site www.hyperactive.com.au

UnConeD
8th Jul 2003, 19:03
Hehe speculation is always fun (as opposed to mindless bashing/praising something no-one except for the dev's have played).

Some points I'd like to add:

- If they cloned JC and Alex from Paul, then they probably still had samples of DNA stowed away somewhere (e.g. Versalife). If the Alex in the pod died in the explosion-ending, then they might've just cloned him again, and named him Alex, because the original one never lived.
This might also be an explanation of why Alex can be female in DE:IW, even though the body in the pod was male ;).

- At the end of DE, nanotechnology has reached amazing power. Perhaps this is exaggerated in the game, but the Universal Constructor was pretty much instant and could do pretty much anything. If this technology *hadn't* been destroyed, wouldn't the world be plunged into chaos anyway, being given unlimited production capacity?

- I never quite understood how the JC+Helios ending worked. How would they 'rule the world'? Helios has merged into JC, so he longer has access to all communications right? I think this ending doesn't leave JC as a God, but rather an incredibly smart person with augmentations.

- If Area 51 was destroyed, only global communication would be destroyed. Society would be returned back to before the information revolution... not really a dark age. And with some effort, things could certainly be restored again within 10 years.

For me, any ending is really possible ;). In the game, I took the Helios ending...

WSimons
10th Jul 2003, 15:30
Wow that's too much to think about. I'm just going to wait and see.

JeffDenton
12th Jul 2003, 04:20
I just figured it out for SURE: They hired a writer to make a conglomerate of the three endings, to make sure no one thought they made the wrong choice of ending. Not that it matters much, 'cause we all did all three endings. Right?

cball05
15th Jul 2003, 16:46
Originally posted by JeffDenton
I just figured it out for SURE: They hired a writer to make a conglomerate of the three endings

He better be pretty darn talented - he has to have JC destroy, merge with, and control Helios all at the same time! I'm not being totally sarcastic - actually, I was thinking along these lines too. Here's an idea: early in the game, someone asks your character about Helios and you can respond in three ways, revealing how you thought the last game ended. Something like that, maybe, or something so ambiguous that we don't know what happened to Helios and we can only guess about which ending they used :confused:

WSimons
22nd Jul 2003, 18:12
Yeah maybe that or perhaps we can choose which story, before the game starts, we want to continue off of.

Mr.Tellurian
22nd Jul 2003, 23:49
I guess that's quite impropable. I think the major Ending was the Illuminati-take-over-MJXII-thing. At least thats what I last heard from where they want to take off and rebuild the world.
I mean let's face It, somehow JC had to decide the fate of the World in Area51. Each choice led to another World-to-come.
I don't think the endings are even close to being merged, and I don't think the developers make up 3 different plots...
I mean there never was a C&C-Sequel where NOD had won the war... Just for example...

cball05
23rd Jul 2003, 14:53
Originally posted by Mr.Tellurian
I mean there never was a C&C-Sequel where NOD had won the war

Good point - I agree that the Illuminati ending is by far the most well-developed ending and includes words like "not yet" (implying a sequel) and "invisible hand" (connection to invisible war?), so if they had to choose one that would definately be it. However, let me remind you that in the C&C GDI ending you think that kane is dead but he comes back, so they do not completely stay true to the ending - they do a bit of a mix. However, I'm hoping that DX2 is a little more interesting than that. If you haven't seen the "alex controversy" thread, take a look - it shows how the destruction of Area 51 did not necessarily kill alex and could be a possibility as well.